[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499105 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1700 on: July 08, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »
aguilar sends two out today and then is left off the AS roster.

hes on the short list of first half nl mvp.

The all-star fan vote has been a joke since online voting. Really it's always been a joke but.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1701 on: July 08, 2018, 07:04:01 PM »
I was hoping Albert Almora would make it.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1702 on: July 08, 2018, 07:05:25 PM »
The all-star fan vote has been a joke since online voting. Really it's always been a joke but.

I’d have taken Aguilar ahead of Cain and Yelich.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1703 on: July 08, 2018, 07:08:45 PM »
I’d have taken Aguilar ahead of Cain and Yelich.

Agreed. I think the two outfielders are deserving as well, but I think Aguilar and Hader are the two clear All Stars for the Brewers. Especially since both Cain and Yelich have spent time on the DL this season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1704 on: July 08, 2018, 08:25:27 PM »
I’m not losing sleep over Aguilar. I think the all star selections should be based on more than just a half-season of production.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1705 on: July 08, 2018, 08:51:17 PM »
I’m not losing sleep over Aguilar. I think the all star selections should be based on more than just a half-season of production.

I’m not going to lose sleep over anyone as it’s a popularity contest, I just think he’s the second most deserving Brewer this year.

The Brewers just released a video with a bunch of players saying, “I’m (enter name) and I believe in Jesus.” That’s a pretty good social media job.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1706 on: July 08, 2018, 08:53:30 PM »

Respectfully disagree. I think the 2018 All Star selections should be mainly based on 2018 production.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1707 on: July 08, 2018, 08:58:46 PM »
Respectfully disagree. I think the 2018 All Star selections should be mainly based on 2018 production.

For half a year?  Nah. I think it should be based on continued production over the past season and a half or so.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1708 on: July 08, 2018, 09:29:20 PM »
I was hoping Albert Almora would make it.

This real?  Just hoping or any real expectation?  Because that would be... well, another of those Cubbie things.

Being tied for 18th in doubles (in the NL) is good and all, but it shouldn't make you an All-Star.  Especially considering there are no other even notable power or speed or BB numbers.  Maybe his numbers would get you a look if you're a catcher, but not close for an OFer. 

I mean, this guy (AL but still...)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beninan01.shtml

Has to duke it out in the final vote. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:32:51 PM by buckchuckler »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1709 on: July 08, 2018, 11:27:06 PM »
This real?  Just hoping or any real expectation?  Because that would be... well, another of those Cubbie things.

It’s really not that crazy considering he was leading the NL in batting average this week.  Scooter Gennett took a slight lead this week but Almora is still second.

But hey, let’s just rip on something because it’s Cubs related.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1710 on: July 08, 2018, 11:33:52 PM »
I think the biggest snubs were Snell and Aguilar.  I’m sure both will get in from voting or as a replacement.

In addition to taking away the fan vote I’d drop the every team needs a player rule.  Bryan LaHair was a Cub All-Star in 2012. Bryan F-ing LaHair.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:36:57 PM by TallTitan34 »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1711 on: July 09, 2018, 01:02:00 AM »
It’s really not that crazy considering he was leading the NL in batting average this week.  Scooter Gennett took a slight lead this week but Almora is still second.

I just have to wonder, when was the last time an OFer made an All Star team while hitting 4 HRs to go along with 1 steal. 

I'm not sure, but I am kind of willing to guess it has never happened. 

And while he is 2nd in batting in the NL right now, he is just on the edge of being a qualified player.  So he is 30th in hits, has no power, isn't stealing any bases, isn't walking, isn't Andruw Jones in the OF.  He has had a nice first half to be sure, and hitting .320 is great, but he hasn't made an all around case to be an All Star. 

Rhys Hoskins didn't make the team.  He has a higher OBP, SLG and OPS.  He has more 2B, more HR, more BB and more SB (and even a better SB%).

Brandon Nimmo has better OBP, SLG, OPS, fewer 2B, but more 3B, more HR, more SB.

David Peralta has better OBP, SLG, OPS, fewer 2B, but more of everything else. 

The list could go on and on.

There are a lot of very talented players in the OF in both leagues.  A guy needs more than a good BA to make it to the All Star team.  Especially now, when BA is being devalued more year by year.

EDIT: Thought of a possibility on those numbers and checked it out, and while he was better (stole one more base -- but the exact numbers weren't the point) very old (39) Tony Gwynn was about at those numbers in 1999, his last All Star appearance.  But he was hitting .338, had a OBP just under .400 had K'd 7 times and well, was, most importantly, already a legend.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:57:14 AM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1712 on: July 09, 2018, 01:09:19 AM »
I think the biggest snubs were Snell and Aguilar.  I’m sure both will get in from voting or as a replacement.

In addition to taking away the fan vote I’d drop the every team needs a player rule.  Bryan LaHair was a Cub All-Star in 2012. Bryan F-ing LaHair.

Snell not making it is ridiculous. 

I can understand it with Aguilar just because of the positional crunch.  Freeman was leading the vote the entire way and was quite deserving.  While Goldy had a bad stretch in May, really made up for it recently and while his numbers may not outpace what Aguilar has done, they are fairly close, and he certainly has the name recognition, which shouldn't matter, but well, sometimes it does (like Sal Perez WTF???). 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1713 on: July 09, 2018, 07:21:20 AM »
Snell not making it is ridiculous. 

I can understand it with Aguilar just because of the positional crunch.  Freeman was leading the vote the entire way and was quite deserving.  While Goldy had a bad stretch in May, really made up for it recently and while his numbers may not outpace what Aguilar has done, they are fairly close, and he certainly has the name recognition, which shouldn't matter, but well, sometimes it does (like Sal Perez WTF???).

Aguilar should have made it over Joey Votto.  Better numbers across the board.

I was surprised both Cain and Yelich made it.  I thought one might sneak in but not both.  Kudos to them and kudos to Stearns for adding two All Stars.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1714 on: July 09, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »

Castro also made the ASG that season so LaHair wasn't there simply as a team rep. He was legit voted in by his peers. In his defense, it was a weak 1B class (only other NL 1B was Votto) and the guy hit around .300 for most of the first half and had 14 HRs and a .519 slugging at the break. His numbers were solid even if it was a pretty flukish stretch. That said, he hasn't played an MLB game since 2012 so in hindsight it seems ridiculous.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1715 on: July 09, 2018, 12:26:31 PM »

Curious about Almora's chances if he had played more. Schwarber and Bryant wouldn't have been crazy picks, either, but I'm not surprised or upset they were left off. I think Morrow had a good case and has a decent chance of being a replacement if a couple pitchers get bumped.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1716 on: July 09, 2018, 02:57:32 PM »
Aguilar should have made it over Joey Votto.  Better numbers across the board.

I was surprised both Cain and Yelich made it.  I thought one might sneak in but not both.  Kudos to them and kudos to Stearns for adding two All Stars.

Also his OPS is well above Freeman and Votto, His counting numbers are also better despite 100 fewer ABs.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1717 on: July 09, 2018, 03:46:51 PM »
For half a year?  Nah. I think it should be based on continued production over the past season and a half or so.

I guess taking post All Star game stats from the previous year makes some sense. Going back farther? Nope - those stats count for the previous AS game - there's one every year.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1718 on: July 09, 2018, 03:57:25 PM »
Something that shocks me:
Cubs records through 87 games:

2015 47-40
2016 52-35
2017 43-44
2018 51-36

I thought the cubs were doing way better in 2016 compared to 2018. I guess the weaker nl central gave way to me thinking just how much better the cubs were in 16'. I never dreamed they were only 1 game behind pace.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:59:25 PM by #UnleashLaxBros »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1719 on: July 09, 2018, 05:20:56 PM »
Something that shocks me:
Cubs records through 87 games:

2015 47-40
2016 52-35
2017 43-44
2018 51-36

I feel like the Cubs have been slow starters each of the past four years. Here's that first 87 with winning percentages as well as the winning percentage for the 75:

2015 47-40 .540 WP
2016 52-35 .598 WP
2017 43-44 .494 WP
2018 51-36 .586 WP

Cubs final 75 games:

2015 50-25 .667 WP
2016 51-23* .689 WP
2017 49-26 .653 WP
2018 ??-??

The Cubs only played 161 in 2016, so the number is slightly skewed, but they generally tend to play far better in the back half of the season. If the average winning percentage of the past three seasons after those first 87 games holds up, the Cubs can be expected to go 50-25 the rest of the way and 101-61 for the season.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1720 on: July 09, 2018, 05:39:04 PM »
Yeah, but in the last 2 years at least they traded for Chapman, Quintana and Wilson to help buoy them in the second half.  Do they have that move in them this season?  Their farm is depleted (having a top guy popped for roids last week doesn't help that...), and they haven't been willing to talk about guys on their roster in the past.

The Brewers seem poised to make that big move, but will they?  The trade deadline this year will be super interesting with some possibly game changing talent switching jerseys.  Machado could completely throw the balance in a very tight NL Central or NL West. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1721 on: July 09, 2018, 05:44:19 PM »
Yeah, but in the last 2 years at least they traded for Chapman, Quintana and Wilson to help buoy them in the second half.  Do they have that move in them this season?  Their farm is depleted (having a top guy popped for roids last week doesn't help that...), and they haven't been willing to talk about guys on their roster in the past.

The Brewers seem poised to make that big move, but will they?  The trade deadline this year will be super interesting with some possibly game changing talent switching jerseys.  Machado could completely throw the balance in a very tight NL Central or NL West.

Fake news. Cubs don’t do that.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1722 on: July 09, 2018, 09:10:19 PM »

I don’t know if it’s soley the deadline moves. I don’t think Wilson was very good last year and Quintana only pitches 1 out of every 5 games. Maybe the psychological effect. Doesn’t Maddon tinker around early and guys typically settle into their roles in the second half?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1723 on: July 09, 2018, 09:22:08 PM »
I just have to wonder, when was the last time an OFer made an All Star team while hitting 4 HRs to go along with 1 steal. 

I'm not sure, but I am kind of willing to guess it has never happened. 

And while he is 2nd in batting in the NL right now, he is just on the edge of being a qualified player.  So he is 30th in hits, has no power, isn't stealing any bases, isn't walking, isn't Andruw Jones in the OF.  He has had a nice first half to be sure, and hitting .320 is great, but he hasn't made an all around case to be an All Star. 

Rhys Hoskins didn't make the team.  He has a higher OBP, SLG and OPS.  He has more 2B, more HR, more BB and more SB (and even a better SB%).

Brandon Nimmo has better OBP, SLG, OPS, fewer 2B, but more 3B, more HR, more SB.

David Peralta has better OBP, SLG, OPS, fewer 2B, but more of everything else. 

The list could go on and on.

There are a lot of very talented players in the OF in both leagues.  A guy needs more than a good BA to make it to the All Star team.  Especially now, when BA is being devalued more year by year.

EDIT: Thought of a possibility on those numbers and checked it out, and while he was better (stole one more base -- but the exact numbers weren't the point) very old (39) Tony Gwynn was about at those numbers in 1999, his last All Star appearance.  But he was hitting .338, had a OBP just under .400 had K'd 7 times and well, was, most importantly, already a legend.

The good news is that it's only the snooze-fest known as the All-Star Game.

I'm falling asleep as I write this just thinking about it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1724 on: July 09, 2018, 10:01:22 PM »
The good news is that it's only the snooze-fest known as the All-Star Game.

I'm falling asleep as I write this just thinking about it.

The baseball All Star game is awesome.