[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498764 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1625 on: July 02, 2018, 02:40:51 PM »
Woah, Cardinal President John Mozeliak going hard on Dexter Fowler:

“It’s been a frustrating year for everybody involved. Here’s a guy who wants to go out and play well. I think he would tell you it’s hard to do that when you’re not playing on a consistent basis. But I’ve also had a lot of people come up to me and question his effort and his energy level. You know, those are things that I can’t defend. What I can defend is trying to create opportunities for him, but not if it’s at the expense of someone who’s out there hustling and playing hard. And really I think everyone just needs to take a hard look in the mirror, and decide what they want that next chapter to look like. And in Dexter’s case, maybe taking a brief time out, trying to reassess himself, and then give him a chance for a strong second half is probably what’s best for everybody. I’m hopeful to touch base with him in the near future and decide what makes the most sense, but clearly he’s not playing at the level we had hoped.”

Pretty questionable decision on Mozeliak's part. Critiquing performance is one thing but when you're calling out effort you're questioning the player's character.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1626 on: July 02, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »
I feel like they have to DFA him at this point.  I'm not sure how you can say that about a player and keep him.  When is the last time a baseball exec publicly called their player lazy?

Hope he goes anywhere other than the Brewers  ;)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1627 on: July 02, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »
Pretty questionable decision on Mozeliak's part. Critiquing performance is one thing but when you're calling out effort you're questioning the player's character.

Not to mention, he made those comments right after Fowler was placed on the paternity list. Odd time to kick a guy.

That said, Fowler has been a good player for quite a while yet Houston traded him to the Cubs for a couple nothings and even after being a catalyst for a 97-win team in 2015, he struggled to find a long-term deal in free agency and came back on a 1-year deal. Perhaps there were concerns around his work ethic and the fear that complacency would set in with a long-term deal.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1628 on: July 02, 2018, 03:47:53 PM »
Not to mention, he made those comments right after Fowler was placed on the paternity list. Odd time to kick a guy.

That said, Fowler has been a good player for quite a while yet Houston traded him to the Cubs for a couple nothings and even after being a catalyst for a 97-win team in 2015, he struggled to find a long-term deal in free agency and came back on a 1-year deal. Perhaps there were concerns around his work ethic and the fear that complacency would set in with a long-term deal.

I always thought the Astros traded his expiring contract for prospect Dan Straily.  Luis Valbuena went along as well but he was just a guy.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1629 on: July 02, 2018, 03:54:23 PM »
Also Dexter is about to turn 33: the age where most players start to drop off.   Granted, it usually doesn't happen this quickly.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 03:57:05 PM by TallTitan34 »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: July 02, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »

I think his difficulty in finding a long-term deal was just a function of the market. He also had a qualifying offer attached which further hindered his market. I don't recall there ever being questions regarding his work ethic.

I feel like they have to DFA him at this point.  I'm not sure how you can say that about a player and keep him.  When is the last time a baseball exec publicly called their player lazy?

Hope he goes anywhere other than the Brewers  ;)

I don't see a DFA - I have a hard time believing the Cardinals will eat the $56 million or so left on his deal. And calling him lazy certainly doesn't enhance his value.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1631 on: July 03, 2018, 08:47:06 AM »
I think his difficulty in finding a long-term deal was just a function of the market. He also had a qualifying offer attached which further hindered his market. I don't recall there ever being questions regarding his work ethic.

I forgot about the Qualifying Offer. That would make sense. That same offseason, Hayward got 8/$184, Upton got 6/$132, Cespedes got 3/$75, Gordon got 4/$72, Span got 3/$31. Even Chris Young got a multi-year deal. Outfielders were getting money so that QO scaring teams away would make sense. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1632 on: July 03, 2018, 04:39:15 PM »
I forgot about the Qualifying Offer. That would make sense. That same offseason, Hayward got 8/$184, Upton got 6/$132, Cespedes got 3/$75, Gordon got 4/$72, Span got 3/$31. Even Chris Young got a multi-year deal. Outfielders were getting money so that QO scaring teams away would make sense.

Yep. I'm a big Dex fan but I always thought going to 5 years for an OF in his early 30s was questionable. Cain has obviously been really good for Milwaukee but I was also surprised he got 5 years considering those investments in CFs at that age can turn bad quickly.

I'm not saying that will happen with Cain and I understand the move but I'll be curious to see how that turns out.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1633 on: July 03, 2018, 07:05:26 PM »
50.  First.   :)

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #1634 on: July 04, 2018, 08:09:59 AM »
50.  First.   :)

I assume this refers to the Brewers being first to 50 wins?  I suppose, if you're not counting the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, and Mariners.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1635 on: July 04, 2018, 08:28:16 AM »
I assume this refers to the Brewers being first to 50 wins?  I suppose, if you're not counting the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, and Mariners.

I believe it's him being the first to celebrate

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1636 on: July 04, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »

Or that the Cubs and Braves could do it in the same number of games.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: July 04, 2018, 09:24:09 AM »

First in NL.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1638 on: July 04, 2018, 09:25:52 AM »
Or that the Cubs and Braves could do it in the same number of games.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1639 on: July 04, 2018, 09:30:50 AM »

I was drunk when I said that Bobby. You could be 2nd 3rd or hell even 5th.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: July 04, 2018, 09:33:07 AM »
I was drunk when I said that Bobby. You could be 2nd 3rd or hell even 5th.

;D

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1641 on: July 04, 2018, 12:40:27 PM »

in public...maybe.  sometimes questioning a players character is what is needed.  it could however, backfire.   even though mozeliak used a strawman to bolster his assertion, i have no doubt that he has been approached by many people asking-what's up with dexter?  on the other hand, dexter could use this as his personal bulletin board motivator-depends on what kind of character he has or not, eyn'a?  also, mr mozeliak is trying to defend his personal role/talent evaluation in bringing in a guy who is chitting the bed, another eyn'a, eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1642 on: July 04, 2018, 12:59:08 PM »
Who would have guessed that The Cardinal Way^TM - which is mostly just cheating and being haughty - would fall apart when not buttressed by winning?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1643 on: July 04, 2018, 01:50:37 PM »
Who would have guessed that The Cardinal Way^TM - which is mostly just cheating and being haughty - would fall apart when not buttressed by winning?

You forgot the racism.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1644 on: July 04, 2018, 02:22:03 PM »

Or when being presided over by Mike Matheny.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1645 on: July 04, 2018, 02:24:18 PM »
Who woulda guessed that the biggest series of the year so far in the NL would be Atlanta vs. Milwaukee this weekend?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1646 on: July 04, 2018, 03:17:57 PM »
Who woulda guessed that the biggest series of the year so far in the NL would be Atlanta vs. Milwaukee this weekend?

Furst thin' ewe and eye ever agreed on, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: July 04, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »

Furst thin' ewe and eye ever agreed on, hey?

Next thing you know, we'll be best buddies ;D

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1648 on: July 05, 2018, 06:15:56 AM »
Next thing you know, we'll be best buddies ;D

next thing ya know, he's giving you a discount on a root canal err something-2 for the price of 1, ehyn'a? :D
don't...don't don't don't don't

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: July 05, 2018, 06:37:00 AM »
A question about Javy Baez occurred to me yesterday and I thought what better place to go to get an objective opinion than a fan bulletin board with a connection to Milwaukee.

I had never thought about the concept of "the best slider ever".  It's just sliding.  I have seen highlights of guys avoiding tags before they don't seem to happen often. Javy's Matrix-like slides over the last couple years have me wondering who, if anyone, was a better slider than him?  To simultaneously coordinate the location of individual limbs to avoid the tag while hurling your body onto the ground at full speed.  To me it's a much more impressive feat than say a diving catch.

feedback