[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498753 times)

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #2875 on: August 26, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »
Good solid start for Kopech. Besides some control problems with hit batters he’s gaining confidence and has pulled himself out of some jams.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2876 on: August 26, 2018, 08:20:20 PM »
Couple questions for you bud. 1) Sammy Sosa DID use PEDs? 2) Cubs fans WEREN’T accusing Daniel Murphy of using PEDs 3 years ago?

Pretty sure these are just statements with question marks at the end.

I agree with statement 1 and 2.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2877 on: August 26, 2018, 08:41:30 PM »
Pretty sure these are just statements with question marks at the end.

I agree with statement 1 and 2.

Thanks for answering the questions for VBMG as he would've deflected.  I assume his answers would be the same.  I guess PTM must've just decided Murphy was juicing a couple years after he was mashing at Wrigley in the Playoffs, and that PTM is the only Cubs fan who thinks so:

Altuve will have 10x better career than Murphy, more factual statement.

Also, juice.

As far as Sosa juicing, how dare you?  So sick that fans will take the focus off of the hard work that a player put in to get to the level he did and make false claims that deflect from that hard work.  The guy never failed a pee test, he didn't juice man.

Let me guess, VBMG wants hard evidence from Cubs fans that they used this argument for Arrieta not juicing or it wasn't said.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2878 on: August 27, 2018, 08:37:06 AM »
Haha I'm impressed you found one.

Also, that's dated 10 months ago.  Not the three years you stated.  ;)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2879 on: August 27, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »
Haha I'm impressed you found one.

Also, that's dated 10 months ago.  Not the three years you stated.  ;)

Which is why I said:

I guess PTM must've just decided Murphy was juicing a couple years after he was mashing at Wrigley in the Playoffs, and that PTM is the only Cubs fan who thinks so:
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2880 on: August 27, 2018, 03:33:39 PM »
https://theathletic.com/492092/2018/08/27/why-cole-hamels-cubs-turnaround-is-more-than-just-a-change-of-scenery/

No subscription for me. But I'm assuming this article confirms ww's assertion that Cub's pitching staff uses PEDs

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2881 on: August 27, 2018, 04:16:36 PM »
https://theathletic.com/492092/2018/08/27/why-cole-hamels-cubs-turnaround-is-more-than-just-a-change-of-scenery/

No subscription for me. But I'm assuming this article confirms ww's assertion that Cub's pitching staff uses PEDs

That's never been the assertion.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2882 on: August 27, 2018, 04:48:53 PM »

“A lot of the stuff that we noticed was that I wasn’t really engaging — my bottom half and top half weren’t syncing together. Just the drive that I was using, I was striding out too far and I was striding too open. By the time my top half needed to be utilized, the bottom half was already done. So it wasn’t working together.”

Hamels said to try and “re-engage the sequencing” of his mechanics, he shortened his stride and also started a more crossfire delivery. That helped get his velocity back, but there were still issues with commanding his pitches and getting the results he wanted.

“In doing that, that allowed my top half to really kind of be more in sync with the way that my hips and core were starting to fire,” Hamels said. “And then I was starting to do that, but I was starting to crossfire. So when I was crossfiring, I was starting to become more side to side. So my fastball, yeah, the velo finally started to go up, but now the fastball was being pulled.”

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2883 on: August 27, 2018, 04:52:23 PM »
Early in the season, Hamels noticed his velocity was down. In April, he was averaging 91.6 mph on his four-seamer, lower than any month since 2011. Despite being 34, Hamels had no doubt his arm still had more in it. His body felt as good as ever and he was in top shape.

By May, Hamels was averaging 92.8 mph on his fastball. In July, he was sitting an easy 93. But still, the results weren’t there. Hamels’ four-seamer was getting crushed and in July, the height of his mechanical issues, opponents hit .579 off his four-seamer with a .947 slugging percentage.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2884 on: August 27, 2018, 05:59:37 PM »
“A lot of the stuff that we noticed was that I wasn’t really engaging — my bottom half and top half weren’t syncing together. Just the drive that I was using, I was striding out too far and I was striding too open. By the time my top half needed to be utilized, the bottom half was already done. So it wasn’t working together.”

Hamels said to try and “re-engage the sequencing” of his mechanics, he shortened his stride and also started a more crossfire delivery. That helped get his velocity back, but there were still issues with commanding his pitches and getting the results he wanted.

“In doing that, that allowed my top half to really kind of be more in sync with the way that my hips and core were starting to fire,” Hamels said. “And then I was starting to do that, but I was starting to crossfire. So when I was crossfiring, I was starting to become more side to side. So my fastball, yeah, the velo finally started to go up, but now the fastball was being pulled.”

Really? No way a guy that old can just increase velocity through mechanics. Guess the substance assistance went beyond Bosio

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2885 on: August 27, 2018, 06:03:18 PM »
Really? No way a guy that old can just increase velocity through mechanics. Guess the substance assistance went beyond Bosio

Wait. So you’re going to continue to make the claim that Bosio was to thank for Arrieta and use Hamels as an example to prove it?

Hmm. What’s wrong with this logic?

I love Cubs fans.

At least you were smart enough to ignore my last post in here though.

Glad you’re excited about Cole’s 5 starts. Good sample size to make conclusions about a different pitcher...

A 28 year career minor leaguer becoming the best pitcher in baseball and a 4 time All Star who has a career sub 3.40 ERA.

Great comp!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:06:28 PM by mannionsworld »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2886 on: August 27, 2018, 07:48:25 PM »
Yall do know it takes more then a month for peds to improve performance

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2887 on: August 27, 2018, 07:49:35 PM »
Wait. So you’re going to continue to make the claim that Bosio was to thank for Arrieta and use Hamels as an example to prove it?

I love Cubs fans.

Glad you’re excited about Cole’s 5 starts. Good sample size to make conclusions about a different pitcher...

A 28 year career minor leaguer becoming the best pitcher in baseball and a 4 time All Star who has a career sub 3.40 ERA.

Great comp!

What about a comp with Kevin Gausman? Another highly rated prospect in the Orioles system who sucks at the MLB level. He gets traded to Atlanta and already looks like a world beater. In 5 starts, he has a WHIP under 1.00 and an ERA below 2.00.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2888 on: August 27, 2018, 07:51:36 PM »
What about a comp with Kevin Gausman? Another highly rated prospect in the Orioles system who sucks at the MLB level. He gets traded to Atlanta and already looks like a world beater. In 5 starts, he has a WHIP under 1.00 and an ERA below 2.00.

There seems to be a lot of evidence that the O's have no idea what to do with pitching.  Young pitching, veteran pitching, doesn't matter.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2889 on: August 27, 2018, 08:04:51 PM »

Stone cold called Gaus being excellent for the Tribe. Mostly because he's a second half pitcher, but leaving that dumpster fire helps.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2890 on: August 27, 2018, 08:41:20 PM »

I love Cubs fans.

Great comp!

Just riling you up.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2891 on: August 27, 2018, 09:30:11 PM »
Good solid start for Kopech. Besides some control problems with hit batters he’s gaining confidence and has pulled himself out of some jams.

Rodon-Kopech-Cease-Lopez-Hansen/Dunning/Giolito.
No sure things, of course, but that's potentially one heck of a rotation.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2892 on: August 27, 2018, 09:34:56 PM »
Rodon-Kopech-Cease-Lopez-Hansen/Dunning/Giolito.
No sure things, of course, but that's potentially one heck of a rotation.

And in 2019 or 2020 I expect the Sox to go after a top of the rotation veteran in free agency to lead all of that young talent.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2893 on: August 27, 2018, 09:52:16 PM »
I’m happy to have this Rodon, he’s been a dude this second half (5-0, 1.84 ERA, 0.93 WHIP). I was cautious about him due to his injuries and thought he had underachieved a bit, but he’s been arguably one of the top pitchers in the AL for half the year.

Sox are 19-17 since the break, they aren’t going to be bad enough for the third pick.

Once Eloy is up third week of April next year, they’ll be really interesting.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2894 on: August 28, 2018, 08:33:41 AM »
It was pretty much already known, but the Cubs have taken their first steps in launching their own TV network.  They have hired the former president of MSG Network to lead the new channel.

https://670thescore.radio.com/cubs-to-start-own-television-venture-late-2019

I'm hoping for something similar to the WWE Network which has a live 24/7 channel then a huge on demand library, either of which can be streamed to almost all devices.  All for a monthly fee of $9.99. 

Also, WWE Network was built by MLB Advanced Media.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:51:14 AM by TallTitan34 »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2895 on: August 28, 2018, 09:32:03 AM »
It was pretty much already known, but the Cubs have taken their first steps in launching their own TV network.  They have hired the former president of MSG Network to lead the new channel.

https://670thescore.radio.com/cubs-to-start-own-television-venture-late-2019

I'm hoping for something similar to the WWE Network which has a live 24/7 channel then a huge on demand library, either of which can be streamed to almost all devices.  All for a monthly fee of $9.99. 

Also, WWE Network was built by MLB Advanced Media.

I've been interested in watching this develop over the last few years. In Chicago, the Cubs have always been in a unique situation with respect to the other teams in town. The Bears are the Bears, and the NFL TV rights is obviously far different from the other sports. The Bulls/Sox/Hawks (as long as their owned by the Reinsdorf/Wirtz families) will always be tied at the hip on an over the air cable network. 15 years ago, it made sense for the Cubs to be part of CSN, it was free money, and alot more than WGN.

Now they're in a unique position where the Cubs Network will either be boom or bust. YES works in part because they used Francesa's simulcast and they have the Nets and an agreement with the Giants for football content. I'm not sure where the Cubs get content in the winter months in Chicago. I think they'll try to make Kaplan the face of the network eventually. I'm sure they know what they're doing and have a plan in place, the Cubs business people aren't dumb, I'm curious to see what content outside of Cubs games they'll try to put out there.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2896 on: August 28, 2018, 09:52:51 AM »
I've been interested in watching this develop over the last few years. In Chicago, the Cubs have always been in a unique situation with respect to the other teams in town. The Bears are the Bears, and the NFL TV rights is obviously far different from the other sports. The Bulls/Sox/Hawks (as long as their owned by the Reinsdorf/Wirtz families) will always be tied at the hip on an over the air cable network. 15 years ago, it made sense for the Cubs to be part of CSN, it was free money, and alot more than WGN.

Now they're in a unique position where the Cubs Network will either be boom or bust. YES works in part because they used Francesa's simulcast and they have the Nets and an agreement with the Giants for football content. I'm not sure where the Cubs get content in the winter months in Chicago. I think they'll try to make Kaplan the face of the network eventually. I'm sure they know what they're doing and have a plan in place, the Cubs business people aren't dumb, I'm curious to see what content outside of Cubs games they'll try to put out there.

Why are the Hawks tied at the hip with the Sox and Bulls? 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2897 on: August 28, 2018, 10:23:22 AM »

I was surprised the Cubs didn't get the rights to Hawks games for the winter months especially with the overlap between organizations.  I guess it's still possible they can.  Everything sounds very preliminary still.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2898 on: August 28, 2018, 10:29:29 AM »

Why are the Hawks tied at the hip with the Sox and Bulls?

Both the business and personal relationship that both families have. 50/50 co-owners of United Center, partners in Chicago Stadium Corporation. Behind the scenes the Sox/Bulls/Hawks have already been talking about options of sticking with NBC (most likely) or forming their own network.

Crane Kenney has already commented as well that the Cubs will have to go solo without help from the Hawks/Sox/Bulls.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2899 on: August 28, 2018, 10:50:52 AM »
Both the business and personal relationship that both families have. 50/50 co-owners of United Center, partners in Chicago Stadium Corporation. Behind the scenes the Sox/Bulls/Hawks have already been talking about options of sticking with NBC (most likely) or forming their own network.

Crane Kenney has already commented as well that the Cubs will have to go solo without help from the Hawks/Sox/Bulls.

OK gotcha.  Didn't realize the extent of their personal and business connections.

The Cubs could end up turning this into a LA Dodgers type situation if they're not careful.