collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499191 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1225 on: June 08, 2018, 09:44:12 AM »
Only 1/2 game back.  Won't be long now until the panic is in full force.

Too early for anyone to panic.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1226 on: June 08, 2018, 11:29:46 AM »

Whew, just looked at my calendar.  It is June, by the tone of this post I thought it must be late September.  Glad I didn't just miss the summer.

The NL West is a wonderful, beautiful, mess.   I love it. 

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1227 on: June 08, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »
The NL West is a wonderful, beautiful, mess.   I love it.

even with Kershaw's injuries, I think the NL West is still the Dodgers to lose.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1228 on: June 08, 2018, 11:41:42 AM »

Agreed.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: June 08, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »

And Seager, Maeda, Hill, Ryu...

The good news for them is that Bellinger has been back to his 2017 form this week.  If he keeps mashing it'll go a long way.

I find the Giants very interesting.  They have been playing well (stayed in it) and just got Bumgarner back.  If Cueto can return they could make some noise.

And losing Pollock has killed the DBacks, if Goldy starts being himself and their pitching rebounds a bit...

And Colorado is talented but their pitching is killing them, they need to start playing at home. 

It is an interesting division.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:23:12 PM by buckchuckler »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1230 on: June 08, 2018, 12:51:55 PM »

The panic of what?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1231 on: June 08, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »

Oh. My. God. Now what?

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1232 on: June 08, 2018, 04:44:07 PM »

you mean the team that literally every expert picked to win the nl central might actually climb into first place in the nl central?! Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1233 on: June 08, 2018, 05:23:09 PM »
This Ohtani deal sucks for baseball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: June 09, 2018, 06:40:30 PM »
Been out of pocket a bit. The Dodgers are alive, huh?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1235 on: June 10, 2018, 11:53:33 AM »
Heimlich will get drafted.    At some point, the value proposition, i.e. his talent vs his baggage, will be favorable enough that someone will take him.

And.... I was wrong. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1236 on: June 10, 2018, 03:00:17 PM »
Too early for anyone to panic.

Having a little fun.  Brewer fan friends who were talking trash earlier in the season have been more quiet of late. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: June 10, 2018, 04:06:27 PM »
And.... I was wrong.

Don't agree with it honestly. Dude did some unnatural carnal knowledgeed up crap when he was a really stupid kid. Should we ruin the rest of his life now? Why must it always be about punishment instead of rehabilitation?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1238 on: June 10, 2018, 04:29:34 PM »
Don't agree with it honestly. Dude did some unnatural carnal knowledgeed up crap when he was a really stupid kid. Should we ruin the rest of his life now? Why must it always be about punishment instead of rehabilitation?

It is a tremendous ethical conundrum.     If it weren't for a careless error on his part and an additional clerical error, the record would have been sealed forever and very few would ever have known, as juvenile crime files are sealed.   For good reason.     And he followed all of the rules of his plea agreement and from all outward signs has strived to be a model citizen.     How long should someone be punished for a juvenile crime?     One he now says he didn't commit, choosing a plea agreement for the sake of his family.   If he applied for a position at your company, would you want him hired?     Isn't it possible to accept that a teenager can learn and grow and become a better person, never to repeat a mistake that may or may not have happened at 15?     Would you want to be eternally judged and tainted by your teenage actions?    Or is this unforgiveable?     And what should he do with his life?     He theoretically should live another 60 years.       

I would have drafted him.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1239 on: June 10, 2018, 04:46:52 PM »
The cost/benefit of the public relations involved made it impossible for most teams to consider.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1240 on: June 10, 2018, 04:52:11 PM »
Agreed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1241 on: June 10, 2018, 06:44:43 PM »
The Heimlich situation is a difficult one. Would need to know more to make a true judgement. Was this a true predator who is likely to reoffend? Or was this a 15 year old who made a hormone fueled terrible decision? Either way he needs to be held accountable... But I agree with others that juvenile files are sealed for a reason.

The limited bit I know,  I would have drafted him. Wouldn't be surprised to see a team quietly sign him
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:46:57 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1242 on: June 10, 2018, 07:28:07 PM »

Well, not being able to play professional baseball does not necessarily equate to a life ruined.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1243 on: June 10, 2018, 07:30:13 PM »
The Heimlich situation is a difficult one. Would need to know more to make a true judgement. Was this a true predator who is likely to reoffend? Or was this a 15 year old who made a hormone fueled terrible decision? Either way he needs to be held accountable... But I agree with others that juvenile files are sealed for a reason.

The limited bit I know,  I would have drafted him. Wouldn't be surprised to see a team quietly sign him

This won't be possible.  Not for a while at least.  I wouldn't be surprised if he signed with an independent league team, or in Japan or Korea.  The media storm here would be intense.  Even if it is as a UDFA.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1244 on: June 10, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »
It sounds like the reason it became public is because he was cited for failing to provide updates as a registered sex offender. That’s entirely on himself.

It also sounds like this wasn’t a one time incident. It’s reported it’s for two different periods of time. September of 2009 through September of 2010 and September of 2011 through December of 2011. He then pleaded guilty to one count of molestation for a period between February 2011 and December 2011.

If I’m looking to employ him, whether in athletics or another field, I can find someone else who can provide me what he can, regardless of whether there would be negative publicity or not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1245 on: June 11, 2018, 08:41:22 AM »
It's really not all that different than the Colin Kaepernick situation. His talents aren't great enough to overcome the circus and PR hit that would come with drafting/signing him.

Let me ask this: If someone with Heimlich's background applied for a job at your company, would you hire him?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1246 on: June 11, 2018, 08:50:05 AM »
It's really not all that different than the Colin Kaepernick situation. His talents aren't great enough to overcome the circus and PR hit that would come with drafting/signing him.

Nice try but no.  And I'm not getting into that debate here.

Let me ask this: If someone with Heimlich's background applied for a job at your company, would you hire him?

To run a child-care center?  No.

To be a janitor?  Sure.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1247 on: June 11, 2018, 08:51:16 AM »
I would.  But I am by nature a tolerant soul.    His 'talent' is such that without the baggage he would have been a 1-2 round pick.   The baggage is such that he is radioactive. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1248 on: June 11, 2018, 09:36:03 AM »
No way I would have drafted him.  The family member was 6 and he was 15 - I'm not able to say, "paid his debt, rehabilitated, nothing to see here" on this one. And I wouldn't want to put the other guys in the clubhouse in the position of having to accept him as a teammate.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1249 on: June 11, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »
I would.  But I am by nature a tolerant soul.    His 'talent' is such that without the baggage he would have been a 1-2 round pick.   The baggage is such that he is radioactive.

Without the baggage he would have likely been a 1st round pick in last year's draft.  He was widely expected to be such before this story came out.

feedback