[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498751 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1775 on: July 11, 2018, 11:31:40 PM »

I didn't know much about Burnes, so I looked him up, and I know he had been great leading up to this season, but he has basically been BP in AAA, and while  I know the PCL is terrible for pitching, it seems weird that a guy with a 5.15 ERA in AAA is untouchable for a guy that could help the Brewers win their first World Series.

That is a better ERA than Josh Hader had in either of his seasons pitching in Colorado Springs. A pitcher's ERA pitching there is about as important as the color of their hair.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1776 on: July 11, 2018, 11:47:12 PM »
Excellent article on what Machado is worth on the trade market. FanGraphs, of course.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-precedent-for-a-manny-machado-trade/

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1777 on: July 12, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1778 on: July 12, 2018, 09:21:20 AM »
Matheny is the worst manager in baseball. I hope he is in St. Louis for years to come.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1779 on: July 12, 2018, 10:03:12 AM »
This Cardinal thing keeps getting better and better.

https://deadspin.com/extremely-cardinals-report-mike-matheny-respects-bud-n-1827528307

My general rule of thumb is that any time you hear a coach, fan, player, etc. say a sport is "getting soft," what they are basically saying is "the world has changed and I don't know how to adopt to these changes."

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1780 on: July 12, 2018, 10:07:30 AM »
That is a better ERA than Josh Hader had in either of his seasons pitching in Colorado Springs. A pitcher's ERA pitching there is about as important as the color of their hair.

Well, I knew it was a bad place to pitch but that adds some perspective.   Thanks.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1781 on: July 12, 2018, 10:09:08 AM »
Well, I knew it was a bad place to pitch but that adds some perspective.   Thanks.
Hasn't his ERA been affected a lot by a transition to the bullpen so they could get him up to the majors this year? Read in the JSO the other day that he was still trying to figure out how to get himself ready to pitch vs. a starting role.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1782 on: July 12, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
This Cardinal thing keeps getting better and better.

https://deadspin.com/extremely-cardinals-report-mike-matheny-respects-bud-n-1827528307

Bud Norris is a piece of sh*t.  Matheny is probably going to get a fired after this season, which is disappointing as he's terrible. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1783 on: July 12, 2018, 10:53:53 AM »
Hasn't his ERA been affected a lot by a transition to the bullpen so they could get him up to the majors this year? Read in the JSO the other day that he was still trying to figure out how to get himself ready to pitch vs. a starting role.

Looking at his numbers, he only had 6 appearances out of the pen and 13 starts, so I can't imagine the relief appearances making that much of a difference. 

By the way, did anyone see the Rockies pitcher hit a homer off the DBacks position player yesterday?  What a game. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:03:11 AM by buckchuckler »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1784 on: July 12, 2018, 11:35:41 AM »
By the way, did anyone see the Rockies pitcher hit a homer off the DBacks position player yesterday?  What a game.

Dbacks pitchers: 3.1 IP, 16 ER, 17 H

Dbacks position players: 4.2 IP, 3 ER, 5 H

They went to a position player in the 4TH INNING! Not only that but Descalso went from 2B to pitcher and then to 1B. That's Little League stuff right there.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1785 on: July 12, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »

They went to a position player in the 4TH INNING! Not only that but Descalso went from 2B to pitcher and then to 1B. That's Little League stuff right there.

Last time that happened that early in a game was Sal Bando for the Brewers back in the '70s.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1786 on: July 13, 2018, 08:06:33 AM »

I've got no problem with it. None. Why waste the pitchers? These days, it's rare that a team get a chance to not use its bullpen, whether the game is close, a blowout or something in-between.

And it gives both DBacks fans, baseball fans and interwebs folks like us something to talk about.

More teams should do it.

Of course, the first time one of these position players suffers a serious injury while pitching, it will be hell to pay for the manager ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1787 on: July 13, 2018, 08:18:19 AM »
I've got no problem with it. None. Why waste the pitchers? These days, it's rare that a team get a chance to not use its bullpen, whether the game is close, a blowout or something in-between.

And it gives both DBacks fans, baseball fans and interwebs folks like us something to talk about.

More teams should do it.

Of course, the first time one of these position players suffers a serious injury while pitching, it will be hell to pay for the manager ...

I agree. It's fun and (usually) harmless. It's a long season and getting blown out in July isn't going to make or break things. Why not have some fun with it?

Jose Canseco blew out his arm pitching an inning for Texas in the mid-90s. There's a reason it's usually utility guys and back-up catchers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1788 on: July 13, 2018, 08:25:40 AM »
I agree. It's fun and (usually) harmless. It's a long season and getting blown out in July isn't going to make or break things. Why not have some fun with it?

Jose Canseco blew out his arm pitching an inning for Texas in the mid-90s. There's a reason it's usually utility guys and back-up catchers.

Good point, MM.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1789 on: July 13, 2018, 09:47:15 AM »
Jose Canseco blew out his arm pitching an inning for Texas in the mid-90s.

(insert wadesworld/Jake Arrieta joke here)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1790 on: July 13, 2018, 10:42:10 AM »

Canseco was also a meathead who likely tried to just chuck it as hard as he could.  Descalso and Avila were pitchers at times in their careers (even if HS, I think Avila said he pitched a few times in college), so at least they understood the mechanics.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1791 on: July 13, 2018, 04:43:20 PM »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1792 on: July 13, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »
Nice article on Javy being the most exciting player in baseball:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24080545/chicago-cubs-javier-baez-most-exciting-player-baseball

From Jesse Rogers?  Javy may as well have written it himself.  Have you watched any exciting non Cub players this season?  Angels games?  Rockie games?  Indians games?  Just curious.  You may enjoy watching Trout, Arenado, Ramirez among others.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1793 on: July 13, 2018, 05:33:53 PM »
I watch very little baseball outside of Brewers games until October. So for me the most exciting player is Hader and it’s not really even close.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1794 on: July 13, 2018, 05:44:22 PM »
I watch very little baseball outside of Brewers games until October. So for me the most exciting player is Hader and it’s not really even close.

I find him completely boring.  He strikes everyone out.  It is a very predictable outcome.

Even highlights though?  You see Betts slam on the 13th pitch of an AB?  Arenado barehanding and gunning out a guy at home?  Some pretty great stuff, yesterday.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:47:52 PM by buckchuckler »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1795 on: July 13, 2018, 06:06:18 PM »
From Jesse Rogers?  Javy may as well have written it himself.  Have you watched any exciting non Cub players this season?  Angels games?  Rockie games?  Indians games?  Just curious.  You may enjoy watching Trout, Arenado, Ramirez among others.

Trout is the best player in baseball but when you combine all the facets and what Javy has done offensively, running the bases, and defensively, yes he is absolutely among the most exciting. Exciting does not mean best.

And Jesse Rogers is certainly not the only person in the media that has expressed this sentiment.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1796 on: July 13, 2018, 06:06:37 PM »

Arenado I think is a valid argument due to his fielding prowess.  Trout is one of the best, most consistent hitters of all time, but he's not as fast and is just a solid defensive center fielder. Ramirez is probably a similar comp due to his intangibles.

I think you're confusing "best" with "exciting".  Part of what makes Baez exciting is his inconsistency.  Its infuriating as well, but my god you never know what he's going to do.  His flair for the game I think has a lot to do with it as well.  The slides, the tags, the daring base running, he's got a very visually appealing game.  I don't think he's even close to the same league as a complete player to Arenado or Ramirez, but he's exciting as hell.

Its not an open and shut case, but to act like its a preposterous statement is just standard Cubs shade.  Dominique Wilkins was never close to a top 5 player in the NBA, but everyone can agree he was super exciting.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1797 on: July 13, 2018, 08:15:23 PM »
Dominique Wilkins was never close to a top 5 player in the NBA, but everyone can agree he was super exciting.

Great analogy! 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1798 on: July 13, 2018, 10:04:21 PM »
Arenado I think is a valid argument due to his fielding prowess.  Trout is one of the best, most consistent hitters of all time, but he's not as fast and is just a solid defensive center fielder. Ramirez is probably a similar comp due to his intangibles.

I think you're confusing "best" with "exciting".  Part of what makes Baez exciting is his inconsistency.  Its infuriating as well, but my god you never know what he's going to do.  His flair for the game I think has a lot to do with it as well.  The slides, the tags, the daring base running, he's got a very visually appealing game.  I don't think he's even close to the same league as a complete player to Arenado or Ramirez, but he's exciting as hell.

Its not an open and shut case, but to act like its a preposterous statement is just standard Cubs shade.  Dominique Wilkins was never close to a top 5 player in the NBA, but everyone can agree he was super exciting.

No, he is faster.  This is Mike Trout ignorance.  He is fairly routinely stat-casted over 20 MPH and has completely elite speed.  Basically since he was drafted he has had 70-80 grade speed. 

I didn't act like it was preposterous.  Though to make that statement over and over and over again, as Cub fans and the Chicago media have, is preposterous.  He is an exciting player.  There are scores more that are at least as exciting.  Yeah, Baez is quick, and has elite bat speed.  So do a bunch of other guys. 

Everything you wrote about Baez, directly applies to Tim Anderson, should he be in the conversation?  No clearly not.  Moncada has elite tools all the way around, but he isn't nearly as exciting as some of the other guys right now because his game isn't complete.  It is insane that people are bored with Trout because he is too good.  He isn't exciting because we expect him to be amazing.  That says it all right there.  I also do wonder, as I did earlier, how much Mike Trout do most baseball fans see?  My guess is not much, and if you consider yourself a fan of the game, you should seek out watching him.  Your opinion of him being not exciting would change.  He does things on the baseball field that no one else does, and he does them every week. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1799 on: July 13, 2018, 10:05:30 PM »
Trout is the best player in baseball but when you combine all the facets and what Javy has done offensively, running the bases, and defensively, yes he is absolutely among the most exciting. Exciting does not mean best.

And Jesse Rogers is certainly not the only person in the media that has expressed this sentiment.

That is a key word that has not been used in this conversation previously.

Mookie Betts, Jose Altuve, Francisco Lindor, Trea Turner, Ozzie Albies, Paul Goldschmidt, Juan Soto are all guys that belong in there, and heck, how everyone is setting up Baez as the most exciting, he doesn't hold a candle to Yasiel Puig in those categories.     
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:08:28 PM by buckchuckler »