collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498912 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3150 on: September 10, 2018, 10:36:42 AM »
Can all ya'll uppity Al Rokers quit fighting with each other for a sec and tell me what I really need to know:
 - Does Scherzer make his scheduled start at Atl on Fri? How many of that Fri-Sun series get played?
 - Is Wheeler's start at Miami on Wednesday safe?
 - Are the Phillies going to get their home series against Miami at the end of the week in?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3151 on: September 10, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »
I honestly would not be shocked to see that game moved to Milwaukee.

Would be a bummer for the Brewers. I’m sure the Nationals wouldn’t put up much of a fight if they are out of it. I would assume Houston or Miami wouldn’t make sense logistically.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3152 on: September 10, 2018, 11:27:35 AM »
Would be a bummer for the Brewers. I’m sure the Nationals wouldn’t put up much of a fight if they are out of it. I would assume Houston or Miami wouldn’t make sense logistically.

I'm not concerned at all. The Crew has a perfect opportunity this week. Win 2 or 3 and it gets interesting. Fewer than that? W/C.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3153 on: September 10, 2018, 11:29:40 AM »
With the White Sox being so terrible, do Cubs fans flock to Downvote Field like they do to Miller Park?  Or will that be a mostly hostile, pro-Sox crowd?

Sox have a respectable core fan base that shows up for the big games. Quite the knowledgeable crowd, honestly hasn't been hostile in quite some time, IMO. The Cell is a great place, excellent food.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3154 on: September 10, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »
Sox have a respectable core fan base that shows up for the big games. Quite the knowledgeable crowd, honestly hasn't been hostile in quite some time, IMO. The Cell is a great place, excellent food.

I've seen much more hostility at miller then Comiskey in my life time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3155 on: September 10, 2018, 12:30:54 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3156 on: September 10, 2018, 01:16:12 PM »
Honest question, do they factor recency into MVP discussions? Are stats at the end of the year worth more than stats at the beginning?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3157 on: September 10, 2018, 01:31:25 PM »
Honest question, do they factor recency into MVP discussions? Are stats at the end of the year worth more than stats at the beginning?
There is no official position on this, but if they do, it would be way down the list.  In MLB all games count the same, so I don't believe it ought to be relevant.  A game won in September doesn't count more than one won in April, though it may seem that way.  I'm having trouble thinking of a time where a late spurt got an MVP for someone, though that does not mean it has not happened.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3158 on: September 10, 2018, 01:42:27 PM »
I honestly would not be shocked to see that game moved to Milwaukee.

Rumor has it that the Miller Park grounds crew is going to be fertilizing the grass all day Thursday just in case they need to keep the grass alive for a few extra weeks before winter rolls in.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3159 on: September 10, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »

Didn't mean "hostile" as in combative fans, just "hostile" as in the fans will still mostly be cheering for the White Sox.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3160 on: September 10, 2018, 02:42:44 PM »

"They" would be the voters for the BBWAA, and they factor in all kinds of things that happen over the course of a 162-game season.

As for your exact question, sure, a player carrying a team late in a season to a division title or such definitely could be one of the factors considered.

Perhaps the best example of this was Oakland's Jason Giambi in 2000. He was already having a very good season but was neck-and-neck with Frank Thomas and A-Rod for MVP consideration before going 13 HR, 32 RBI and 1.380 OPS in Sept/Oct to clinch the award. (When it later came out he was a major juicer, there was a movement to take the award away and give it to Thomas, but it didn't happen.)

I'm sure similar scenarios have boosted other candidates in other years, but Giambi was one I knew off the top of my bald head.

I also am quite sure that the late-season factor is why guys like Yasiel Puig, Rick Sutcliffe and Doyle Alexander got a decent amount of MVP votes in past years.

I'm guessing that few voters place late-season heroics as the main reason for choosing a candidate, but certainly it's a factor. And as a guy who voted for BBWAA awards once upon a time, I think it's perfectly fine to have it be one of many factors. Others are free to agree or disagree.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3161 on: September 10, 2018, 02:54:58 PM »
Rumor has it that the Miller Park grounds crew is going to be fertilizing the grass all day Thursday just in case they need to keep the grass alive for a few extra weeks before winter rolls in.

Make sure it's nice and green for Ed Sheeran.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3162 on: September 10, 2018, 05:49:00 PM »

So, you want us to help set your Fantasy Lineup?  :)

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #3163 on: September 10, 2018, 09:52:47 PM »
Serious question, why is Yelich all over the MVP conversation, especially from the Brewer announcers, but nothing on Cain? 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3164 on: September 10, 2018, 09:56:51 PM »
So, you want us to help set your Fantasy Lineup?  :)

Not sure I understand that reference.

I would say the reason for Yelich over Cain is the home runs and RBIs. However, his defense is such an asset. I believe Cain is leading the NL in WAR depending on the site you look at.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #3165 on: September 10, 2018, 10:27:05 PM »
Knock knock
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Benny B

• All American
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3167 on: September 10, 2018, 10:32:29 PM »
Hader was...good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3168 on: September 10, 2018, 10:33:12 PM »
Hader was vicious.   ;D

Crew.

This is getting really fun.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3169 on: September 10, 2018, 10:35:02 PM »
Yikes. Think the Cubs are in trouble now. Look wiped and no off days for another ten days.

Afraid they are playing to host the Wild Card game now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3170 on: September 10, 2018, 10:38:47 PM »
Yikes. Think the Cubs are in trouble now. Look wiped and no off days for another ten days.

I think they get at least 1 of the next 2, meaning at least a 1 game lead. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if they won the next 2.

Lot of games left for them, but a lot at home.

The Brewers are legit though. Wasn’t sure what to think of their deadline deals, at both deadlines. The depth and experience they have available is huge.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3171 on: September 10, 2018, 10:45:54 PM »

You mean the Cardinals will have to beat the Cubs at Wrigley.

Boy that would be delightful!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3172 on: September 10, 2018, 10:47:11 PM »
You mean the Cardinals will have to beat the Cubs at Wrigley.

Boy that would be delightful!

Cardinals better start winning some games again if they want to play at Wrigley in the Post Season.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3173 on: September 10, 2018, 11:32:17 PM »
In the National League, only three teams have been mathematically eliminated.

In the American League, only three teams not currently in the playoffs haven't been mathematically eliminated.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3174 on: September 10, 2018, 11:40:57 PM »
Not sure I understand that reference.

I would say the reason for Yelich over Cain is the home runs and RBIs. However, his defense is such an asset. I believe Cain is leading the NL in WAR depending on the site you look at.

;D ;D - there's a reason you didn't understand. I meant to quote Burrow and my response was meant for him.

I gotta screw up at least once a day.

feedback