[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498406 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1175 on: June 04, 2018, 11:39:55 AM »
I'd go with Madrigal if available mostly because I'm always hesitant on pitchers.

I tend to lean towards pitching, because, well you can never have enough.  But even having said that I would prefer Madrigal or Bohm.  I think Singer is good, but I don't know if he has the ace stuff.  Madrigal lacks power but is an ideal fit for the top of any lineup and Bohm brings some of the best power in the draft. 

I have to say,  I don't love how this draft class has shaped up for the Sox.  I think there could be an argument for them to take any guy in the top 10-12.  And I think this is a likely draft where the guy that ends up the best player is taken in the middle of the first round.

I would really like for he Sox to take Shane McLanahan, but it doesn't look like he is getting any buzz at the top of the draft, but lefties that throw 100 with plus sliders can be a pretty dangerous.  I think the Sox once had a guy like that.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:50:02 AM by buckchuckler »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1176 on: June 04, 2018, 12:06:54 PM »
I would really like for he Sox to take Shane McLanahan, but it doesn't look like he is getting any buzz at the top of the draft, but lefties that throw 100 with plus sliders can be a pretty dangerous.  I think the Sox once had a guy like that.

I watched him pitch over the weekend and was thoroughly unimpressed. 100 pitches in only 5 innings, walked four, only struck out three,  uncorked two wild pitches. The upside is there, but the Sox have enough young talented arms in the system  that can't locate (looking at you, Giolito and Fullmer).

I don't know if Singer needs to be an ace. I'd be happy with a solid #2 starter. I see him as having a very high floor, and perhaps more upside than he's given credit for (perhaps the downside of being seen as a top 5 pick for three years is people tend to get nitpicky).
That said, Madrigal would be an excellent choice and I generally like the philosophy of position players early, pitchers late.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:11:20 PM by Pakuni »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1177 on: June 04, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »
I watched him pitch over the weekend and was thoroughly unimpressed. 100 pitches in only 5 innings, walked four, only struck out three,  uncorked two wild pitches. The upside is there, but the Sox have enough young talented arms in the system  that can't locate (looking at you, Giolito and Fullmer).

I don't know if Singer needs to be an ace. I'd be happy with a solid #2 starter. I see him as having a very high floor, and perhaps more upside than he's given credit for (perhaps the downside of being seen as a top 5 pick for three years is people tend to get nitpicky).
That said, Madrigal would be an excellent choice and I generally like the philosophy of position players early, pitchers late.

Yeah, I get it.  The downside is there.  I also thinking fixing him may play right in the the Sox player development strengths.  The knocks against him are the same ones there were against Alec Hansen.

And you are right about Singer not needing to be an ace.  The Sox have plenty of guys with TOR potential in Rodon, Kopech, Hansen, Cease and Dunning.  Singer seems to certainly be at least that 3/4 guy in the rotation which is valuable.  I kind of hope the balance a little more than last year when they were very position player (and college position player) heavy.  If they go hitter at 4, I hope they go with someone like Griffin Roberts in the 2nd round, and if they go Singer, then I hope they can get DeSadas, Alek Thomas or Beer in round 2.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1178 on: June 04, 2018, 12:31:07 PM »
The headline would write itself:

Brewers Draft Beer

Hahaha...and when they eventually release him:  "Brewers Can Beer".
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1179 on: June 04, 2018, 12:40:47 PM »
Hahaha...and when they eventually release him:  "Brewers Can Beer".

Nice.  Another possible headline:

Late Beer Run Clinches World Series

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1180 on: June 04, 2018, 12:49:04 PM »
Singer reminds me too much of Fulmer. I’d take Bohm.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1181 on: June 04, 2018, 12:53:21 PM »

I don't think Bohm makes it to the Sox.  If he does, he'd be my pick.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1182 on: June 04, 2018, 01:05:57 PM »
I don't think Bohm makes it to the Sox.  If he does, he'd be my pick.

It would probably take Mize falling to Philly to make this happen, you’re right. MLB Draft certainly more unique with the slotting process.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1183 on: June 04, 2018, 01:19:45 PM »
Javy Baez may not be the best baseball player but might be the most exciting player I have ever seen.  Between the sliding, tagging, and defense you never know what you are going to see him do next.

Yesterday he stole home again adding to his already impressive highlight reel.

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1003349408476467201

Javy Baez may not be the best baseball player you've ever seen? Major understatement. But whether he's hitting a dinger, stealing home, making an unbelievable play in the field or swinging and missing at 3 straight fastballs over his head or curve balls a foot outside and in the dirt he may just be the most exciting player in the game.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1184 on: June 04, 2018, 01:22:45 PM »
It would probably take Mize falling to Philly to make this happen, you’re right. MLB Draft certainly more unique with the slotting process.

Seems like a lot of smoke the last couple days that it won't go Mize - Bart- Bohm

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1185 on: June 04, 2018, 01:27:38 PM »

I've read that comparison elsewhere, but don't see it. Other than they're both righthanded starters from the SEC, they're not similar at all. Different pitching motions, different arsenals, very different frames (Fullmer 5'11, 195, Singer 6'5", 180).
Even when the Sox drafted him, there were a good number who thought Fullmer was destined for the bullpen because of his size and odd delivery. Don't think I've ever seen Singer projected as anything other than a starter.

I've seen Singer compared to Nola in a few places, in which case, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1186 on: June 04, 2018, 01:34:00 PM »
I've read that comparison elsewhere, but don't see it. Other than they're both righthanded starters from the SEC, they're not similar at all. Different pitching motions, different arsenals, very different frames (Fullmer 5'11, 195, Singer 6'5", 180).
Even when the Sox drafted him, there were a good number who thought Fullmer was destined for the bullpen because of his size and odd delivery. Don't think I've ever seen Singer projected as anything other than a starter.

I've seen Singer compared to Nola in a few places, in which case, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

It’s the short arm delivery from Singer that scares me. I forgot where I saw someone said Singer may be a projected high impact reliever because of his delivery.

I also saw a list of Hahn’s top picks, and it certainly is the ultimate crapshoot, but his first round picks have been underwhelming, be it injury (Rodon/Burger) wait and see (Anderson) or bad (Fulmer). Hopefully whoever it is tonight is added as a piece to the 2020 playoff push. I’ll cheer whoever it is.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1187 on: June 04, 2018, 01:47:40 PM »

I have to agree with Pakuni here.  I don't see it.  Singer has basically elite command, which Fulmer obviously lacks.  Actually I see them as opposites in a lot of ways, Fulmer definitely has plus stuff, but lacks command.  The knock on Singer is that his stuff doesn't play up as much.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1188 on: June 04, 2018, 01:52:17 PM »

I also saw a list of Hahn’s top picks, and it certainly is the ultimate crapshoot, but his first round picks have been underwhelming, be it injury (Rodon/Burger) wait and see (Anderson) or bad (Fulmer). Hopefully whoever it is tonight is added as a piece to the 2020 playoff push. I’ll cheer whoever it is.

Relative to his draft class, Anderson is looking like a really good pick. Among the 20 or so players chosen after him, only one (Aaron Judge, taken 15 slots later) has developed into an impact player. Most have yet to reach the majors.

No love for Zack Collins?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: June 04, 2018, 01:56:18 PM »

Dude has been bonkers over the last 6 weeks or so.  He is walking in about 25% of his PA, hitting for power, and reportedly improving his receiving skills.

His slash line now is .275/.455/.470  That is great from a catcher, and then factor in he started the season like 2 for 40, and whoa has he been on fire.  If not for what a monster Eloy is, Collins would be getting some serious attention among Sox fans. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1190 on: June 04, 2018, 02:07:39 PM »
Relative to his draft class, Anderson is looking like a really good pick. Among the 20 or so players chosen after him, only one (Aaron Judge, taken 15 slots later) has developed into an impact player. Most have yet to reach the majors.

I forgot about Collins, I liked the pick then and like him still.

I want Anderson to be really good. I feel like he’s always on the cusp, then has a tough stretch.

I want Adolfo to be a stud, it’ll take him another couple years, but he’s a physical beast.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1191 on: June 04, 2018, 06:29:05 PM »
Seems like a lot of smoke the last couple days that it won't go Mize - Bart- Bohm

Or not.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1192 on: June 04, 2018, 06:58:16 PM »
White Sox take Madrigal (my choice since Bohm was gone). Singer still not selected through pick #8.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1193 on: June 04, 2018, 07:01:23 PM »
White Sox take Madrigal (my choice since Bohm was gone). Singer still not selected through pick #8.

Great pick, hopefully Singer falls to 46!  :D

This draft has really gotten away from predictions.  Sox may end up with someone better than expected with their 2nd pick. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:27:43 PM by buckchuckler »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1194 on: June 04, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »
Madrigal feels like one of those guys you love him if he’s on your team, and hate playing against him. A team can never have enough good middle infielders in the pipeline.

I’m not surprised Singer is falling (unless there’s a undisclosed medical issue).

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1195 on: June 04, 2018, 08:11:49 PM »
Seems like KC pushed Singer lower and will use their immense draft pool to go quite a bit over to sign him.

Brewers got a guy projected in the top 10 (even 5) for much of the season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1196 on: June 04, 2018, 08:57:11 PM »
Someday soon, a Detroit announcer may say "Mize-y Casey has struck out..... the side"
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1197 on: June 04, 2018, 09:05:40 PM »
Someday soon, a Detroit announcer may say "Mize-y Casey has struck out..... the side"

Likely against the Sox.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1198 on: June 04, 2018, 09:58:50 PM »
Waukesha West High School produces the first high school player drafted.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1199 on: June 05, 2018, 08:52:06 AM »
Waukesha West High School produces the first high school player drafted.

Sort of...it looks like he didn't play high school baseball because the high school season interfered with club season.

This is part of why all high school baseball in Wisconsin is moving to spring season next year, so that kids can play high school in spring and then club all summer.