[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Haanif Gone  (Read 42781 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Haanif Gone
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 10:56:50 AM »
This is obviously a surprise.  He was getting playing time and seemed engaged on the court so I have no reason to think this is anything related to the program itself.  I hope everything is ok. 

From the basketball point of view it hurts.  While he didn't reach the ceiling many hoped for and expected he was still a valuable member of the team.  A lot of playing time just opened up for Anim, Elliott, and Cain - hopefully they can take advantage of it. 

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »
Then why transfer now?  Why not finish the semester and transfer in December?  This isn't a Maymon, Cohen or Taylor Jr. situation where Haanif isn't getting PT or putting up stats.  Averaging 8.2 & 2.8 in 26.2 as a starter through five games just doesn't fit the "Cohen" mold.

Maybe he's looking for a school with a strength & conditioning program that will allow him to improve enough to dunk a basketball. Or a coach that will teach him how to use his right hand.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 11:04:58 AM »
Maybe he's looking for a school with a strength & conditioning program that will allow him to improve enough to dunk a basketball. Or a coach that will teach him how to use his right hand.

Calling out our S&C program is the trolliest of troll moves.  Bravo.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »
Or one with "fans" that aren't a-holes
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »
Super strange.  Almost has to be family related.  Basically burns 1 year of his remaining 1.5 years of eligibility.  You don't do that sort of stuff unless you're absolutely miserable, or something horrible has happened with your family and you need to step away from the game completely for some time.  Terrible decision for his basketball career eligibility-wise. Based on Wojo's comments, "We want to thanks Haanif for his contributions to the program and wish him the best of luck as he looks to continue his career elsewhere" sounds pretty definitive and that this is a done deal.  Someone above previously had mentioned that this may be a short-term leave of absence.

His scholarship is gone for the year correct?  Basically, we still have 1 opening for the current season, not 2, correct? 

I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 11:10:31 AM »
Every...single....year..... someone leaves.  Various reasons, but hope all is well with the family.

This will hurt both this year and next, needed his height at guard, plus experience.  Even though his minutes have declined.  Gonna see a lot of Sacar and Elliott now. 

Best of luck to Haanif, maybe comes home to FAU, FIU or someplace else close to home.   

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2017, 11:10:59 AM »
This makes it seem likely it was due to on-court issue rather than a family related thing.

"Coach Steve Wojciechowski announced the departure on Monday. He wished Cheatham luck as he looks to continue his college career elsewhere."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2017, 11:13:24 AM »
This makes it seem likely it was due to on-court issue rather than a family related thing.

"Coach Steve Wojciechowski announced the departure on Monday. He wished Cheatham luck as he looks to continue his college career elsewhere."

I don't think it says that at all. It could be an on court thing, or it could be Haanif legitimately needs to be closer to home for some reason.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2017, 11:14:38 AM »

No it doesn't

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »
From what I have been told, it has nothing to do with the program/Wojo and everything to do with family.  Please respect his decision and appreciate what he has done in his time at MU.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2017, 11:20:10 AM »

The timing would argue against that, I think.  I think if it were basketball related he would have at least finished the semester given the time he has played already.

I hope Haanif and his family are well and wish him the best of luck.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2017, 11:21:09 AM »
Best of luck Haanie. Thanks for your years of service here. You represented us well and played your heart out. I hope all is well and you find success wherever your next stop is.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2017, 11:28:03 AM »
Next man up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2017, 11:37:05 AM »
and people on this board were worried we wouldn't have room for a grad transfer point guard ::)

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »
and people on this board were worried we wouldn't have room for a grad transfer point guard ::)
Yep—always seems to make itself available. Never stop recruiting.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »
Let's hope that whatever it is, he is able to finish the semester academically.

It would be a shame to drop out with three weeks left in the semester.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2017, 11:53:49 AM »
Wow...that's a blow. He really seemed to have carved out a solid, solid niche here. I'm crossing my fingers that this turns out to be a Juan Anderson type situation where he reconsiders, but if not, best of luck to the young man.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:22 AM »
Was originally against it but starting to see the benefit of 14 scholarships versus 13.  With all of these transfers 1-3 schollie's per year are tied up on players who are not playing.

We are now one injury in our backcourt of being screwed this season.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2017, 12:01:56 PM »
Wow...that's a blow. He really seemed to have carved out a solid, solid niche here. I'm crossing my fingers that this turns out to be a Juan Anderson type situation where he reconsiders, but if not, best of luck to the young man.

Wojo's comments made it seem pretty definitive. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2017, 12:12:40 PM »
Wojo's comments made it seem pretty definitive.

Here's what Buzz said when Juan "left":

"We are incredibly grateful for all that Juan has done here on and off the floor during his tenure," Williams said. "Because of family reasons, he feels like it is important to get back closer to home in order to support his family. We wish him the best and will cheer for him from Milwaukee."

Seems just as definitive. No idea what will happen, just saying that I'd like to see Cheatham be given the opportunity to reconsider if the situation allows it, especially since just a few days ago he seemed very happy and engaged with the program.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2017, 12:16:58 PM »
Here's what Buzz said when Juan "left":

"We are incredibly grateful for all that Juan has done here on and off the floor during his tenure," Williams said. "Because of family reasons, he feels like it is important to get back closer to home in order to support his family. We wish him the best and will cheer for him from Milwaukee."

Seems just as definitive. No idea what will happen, just saying that I'd like to see Cheatham be given the opportunity to reconsider if the situation allows it, especially since just a few days ago he seemed very happy and engaged with the program.

No doubt.  I certainly hope he reconsiders. We're an injury away from some serious issues, and we weren't exactly in a position to lose one of our starters and probably our 4th biggest contributor / most important player. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2017, 12:20:27 PM »
Couldn't this situation be similar to Sandy Cohen...mid-semester transfer and apply for an extra year of eligibility.  So he could go somewhere and play for 1.5 more years(?).

Doubtful he would get it with 131 minutes played already.  Personal and/or injury status would have to be the appeal, versus Cohen being more of a barely set foot on the court case.

Really seems like the statement is correct and it's family related.  At 26 mpg and the door wide open to take on a bigger role it's hard to fathom anything basketball-related. 

Anyway, Greg Elliott, Sacar Anim, Jamal Cain, have at it.  They weren't really "blocked" from PT as is, but now they're very needed.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2017, 12:21:24 PM »
Sad to see him leave, have heard he is a very nice person, class act.  On the court, he was OK defensively, issues on the offensive side.  This year they needed him,
next year different story.  This really can help MU next year as there is a glaring weakness at the point guard position.  A grad transfer is what I would be hoping for
 or a freshman who is good enough to play right away decent minutes.  One thing about college hoops and players, it is very fluid.  At least he had a week in Hawaii,
nice final trip. 

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2017, 12:43:55 PM »
Will MU waive ike eke redshirt now?

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »
On 11/11 he posted on Instagram a pic of him and heldt that says came in together - going out together-so doesn't sound like he had any idea of transferring two and half weeks ago

feedback