collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498848 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #2250 on: July 23, 2018, 04:39:09 PM »
I agree with pretty much everything wades said above. In response to the Pirates comparison, I'm not advocating holding the prospects for the big league roster. I think only a handful may realistically contribute within this competitive window. But even viewing the whole farm system as nothing but trade capital, I think you have to have a long view and try to maximize return, both in terms of talent and team control, to be competitive from 2018-2020. Of the players who could contribute to a postseason run, the Brewers lose literally no one next year, then only Chacin and Albers going into 2020.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:56:26 PM by MUBurrow »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2251 on: July 23, 2018, 09:29:44 PM »
It's pretty stupid for fans to give a standing O in support of a player who did something idiotic that hurt those around him. However, fans do stupid things all the time and it's never a good look. This isn't specific to one team or one city. It just so happens that it was Brewers fans looking like fools this time. Give it a month or two and another fanbase will make themselves look just as ignorant if not more so.

Just watched Pardon the Interruption. Wilbon prefaced his remarks by saying he thinks Milwaukee is an inclusive town, likening it to the Twin Cities and other places where he never felt racist overtones. But he also said that there sure were a lot of white folks cheering Hader and wondered if it wasn't part of "the Trumping of America." His words, not mine.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2252 on: July 23, 2018, 10:01:51 PM »
Cubs to start the game hitting leadoff and pitch in the 9th
(1908-present)

Anthony Rizzo tonight
Jon Jay July 6, 2017
Doug Dascenzo July 2, 1991
Doug Dascenzo June 10, 1991

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2253 on: July 24, 2018, 07:36:15 AM »
If you can't hit the meatball, you shouldn't be playing softball.

The idea behind those rules is to get another player into the game, not that the pitcher can't hit.  Often you are allowed to DH for any position, not just pitcher.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2254 on: July 24, 2018, 07:54:26 AM »
No Tebow in a Mets uniform this year.    Unfortunate injury. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2255 on: July 24, 2018, 08:10:23 AM »
Just watched Pardon the Interruption. Wilbon prefaced his remarks by saying he thinks Milwaukee is an inclusive town, likening it to the Twin Cities and other places where he never felt racist overtones. But he also said that there sure were a lot of white folks cheering Hader and wondered if it wasn't part of "the Trumping of America." His words, not mine.

I saw that too. It was a bit of a leap if you ask me. How many minorities were actually in the stands? It wasn't like it was a near 50/50 split with only the white people standing and cheering. Also, we can't exactly tell the sexual orientation of the fans who were cheering. Blaming Trump for stuff like this is the new "Thanks, Obama" ;)

I'd be willing to bet that no more than 1% of the fans cheering were doing so because they agree with what he said in his tweets and the other 99+% were cheering because they were showing support for one of the best players on their favorite team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2256 on: July 24, 2018, 08:29:08 AM »
I saw that too. It was a bit of a leap if you ask me. How many minorities were actually in the stands? It wasn't like it was a near 50/50 split with only the white people standing and cheering. Also, we can't exactly tell the sexual orientation of the fans who were cheering. Blaming Trump for stuff like this is the new "Thanks, Obama" ;)

I'd be willing to bet that no more than 1% of the fans cheering were doing so because they agree with what he said in his tweets and the other 99+% were cheering because they were showing support for one of the best players on their favorite team.

But there is a third category of people who didn't agree with the tweets, but thought that the whole thing was a PC overreaction.  They were cheering to "own the libs."

But by and large I agree that most of the people who were cheering were doing so to support the guy. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2257 on: July 24, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »
No Tebow in a Mets uniform this year.    Unfortunate injury.

Fortunate for Mets fans to not have to deal with that sideshow during another abysmal season.  If he was just another minor leaguer, he's not getting talked about as a call up from AA when he's not top 20 in any hitting category in a 12 team league and was hitting under .250, as a career .225-.230 hitter, until he had a hot streak the last month.

Good guy, pretty solid CFB analyst, clearly an exceptional overall athlete...not a baseball player worthy of conversation or even promotion to AAA, much less playing at Citi Field.  He'd hit .125

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2258 on: July 24, 2018, 09:44:40 AM »
I agree with all of this except the notion that the Mets don't need a sideshow.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2259 on: July 24, 2018, 09:51:48 AM »
Fortunate for Mets fans to not have to deal with that sideshow during another abysmal season.  If he was just another minor leaguer, he's not getting talked about as a call up from AA when he's not top 20 in any hitting category in a 12 team league and was hitting under .250, as a career .225-.230 hitter, until he had a hot streak the last month.

Good guy, pretty solid CFB analyst, clearly an exceptional overall athlete...not a baseball player worthy of conversation or even promotion to AAA, much less playing at Citi Field.  He'd hit .125

Tebow's hitting .320 since early June (38 games). He's not a MLB-caliber player but he's not total stiff out there either. I would have enjoyed seeing him get a September call-up. The Mets are a total disaster. What's the harm?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2260 on: July 24, 2018, 10:17:16 AM »

good observations MM

i believe, as well as the majority of the fans, that josh handled the situation very well.  he immediately confronted the issue head on, took responsibility, sincerely apologized (as opposed to the sorry if i offended anyone thing), agreed to everything MLB has asked and to my knowledge, has begun his "sensitivity training" already.  how much do people want to skewer the dude?  he had the support of his players and management.  they said that he hadn't exhibited that kind of behavior since they've known him

they were also applauding his performance
don't...don't don't don't don't

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2261 on: July 24, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
Things are calming down.  Time to spice this thread up!

Anthony Rizzo is the greatest leadoff hitter of all time (minimum 100 PA)!  Discuss.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2262 on: July 24, 2018, 10:55:57 AM »
Who, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2263 on: July 24, 2018, 11:12:36 AM »

Anthony Rizzo is the greatest leadoff hitter of all time (minimum 100 PA)!  Discuss.

A ridiculously small sample size.  100 PA is, what, 20-25 games?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2264 on: July 24, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »
After last night I would have thought that today's daily Cub boast would be how Rizzo is the greatest reliever of all time.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2265 on: July 24, 2018, 11:27:44 AM »
After last night I would have thought that today's daily Cub boast would be how Rizzo is the greatest reliever of all time.

Greatest two-way Cub since Brooks Kieschnick!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2266 on: July 24, 2018, 12:28:23 PM »

Is this a list of retired baseball mascots? 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #2267 on: July 24, 2018, 12:33:13 PM »
Rickey Henderson is the greatest leadoff hitter of all time.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2268 on: July 24, 2018, 01:05:17 PM »

Not statistically!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2269 on: July 24, 2018, 01:14:00 PM »
Not statistically!

He did have, like, 3K more hits out of the lead off spot though.  Not too shabby for 2nd place. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2270 on: July 24, 2018, 01:19:50 PM »

Poncedeleon is the greatest pitcher in MLB history (minimum 7 IP). Has never even given up a hit.

Discuss.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2271 on: July 24, 2018, 01:25:50 PM »
Willie Mays would have been better but he had more value lower in the order.

Ted Williams and his lifetime OBP of .482 would have been the best ever.  That lifetime OBP is the most amazing stat in my opinion, especially since Ted missed his 24, 25 and 26 year old seasons to WW II, which are normally around the very best three year stretch for a player.  He also missed almost all of his 33 and 34 year old seasons to the Korean War, but the season before and after them his OBP was .486, so not much difference.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2272 on: July 24, 2018, 01:30:37 PM »
Poncedeleon is the greatest pitcher in MLB history (minimum 7 IP). Has never even given up a hit.

Discuss.

Hahah, time to rename the award.  The Chris Sale is on track to win his first Poncedeleon award this season.  About time!

By the way, the Sox and Brewers are actually looking like they line up pretty well.  A package of Soria, Leury Garcia and Shields could help the Brewers in their rotation, pen and lineup.  Leury is a complete swiss army knife that could play up the middle on the IF and even fill in in the OF if need be.  Soria is controlled through next season and Leury isn't a FA until 2021. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2273 on: July 24, 2018, 01:30:56 PM »

Discuss.

John Paciorek is the greatest hitter in MLB history (minimum 5 PA).  3-3 with 2 walks in his only game ever played.  All at age 18.  I think I would have let that guy play in another game.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2274 on: July 24, 2018, 01:47:42 PM »

That goes without saying.