[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498417 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1450 on: June 14, 2018, 04:38:49 PM »
No, I don’t consider the last 44% of a season to be “down the stretch.” To each their own I suppose.

The Brewers were also 9-2 in the 11 games prior to game 152 to get back into it, yet still a game back going into your 10 game stretch. So sure, pick out one 10 game stretch that fits your agenda. Just about every team will have a sub .500 10 game stretch in their last month.

You got it wrong. The Brewers were quite strong down the stretch. .555 over the last month of the season.

You've basically resorted to arguing semantics. Yes, I picked out a 10 game stretch late in the season when they faltered. To a sane, rational person that would provide strong evidence that they faltered late in the season. You have proven to be neither sane nor rational so I don't expect you to follow that logic. It's cool though. Enjoy the rest of your day!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1451 on: June 14, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »
You've basically resorted to arguing semantics. Yes, I picked out a 10 game stretch late in the season when they faltered. To a sane, rational person that would provide strong evidence that they faltered late in the season. You have proven to be neither sane nor rational so I don't expect you to follow that logic. It's cool though. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Except any possible way you look at it the Brewers played BETTER down the stretch than they had throughout the rest of the season.

But yes. You are rational, sane, and logical. Going from calling the final 43% of a 162 game season “down the stretch” to picking out one 10 game stretch and saying that’s “down the stretch” in the same argument. Lol. Again, you got it wrong. But thank you, I will enjoy the rest my day.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:58:39 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1452 on: June 14, 2018, 05:01:42 PM »

Or it seems like cherry picking stats...there is two sides to every story, especially when you are looking at a 162 game season.  Everybody's definition of "down the stretch" is different.  They finished the year 3-1, that is more down the stretch so they did not falter down the stretch!

Bottom line is they finished 1 game out of the playoffs it does not matter if that 1 game came during a random 10 game stretch in September or when they went 4-6 in a 10 game stretch in April.  The reality is, as one poster said, they lost it right after the all star break last year.  They do not play putrid baseball during that stretch they are in the playoffs, but that is baseball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1453 on: June 14, 2018, 05:18:48 PM »
Wait, Mike Trout is dead?

Yeah I killed him a couple pages ago.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1454 on: June 14, 2018, 05:20:30 PM »
Wait, Mike Trout is dead?

Best post in the thread!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1455 on: June 14, 2018, 05:33:14 PM »

The Brewers' best month (in terms of winning percentage) in the 2017 season was September (plus 1 game in October) last season.

That doesn't feel like "faltering down the stretch" to me, but what do I know, I'm illogical, insane, and irrational 🤷🏻‍♂️😂
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1456 on: June 14, 2018, 06:40:30 PM »
The Brewers' best month (in terms of winning percentage) in the 2017 season was September (plus 1 game in October) last season.

That doesn't feel like "faltering down the stretch" to me, but what do I know, I'm illogical, insane, and irrational 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Wades.  Enough.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1457 on: June 14, 2018, 07:00:13 PM »
Wades.  Enough.

Thanks, but if someone's going to call someone else irrational, insane, and illogical they should at least not be able to be proven factually wrong.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1458 on: June 14, 2018, 09:29:06 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1459 on: June 14, 2018, 10:40:26 PM »
Something tells me (without looking it up) was to keep black players out of the hall of fame after integration.

The 10-year rule was initiated in 1947, so there certainly could be truth to that. But it would only work against the older black players that first got a chance to play after that.

https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/rules/voting-rules-history

The Clemente exception is also in those rules, but that exception only allows the waiving of the 5-year wait rule. There would have to be a new rule to let in a player who died but didn't have the 10 years. Would it be possible for such a new rule to be initiated? Sure. But I certainly wouldn't assume that the late, great Mike Trout would get such a benefit.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1460 on: June 14, 2018, 10:55:23 PM »
Truthfully Jockey, I didn't want a 'big name'.  I was too fearful of another Lohse or Suppan fiasco.
Oh god, Suppan.  I had blissfully blocked that name from my memory until you brought back all the pain.  Curse you glow!

(Please don't say Kotsay, don't say Kotsay, don't say Kotsay....)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:00:14 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1461 on: June 14, 2018, 11:32:21 PM »
If you’re the Brewers, are you calling the Mets and offering a package starting with Hiura and Burnes for DeGrom?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1462 on: June 15, 2018, 01:03:22 AM »
If you’re the Brewers, are you calling the Mets and offering a package starting with Hiura and Burnes for DeGrom?
\
Complete game changer.  Dominant starter, not a free agent until 2021.  It would likely take those two and a bit more.  It would have to be a Sale like deal you would think, and he commanded the number 1 prospect in the game as well as the guy who was like the number 5 pitching prospect. 

You would have to think there would be a lot of teams in on him if the Mets decided to move him.  If the Braves decided they wanted him, I don't think anyone could top their offers.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1463 on: June 15, 2018, 06:37:56 AM »
Oh god, Suppan.  I had blissfully blocked that name from my memory until you brought back all the pain.  Curse you glow!

(Please don't say Kotsay, don't say Kotsay, don't say Kotsay....)

What's funny is that I had this vague recollection about some horrible FA pitcher and looked him up. I'm sure he's a wonderful man with a nice family but.......  :o

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1464 on: June 15, 2018, 06:42:06 AM »

Until I see Stearns make a move like this, I won’t believe that he will.  It would have to be for a player with multiple years of control, like deGrom, but I’d still be surprised if he got in this sweepstakes.

Unless of course Stearns knows something negative about one of our top prospects that no one else does.  I think he was willing to make the Lewis Brinson trade in large part because he knew Brinson wasn’t really that great (he’s batting .174).  If Stearns knows, for example, that Hiura will never be able to play the field, he might be more willing to part with him.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1465 on: June 15, 2018, 08:37:34 AM »
Until I see Stearns make a move like this, I won’t believe that he will.  It would have to be for a player with multiple years of control, like deGrom, but I’d still be surprised if he got in this sweepstakes.

Unless of course Stearns knows something negative about one of our top prospects that no one else does.  I think he was willing to make the Lewis Brinson trade in large part because he knew Brinson wasn’t really that great (he’s batting .174).  If Stearns knows, for example, that Hiura will never be able to play the field, he might be more willing to part with him.

Getting a guy like deGrom hurts prospect wise there is no doubt about it.  But he is a top 5 or so starter in the game, those guys aren't easy to get, especially for the next 3 years at less that 25 mil per season.  He could definitely swing the balance in the NL Central, and maybe even the NL.  Oh, and he has been dominant in the postseason as well.

If I am the Mets, I would start my asking price at Hader, Hiura, Burnes and more.  I would also have basically no expectation of the Brewers trading Hader, but you have to ask. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:39:13 AM by buckchuckler »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1466 on: June 15, 2018, 08:51:12 AM »
Getting a guy like deGrom hurts prospect wise there is no doubt about it.  But he is a top 5 or so starter in the game, those guys aren't easy to get, especially for the next 3 years at less that 25 mil per season.  He could definitely swing the balance in the NL Central, and maybe even the NL.  Oh, and he has been dominant in the postseason as well.

If I am the Mets, I would start my asking price at Hader, Hiura, Burnes and more.  I would also have basically no expectation of the Brewers trading Hader, but you have to ask.

I totally agree, if I'm the Mets, I'd insist on Hader, as Hiura and Burnes as at least a starting point. Hiura and Burnes wouldn't be enough. I don't believe at all the Brewers would include Hader either.

DeGrom would be quite the interesting trade watch. I know the Cubs/Sox did the Quintana deal last year, but I think there'd be more of a hesitation by the Mets to trade DeGrom to the Yankees (which I think is dumb, you take the best offer you can get, regardless of who the trading partner is). Same thing with the Mets talking to the Braves, I think the Mets wouldn't want to trade DeGrom in their division for the same reason, I think it matters to the Mets on the perception of who they get back and where they possibly trade him to.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1467 on: June 15, 2018, 09:11:10 AM »
I would be surprised if we ever see Hiura in a Brewers uniform, so long as other teams are interested enough in him that he could be a cornerstone piece of a major deal.  The combination of the Crew's need for starting pitching, their likely reticence to pay for it on the free agent market, and the ability to find very serviceable middle infielders relatively inexpensively on the FA market (especially if you don't have a ton of $ earmarked for a #2 starter type), leads me to think he'll be dealt within the next 14 months.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1468 on: June 15, 2018, 09:20:05 AM »
Really, it seems to me that the Crew has underperformed at middle infield these last 2 years so giving away a potential good one?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1470 on: June 15, 2018, 10:13:07 AM »
I would be surprised if we ever see Hiura in a Brewers uniform, so long as other teams are interested enough in him that he could be a cornerstone piece of a major deal.

I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure I agree. The depth up the middle is suspect, especially if Arcia continues to struggle. If Dubon wasn't coming off an ACL injury, I could see it a little more.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1471 on: June 15, 2018, 11:25:15 AM »
What's funny is that I had this vague recollection about some horrible FA pitcher and looked him up. I'm sure he's a wonderful man with a nice family but.......  :o

Here's jeff, indicating the trajectory of his ERA with each start.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1472 on: June 15, 2018, 11:27:48 AM »
Well played!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1473 on: June 15, 2018, 11:40:34 AM »
And yet he got paid $58M ($34M/4 years from the Brewers) for a career 4.86 FIP and -1.5 Adjusted Wins above average.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1474 on: June 15, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
The 10-year rule was initiated in 1947, so there certainly could be truth to that. But it would only work against the older black players that first got a chance to play after that.

https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/rules/voting-rules-history

The Clemente exception is also in those rules, but that exception only allows the waiving of the 5-year wait rule. There would have to be a new rule to let in a player who died but didn't have the 10 years. Would it be possible for such a new rule to be initiated? Sure. But I certainly wouldn't assume that the late, great Mike Trout would get such a benefit.

I'd have to look more into it, but I do find the rule of 10 to be in direct regards to black integration. Never knew about that rule before this thread.

feedback