collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499255 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1875 on: July 17, 2018, 08:11:34 AM »
My daughter, also not named chico's, helped me out.  She asked a great question, how will they know this isn't a bat pulled off the internet?  Therefore I laid my Wrigley bat next to a few Marquette tees. 

Thanks.  I'm a believer.  Chicago sports fan that isn't chicos that will fight until his death that LeBron James is, without a question, better than Michael Jordan.

Checks out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1876 on: July 17, 2018, 08:18:11 AM »
My kids were very excited about the HR Derby so we watched it together. It was the first time I've watched it in 10+ years. I have to say that it was much more enjoyable that I was anticipating (in part due to my kids' enthusiasm). I mean, it's still too long but the clock actually keeps things moving as opposed to when some hitters would take pitch after pitch after pitch before getting to 10 swings. It also helped that we started it late and through the magic of DVR got to fast-forward through some of the filler.

Oh, and Bryce Harper and his dad "bending the rules" in a hitting exhibition has to be the Bryce Harper-ish thing imaginable!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1877 on: July 17, 2018, 08:36:27 AM »
My kids were very excited about the HR Derby so we watched it together. It was the first time I've watched it in 10+ years. I have to say that it was much more enjoyable that I was anticipating (in part due to my kids' enthusiasm). I mean, it's still too long but the clock actually keeps things moving as opposed to when some hitters would take pitch after pitch after pitch before getting to 10 swings. It also helped that we started it late and through the magic of DVR got to fast-forward through some of the filler.

Oh, and Bryce Harper and his dad "bending the rules" in a hitting exhibition has to be the Bryce Harper-ish thing imaginable!

Yes, there was a bit of funny business and home cooking going on in the last round. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1878 on: July 17, 2018, 08:59:20 AM »
Yes, there was a bit of funny business and home cooking going on in the last round.

For the record (and before wades, buckchucker, etc go off), I'm fine with it. Harper was the hometown player so there's no harm in affording him some leeway. Hitting 9 HRs in 47 seconds is impressive no matter how you get it done. It made for good entertainment, which is what the HR Derby should be about.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1879 on: July 17, 2018, 09:27:34 AM »
As far as last night, this Derby format is lame.  The head-to-head bracket and timer are dumb.  Weird field with only one AL player.  Bring back the three rounds with highest overall totals advancing and 10 outs.  Baseball has no clock.

Disagree.  The new format creates way more excitement and speeds up an event which can drag.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1880 on: July 17, 2018, 09:32:33 AM »
For the record (and before wades, buckchucker, etc go off), I'm fine with it. Harper was the hometown player so there's no harm in affording him some leeway. Hitting 9 HRs in 47 seconds is impressive no matter how you get it done. It made for good entertainment, which is what the HR Derby should be about.

I think they should get rid of the rule about not throwing until the previous ball drops.  It penalizes guys who hit long majestic homeruns, plus it was awesome seeing Harper go rapid fire when need be.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1881 on: July 17, 2018, 09:44:49 AM »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1882 on: July 17, 2018, 11:05:51 AM »
The O's are apparently working through medicals on a Machado deal.  That is no small thing with them though.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1883 on: July 17, 2018, 11:28:43 AM »
The O's are apparently working through medicals on a Machado deal.  That is no small thing with them though.

Sounds like the Dodgers.  I'm guessing warriordad is piiiiisssssed.

Wait, no, nevermind.  He's a Cubs fan.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1884 on: July 17, 2018, 11:49:02 AM »
Disagree.  The new format creates way more excitement and speeds up an event which can drag.

Yeah, I'm with TT on this. The new format is the best thing to happen to the derby, even better than Berman retiring.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1885 on: July 17, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm with TT on this. The new format is the best thing to happen to the derby, even better than Berman retiring.

Had to watch it on mute when Berman was on. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1886 on: July 17, 2018, 12:23:37 PM »
Sounds like the Dodgers.  I'm guessing warriordad is piiiiisssssed.

Wait, no, nevermind.  He's a Cubs fan.

Manny to the Dodgers will impact the Cubs as much as (or more than) it will impact any other team.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1887 on: July 17, 2018, 01:40:37 PM »
Interesting breakdown of WAR by position by team.  A Cubs fan made it so that's why their logo is highlighted.

Shout out to Tommy LaStella.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1888 on: July 17, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »
Interesting breakdown of WAR by position by team.  A Cubs fan made it so that's why their logo is highlighted.

That is a cool graphic. Do they have it with all the logos highlighted? I was trying to pick out the other teams and couldn't make it out.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1889 on: July 17, 2018, 02:28:05 PM »
Manny to the Dodgers will impact the Cubs as much as (or more than) it will impact any other team.

I still think I'd rather him go to LA than Milwaukee. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1890 on: July 17, 2018, 02:29:53 PM »

What's amazing is some of the lowest values are Rizzo's and Bryant's positions due to injury and under-performance.  You could say the same about the rotation. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1891 on: July 17, 2018, 02:30:22 PM »
I still think I'd rather him go to LA than Milwaukee.

Now this is something both Cubs and Brewers fans can agree on :)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1892 on: July 17, 2018, 02:48:16 PM »
Now this is something both Cubs and Brewers fans can agree on :)

So Brewers fans don't want Machado or they don't want to pay the potential price it might take to acquire him?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1893 on: July 17, 2018, 02:48:34 PM »
That is a cool graphic. Do they have it with all the logos highlighted? I was trying to pick out the other teams and couldn't make it out.

Unfortunately this is the only one.

https://twitter.com/ScottLindholm/status/1019037510729691137

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1894 on: July 17, 2018, 04:03:45 PM »
I think they should get rid of the rule about not throwing until the previous ball drops.  It penalizes guys who hit long majestic homeruns, plus it was awesome seeing Harper go rapid fire when need be.

I didn't watch it but my son told me that Agui had a bomb that carried for an estimated 8 full seconds.  Crazy.  It must have almost achieved orbit.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1895 on: July 17, 2018, 04:08:43 PM »
So Brewers fans don't want Machado or they don't want to pay the potential price it might take to acquire him?

I'll say the latter.  The Crew isn't on the cusp of winning the WS or probably even a pennant.  Every price I was hearing for a 60+ game rental was too much in my eyes.  It's too early in the process for Stearns to really know who his 'in house' potential stars are yet.  And for the most part, the small market Crew must grow its own talent.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1896 on: July 17, 2018, 04:14:50 PM »

I can only speak for myself, but while Machado is a stud, I don't want the Brewers to pay the iron price for a couple of months of him.  The whole point of the Cain and Yelich signings were to keep the competitive window open for about 3 years (assuming some decline from Cain), and I think the trade capital is better spent on opportunities for controllable talent - even if the talent isn't quite up to Machado's level. 

Even if Machado killed it for the Crew over the final 64 games, its tough to see them being Vegas favorites to win more than a game or maaaybe two per series vs the Phillies, Nats, Cubs, Dodgers, or Diamondbacks. To me, if they're going to go for broke with a rental, its got to be the kind of rental (probably a SP) that significantly shifts your win probability in a short series. This is why I think all the CC comps are inapplicable to a Machado deal. I just don't think Machado moves the needle in that way, and the opportunity cost is astronomical.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1897 on: July 17, 2018, 04:19:51 PM »
I can only speak for myself, but while Machado is a stud, I don't want the Brewers to pay the iron price for a couple of months of him.  The whole point of the Cain and Yelich signings were to keep the competitive window open for about 3 years (assuming some decline from Cain), and I think the trade capital is better spent on opportunities for controllable talent - even if the talent isn't quite up to Machado's level. 

Even if Machado killed it for the Crew over the final 64 games, its tough to see them being Vegas favorites to win more than a game or maaaybe two per series vs the Phillies, Nats, Cubs, Dodgers, or Diamondbacks. To me, if they're going to go for broke with a rental, its got to be the kind of rental (probably a SP) that significantly shifts your win probability in a short series. This is why I think all the CC comps are inapplicable to a Machado deal. I just don't think Machado moves the needle in that way, and the opportunity cost is astronomical.

Makes sense.  I also don't see that quality of starter being available in the next couple of weeks but maybe that changes this offseason. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1898 on: July 17, 2018, 04:20:14 PM »

Exactly how I see it too.  Plus back in the day, the Crew hadn't been to the playoffs in decades.  That's not the case now.  Build for the long haul.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #1899 on: July 17, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »

My survey size is exactly one Brewer fan.  The one Brewer fan who has brought up baseball to me (Cubs fan) this week at work.  I told him I read the Orioles had a deal in place but no body knew who it was.  His response was "god, I hope it isn't the Brewers".  His reasoning was strictly money.