[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498462 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #2925 on: August 30, 2018, 10:18:41 AM »
It is weird.  Stearns by and large has done a great job, but everyone in the baseball world knew they needed a SP in the offseason.  They didn't get one.  Everyone knew they needed a SP at the deadline.  They didn't get one.  They are paying the price now.  The starters, that were largely overpreforming, are crashing back to Earth and the overworked bullpen is collapsing more by the day.  This was an obvious, glaring need that the Brewers chose not to address and it will very likely cost them the chance at the division and probably even the playoffs.

Not toot my own horn, but here are Gausman's stats since he was traded to Atl for next to nothing at the deadline:
DATE   OPP   IP   H   ER   BB   K   DEC
8/26   @Mia   5.0   1   0   1   5   W
8/21   @Pit   8.0   4   0   2   5   W
8/15   Mia   6.0   4   2   2   2   W
8/10   Mil   8.0   6   1   0   8   W
8/4   @NYM   5.0   6   3   2   2   L

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #2926 on: August 30, 2018, 04:16:20 PM »
It is weird.  Stearns by and large has done a great job, but everyone in the baseball world knew they needed a SP in the offseason.  They didn't get one.  Everyone knew they needed a SP at the deadline.  They didn't get one.  They are paying the price now.  The starters, that were largely overpreforming, are crashing back to Earth and the overworked bullpen is collapsing more by the day.  This was an obvious, glaring need that the Brewers chose not to address and it will very likely cost them the chance at the division and probably even the playoffs.

I'm not saying you are wrong.  This Brewers team absolutely needs another starter.

But, I think Stearns' refusal to pony up for a starter is understandable.  Starting pitchers can help you one or two days a week, but hitters can help you everyday, even if they don't start.  Almost every move DS has made since coming to Milwaukee has been to bring in hitters and relief pitchers, which represents a change in philosophy based on sabermetrics.  The value of starters is decreasing daily with the shorter outings and the introduction of concepts like the "opener" in Tampa (I think they have one of the best ERAs in baseball since they started the opener concept).  I'm not surprised that Stearns was willing to deal away prospects for two hitters he thought could shore up the offense, but wasn't willing to trade a prospect for just 10-12 starts.

Then, you have to look at the players that were available.  There's only two starting pitchers that were available last season that have panned out in Chacin and Arietta.  Jhoulys and Jake have VERY similar lines on the season, but Jake is costing the Phillies FIVE TIMES as much as Jhoulys over the course of their contracts ($75M to $15M).  Older, expensive players just aren't worth it any more.  At the trade deadline the best pitchers was Hamels, but he wasn't waving his no-trade clause to come here.  Guys like Gausman have over-performed since the deadline, but they weren't world beaters before.  Harvey would have been an ok addition, but Stearns wasn't going to overpay for a redemption project with a 4+ ERA.  Who else is there to go get?

Lastly, the Brewers rotation is about to be bolstered by the addition of Zach Davies.  At the trade deadline, DS thought we might still get Nelson back too, though it looks like that ship has sailed.  Why trade for a pitcher when you can "acquire" one coming back from injury.

That said, a strong play for a guy like Patrick Corbin or Nathan Eovaldi in the offseason could be huge for this team.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2927 on: August 30, 2018, 08:09:29 PM »
I'm not saying you are wrong.  This Brewers team absolutely needs another starter.

But, I think Stearns' refusal to pony up for a starter is understandable.  Starting pitchers can help you one or two days a week, but hitters can help you everyday, even if they don't start.  Almost every move DS has made since coming to Milwaukee has been to bring in hitters and relief pitchers, which represents a change in philosophy based on sabermetrics.  The value of starters is decreasing daily with the shorter outings and the introduction of concepts like the "opener" in Tampa (I think they have one of the best ERAs in baseball since they started the opener concept).  I'm not surprised that Stearns was willing to deal away prospects for two hitters he thought could shore up the offense, but wasn't willing to trade a prospect for just 10-12 starts.

Then, you have to look at the players that were available.  There's only two starting pitchers that were available last season that have panned out in Chacin and Arietta.  Jhoulys and Jake have VERY similar lines on the season, but Jake is costing the Phillies FIVE TIMES as much as Jhoulys over the course of their contracts ($75M to $15M).  Older, expensive players just aren't worth it any more.  At the trade deadline the best pitchers was Hamels, but he wasn't waving his no-trade clause to come here.  Guys like Gausman have over-performed since the deadline, but they weren't world beaters before.  Harvey would have been an ok addition, but Stearns wasn't going to overpay for a redemption project with a 4+ ERA.  Who else is there to go get?

Lastly, the Brewers rotation is about to be bolstered by the addition of Zach Davies.  At the trade deadline, DS thought we might still get Nelson back too, though it looks like that ship has sailed.  Why trade for a pitcher when you can "acquire" one coming back from injury.

That said, a strong play for a guy like Patrick Corbin or Nathan Eovaldi in the offseason could be huge for this team.

It’s tough too since free agents can be hit or miss. You can argue that Chacin was the best pitcher signing this offseason. Even Miley has had some nice stretches. I think all the trade candidates at the deadline were iffy as well. What it took to get Archer was pretty steep.

I don’t know what the right answer is for the Brewers pitching, but I don’t know if there was a move this offseason/deadline that makes a big difference. Granted, sometimes you catch lightning and get a guy that’s hot like Hamels.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2928 on: August 30, 2018, 10:52:51 PM »
Hamels and Happ (Yanks got him for basically nothing) have been pretty great. Lynn has been ok (Yanks got him for nothing).  Nathan Eovaldi has been solid, again acquired for nothing.  Any of those guys could have been Brewers.  An ace type would have been great for the Brewers, but they didn't need that.  They just needed someone to give them good innings and protect the strength of the pitching staff, the bullpen.

Oh, and a guy they could have had for nothing, James Shields, has a game log that looks like this this month:

6IP 5 H 2 ER 6K
7IP 7H 2 ER 4K
7IP 6H 3ER 5K
6.2 10H 7ER 5K (took one for the team to save a gassed pen)
5.2 4H 2 ER 3 K

While that isn't Clayton Kershaw stuff, it is keep your team in the game and give you a pretty good chance to win stuff, while also protecting a bullpen stuff.  I have a hard time believing they couldn't have gotten Shields in the Soria trade as basically a throw in if they had wanted him. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2929 on: August 31, 2018, 09:00:44 AM »
Another solid start for Lucas Giolito last night.  For a guy who looked like a lost cause early in the season, Gioito has really turned it around.  His last month or so has been one of the most promising parts of the White Sox season to me.  If he can regain any of the form that made him the top pitching prospect in baseball, even to become a solid middle of the rotation guy, it could be huge for the Sox.

His ERA is still, well, really ugly, and his overall stats on the year, are well, really ugly.  Despite this, he has been very good recently.  Over his last 10 (including starts against Houston, NYY, Boston, and TB) starts he has an ERA of 3.82, he is averaging 6.1 IP per start, and OPS against of .648, 57K/27BB (this was a major killer early in the season for him).  The team is 7-3 over this stretch (Gio is 5-2).  I know I was about ready to write him off early this season, but he has really looked pretty darn good recently.

The Sox season was all about growth and development, Giolito is starting to be a big factor there. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2930 on: August 31, 2018, 12:15:08 PM »
Cubs 10 game road stand is make or break for the Brewers.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #2931 on: August 31, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »
Cubs 10 game road stand is make or break for the Brewers.

Pretty much.  That loss column deficit is just too much right now.  Unless the Cubs lose to other teams (come on Braves!) the Brewers (and/or Cardinals...puke) can't close the gap on their own without sweeping the Cubs, which is unlikely.

That said, as a Brewer fan, I've been done thinking that the division was in reach for several weeks now.  I'm more concerned with the wild card so I've been following the Phillies, Dodgers, Braves, DBacks, Rockies, and Cardinals closely too.

If we sweep Washington and the Cubs lose 2 or 3 to Atlanta this weekend, then maybe I'll allow myself hope come Monday.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2932 on: August 31, 2018, 02:38:21 PM »
Actually 11 game road trip.

So do Brewers fans cheer for or against the Cubs this weekend since they are playing the Wild Card contending Phillies?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2933 on: August 31, 2018, 02:46:12 PM »

So do Brewers fans cheer for or against the Cubs this weekend since they are playing the Wild Card contending Phillies?

Head: For
Heart: Against
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2934 on: August 31, 2018, 03:17:00 PM »
Brewers acquiring Xavier Cedeno from the Sox. Brewers sure do love Sox relievers.  Swarzak, Jennings, Albers, Soria and now Cedeno.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2935 on: August 31, 2018, 03:18:10 PM »
Head: For
Heart: Against

I don't know.  I am obviously not either, but I would root to win the division and not the Wild Card, just because of how tenuous that 1 game deal can be.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2936 on: August 31, 2018, 03:46:03 PM »

True. But they won the make-up game yesterday. Magic number is 25.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2937 on: August 31, 2018, 06:19:57 PM »
Brewers get Gio.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #2938 on: August 31, 2018, 06:45:15 PM »
Brewers get Gio.

He is 1-4 with 7.47 ERA in six games in August.  Doesn't look like anything of value was given up, but it's still not very exciting.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2939 on: September 01, 2018, 09:46:19 AM »
Granderson as well.  Not a bad move for little cost.  Another option for the OF platoon since Thames hasn't been able to make contact for the past month.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2940 on: September 01, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »

They're ahead of Phillies and behind Cubs coming into this weekend.  Of course the Phillies.  Too early to write off division for the Crew, lots can and does happen in September.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2941 on: September 01, 2018, 10:08:11 AM »
He is 1-4 with 7.47 ERA in six games in August.  Doesn't look like anything of value was given up, but it's still not very exciting.

Cannot hurt. Other than Chacin, the Brewers SP are only 2 games over .500 for the season.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #2942 on: September 01, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »
Cannot hurt. Other than Chacin, the Brewers SP are only 2 games over .500 for the season.

SP wins no matta.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2943 on: September 01, 2018, 11:39:52 PM »
i hope hader is hurt or counsel should be fired tonight.

he managed the bullpen dang near perfectly the first half of the season. he has completely lost his mind the second half of the season. i have never seen an inning mismanaged as badly as this.

soria gets the first two guys. gives up a double and then a single to cut the lead to one. harper coming up. hader hasnt pitched in 2 nights. leaves soria in. walks harper and 3 of the 4 balls are 3 feet out of the zone. up to 30 pitches after having pitched 3 of the last 4 nights. counsel keeps him out there, first 3 pitches are 3 feet out of the zone. hes stepping off and whiping sweat from his face. walk. soto comes to the plate, he brings in jennings whos got about 1 guy out the second half of this season, has pitched each of the last 3 nights including spraining his ankle 2 nichrs ago, and of course gives up a 2 run single. counsel goes and gets lyles who has pitched each of the last 2 nights and he gives up a wild pitch run.

did craig forget he had september callups and 10 pitchers in his bullpen tonight? thats as bad as it gets and completely unacceptable.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2944 on: September 01, 2018, 11:52:47 PM »
I'm sure Hader will be fresh at home in October. Counsell baffles me. Jennings has been terrible yet he pitches almost every night.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2945 on: September 01, 2018, 11:56:48 PM »
i hope hader is hurt or counsel should be fired tonight.

he managed the bullpen dang near perfectly the first half of the season. he has completely lost his mind the second half of the season. i have never seen an inning mismanaged as badly as this.

soria gets the first two guys. gives up a double and then a single to cut the lead to one. harper coming up. hader hasnt pitched in 2 nights. leaves soria in. walks harper and 3 of the 4 balls are 3 feet out of the zone. up to 30 pitches after having pitched 3 of the last 4 nights. counsel keeps him out there, first 3 pitches are 3 feet out of the zone. hes stepping off and whiping sweat from his face. walk. soto comes to the plate, he brings in jennings whos got about 1 guy out the second half of this season, has pitched each of the last 3 nights including spraining his ankle 2 nichrs ago, and of course gives up a 2 run single. counsel goes and gets lyles who has pitched each of the last 2 nights and he gives up a wild pitch run.

did craig forget he had september callups and 10 pitchers in his bullpen tonight? thats as bad as it gets and completely unacceptable.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2946 on: September 01, 2018, 11:58:53 PM »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2947 on: September 02, 2018, 12:06:26 AM »
go talk about the bears going 11-5 next year.

Didn't say they were going 11-5. That would be silly to predict before this season is over and next year's schedule is out.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2948 on: September 02, 2018, 10:20:14 AM »
I tried telling you guys a month or two ago the bullpen was overworked. Giving days off between appearances really doesn’t matter if they are passing innings thresholds they’ve never passed before.

Luckily for the Cubs, the starters have finally started going deeper into games giving the bullpen somewhat of a break. Hopefully some September call ups can take some of the load as well.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2949 on: September 02, 2018, 10:25:24 AM »
I tried telling you guys a month or two ago the bullpen was overworked. Giving days off between appearances really doesn’t matter if they are passing innings thresholds they’ve never passed before.

Luckily for the Cubs, the starters have finally started going deeper into games giving the bullpen somewhat of a break. Hopefully some September call ups can take some of the load as well.

it has nothing to do with an overworked bullpen. it has everything to do with counsel mismanaging the bullpen. the bullpen is just fine...when they arent using the worst pitchers in it every night instead of the studs.

the brewers are 8-4 in their last 12, and should be 9-3, with plenty of good work out of the pen.

the only thing i can think of as an excuse beyond injury for hader is if he was up and went through a full warmup during the top of the 8th, game gets delayed for rain, maybe theyre told they might get going again in 10 minutes earlier in the delay, he gets warmed up again, rain doesnt clear and what they thought was maybe going to be a 30 minute delay turned into 2 hours and he had already gone through a full warmup twice so they sat him down.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 10:31:21 AM by WithoutBias »