[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498109 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1325 on: June 13, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »

See now *that's* quality social media right there!

As opposed to the sh*t-talking of two insecure fan bases that regularly occurs here.

That was very well done.

Give credit where credit's due, it was a fun, smart baseball play that eventually led to 2 additional runs scoring. Tip 'o the cap to Lorenzo Cain.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1326 on: June 13, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
As opposed to the sh*t-talking of two insecure fan bases that regularly occurs here.

I'm still confident the Cubs will win the division.  I wouldn't call that insecure.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1327 on: June 13, 2018, 10:18:32 AM »
I'm still confident the Cubs will win the division.  I wouldn't call that insecure.

Sure.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1329 on: June 13, 2018, 10:21:38 AM »
Just to change directions,

Mike Trout is having his best season ever. 

That is all.  Not as fun as standings in June, but, something different.

Oh yeah, and Paul Goldschmidt remembered how to hit. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1330 on: June 13, 2018, 10:24:27 AM »

And most people don't even notice because he plays on the west coast.

He can retire right now at 26 and be a Hall of Famer.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1331 on: June 13, 2018, 10:30:15 AM »
Just to change directions,

That is all.  Not as fun as standings in June, but, something different.

Oh yeah, and Paul Goldschmidt remembered how to hit.

And Chris Davis might be having THE worst season ever.

Think the O's would be willing to take less on a Machado deal if their trade partner also took Davis and the $92M remaining on his deal? To quote Sultan: And veterans wonder why MLB teams aren't handing out big number contracts like they used to?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1332 on: June 13, 2018, 10:36:54 AM »
And Chris Davis might be having THE worst season ever.

Think the O's would be willing to take less on a Machado deal if their trade partner also took Davis and the $92M remaining on his deal? To quote Sultan: And veterans wonder why MLB teams aren't handing out big number contracts like they used to?

That was a horrible contract right from the start.  I loved their negotiating:  "Here is our best deal.  Take it by this day"  --A month later-- "Ok, we will give you more money even there are no other teams currently vying for your services."

Then they sign the same player 3 more times.

I heard yesterday they haven't hit a non-solo homer since May 19th.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1333 on: June 13, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »
That was a horrible contract right from the start.  I loved their negotiating:  "Here is our best deal.  Take it by this day"  --A month later-- "Ok, we will give you more money even there are no other teams currently vying for your services."

Then they sign the same player 3 more times.

I heard yesterday they haven't hit a non-solo homer since May 19th.

The Orioles are a freaking trainwreck.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1334 on: June 13, 2018, 11:43:57 AM »

Sure.

My concerns with the Cubs are:

1) Bullpen useage. The bullpen has been awesome so far but they are racking up innings. If the starters don’t begin going to deeper into games, I fully expect the bullpen’s effectiveness to drop off in the later months of the season.  I expect the Cubs to pick up a reliever at the deadline plus Carl Edwards will hopefully be back which will help lessen the work load.

2) Yu Darvish. I’m confident he will get back to form. My concern is when he will be back to actually get back into form. Montgomery is doing an exceptional job in the mean time filling in.

3) Tyler Chatwood throwing strikes. He has great stuff but no control of the strike zone. I wouldn’t mind getting him a few “rehab” starts in Iowa once Darvish returns to get his mechanics where they need to be.

Some people are worried about Kris Bryant’s power slump. He’s still batting close to .300  during this “slump” so I’m not concerned about that. Also Javy is in the middle of a cold streak. That’s just who he is. He will carry a team for a couple weeks then won’t come within two feet of a pitched ball the next. I’m sure he will go back and forth several more times this season.

Even with these issues I’m confident the Cubs will win the division. Barring a major injury I just don’t think the Brewers or Cardinals have enough to finish ahead of them. That’s not a knock. I think the Brewers are a good team, I just think the Cubs are better.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1335 on: June 13, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »
My concerns with the Cubs are:

1) Bullpen useage. The bullpen has been awesome so far but they are racking up innings. If the starters don’t begin going to deeper into games, I fully expect the bullpen’s effectiveness to drop off in the later months of the season.  I expect the Cubs to pick up a reliever at the deadline plus Carl Edwards will hopefully be back which will help lessen the work load.

2) Yu Darvish. I’m confident he will get back to form. My concern is when he will be back to actually get back into form. Montgomery is doing an exceptional job in the mean time filling in.

3) Tyler Chatwood throwing strikes. He has great stuff but no control of the strike zone. I wouldn’t mind getting him a few “rehab” starts in Iowa once Darvish returns to get his mechanics where they need to be.

Some people are worried about Kris Bryant’s power slump. He’s still batting close to .300  during this “slump” so I’m not concerned about that. Also Javy is in the middle of a cold streak. That’s just who he is. He will carry a team for a couple weeks then won’t come within two feet of a pitched ball the next. I’m sure he will go back and forth several more times this season.

Even with these issues I’m confident the Cubs will win the division. Barring a major injury I just don’t think the Brewers or Cardinals have enough to finish ahead of them. That’s not a knock. I think the Brewers are a good team, I just think the Cubs are better.

So you are confident because your bullpen is being overused, Darvish will be a different guy than he has for the last year (4.50 ERA in the 2nd half last year --not counting the disaster of the playoffs-- and we know about this year), that Chatwood can't throw strikes and needs to go to Iowa, .280 is close to .300 and Javy Baez is streaky?  Got it.

;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:16:19 PM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1336 on: June 13, 2018, 12:19:09 PM »
The Orioles are a freaking trainwreck.

Machado, Britton, Brach, O'Day, Jones, Schoop...

If they play their firesale right, they could really re-load their system.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1337 on: June 13, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »
Marquette's own Sophia Minnaert hired by the Brewers and will continue to do in-game reporting for FS Wisconsin.

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2018/06/13/milwaukee-brewers-hire-fox-sports-wisconsins.html

She's awesome, glad the Brewers were able to keep her.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1338 on: June 13, 2018, 12:33:33 PM »
So you are confident because your bullpen is being overused, Darvish will be a different guy than he has for the last year (4.50 ERA in the 2nd half last year --not counting the disaster of the playoffs-- and we know about this year), that Chatwood can't throw strikes and needs to go to Iowa, .280 is close to .300 and Javy Baez is streaky?  Got it.

;)

Uh, he said those were his concerns...

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1339 on: June 13, 2018, 12:48:17 PM »
Uh, he said those were his concerns...

Sorry, let me rephrase my snarky comment,

So other than the bullpen being overworked and wilting as the season wears on, 1 starter being injured and ineffective, another not knowing the K-zone, a power hitter with less power and a super streaky 2B that has no K-zone judgement at all, you aren't concerned.

Got it.

;)

There, that better?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1340 on: June 13, 2018, 01:49:06 PM »

So other than the bullpen being overworked and wilting as the season wears on, 1 starter being injured and ineffective, another not knowing the K-zone, a power hitter with less power and a super streaky 2B that has no K-zone judgement at all, you aren't concerned.

Got it.

;)

There, that better?

Not sure where they are now, but last weekend the Cubs led the National League in ERA, Fangraphs DEF, WRC+, and Fangraphs BsR.  If they aren't still in first, they are near the top.  So yes, despite these concerns I have, I am confident the Cubs will win the division.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1341 on: June 13, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »

Got it.

;)

There, that better?

Do you have any concerns about the Brewers?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1342 on: June 13, 2018, 02:14:30 PM »
Not sure where they are now, but last weekend the Cubs led the National League in ERA, Fangraphs DEF, WRC+, and Fangraphs BsR.  If they aren't still in first, they are near the top.  So yes, despite these concerns I have, I am confident the Cubs will win the division.

The Cubs also have the best run differential in the NL. Sure, they have their issues but nearly every current projection site still has the Cubs finishing with the best record in the NL.

Also, let's remember that the Cubs were sitting at .500 after 64 games last season, were 2 games below .500 at the ASB and went on to win 92 games. This team knows how to win, especially down the stretch.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1343 on: June 13, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »
Do you have any concerns about the Brewers?

He may, but he's a White Sox fan.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1344 on: June 13, 2018, 02:18:48 PM »
He may, but he's a White Sox fan.

Ahhhh didn't realize that.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1345 on: June 13, 2018, 02:30:08 PM »
a super streaky 2B that has no K-zone judgement at all

Yet is only 3 behind the league leader in RBI.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1346 on: June 13, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »
There’s 180 million reasons we haven’t seen the last of Miggy.  Not saying he’s going to be any good, but he’s gonna keep playing until that contract runs up.  He has five years left!

Pujols is in the same boat, but he only has three $30m seasons left, not five.

For what it’s worth... Cabrera’s slash line this season is .299/.395/.448 but Pujols’ is only .252/.288/.415.  That’s barely replacement level.
I love Miggy.   I know he has every intention of playing out his contract.  I just don't know if he can be counted on any more.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1347 on: June 13, 2018, 02:43:11 PM »
Yet is only 3 behind the league leader in RBI.

RBI is a relatively useless stat.
The fact Baez is 5th in RBIs while 31st in OPS and 33rd in WAR tells confirms.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1348 on: June 13, 2018, 02:46:49 PM »

Got it.

;)

There, that better?

That's better.  And personally, nope, not at all concerned about where the team will be in the standings after the regular season ends. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1349 on: June 13, 2018, 02:49:15 PM »
RBI is a relatively useless stat.
The fact Baez is 5th in RBIs while 31st in OPS and 33rd in WAR tells confirms.

So he's a top 35 player in the league?  I'll take that in a second.

feedback