[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette to raise tuition to $41,290  (Read 20210 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Marquette to raise tuition to $41,290
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2018, 07:31:22 AM »
What's the definition of "net" tuition?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2018, 08:17:21 AM »
What's the definition of "net" tuition?

Net tuition is what the average student pays after Marquette applies their discount.

Basically it is total tuition dollars charged by MU, minus total institutional aid (not including federal financial aid or private scholarships), divided by the total number of students.

So a 5% increase in tuition doesn't really tell the whole story.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2018, 09:09:49 AM »
Any guess as what it is for MU?  Or any others?  Ever published anywhere?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2018, 09:24:43 AM »
I don't have a guess.  It is generally not easy to find, because ultimately they don't want competition to know.  But generally you can find some hints. 

For example:  https://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/May2017.pdf

"FY17 Revenues

Projected revenues are $5.1 million lower than the budget due to lower net tuition revenues, contributions, and other income. Gross tuition will be
over budget by approximately $2.9 million. This increase is due to several programs being greater than budget – undergraduate – 29 students, Law –
27, and Direct Entry Nursing – 52. (Please note for the Direct Entry Nursing, Marquette shares the revenue with the online provider, Orbis so we
only keep 30% of the revenue.)

This increase in gross tuition is offset by higher discounts. Undergraduate discount is expected to be over budget by $3.8 million. Law School
discount is expected to be over budget by $1.8 million and IntercollegiateAthletic scholarships are projected to be over budget by $0.3 million.
Therefore total net tuition revenue is projected to be $266.6 million which is lower than budget by $0.9 million."

This includes both graduate and undergraduate though.  This year, Marquette had a total headcount of 11,605.  Simple division shows that this would mean total net tuition of $22,972.85.

However there are problems with this.  First, mixing graduate and undergraduate clouds the picture up - for instance, how many graduate students are receiving a discount since they are a TA?  I have no idea.  Second, headcount isn't as useful as FTE enrollment would be.  Using FTE probably drives it down less than 10,000 meaning net tuition increases.  Third, this includes athletic scholarships and other forms of aid that aren't accessible to most students.

But that's basically how it works.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »
If you Google "Marquette Acceptance Rate", the data says that the average tuition after assistance is $31K.  Don't know if this is accurate or not.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2018, 10:16:21 AM »
I don't have a guess.  It is generally not easy to find, because ultimately they don't want competition to know.  But generally you can find some hints. 

For example:  https://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/May2017.pdf

"FY17 Revenues

Projected revenues are $5.1 million lower than the budget due to lower net tuition revenues, contributions, and other income. Gross tuition will be
over budget by approximately $2.9 million. This increase is due to several programs being greater than budget – undergraduate – 29 students, Law –
27, and Direct Entry Nursing – 52. (Please note for the Direct Entry Nursing, Marquette shares the revenue with the online provider, Orbis so we
only keep 30% of the revenue.)

This increase in gross tuition is offset by higher discounts. Undergraduate discount is expected to be over budget by $3.8 million. Law School
discount is expected to be over budget by $1.8 million and IntercollegiateAthletic scholarships are projected to be over budget by $0.3 million.
Therefore total net tuition revenue is projected to be $266.6 million which is lower than budget by $0.9 million."

This includes both graduate and undergraduate though.  This year, Marquette had a total headcount of 11,605.  Simple division shows that this would mean total net tuition of $22,972.85.

However there are problems with this.
  First, mixing graduate and undergraduate clouds the picture up - for instance, how many graduate students are receiving a discount since they are a TA?  I have no idea.  Second, headcount isn't as useful as FTE enrollment would be.  Using FTE probably drives it down less than 10,000 meaning net tuition increases.  Third, this includes athletic scholarships and other forms of aid that aren't accessible to most students.

But that's basically how it works.

It's way higher than that for the reasons you cite. (I don't have any inside stats.)  The average undergrad pays way more than that.  Way more.

Graduate school students in certain colleges are an interesting example as you indicate.  That's an area where I do have personal knowledge and it certainly skews the overall data.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2018, 11:10:39 AM »
The average undergrad pays way more than that.  Way more.

Not to be semantic (pedantic?), but I think you're saying the median undergrad - and using that (not unfairly) as a representation of your typical Marquette student. Stats lie, or at least allow us to talk past each other.  It is probably true that the mean tuition paid by Marquette students is close to $23k, but the median Marquette student pays $31k - all starting from a sticker price $43k.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »
Not to be semantic (pedantic?), but I think you're saying the median undergrad - and using that (not unfairly) as a representation of your typical Marquette student. Stats lie, or at least allow us to talk past each other.  It is probably true that the mean tuition paid by Marquette students is close to $23k, but the median Marquette student pays $31k - all starting from a sticker price $43k.

Yes I meant median. But it it not true (absent NEED BASED aid) that the mean UNDERGRAD pays $23k cash.  A uggee (as in max) merit based scholly is in the low teens per year.  (There are some very minor exceptions.)  And you have better be above a 4.0, have written higher than a 32-33, and been co-captain of the soccer team in HS to achieve that. 

Many kids get some level of merit based aid.  For the vast majority that's in the low 4 figures taking the $43k sticker down modestly.  There's no two ways about it.  It's expensive to go to MU these days.  For those of you a generation behind me, crank up those 529s for your kids.

What I was going at was the impact that graduate studies has on the average that Sultan calculated.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2018, 11:26:34 AM »
tuition doubling in 14 years is... not great.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2018, 11:35:35 AM »
Yes I meant median. But it it not true (absent NEED BASED aid) that the mean UNDERGRAD pays $23k cash.  A uggee (as in max) merit based scholly is in the low teens per year.  (There are some very minor exceptions.)  And you have better be above a 4.0, have written higher than a 32-33, and been co-captain of the soccer team in HS to achieve that. 
[/b]

This may be a year or two out of date.  My kid with quals like you describe applied and was just accepted with a merit based offered in the upper teens.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2018, 01:11:00 PM »
[/b]

This may be a year or two out of date.  My kid with quals like you describe applied and was just accepted with a merit based offered in the upper teens.

I'll accept that.  Makes sense.

When my kids started tuition had yet to hit $30k as I recall.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2018, 05:15:40 PM »
It’s only money, Chico’s.

I got the letter too....was going to post it.  That’s a lot of pesos MU amigo.

Thankfully scholarship keeps the amount much lower.  Second child about to go to school in 18 months, but likely staying west. LMU, USC, or UC schools.  Does make you wonder if it is worth it.  She is going into film, and peers of mine have said don’t bother, have her start as a PA and get started working.  Makes you wonder.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2018, 11:20:58 PM »
It's way higher than that for the reasons you cite. (I don't have any inside stats.)  The average undergrad pays way more than that.  Way more.

Graduate school students in certain colleges are an interesting example as you indicate.  That's an area where I do have personal knowledge and it certainly skews the overall data.

According to number from MU, and a number of different sites (including Forbes) the average grant-in-aid to MU students is over $15k per year. 

I discussed this last year in this same thread.  What MU and other college-advising sites consider grant-in-aid will vary, but as a general rule of thumb, most private Universities are providing a 30-40% discount on the book rate on average. 

Some schools (USC for instance), allow parents to pay for the entire tuition for the entire degree upfront at a discount, for parents concerned with the annual increases.  Others have actively pursued overseas students from China or the Middle East that pay full freight to offset price pressures. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2018, 06:14:29 AM »
Does grant in aid include need based financial assistance?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2018, 10:19:47 AM »
Does grant in aid include need based financial assistance?

I would say, yes, but again, the University and these aggregating sites do not really define what they consider grant-in-aid. 

Some Universities also include federal work study grants.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #140 on: December 13, 2018, 01:02:51 PM »
I got the letter too....was going to post it.  That’s a lot of pesos MU amigo.

Thankfully scholarship keeps the amount much lower.  Second child about to go to school in 18 months, but likely staying west. LMU, USC, or UC schools.  Does make you wonder if it is worth it.  She is going into film, and peers of mine have said don’t bother, have her start as a PA and get started working.  Makes you wonder.

I thought you were done with this board/website?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2018, 12:15:30 AM »
I thought you were done with this board/website?

I kept being brought up by so many of you each week, it was like I was living in your heads rent free.  Why not get the real thing?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »
I kept being brought up by so many of you each week, it was like I was living in your heads rent free.  Why not get the real thing?

That logic is sound...

feedback