[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499112 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #2125 on: July 21, 2018, 11:00:14 AM »
Nope.  Different sport, different rules.  No different than the fact that football players can exit/return but baseball players can't.  Look, this is a whole 'I like the color blue better than red' argument.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion and there's no correct answer.  Doesn't need to be.

I was just commenting on your “more pure” argument. There is nothing more or less pure about the DH.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2126 on: July 21, 2018, 11:03:42 AM »
Worst umpire call in the history of baseball?  Hard pressed to think of one worse, though this wasn't played in MLB.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/umps-who-made-the-worst-check-swing-call-in-history-of-baseball-suspended-for-rest-of-season/
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2127 on: July 21, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »
Armando Gallaraga and and Jim Joyce will always be at the front of the 'Worst Call in History' line.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 11:42:59 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2128 on: July 21, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »

I was just commenting on your “more pure” argument. There is nothing more or less pure about the DH.

Well, except that it makes a HUGE change from Abner Doubleday's original rules.  Certainly the biggest of the last 150 years rivaling the 'one bounce out' rule that existed before the invention of mitts in the 1880s.  So yeah, 'more pure'.   :)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2129 on: July 21, 2018, 01:33:23 PM »

I don't understand how football having different rules than baseball addresses an argument about the NL rules being more pure than than the AL rules.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2130 on: July 21, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »
I don't understand how football having different rules than baseball addresses an argument about the NL rules being more pure than than the AL rules.

What I’m saying is that games change. The idea that everyone who played offense should also play defense isn’t “pure.”  It’s just change.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2131 on: July 21, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
What I’m saying is that games change. The idea that everyone who played offense should also play defense isn’t “pure.”  It’s just change.

But it's also not a rule.  There have been several players in the modern era of football that have played both ways.  It's just not customary anymore.  Like there's no rule that your halfback or your right guard can't be your field goal kicker.  But the Packers won championships in my lifetime that way.

And of course the game changes naturally.  Cy Young's professional experience will never be duplicated, not because of any rule but simply because no one would ever use a pitcher like that nowadays.  But they 'could' in theory.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2132 on: July 21, 2018, 03:31:23 PM »
Worst umpire call in the history of baseball?  Hard pressed to think of one worse, though this wasn't played in MLB.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/umps-who-made-the-worst-check-swing-call-in-history-of-baseball-suspended-for-rest-of-season/

Yes.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2133 on: July 21, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
Well I guess this was to be expected, after all the saying goes...

...."Haders gonna hate"....

Kind of like ....why were you surprised when...

"Bernie Madoff with your money"
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2134 on: July 21, 2018, 04:40:05 PM »

Nope. As tower pointed out, Jim Joyce blew an easy call that would have been the final out of a perfect game. A perfect game. In MLB.

It’s too bad it wasn’t a few years later as replay would have corrected the call. On the other hand, this play may have reinforced the need for replay.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:44:18 PM by TallTitan34 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2135 on: July 21, 2018, 06:56:26 PM »
Certainly the biggest of the last 150 years rivaling the 'one bounce out' rule that existed before the invention of mitts in the 1880s.  So yeah, 'more pure'.   :)

Did the game get "less pure" when they did away with the "one bounce out" rule?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2136 on: July 21, 2018, 08:49:54 PM »
@jcransik

The #Astros and #Cubs are trying to match up prospects with the #Orioles on a Zach Britton deal. Others involved too. Heard the O’s would like to wrap it up by early in the week. With Familia, Hand and Herrera having moved, it’s ramped up the pace of talks.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2137 on: July 21, 2018, 09:34:07 PM »
Seriously, a standing ovation for Hader?

Embarrassing.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2138 on: July 21, 2018, 09:38:08 PM »
Seriously, a standing ovation for Hader?

Embarrassing.

lol dude have you just had “josh hader” googled and hit refresh every 5 seconds since tuesday?

hope youve never applauded addison russel

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2139 on: July 21, 2018, 09:38:51 PM »
Most national baseball writers have tweeted it.  I tend to follow twitter during games.

Bad look Milwaukee.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2140 on: July 21, 2018, 09:43:40 PM »
@jcransik

The #Astros and #Cubs are trying to match up prospects with the #Orioles on a Zach Britton deal. Others involved too. Heard the O’s would like to wrap it up by early in the week. With Familia, Hand and Herrera having moved, it’s ramped up the pace of talks.
Yes This is Astros only real need and he is the target

We are hoping the Astros can get this one done. Their starters are no 1, defense is no 1, and relievers actually are holding on ok at no 2...but Giles flaked out and we lack that shut down guy late....a huge key asset in playoffs.

If McCann (DL) cant make it back this year...we may also make a move for another catcher

This Astros team is significantly better than last year but our key foes improved also so there is less notice. All healthy and back in the fall is key too
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2141 on: July 21, 2018, 09:44:03 PM »
Most national baseball writers have tweeted it.  I tend to follow twitter during games.

Bad look Milwaukee.

What would have proposed they do, boo him?  Team cheering on their player, no matter the situation, shouldn't be a bad look.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2142 on: July 21, 2018, 09:45:36 PM »
What would have proposed they do, boo him?  Team cheering on their player, no matter the situation, shouldn't be a bad look.

Does he usually get a standing ovation?  If not why did he get one tonight?  Because he used to be racist/homophobic but has changed?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2143 on: July 21, 2018, 09:48:19 PM »
Does he usually get a standing ovation?  If not why did he get one tonight?  Because he used to be racist/homophobic but has changed?

I don't know if the standing ovation was necessary, but you seem to take exception to the fact the people cheered for him at all. It sounds like you think he should be shunned for life.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2144 on: July 21, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »
I think it’s fine to cheer a guy, but a standing O? 

Why don’t the other players get a standing O for not being racist/homophobic?

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2145 on: July 21, 2018, 09:55:08 PM »

Bad look Milwaukee.

im sure if he was a cubbie wriggle field wouldve rained down boos upon him.

cubs fan delusions are hilarious.  go cheer on addison russell some more bud.  talk about a high horse.

yes he gets a standing o.  hes the best reliever in baseball and has been one of the most exciting pitchers to watch since coming up last season.

glad your team was in the middle of a 9th inning tie game with their "real" rivals and youre focused on the fan reaction of the "little brother" brewers to josh hader.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2146 on: July 21, 2018, 09:55:48 PM »
I think it’s fine to cheer a guy, but a standing O? 

Why don’t the other players get a standing O for not being racist/homophobic?

Because they're not all stars on pace for a historically good season. Teams cheering their best players is not exactly a new thing.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2147 on: July 21, 2018, 09:57:06 PM »
Yes he gets a standing o.  hes the best reliever in baseball and has been one of the most exciting pitchers to watch since coming up last season.

Exactly the problem. Just because he’s good he can get away with it.

If Nate Orf makes these comments I’m guessing there’s a much different reaction.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2148 on: July 21, 2018, 09:58:34 PM »
Exactly the problem. Just because he’s good he can get away with it.

If Nate Orf makes these comments I’m guessing there’s a much different reaction.

lol.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2149 on: July 21, 2018, 10:03:27 PM »
the dude whose favorite team played michael jackson's "beat it" as walk up music for a guy who beat his wife is talking about how bad of a look it is for brewers fans to support their player.

edit: and a team who played "smack my b!tch up" for their closers entrance music after he beat his wife.

classic.

stay classy chicago.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:05:32 PM by WithoutBias »