collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498973 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #550 on: April 10, 2018, 06:12:28 PM »
Burrow, no need to apologize.  I know all the numbers, know how they came to be, and agree.  Mr I's need for a title before he died paired with Dombrowski's GM style guaranteed that when the tear down happened, it would be dramatic.  I know which two free agent signings handcuffed them enough to keep them from signing Scherzer .  (Fielder and Sanchez). I know the lack of home grown bats during DD's tenure forced the Cespedes/Porcello trade.  I know which players were involved in the teammate-sleeping-with-teammate's-wife scandal which led to a series of personnel moves.  I know the Tigers' history and how it created their future.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:42:55 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #551 on: April 10, 2018, 06:15:28 PM »
Yep, they weren't whiffers. And to talk about another recent guy ...

When I was going a little research on the Hall of Fame candidates, what really jumped out at me was how little Vlad Guerrero struck out.

Here was a big-time power guy with two 40 HR seasons and six 30 HR seasons, averaged 34 HR and 113 RBI per 162 games, and had a reputation of being a guy who never met a pitch he didn't like to swing at.

Nevertheless, his career high in strikeouts was 95 - in his first season as a full-time player - and he only had one other season with more than 80.

Batted .318, OPS .931. Damn right he's a Hall of Famer ... unless his exit velocity wasn't quite up to par.
I loved Vlad.  I remember seeing him get a hit on a ball that was in the dirt--in the opposite batter's box.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #552 on: April 10, 2018, 07:41:58 PM »
Burrow, no need to apologize.  I know all the numbers, know how they came to be, and agree.  Mr I's need for a title before he died paired with Dombrowski's GM style guaranteed that when the tear down happened, it would be dramatic.  I know which two free agent signings handcuffed them enough to keep them from signing Scherzer .  (Fielder and Sanchez). I know the lack of home grown bats during DD's tenure forced the Cespedes/Porcelain trade.  I know which players were involved in the teammate-sleeping-with-teammate's-wife scandal which led to a series of personnel moves.  I know the Tigers' history and how it created their future.

Avi!

And I have to say, if I were in Mr. I's position, I would ha e gone all out as well and I can really appreciate his style.  Having an owner that wants to win is a great thing.  Teams like the Pirates, Marlins etc. could only wish for a dedicated owner.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:44:55 PM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #553 on: April 10, 2018, 07:43:02 PM »
I loved Vlad.  I remember seeing him get a hit on a ball that was in the dirt--in the opposite batter's box.

Saw a cool highlight reel about Vlad last year.   All hits on pitches that bounced.  It was fun as heck.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #554 on: April 10, 2018, 07:46:21 PM »

Avi!
One of the few position players the Detroit farm system produced over the last 12 years.  And there was really no choice but to trade him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #555 on: April 10, 2018, 09:51:39 PM »
It's a different game now.  DiMaggio wasn't facing guys throwing 95 and he certainly wasn't facing three or four fresh guys over the course of a game each throwing in the mid to uppers 90s.  It is hard to string together hits against these types of pitchers so you have to sell out for power because one bomb after a walk is more likely to happen than a bunch of singles.

I guarantee if Stanton was facing the same guy (who doesn't touch the high 80s on the radar) four or five times a game he wouldn't be striking out a ton either. 

I don't know what they can do about it, but three true outcomes baseball, even if it is effective, is dull to watch.

Yeah ... if only DiMaggio and Gehrig could have been as good as Stanton and Judge.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #556 on: April 10, 2018, 10:00:05 PM »
Any opinions here on Ohtani?

My thought was that it was a lotta hype - as baseball is prone to do. But, this may be the best start for a rookie in baseball history.

He currently ranks in the top 5 in MLB for both 4-seam fastball velocity from the mound and exit velocity from the plate. Unprecedented - although we don't know where The Babe ranked at the same point in his career (for obvious reasons). Don't think he can keep it up, but what are opinions here?

Please, Wades, no "juiced" comments ;)

Let us see how he does against teams not named the Oakland A's when he is on the mound.  Surprising start.   If I were an Angels fan I would be worried that he hits left and his pitching arm is exposed.  Someone may be tempted to drill him with a pitch or two.  You can see this happening as the season goes on, especially going into a big series where he may be hitting one day and pitching a few days later.   They will pitch him inside to get hi off the plate, something 99% of National League pitchers don't have to worry when facing pitchers batting.  Some bench clearing brawls are probably more on the horizon with that team potentially.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #557 on: April 11, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »
Yeah ... if only DiMaggio and Gehrig could have been as good as Stanton and Judge.

I don't think he was implying the old guys aren't as good, but that a different plate approach is required now because pitchers don't make as many mistakes and/or don't get worn down.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #558 on: April 11, 2018, 09:08:55 AM »
Let us see how he does against teams not named the Oakland A's when he is on the mound.  Surprising start.   If I were an Angels fan I would be worried that he hits left and his pitching arm is exposed.  Someone may be tempted to drill him with a pitch or two.  You can see this happening as the season goes on, especially going into a big series where he may be hitting one day and pitching a few days later.   They will pitch him inside to get hi off the plate, something 99% of National League pitchers don't have to worry when facing pitchers batting.  Some bench clearing brawls are probably more on the horizon with that team potentially.

There are plenty of RHPs who bat lefty. Ohtani wears a pad from his elbow to his upper arm anyway. I can't imagine any "arm-hunting" going on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #559 on: April 11, 2018, 09:24:06 AM »

I don't think he was implying the old guys aren't as good, but that a different plate approach is required now because pitchers don't make as many mistakes and/or don't get worn down.

Oh, you're probably right. I was just being snarky.

Having said that ...

Those guys played well before expansion watered down the talent significantly. There might be a lot of relief pitchers now, but a bunch of them probably should be in Triple-A.

You know, I'm pretty sure Ted Williams and Willie Mays would have done OK today!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #560 on: April 11, 2018, 09:29:52 AM »

Having said that ...

Those guys played well before expansion watered down the talent significantly. There might be a lot of relief pitchers now, but a bunch of them probably should be in Triple-A.

You know, I'm pretty sure Ted Williams and Willie Mays would have done OK today!

20-25 years ago, Ted Williams was being interviewed and it was mentioned to him that modern pitchers were better, stronger, threw harder, etc. Williams was asked, "What do you think your batting average would be if you played today?" He responded that he'd hit around .280-.290. The interviewer was very surprised that Teddy Ballgame thought his average would be that low and Williams responded, "You gotta remember, I'm 75 years old."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #561 on: April 11, 2018, 09:32:34 AM »

Having said that ...

I'm sure they would too, if given the access to things that modern ball players are given. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #562 on: April 11, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »

In the late 90s on a visit to Montreal I took in a game at Olympic Stadium.  The wife and I sat in right field and it was a pleasure to see Vlad gun a guy out a home.  A laser throw right on target to the catcher.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #563 on: April 11, 2018, 11:55:31 AM »

That is not true.  The increase in population alone from DiMaggio's time until now more than makes up for the difference in depth of quality, not to mention African Americans and international players.  The quality of play is significantly better now and will be significantly better again 50 years from now.  Just look at a baseball reference team page in the 30s and 40s.  9 guys would pitch 95% of the teams innings.  Just about nobody had a slider.  You can't tell me it wasn't much, much easier to hit back then.

DiMaggio and Williams would still be great ball players today, but not .344 career batting average or 56 game hitting streak great. 

In every sport where you can objectively measure results, it is readily apparent that today's athletes are much, much better than there predecessors from a generation ago.  Only baseball and boxing fans seem to think differently.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #564 on: April 11, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »
Saw a cool highlight reel about Vlad last year.   All hits on pitches that bounced.  It was fun as heck.
Do you happen to have a link or know where you saw it?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #565 on: April 11, 2018, 01:35:27 PM »
That is not true.  The increase in population alone from DiMaggio's time until now more than makes up for the difference in depth of quality, not to mention African Americans and international players.  The quality of play is significantly better now and will be significantly better again 50 years from now.  Just look at a baseball reference team page in the 30s and 40s.  9 guys would pitch 95% of the teams innings.  Just about nobody had a slider.  You can't tell me it wasn't much, much easier to hit back then.

DiMaggio and Williams would still be great ball players today, but not .344 career batting average or 56 game hitting streak great. 

In every sport where you can objectively measure results, it is readily apparent that today's athletes are much, much better than there predecessors from a generation ago.  Only baseball and boxing fans seem to think differently.

You make some good points here.

But the all-time greats are the all-time greats. As sultan said, maybe guys like DiMag and Willie take advantage of all the training aids available now - from exercise to video to weights to hyperbaric chambers to freakin' roids - and they'd be even better than they were.

Last I saw, Stanton and Judge didn't lose 3-5 years fighting in wars, either!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #566 on: April 11, 2018, 03:44:10 PM »

The best athletes aren't always the best baseball players.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #567 on: April 11, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »
Do you happen to have a link or know where you saw it?

It was on MLB network I believe...not 100% sure.  I'll see if I can track it down.

EDIT>>>>

Couldn't find it.  This is pretty good though, one off a bounce.  Maybe I wasn't remembering it correctly but I was sure I remembered a couple from his Expos days as well.  This is still pretty fun to watch

https://youtu.be/RUErJ5zcwYo

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:06:25 AM by buckchuckler »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #568 on: April 11, 2018, 04:07:05 PM »

Don't be badmouthin' John Kruk.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #569 on: April 11, 2018, 04:29:44 PM »

This goes for every sport

See: Jamil Wilson  8-)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #570 on: April 12, 2018, 07:51:48 AM »
This goes for every sport

See: Jamil Wilson  8-)

Wilson is long and can jump. That doesn't necessarily make him a great athlete. And, oh by the way, the guy played in the NBA so he couldn't be all that bad at basketball.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #571 on: April 12, 2018, 09:03:27 AM »
Don't be badmouthin' John Kruk.

I didn't call anyone out by name!  I was actually more thinking of pitchers.  There are so many really good pitchers that couldn't make it up a flight of stairs. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #572 on: April 12, 2018, 11:41:29 AM »
Wilson is long and can jump. That doesn't necessarily make him a great athlete. And, oh by the way, the guy played in the NBA so he couldn't be all that bad at basketball.

Wilson was freakishly athletic. Without an ounce of talent. With the nba however, it's amazing how far pure athletic talent can take you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #573 on: April 12, 2018, 12:02:48 PM »
Wilson was freakishly athletic. Without an ounce of talent. With the nba however, it's amazing how far pure athletic talent can take you.

Without an ounce of talent?

Hot taek alert!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #574 on: April 12, 2018, 12:10:17 PM »

I think you have it backwards.

He was not a freak athlete. Not overly quick. Not a quick leaper. Not real quick lateral movement.

His talent made him a good player. Lack of elite athleticism kept him from being great.