collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498840 times)

withoutbias

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1950 on: July 18, 2018, 08:06:56 AM »
I know plenty of 17 year olds. Most don’t tweet racist stuff. The youth excuse is dumb.

Really Brewer fans should expect more than that.

This season doesn’t seem like it’s going to end well.

quoted for you bud. wheres my reading comprehension bad? “I know plenty of 17 year olds. Most don’t tweet dumb racist stuff.”

so you either follow the 17 year olds on twitter or you don’t know what theyre tweeting, as stated all along.

you try to play it off like youre smarter than anyone who would question you and go all tough guy and ask for a quote. oops?

The answer to both of your questions is yes.

the answer to “Huh?” is “Yes.” now thats a new one.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1951 on: July 18, 2018, 08:14:27 AM »
Is it really that big of a deal following a 17-year-old on Twitter?

I followed Markus Howard on Twitter his freshman year at Marquette.  I’m guessing several people here do.  You may have heard he was 17 that year.

I don’t recall Markus ever tweeting anything like that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1952 on: July 18, 2018, 08:26:10 AM »
so you dont follow 17 year olds on twitter? but you know what 17 year olds arent tweeting without following them on twitter.

adds up.

You are picking a couple very peculiar hills to die on here.  ?-(
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1953 on: July 18, 2018, 08:38:57 AM »
People say stupid things all the time, especially when they're 17.  Putting it in print for the world to see, however, is not too bright, even at 17.

I tend not to worry about stuff like that, as I mostly care about what the guys on the team I root for do while in uniform.  Their personal life does not interest me much at all.

As for last night, I hadn't seen Hader pitch before and was looking forward to seeing him.  Too bad he didn't have his best stuff, though he could've escaped unscathed had Votto handled that pop-up.

I'm in this camp.  While it is never a good thing when something like this comes out, the one thing he can't do is let it affect the clubhouse.  LoCain said that they already talked about it a little in D.C., but I still imagine that Haders first stop in MKE is either Counsells office or Stearns, and immediately following that he'll address the team.  You can't take back what you tweeted, but you can, and have to, clear the air with your teammates. 

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1954 on: July 18, 2018, 08:42:23 AM »
People say stupid things all the time, especially when they're 17.  Putting it in print for the world to see, however, is not too bright, even at 17.

I tend not to worry about stuff like that, as I mostly care about what the guys on the team I root for do while in uniform.  Their personal life does not interest me much at all.

Ditto.  He said something stupid when he was a kid, he apologized.  Whatever.  Just play baseball.

The part that pisses me off more is a) this is egg on the face of the franchise after what has been a brutal week and could be a distraction that affects on the field play and b) now I have to deal with self righteous “holier than thou” Cubs fans online and in real life who will use this as another reason to crap on the Brewers.  And that gets on my nerves more than what someone tweeted when they were 17.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1955 on: July 18, 2018, 08:50:55 AM »
Ditto.  He said something stupid when he was a kid, he apologized.  Whatever.  Just play baseball.

The part that pisses me off more is a) this is egg on the face of the franchise after what has been a brutal week and could be a distraction that affects on the field play and b) now I have to deal with self righteous “holier than thou” Cubs fans online and in real life who will use this as another reason to crap on the Brewers.  And that gets on my nerves more than what someone tweeted when they were 17.

So you have a bigger problem with opposing fans ribbing your team than you have with a person making racist and homophobic comments?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1956 on: July 18, 2018, 09:01:30 AM »
Honestly,  it's why Twitter does more harm than good too often.  Glad it didn't exist when I was young when the limits of my own stupidity were more confined.  Glad I don't and never will have an account.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1957 on: July 18, 2018, 09:04:45 AM »
Hader has locked his account.

I don't understand why any famous person doesn't lock old accounts if they suspect they had something best kept forgotten and just create a new account going forward.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1958 on: July 18, 2018, 09:29:21 AM »
quoted for you bud. wheres my reading comprehension bad? “I know plenty of 17 year olds. Most don’t tweet dumb racist stuff.”

so you either follow the 17 year olds on twitter or you don’t know what theyre tweeting, as stated all along.

you try to play it off like youre smarter than anyone who would question you and go all tough guy and ask for a quote. oops?

the answer to “Huh?” is “Yes.” now thats a new one.

No.  Read it again please. 

And if me calling out your lack of logic makes me a tough guy - then I guess I'm a tough guy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1959 on: July 18, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »
Honestly,  it's why Twitter does more harm than good too often.  Glad it didn't exist when I was young when the limits of my own stupidity were more confined.  Glad I don't and never will have an account.

This.

It is not Twitter's fault, of course, but the temptation is just too great for some people, from some of the most powerful people in the world to dopey teenagers.

I see no reason why I would ever twit.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1960 on: July 18, 2018, 09:36:47 AM »

No.  Read it again please. 

And if me calling out your lack of logic makes me a tough guy - then I guess I'm a tough guy.

read again. “I know plenty of 17 year olds. Most don’t tweet dumb racist stuff.”

so either you follow 17 year olds on twitter or you dont know what 17 year olds are tweeting.

apparently youre the one with the reading comprehension issue and/or have an inability to type what you mean.

logic = i dont follow 17 year olds on twitter but i can tell you what 17 year olds are tweeting.

again, adds up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1961 on: July 18, 2018, 09:41:03 AM »
Starting to think we've misidentified chicos.

Or maybe this is just his alter ego.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1962 on: July 18, 2018, 09:42:14 AM »

Sorry but tweeting racist and homophobic garbage is not equivalent to "saying something stupid".  It is far beyond that.

If you feel that way at 17-18 years old there's a solid chance you still feel that way 7-8 years later.  Sure, people can change but I think that's more the exception than the rule. 

As someone pointed out, Markus Howard was 17 when he was here.  Would you have had the same reaction if he had tweeted anything similar?  He was just a kid who did something stupid? 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1963 on: July 18, 2018, 09:45:45 AM »
Why does someone have to follow 17 year olds on twitter to know that most aren't tweeting racist and homophobic crap? Isn't possible to talk to people about twitter and learn the same information?

Also I do follow 17 year olds on twitter for recruiting information. I can confirm that most of them don't tweet racist and homophobic crap.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1964 on: July 18, 2018, 09:52:44 AM »
Starting to think we've misidentified chicos.

Or maybe this is just his alter ego.

This guy is like the Mogwai that spawned on Gizmo's back in Gremlins. Chico is Gizmo, WithoutBias is the crappy Mogwai.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1965 on: July 18, 2018, 09:54:31 AM »
Eh,  I will say I think many here are overestimating how angelic most 17 year olds are,  and underestimate how much people mature from the time they're in high school to the time they're in their mid 20s.

Most 17 year olds have said things like these tweets or encouraged others who said such things at some point or another. Most are not stupid enough to immortalize it online.

Hell,  I know annoy everyone on this site with my wokeness and I can think of times when my 17 year old self laughed at things like those tweets. I used to think gay and racist jokes were funny. Does that mean I think they are still funny today?  No, I went to college and grew up.

Don't mistake me,  just because a lot of 17 year olds say stupid stuff didn't excuse the behavior. It was wrong when he tweeted it and it's wrong now. Hader is a guy who said some stupid things as a kid.  As long as he owns it,  apologizes,  and does better that's all we can ask for at this point.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:57:16 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1966 on: July 18, 2018, 09:57:32 AM »
Why does someone have to follow 17 year olds on twitter to know that most aren't tweeting racist and homophobic crap? Isn't possible to talk to people about twitter and learn the same information?

Also I do follow 17 year olds on twitter for recruiting information. I can confirm that most of them don't tweet racist and homophobic crap.

Thank you and thank you.

See Bias....reading is pretty simple.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1967 on: July 18, 2018, 10:26:16 AM »
Reading this in the light most charitable to Hader, he was 17 in a small unincorporated town in Maryland and may have had limited exposure to people and the world. In the intervening years he's certainly met and been exposed to the remarkable diversity of professional baseball and may have realized the error of his ways. People grow and change.

Has he? No way to know what's in his heart, but I hope he has.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:47:58 AM by jficke13 »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1968 on: July 18, 2018, 10:44:05 AM »
Wow.  This is a fun conversation.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1969 on: July 18, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »
Eh,  I will say I think many here are overestimating how angelic most 17 year olds are,  and underestimate how much people mature from the time they're in high school to the time they're in their mid 20s.

Most 17 year olds have said things like these tweets or encouraged others who said such things at some point or another. Most are not stupid enough to immortalize it online.

Hell,  I know annoy everyone on this site with my wokeness and I can think of times when my 17 year old self laughed at things like those tweets. I used to think gay and racist jokes were funny. Does that mean I think they are still funny today?  No, I went to college and grew up.

Don't mistake me,  just because a lot of 17 year olds say stupid stuff didn't excuse the behavior. It was wrong when he tweeted it and it's wrong now. Hader is a guy who said some stupid things as a kid.  As long as he owns it,  apologizes,  and does better that's all we can ask for at this point.

Yup.  This is where I'm at.  If anybody claims they never said something like that or laughed at something like that or quoted an inappropriate movie or song when they were in their late teens and then looked back on it in their 20s they're lying.  We've all done stupid stuff.  Sure, some of us are at least smart enough not to throw it on the internet for everyone to see, but the reality is even if we did, 99.99% of us would never be exposed for it.

Hader could be a homophobic racist today, but looking back on his Tweets from 7 years ago when he was 17 years old does not prove that at all.  To say that peoples' views and perspectives don't change much between when they're 17 and when they're 24 is absolutely asinine.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1970 on: July 18, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1971 on: July 18, 2018, 11:42:52 AM »
And Jacob Nottingham just deleted his twitter account. 

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1972 on: July 18, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »
And Jacob Nottingham just deleted his twitter account. 

youre all over this.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1973 on: July 18, 2018, 11:46:02 AM »
Well it's the first comment on the Brewers statement on their twitter page.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1974 on: July 18, 2018, 11:47:53 AM »
Look how far I had to dig!

feedback