[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498774 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #2450 on: July 30, 2018, 07:33:08 PM »
Really, children?

Trying to drive everyone away from this thread? Your goal is nearly accomplished.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2451 on: July 30, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »
Indians reportedly probing the waters for Bryce Harper. Intriguing.

I am so interested in what Washington does in the next 18ish hours.  What they decide could really impact the races.

I am not interested in any of the other BS happening here.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2452 on: July 30, 2018, 07:46:52 PM »
I am so interested in what Washington does in the next 18ish hours.  What they decide could really impact the races.

I am not interested in any of the other BS happening here.

Amen.

If they trade Harper, shouldn't they also try to trade Murphy and Zimmerman - two guys approaching their mid-thirties??

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2453 on: July 30, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »
Amen.

If they trade Harper, shouldn't they also try to trade Murphy and Zimmerman - two guys approaching their mid-thirties??

Murphy is a free agent after the season as well, along with at least Herrera and Madson.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2454 on: July 30, 2018, 10:02:46 PM »
Is there be anything more Nationals than making it publicly known that Harper is available 18 hrs before the deadline, thereby damaging your relationship with him, your vets, and your fans while not allowing other teams time to put good packages together, and then not trading him anyway?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2455 on: July 30, 2018, 10:12:55 PM »
I’d love to have Herrera, however, it sounds like they are asking for a package much larger than they paid to get him.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2456 on: July 30, 2018, 10:25:39 PM »
I’d love to have Herrera, however, it sounds like they are asking for a package much larger than they paid to get him.

Shouldn't they?  He is basically the last high leverage reliever left ( doesn't seem like Iglesias is available) and there are still a lot of teams that need him. 

They'd be crazy to ask for less than they traded for him.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2457 on: July 31, 2018, 08:10:11 AM »
Isn't apologizing and showing through your actions that "you're not that person today" sufficient for forgiveness?

Absolutely, he's accomplished the first part, hasn't had sufficient time to accomplish the second.....so we can hold off on standing Os for a bit. If he actively demonstrates through word and deed that he's changed (part of that is outreach) then I'll do a standing O for him myself if required. Until such time, I'll sit quietly and wait.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2458 on: July 31, 2018, 08:32:23 AM »
Absolutely, he's accomplished the first part, hasn't had sufficient time to accomplish the second.....so we can hold off on standing Os for a bit. If he actively demonstrates through word and deed that he's changed (part of that is outreach) then I'll do a standing O for him myself if required. Until such time, I'll sit quietly and wait.

Not just that, but consider Lenny's question: "Is there anyone, anywhere who hasn't said or done things as an adolescent or young adult that wouldn't prove embarrassing?"

That means that Hader basically did what most people do - realize that he said dumb things when he was young.  Is that standing ovation worthy even if he is showing that he's not that person today?  Or is that simply part of the process of growing up?

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #2459 on: July 31, 2018, 08:34:11 AM »
Is there be anything more Nationals than making it publicly known that Harper is available 18 hrs before the deadline, thereby damaging your relationship with him, your vets, and your fans while not allowing other teams time to put good packages together, and then not trading him anyway?

Harper’s played like garbage this season. That’s one of the big reasons why the Nats aren’t in first. But they’re only 5.5 back. Why not see if someone will make a silly offer and otherwise, call it a ploy to light a fire under the team? They need some kind of spark.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2460 on: July 31, 2018, 08:48:57 AM »
Shouldn't they?  He is basically the last high leverage reliever left ( doesn't seem like Iglesias is available) and there are still a lot of teams that need him. 

They'd be crazy to ask for less than they traded for him.

Except when they traded for him, they were trading for 3.5 months of use.  Now a team will only get 2 months of use. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2461 on: July 31, 2018, 09:03:51 AM »
Except when they traded for him, they were trading for 3.5 months of use.  Now a team will only get 2 months of use.

True, but with teams being more desperate, and the supply being dried up, if they decide to trade, him, I can see them getting more.  Maybe they won't for the reason you mentioned, but if a team needs a late inning solution with WS experience, well, Herrera is pretty much the only option.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2462 on: July 31, 2018, 09:08:24 AM »

Not just that, but consider Lenny's question: "Is there anyone, anywhere who hasn't said or done things as an adolescent or young adult that wouldn't prove embarrassing?"

That means that Hader basically did what most people do - realize that he said dumb things when he was young.  Is that standing ovation worthy even if he is showing that he's not that person today?  Or is that simply part of the process of growing up?

It's part of the process of growing up, but 99.999% of people don't have to do it in the limelight of every American with a television.  He has only himself to blame, but everyone has done something stupid and faced consequences for it.  Not everyone has their stupid issues pop back up 7 years after you're out of high school for the world to see.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2463 on: July 31, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »

I dunno, maybe I'm being naive but I don't think what Hader said was A) is common amongst youth to say out loud B) something youth 7 years ago were actively posting in a public forum. Now you can argue that I'm wrong because now there are at least 3 baseball players with the same issue, but I just don't think the level of vitriol is that common.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2464 on: July 31, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »
I dunno, maybe I'm being naive but I don't think what Hader said was A) is common amongst youth to say out loud B) something youth 7 years ago were actively posting in a public forum. Now you can argue that I'm wrong because now there are at least 3 baseball players with the same issue, but I just don't think the level of vitriol is that common.

I do agree with you.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2465 on: July 31, 2018, 09:46:41 AM »
Any y'all ever had a standin' O, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2466 on: July 31, 2018, 10:24:08 AM »
Thanks for being no fun at all Mr. Rizzo.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2467 on: July 31, 2018, 10:31:12 AM »

Yeah - there doesn't seem to be much of a plan.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2468 on: July 31, 2018, 10:57:42 AM »
Brewers appear to be one of the most serious contenders for Chris Archer. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2469 on: July 31, 2018, 11:16:43 AM »

I would enjoy this, even moreso for next season than this.  If Nelson can get back to what he was last year heading into next season there's a lot to like about the Brewers going forward.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2470 on: July 31, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »

I'm all in on this. As I see it, the Brewers will never be able to afford to pay a top-end starter in free agency. All of the homegrown guys that will contribute during this window are already in the system. So if you look at what you have and don't see a path to having 1-2 guys who can give you a full season of productivity, plus be a playoff workhorse, you gotta spend whatever you gotta spend to get those guys. Looking around the league, its Archer, the Mets kids, and that's probably about it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2471 on: July 31, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »

+1. I don't want the young man branded for life, but a standing O also is over the top.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2472 on: July 31, 2018, 11:45:24 AM »

Seems not to be headed to Crew based on latest info according to JP Morosi.  3 hours.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2473 on: July 31, 2018, 11:48:14 AM »
Seems not to be headed to Crew based on latest info according to JP Morosi.  3 hours.

Others are saying the Padres and Pirates are the front-runners. I also saw the Braves as the leader. Several reports also say that Archer isn't likely to go anywhere.

Gotta love trade deadline internet rumors!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2474 on: July 31, 2018, 12:04:57 PM »

The Nats should get creative and go the Aroldis Chapman route. Send Harper to Oakland or Pittsburgh (or somewhere who's definitely not going to re-sign him) but assure him that you're getting 2-3 top prospects back and you have $250M earmarked for him this offseason. Harper gets a chance at a ring this season and then he's theoretically coming back to a better Nats team next season.

Sure, you run the risk of losing him but you're running that risk anyway. Worst-case, you end up with a couple highly-rated prospects.