[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499008 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3350 on: September 18, 2018, 01:35:20 PM »
Ummm, a 1300 OPS is super prime Babe Ruth territory.  I don't think anyone was suggesting that the type of play to be expected of Granderson.

Wasn't reading it that way, just pointing out that the "overlooked' player is actually killing it!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3351 on: September 18, 2018, 01:36:53 PM »
I have more confidence that the Brewers can win a best of 5 and best of 7 series than I have in the Brewers winning a do or die game to get into those longer series.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3352 on: September 18, 2018, 01:43:08 PM »
I have more confidence that the Brewers can win a best of 5 and best of 7 series than I have in the Brewers winning a do or die game to get into those longer series.

I don't think that's a brewers exclusive.  The single game wild card elimination isn't a very 'baseball-y' thing to do.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3353 on: September 18, 2018, 01:44:40 PM »
I don't think that's a brewers exclusive.  The single game wild card elimination isn't a very 'baseball-y' thing to do.

Which is ironically why many people like it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3354 on: September 18, 2018, 02:55:13 PM »
Crapshoot, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3355 on: September 18, 2018, 06:59:06 PM »
Crapshoot, aina?

No, just win your division. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3356 on: September 18, 2018, 10:07:44 PM »
No, just win your division.

Yep. I have very little sympathy for the teams that have to play 1-game playoffs. Don't like it? Win more games. The Brewers certainly had many chances to beat the Cubbies (and other teams) to end up with one more win than their rivals.

It's why I never whine about NCAA tournament bubble teams getting "screwed," either. Don't wanna get screwed? Win another game or two!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3357 on: September 18, 2018, 11:51:46 PM »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #3358 on: September 19, 2018, 02:10:47 AM »
Yep. I have very little sympathy for the teams that have to play 1-game playoffs. Don't like it? Win more games. The Brewers certainly had many chances to beat the Cubbies (and other teams) to end up with one more win than their rivals.

It's why I never whine about NCAA tournament bubble teams getting "screwed," either. Don't wanna get screwed? Win another game or two!

While I agree with your NCAA opinion, not sure I do with your MLB one. I just think that rolling into the wildcard, a sub par team to you shouldn't have the opportunity to take you down due to a single rotational stud. Baseball is one of the few sports that plays enough games to truly effectively demonstrate the results and I think it is dumb that they base advancement on the same number of games as a league that plays 16 regular season matchups. Then again I am just a simple finance guy.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3359 on: September 19, 2018, 08:27:25 AM »

If they can win the "best of 162" they won't have to win a one game "do or die".

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3360 on: September 19, 2018, 08:32:04 AM »
While I agree with your NCAA opinion, not sure I do with your MLB one. I just think that rolling into the wildcard, a sub par team to you shouldn't have the opportunity to take you down due to a single rotational stud. Baseball is one of the few sports that plays enough games to truly effectively demonstrate the results and I think it is dumb that they base advancement on the same number of games as a league that plays 16 regular season matchups. Then again I am just a simple finance guy.

Logically I agree with you.  But playoffs aren't really about logic.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3361 on: September 19, 2018, 10:34:20 AM »
Logically I agree with you.  But playoffs aren't really about logic.

This is where I come out as well.  Any MLB playoff design will suffer from a "too small of a sample size" problem.  There just isn't a good way to shrink a 162 game, 600 AB per player, 200 IP per pitcher, season into an abbreviated playoff structure.  Maybe a 3 game short wild card series could make some sense vs the single game.  But then the winner would be able to bring their ace back for Game 1 of the Divisionals - and having to burn your ace on the WC is my favorite thing about it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3362 on: September 19, 2018, 10:38:54 AM »
The problem with the argument of "win your division" or "win more games" is that in both leagues this year the team with the 2nd best record in each league is probably going to end up playing in the Wild Card game, and then the 2 teams with the best records in each league are going to match up in the Divisional Series if each of those teams win the Wild Card game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3363 on: September 19, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »
The problem with the argument of "win your division" or "win more games" is that in both leagues this year the team with the 2nd best record in each league is probably going to end up playing in the Wild Card game, and then the 2 teams with the best records in each league are going to match up in the Divisional Series if each of those teams win the Wild Card game.

Bingo.  I prefer the NBA's structure, where you can take credit for winning your division, but winning your division is really meaningless when it comes to the playoffs. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3364 on: September 19, 2018, 11:30:17 AM »

As I have said before, but that is why I prefer no divisions.  Top 5 teams from each league makes the playoffs.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3365 on: September 19, 2018, 11:34:49 AM »
This is where I come out as well.  Any MLB playoff design will suffer from a "too small of a sample size" problem.  There just isn't a good way to shrink a 162 game, 600 AB per player, 200 IP per pitcher, season into an abbreviated playoff structure.  Maybe a 3 game short wild card series could make some sense vs the single game.  But then the winner would be able to bring their ace back for Game 1 of the Divisionals - and having to burn your ace on the WC is my favorite thing about it.

Really the second Wild Card is a pure gimmick.  It keeps more teams in the hunt every year and the "one off" nature of the WC game was an attempt to draw viewers. 

And that's fine.  I've long gotten over the "we're watering down the playoffs" mode of thinking - in all sports.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3366 on: September 19, 2018, 11:55:15 AM »
Personally, I think the MLB playoffs could use a little watering down. Only 33% of your teams making the postseason always seemed crazy to me. And if they add two more expansion teams...
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3367 on: September 19, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »

I know what you are saying, but I think I disagree.  Teams have so many chances, especially within their divisions.  The Brewers are 3.5 back, and they are 8-11 against the Cubs.  They are 5-11 against the Pirates.  If the Brewers don't win their division, it is most likely due to their play within their division.  They are currently 3 games under .500 in division play.  The Cubs are 5 over in division play. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3368 on: September 19, 2018, 12:06:03 PM »
Personally, I think the MLB playoffs could use a little watering down. Only 33% of your teams making the postseason always seemed crazy to me. And if they add two more expansion teams...

Less regular season and more post season would do MLB some good.  If you ended it after last weekend, you would have some time for two, three game Wild Card series in each league.  Division series could start next Monday.  It's never going to happen though.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3369 on: September 19, 2018, 12:09:21 PM »

Less regular season and more post season would do MLB some good.  If you ended it after last weekend, you would have some time for two, three game Wild Card series in each league.  Division series could start next Monday.  It's never going to happen though.

That leaves the division winners sitting for a while, which could be problematic for their timing, etc.  If you have hitters going a week or more without seeing live pitching, it may give an advantage to the wild card team, which doesn't seem right. 

And even with more teams making the playoffs in the NBA, for example, the number of teams with a legit shot a making the finals is what 4-ish usually?  Those first round match-ups are seldom very compelling. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 12:11:50 PM by buckchuckler »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3370 on: September 19, 2018, 01:06:27 PM »
Looking at Yelich and Baez, it's pretty tough to parse the two. WAR is similar, Yelich has the edge in the averages, Baez the edge in many raw stats (HR, RBI, total bases).

While many partisan fans have their guy, it feels like it will come down to best player on the best team for national voters. Am I the only one that thinks the player that is on the NL Central winning team will also be MVP?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3371 on: September 19, 2018, 01:39:15 PM »
Looking at Yelich and Baez, it's pretty tough to parse the two. WAR is similar, Yelich has the edge in the averages, Baez the edge in many raw stats (HR, RBI, total bases).

While many partisan fans have their guy, it feels like it will come down to best player on the best team for national voters. Am I the only one that thinks the player that is on the NL Central winning team will also be MVP?

You are probably right, I have to say I don't understand why Arenado and Goldy aren't really in the picture.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3372 on: September 19, 2018, 01:50:57 PM »
That leaves the division winners sitting for a while, which could be problematic for their timing, etc.  If you have hitters going a week or more without seeing live pitching, it may give an advantage to the wild card team, which doesn't seem right. 

And even with more teams making the playoffs in the NBA, for example, the number of teams with a legit shot a making the finals is what 4-ish usually?  Those first round match-ups are seldom very compelling. 

But people watch though.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3373 on: September 19, 2018, 01:59:06 PM »
I find the MLB regular season to be the worst of all the major sports/the one I watch the least of (especially if it's not "my" team playing in a game), but I think it might be my favorite playoffs in professional sports.

The one game Wild Card is fun, but I do think overall I wish it would be the 3 division winners and one Wild Card.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3374 on: September 19, 2018, 02:03:18 PM »
We are seeing some historically bad seasons this year with quite a few teams opting for a complete rebuild (potentially 5 100 loss teams).  Would that be the case if there were an expanded playoff format in place?  It's true that in the NBA with expanded playoff its easy to get stuck between complete rebuild and legit contender (bucks for the last two years).  However would not be the case in baseball.  In 2011 the team that had the worst record among playoff teams won the World Series, in 2014 neither World Series team had 90 regular season wins.  If teams knew that they could make the playoffs with 80-85 wins there would be less tanking because once you're there, anyone can win, which is not the case in the NBA.  Sure some teams would still pull a 76ers, but you would see more competitive and more meaningful baseball from more teams, which should equal more money.

feedback