collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498842 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1025 on: May 25, 2018, 11:01:06 AM »
Hanley Ramirez is DFA'ed.  Didn't see that coming.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2018/05/25/red-sox-part-ways-with-hanley-ramirez/V8PHkHq10EEMLEATQKCeQK/story.html

Intriguing. He's obviously not the Hanley that he was when he signed that monster deal, but he's been plenty serviceable this season (especially early).  Would be a decent depth option, but you'd have to make sure you don't get forced to play him enough for that option to vest ($22M next year at 497 plate appearances, sits at 200 right now).

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1026 on: May 25, 2018, 12:04:02 PM »
Well, it was a bit tongue in cheek in that I (obviously) think Yost is a horrible manager.  One thing he does well is get young guys to play hard and believe that they can win, but he is an atrocious strategic and tactical manager.

I disagree about managing the bullpen perfectly.  Yost's ironclad philosophy is that you have "a 7th inning gut", "an 8th inning guy", and a "9th inning/closer" guy, and he is going to run them out there for one inning each, in that order, no matter what the situation calls for.  Quite the opposite of the idea that you use you best guys based on match-ups and high leverage situation.

I think we just disagree here.  I think how he ran the KC team in '14 and '15 was pretty masterful.  Especially the bullpen, which is where you seem to have the most issues.  Looking back at his Brewer teams, it may not have been his management, it may have been terrible bullpens. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1027 on: May 25, 2018, 12:22:06 PM »
I think we just disagree here.  I think how he ran the KC team in '14 and '15 was pretty masterful.  Especially the bullpen, which is where you seem to have the most issues.  Looking back at his Brewer teams, it may not have been his management, it may have been terrible bullpens.

I remember thinking around that time that the KC bullpen was so good, even Yost couldn’t screw it up.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1028 on: May 25, 2018, 01:17:07 PM »
We'll have to disagree.

He was terrible with the bullpen, but he was terrible with everything.  Penciling in Rickie Weeks at the top of the line up day after day after day long after Weeks could get on base because in Yost's estimation "Rickie's a run scorer" was an example of his cluelessness outside of the bullpen.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1029 on: May 27, 2018, 06:34:14 PM »
The offense is starting to carry the pitching. Big series coming up against the Cards.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1030 on: May 27, 2018, 08:14:13 PM »
The offense is starting to carry the pitching. Big series coming up against the Cards.

Aguilar has been a poor man's Papi so far this season. This team could easily get 75 HRs out of their CIs.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: May 28, 2018, 03:51:54 PM »
The Brewers were a blast to watch last year because they were an upstart and the players seemed to have a ton of fun. They have been an absolute joy to watch thus far this year, and it feels like they'll be playing for something.

Lotta season left, but they have the look of a team just figuring out that they can be really really good

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1032 on: May 28, 2018, 04:29:16 PM »
Even as a huge fan that thought this team had a 50/50 chance of a wild card, I never expected that only the Yankees and Red Sox would have a better record on Memorial Day.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: May 28, 2018, 04:51:32 PM »
dunno what was worse, that Rizzo slide or the play by play guys with a "nothing to see here" characterization of it as a clean aggressive play

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1034 on: May 28, 2018, 06:14:01 PM »
dunno what was worse, that Rizzo slide or the play by play guys with a "nothing to see here" characterization of it as a clean aggressive play

Didn't see it real time, but in the replays, and especially the pictures, it certainly looks dirty.  I can't believe the umps let that call stand upon review.  Diaz was well out of the play and Rizzo went out of his way to hit him.  This is exactly the kind of play baseball has been making rules to avoid. 

^^ This looks dirty.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 06:17:12 PM by buckchuckler »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1035 on: May 28, 2018, 06:50:43 PM »
Maddon has said that he doesn't care for the Cardinals unwritten rules. By the looks of it, he doesn't care for the written ones either.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: May 28, 2018, 10:45:18 PM »
The comments above are laughable.  The play was absolutely not dirty.

Edit: Maybe "laughable" is too strong but I've seen plenty of dirty slides and that was not one.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:02:31 PM by Vander Blue Man Group »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: May 28, 2018, 11:01:54 PM »
The comments above are laughable.  The play was absolutely not dirty.

I for one am shocked at your opinion. 

The play was at best stupid and illegal.  And if MLB keeps setting up rules to protect players they should enforce them.  He clearly went out of his way and out of the basepath to hit the catcher.  That is explicitly against the rule.

As I recall this isn't Rizzo's first grey area encounter with a catcher either. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: May 28, 2018, 11:08:50 PM »

The play was at best stupid and illegal.  And if MLB keeps setting up rules to protect players they should enforce them.  He clearly went out of his way and out of the basepath to hit the catcher.  That is explicitly against the rule.

Strange that it wasn't ruled illegal by the umps on the field or the replay team in NY.

FYI, the rule is not the same as if it was just a play at the playe and not a force.  Now if it was called the other way and reviewed the call likely would have stood in that instance as well.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1039 on: May 29, 2018, 06:55:25 AM »

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1040 on: May 29, 2018, 07:34:13 AM »

This is the rule.

Sliding to Bases on Double Play Attempts

If a runner does not engage in a bona fide slide, and initiates (or attempts to make) contact with the fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play, he should be called for interference under this Rule 6.01. A "bona fide slide" for purposes of Rule 6.01 occurs when the runner:

(1) begins his slide (i.e., makes contact with the ground) before reaching the base;

(2) is able and attempts to reach the base with his hand or foot;

(3) is able and attempts to remain on the base (except home plate) after completion of the slide; and

(4) slides within reach of the base without changing his pathway for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

A runner who engages in a "bona fide slide" shall not be called for interference under this Rule 6.01, even in cases where the runner makes contact with the fielder as a consequence of a permissible slide. In addition, interference shall not be called where a runner's contact with the fielder was caused by the fielder being positioned in (or moving into) the runner's legal pathway to the base.

Notwithstanding the above, a slide shall not be a "bona fide slide" if a runner engages in a "roll block," or intentionally initiates (or attempts to initiate) contact with the fielder by elevating and kicking his leg above the fielder's knee or throwing his arm or his upper body.

If the umpire determines that the runner violated this Rule 6.01(j), the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter-runner out. Note, however, that if the runner has already been put out then the runner on whom the defense was attempting to make a play shall be declared out.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: May 29, 2018, 07:41:01 AM »
This is the rule.

Sliding to Bases on Double Play Attempts

If a runner does not engage in a bona fide slide, and initiates (or attempts to make) contact with the fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play, he should be called for interference under this Rule 6.01. A "bona fide slide" for purposes of Rule 6.01 occurs when the runner:

(1) begins his slide (i.e., makes contact with the ground) before reaching the base;

(2) is able and attempts to reach the base with his hand or foot;

(3) is able and attempts to remain on the base (except home plate) after completion of the slide; and

(4) slides within reach of the base without changing his pathway for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

A runner who engages in a "bona fide slide" shall not be called for interference under this Rule 6.01, even in cases where the runner makes contact with the fielder as a consequence of a permissible slide. In addition, interference shall not be called where a runner's contact with the fielder was caused by the fielder being positioned in (or moving into) the runner's legal pathway to the base.

Notwithstanding the above, a slide shall not be a "bona fide slide" if a runner engages in a "roll block," or intentionally initiates (or attempts to initiate) contact with the fielder by elevating and kicking his leg above the fielder's knee or throwing his arm or his upper body.

If the umpire determines that the runner violated this Rule 6.01(j), the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter-runner out. Note, however, that if the runner has already been put out then the runner on whom the defense was attempting to make a play shall be declared out.

Rizzo did #1, #2, and #3.  #4 is tricky and is a judgement call.  There is no "slide to avoid contact" like there is in youth or collegiate baseball.  However, if you change direction to slide into the catcher, then it IS illegal.  If you watch the video, Rizzo started running OUTSIDE the third base line (as players are taught) then cuts INSIDE the line about 20 feet from home.  Is that far enough back to not be considered changing direction?? I guess so.

I umpire baseball from youth leagues, to high school, to adults.  And in ALL of those situations, I'm probably calling the play interference.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1042 on: May 29, 2018, 08:29:36 AM »
Strange that it wasn't ruled illegal by the umps on the field or the replay team in NY.

FYI, the rule is not the same as if it was just a play at the playe and not a force.  Now if it was called the other way and reviewed the call likely would have stood in that instance as well.

Rizzo could reach the plate with the way that he was sliding but he definitely changed his path and should have been called for interference. I believe that the umps and NY botched that call. It was NOT a dirty play, it was a "good, hard baseball play," but with the current rules, it should have been called interference.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: May 29, 2018, 08:57:10 AM »
If Braun did that to Contreras, I’d assume the reactions would be a little different here.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: May 29, 2018, 09:00:56 AM »
If Braun did that to Contreras, I’d assume the reactions would be a little different here.

Only because we all hate braun.  ;D

Also, it was a dirty slide. lol

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1045 on: May 29, 2018, 09:10:40 AM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: May 29, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »
It wasn't illegal, but I don't think it was great either.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1047 on: May 29, 2018, 09:23:38 AM »
Rizzo could reach the plate with the way that he was sliding but he definitely changed his path and should have been called for interference. I believe that the umps and NY botched that call. It was NOT a dirty play, it was a "good, hard baseball play," but with the current rules, it should have been called interference.

Like I said, I think if the call at the play had been interference and they reviewed it the call would have stood.  The main point I'm arguing is that it wasn't dirty. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1048 on: May 29, 2018, 09:25:32 AM »
Here is the first line from the new collisions at home plate rule

"A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate)."

Rizzo definitely changed his path to hit the catcher.  Simple as that.  Should have been an illegal slide. 

If Diaz had been injured, I think the play would have been universally vilified.   Diaz caught the ball, got the out, cleared the area and Rizzo went out to get him, changing his path to do so.

Diaz didn't get hurt so it isn't the biggest deal in the world, and I am not the biggest fan of all the new "avoid contact" rules, but if they are going to institute these rules, they should be enforced.  Rizzo literally violated the first sentence of the rule. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: May 29, 2018, 09:34:02 AM »
Like I said, I think if the call at the play had been interference and they reviewed it the call would have stood.  The main point I'm arguing is that it wasn't dirty.

Maybe it wasn't.  That freeze frame sure makes it look like Rizzo slid up the backside of his legs while he was pretty vulnerable though.  Maybe it isn't dirty, but it is a pretty fine line and Rizzo is right on it. 

In my opinion Diaz did what he was supposed to do to avoid contact, and Rizzo broke the rule to make sure he initiated contact.  That was not incidental contact on the play, it was intentional.