[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette to raise tuition to $41,290  (Read 20075 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Marquette to raise tuition to $41,290
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2018, 12:14:11 PM »
I remember picking housing for my freshman year (Fall of 2004), and you were asked to rank your top 4 choices. MU screwed that up so tons of people (myself included) ended up with a choice that they didn't even include in their top 4. It was pretty infuriating at the time, but it all worked out. I had a great year.

MU does need to get their ducks in a row for the amount they charge, but students need to learn to roll with it. It is housing for 9 months. It really isn't that big of a deal.

That is easier said for an alum not raised in the digital world.  In my day it was extremely archaic.  These kids have been raised on smart phones, tablets, computers.  You press a button and things happen.  When they don't happen three different occasions their world feels like it is crashing.  You are not wrong, they do need to role with it, but their point of view on technology is much different than ours.  They have very little patience for stuff not working, and those companies, universities, etc, that just make it work are going to be their customers.  Those that fail at what should be trivial tasks of delivering a service will fail.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2018, 12:24:09 PM »
That is easier said for an alum not raised in the digital world.  In my day it was extremely archaic.  These kids have been raised on smart phones, tablets, computers.  You press a button and things happen.  When they don't happen three different occasions their world feels like it is crashing.  You are not wrong, they do need to role with it, but their point of view on technology is much different than ours.  They have very little patience for stuff not working, and those companies, universities, etc, that just make it work are going to be their customers.  Those that fail at what should be trivial tasks of delivering a service will fail.

In this case the students got angry at MU, because a third party contractor, who was handling the IT side of this process couldn't get their program working properly. 

These kids need to get their undies out of a bunch, because they look like 2-year olds throwing a fit because their sandwich is cut into a square instead of a rectangle. 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2018, 12:32:06 PM »
In this case the students got angry at MU, because a third party contractor, who was handling the IT side of this process couldn't get their program working properly. 

These kids need to get their undies out of a bunch, because they look like 2-year olds throwing a fit because their sandwich is cut into a square instead of a rectangle.

I don't think so.  Kids had to move schedules, MISS CLASSES on multiple occasions, to register for dorms three times and still doesn't work.

I'm sorry, but when you miss class and the university can't get it right, that isn't going to sit well with them. Saying that is equivalent of a rectangle sandwich misses the mark.  Fortunately most kids don't miss class because of the time of day, but some did or had to move other schedules.   

University has to get this right.  Vendor or not, the university controls that relationship. Anyone that works for a living with vendors knows that which pays the bills controls.  That vendor should be taking absolute hell on this, refunding money and making sure they have tested this for days every which way.  Cannot let it fail again.
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2018, 12:44:11 PM »
I don't think so.  Kids had to move schedules, MISS CLASSES on multiple occasions, to register for dorms three times and still doesn't work.

If kids had to move schedules, MISS CLASSES, then they aren't responsible enough to be in college.

Simple solution, tell your professor that you may be on your computer/phone in class for 2-minutes because you need to register for dorms/classes/whatever.

Happens all the time.  Professors don't care.  If the student isn't smart enough/responsible enough to have such foresight they aren't ready for college.

The reality is, the kids want something to complain about.  IF they MISSED CLASS, it is because they wanted to miss class and are now using this as an excuse, and something to get angry about. 

They need to grow up, crap happens, you may be late for work because of a car accident, a light being out, power outage etc.  This is a trivial matter that is being rectified. 

A square is a rectangle get over it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2018, 01:07:56 PM »
If kids had to move schedules, MISS CLASSES, then they aren't responsible enough to be in college.

Simple solution, tell your professor that you may be on your computer/phone in class for 2-minutes because you need to register for dorms/classes/whatever.

Happens all the time.  Professors don't care.  If the student isn't smart enough/responsible enough to have such foresight they aren't ready for college.

The reality is, the kids want something to complain about.  IF they MISSED CLASS, it is because they wanted to miss class and are now using this as an excuse, and something to get angry about. 

They need to grow up, crap happens, you may be late for work because of a car accident, a light being out, power outage etc.  This is a trivial matter that is being rectified. 

i have to disagree here forget-i remember very well, my first semester.  there are A LOT of changes going on.  most don't know there room mates, most don't know exactly where their classes are, getting books, supplies etc.  this is a whole new lifestyle.  it was so very important that i got off to a good start knowing that undergrad was still a stepping stone to where i really wanted to go-dental school.  and i was only 30 minutes from home.  to not know where the hack you're going to have to unpack your chit and lay your head down at night is a pretty big deal
     yes, get over it, but you seem to minimizing it quite a bit.  the transfer talk is probably more "chest puffing" than anything else.  let 'em vent, but they need to be assured things are being taken care of...quickly.  it happens to everyone ain't very comforting to those who are in the middle of it.  A LOT of money being paid to get off to a poor start.  yes, in the end they will look back and write on scoop about it and will be a learning experience, but right now, it sucks 
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2018, 01:28:36 PM »
i have to disagree here forget-i remember very well, my first semester.  there are A LOT of changes going on.  most don't know there room mates, most don't know exactly where their classes are, getting books, supplies etc.  this is a whole new lifestyle.  it was so very important that i got off to a good start knowing that undergrad was still a stepping stone to where i really wanted to go-dental school.  and i was only 30 minutes from home.  to not know where the hack you're going to have to unpack your chit and lay your head down at night is a pretty big deal
     yes, get over it, but you seem to minimizing it quite a bit.  the transfer talk is probably more "chest puffing" than anything else.  let 'em vent, but they need to be assured things are being taken care of...quickly.  it happens to everyone ain't very comforting to those who are in the middle of it.  A LOT of money being paid to get off to a poor start.  yes, in the end they will look back and write on scoop about it and will be a learning experience, but right now, it sucks

Except the subject of this discussion is not about kids in their first semester

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2018, 05:45:15 PM »

The school literally had the selection process done during some class times.  How is a kid, who wants to attend all classes, supposed to get out of that if their scheduled time is during one of the evening classes?  That's the kid's fault?   If your class was from 4:00pm until 5:00pm and your assigned time to register was 4:30pm, that is the student's fault? 

Fortunately the 4th time was the charm and the students were able to register for their dorms and food plans.

What the school should do is send each current student their lottery number position and instead of an assigned time, they have two weeks to choose their 1st, 2nd, 3rd options which they can put in anytime in that two week period.  Then after the deadline they assign based on lottery number. No one misses class, no one has to miss practice or intramurals, or an appointment.  This is so easy it is crazy how hard they have made it. 

— Plato

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2018, 06:00:47 PM »
The school literally had the selection process done during some class times.  How is a kid, who wants to attend all classes, supposed to get out of that if their scheduled time is during one of the evening classes?  That's the kid's fault?   If your class was from 4:00pm until 5:00pm and your assigned time to register was 4:30pm, that is the student's fault? 

Fortunately the 4th time was the charm and the students were able to register for their dorms and food plans.

What the school should do is send each current student their lottery number position and instead of an assigned time, they have two weeks to choose their 1st, 2nd, 3rd options which they can put in anytime in that two week period.  Then after the deadline they assign based on lottery number. No one misses class, no one has to miss practice or intramurals, or an appointment.  This is so easy it is crazy how hard they have made it.

Bad idea.  This isn't Frosh year.  By allowing rising Sophs to select actual rooms in real time, they might know that their buddies are in #504 so then pick #505.  Both my daughter and son (with a roommate in hand) chose specific floors and specific wings because of adjacent friends.  Sophs are much more particular.

You've gotten a bit worked up over this Dad.  They all survived despite the acknowledged cluster.  And if you think this was bad, just wait until your kid lines up at 5p and 'sleeps' in the street next September waiting on Renee Row's opening the following morning!   :o

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »
Bad idea.  This isn't Frosh year.  By allowing rising Sophs to select actual rooms in real time, they might know that their buddies are in #504 so then pick #505.  Both my daughter and son (with a roommate in hand) chose specific floors and specific wings because of adjacent friends.  Sophs are much more particular.

You've gotten a bit worked up over this Dad.  They all survived despite the acknowledged cluster.  And if you think this was bad, just wait until your kid lines up at 5p and 'sleeps' in the street next September waiting on Renee Row's opening the following morning!   :o

I have put multiple kids through college around the country, we never had a problem anywhere.  I love MU as an alumnus, support the school financially and ultimately want it to succeed.  When I see this kind of stuff happen it is an unforced error and reflects poorly on the school.   Where I get worked up is someone here implying it is the kids fault, but it has nothing to do with the kids at all.  The idea that it is a student's fault for wanting to attend class, hear the professor and absorb the material, but that is somehow her fault for having to miss a portion of that class to ensure she has her room fulfilled because it takes place at the same exact time is baffling. You didn't make that statement, but someone in this topic has and baffling is the nicest word I will use.

My other kids, some have gone to state schools others to private schools.  Big and small, but never issues like this.  The idea I proposed is used at other institutions and they have a mechanism in place where our kids were all on the same floor with their buddies.  It isn't that hard. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:57:54 PM by WarriorDad »
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2018, 07:21:30 PM »

Happens all the time.  Professors don't care. 

Read my post next time.  I gave you the solution in the post.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2018, 08:59:56 PM »
Read my post next time.  I gave you the solution in the post.

The professor isn't going to do the class over again for the student.  There is great benefit for the student to be in class.  She isn't worried about the absence, it is the material she is missing first hand. Copying notes is not the same as hearing it directly from the professor. 

Again, how is this the student's fault or all the names you called the students that want to be in class to absorb the material?  Baffling.
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2018, 09:15:09 PM »
The professor isn't going to do the class over again for the student.  There is great benefit for the student to be in class.  She isn't worried about the absence, it is the material she is missing first hand. Copying notes is not the same as hearing it directly from the professor. 

Again, how is this the student's fault or all the names you called the students that want to be in class to absorb the material?  Baffling.

Did you even try to read my post/solution???  I'll try to spell it out for you in more detail.

Student goes to class (note, they are going to class...meaning they are not missing class). 

They inform their professor that because of their lottery time slot, they may be on their computer/phone/tablet, for a minute or 2 during class. 

Student registers for their dorm slot during class.

Professor thinks...this student is responsible and professional for alerting me ahead of time.  They get the dorm they want.  They never miss class.

I've literally had 100's of students do the same type of thing before.  It's not rocket science.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:22:22 PM by forgetful »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2018, 07:51:51 AM »
I have put multiple kids through college around the country, we never had a problem anywhere.  I love MU as an alumnus, support the school financially and ultimately want it to succeed.  When I see this kind of stuff happen it is an unforced error and reflects poorly on the school.   Where I get worked up is someone here implying it is the kids fault, but it has nothing to do with the kids at all.  The idea that it is a student's fault for wanting to attend class, hear the professor and absorb the material, but that is somehow her fault for having to miss a portion of that class to ensure she has her room fulfilled because it takes place at the same exact time is baffling. You didn't make that statement, but someone in this topic has and baffling is the nicest word I will use.

My other kids, some have gone to state schools others to private schools.  Big and small, but never issues like this.  The idea I proposed is used at other institutions and they have a mechanism in place where our kids were all on the same floor with their buddies.  It isn't that hard.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you here.  I know the head of ORL.  He was publicly forthright and apologetic multiple times regarding the situation.  ORL's communication during the fiasco was excellent.  And while frustrated, 99% of folks took it in stride and chalked it up to $hit happens.  I suspect that the IT vendor is at serious risk of losing the contract over this.  But in the middle of the cluster, making any changes was of course impossible.

And like forgetful said, every professor I know would think highly of a student that mentioned that he/she would be on his phone for 5 minutes making a housing selection during class.  Are you kidding?  That's the exact kind of mature handling of a situation they are trying to teach. And for those that didn't mention it, a classic 'look the other way' because there wasn't a soul on campus that didn't know the lay of the land.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2018, 11:05:16 AM »
Did you even try to read my post/solution???  I'll try to spell it out for you in more detail.

I believe you are not understanding what happened, so let me explain.  If things worked properly, then your solution is great.  It is about a 2 to 4 minute process.

Unfortunately, the first go around was endless.  Student went in to do their two minutes, and 20 minutes later they STILL had no resolution.  Second time, same thing.

Third time, same thing.  You couldn't pick your meal plan.  So while the student is only going to be gone for 2 to 4 minutes, but ends up being gone in perpetuity because it could never complete the transaction, that is quite a different story.  But this is the student's fault, right?

Now, let me ask you a question about your proposed solution.  Suppose during that class a test was going on?  What then?  Student can login to their computer or phone in the guise of registering for a dorm?  Or can leave the room while doing so on the honor system? 

MU needs to do better.  Kids, parents, expect the simplest of functionality to work.  Don't put this blame on the students, the school screwed up.
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2018, 11:27:03 AM »
I believe you are not understanding what happened, so let me explain.  If things worked properly, then your solution is great.  It is about a 2 to 4 minute process.

Unfortunately, the first go around was endless.  Student went in to do their two minutes, and 20 minutes later they STILL had no resolution.  Second time, same thing.

Third time, same thing.  You couldn't pick your meal plan.  So while the student is only going to be gone for 2 to 4 minutes, but ends up being gone in perpetuity because it could never complete the transaction, that is quite a different story.  But this is the student's fault, right?

Now, let me ask you a question about your proposed solution.  Suppose during that class a test was going on?  What then?  Student can login to their computer or phone in the guise of registering for a dorm?  Or can leave the room while doing so on the honor system? 

MU needs to do better.  Kids, parents, expect the simplest of functionality to work.  Don't put this blame on the students, the school screwed up.

1.  I never blamed the students for the problem.  You've created that line of reasoning in a "Chico's-esque" type of move.  I criticized the students for their response to the problem.

2.  I never said MU shouldn't work to make sure this doesn't happen again.  I criticized the students for their response to it. 

3.  I provided a simple solution to the problem. You ignored it.  You are now playing the "what if" game.  This isn't a big deal, nor is it a difficult problem to fix.  Students are not "leaving class" to do the enrollment, they would be doing it in class.  If they happened to be in a class where there was an (exam), very rare instance,  and would have been possible regardless of any problems, they could simply call their parents and give them the log in info, and ask them to enroll for them.  Another simple solution.  I can come up with about a dozen simple solutions that do not require missing class.

Even the hypothetical you present of letting a student log in during an exam, has been done in my class.  They let me know ahead of time.  They get my attention during the exam and a TA makes sure that is all they are doing.  Process takes 1-minute tops.  Problem fixed. 

Fire alarms, power outages, etc. (especially during exams) are a far larger inconvenience than any of this.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2018, 12:19:38 PM »
Duke not honoring freshman roommate requests this fall.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/21/602270265/why-duke-university-wont-honor-freshman-roommate-requests-this-fall

On why Duke decided to make this change

We've watched over the last several years that an increasing number of students were preselecting roommates, taking advantage of social media or friends from home, and it began to become a much larger percentage of the class than we would've liked. There was more homogeneity among the students who chose their own roommates, and so we just reached the conclusion that it was antithetical to our aims of broadening students' horizons and, after a lot of consultation, made the decision that students would be best off by using some very simple survey about sleeping habits and things like that ... and going back to the random assignment process.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2018, 12:31:55 PM »
Duke not honoring freshman roommate requests this fall.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/21/602270265/why-duke-university-wont-honor-freshman-roommate-requests-this-fall

On why Duke decided to make this change

We've watched over the last several years that an increasing number of students were preselecting roommates, taking advantage of social media or friends from home, and it began to become a much larger percentage of the class than we would've liked. There was more homogeneity among the students who chose their own roommates, and so we just reached the conclusion that it was antithetical to our aims of broadening students' horizons and, after a lot of consultation, made the decision that students would be best off by using some very simple survey about sleeping habits and things like that ... and going back to the random assignment process.

Didn't read the article but I personally think random is the way to go.  It's a valuable learning opportunity.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »
Didn't read the article but I personally think random is the way to go.  It's a valuable learning opportunity.

I agree.  One of my favorite students despised their freshman year roommate at first.  They were extremely different people, from very different backgrounds. 

By the end of their year, they were inseparable/best friends.  Both would talk about how much they learned from each other and how much better it made them. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2018, 01:12:36 PM »
I agree.  One of my favorite students despised their freshman year roommate at first.  They were extremely different people, from very different backgrounds. 

By the end of their year, they were inseparable/best friends.  Both would talk about how much they learned from each other and how much better it made them.

My son is best friends with his Frosh rando roomie and they couldn't be more different.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2018, 02:13:15 PM »

I'm also a fan of random roommate assignment.  My roommate and I were very different in a lot of ways, but we became great friends and lived together three years.

I was just talking about this yesterday on the way back from a college-visit road trip with my daughter.  She's already hoping that she'll find someone in advance.  I think kids feel a lot of pressure to "pair off" on Facebook and other social media sites to avoid the random assignment.  I think it's unfortunate.  My son met a kid when he was visiting on a weekend, and lived with him.  Started off a little rough, but over all they had a good year and remain good friends (even though the other kid transferred after freshman year).  My daughter got paired with another athlete.  It worked fine, but not great.  They're not living together next year.

I think "random" is a little scary for kids, but over all, I really do think it's a great way to go.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2018, 02:19:53 PM »
  "You've created that line of reasoning in a "Chico's-esque" type of move."

you miss the big guy too, eyn'a?

my random freshman roomie came to school with a knife collection and was forever sharpening them.  he subscribed to mercenary magazines, had an assortment of military style rifles and hand grenades at home(of course).  he was also an amateur locksmith which came in very handy when someone locked themselves out of their room.  and he didn't drink, but consumed about a 12-pak of regular coke per day.  otherwise, i couldn't have picked a better match... ?-(

actually, with all that said, he was a pretty decent guy and even though we didn't really hang together, i didn't have to sleep with one eye open err anything
don't...don't don't don't don't

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2018, 11:17:37 PM »
I'm a huge fan of random roommate assignments freshmen year.  Sometimes it works out great, other times it can be huge pain the butt, but that's how life is.  There will be bosses you hate, bosses you love, employees you hate or love.  Might as well get used to it with roommates, too.

For me, my freshmen roommate and I got along great in college, but falling out since.  My sophomore roommate whom we chose to room with, we continued to room with junior and senior years and life long friends.  Spoke to him again today as he is in Arizona. 

— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2018, 11:11:59 PM »
New tuition letter received.

Marquette increasing to $43,350 next year from $41,290.  4.99% increase

— Plato

Goose

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2018, 01:45:48 AM »
It’s only money, Chico’s.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2018, 07:24:54 AM »
New tuition letter received.

Marquette increasing to $43,350 next year from $41,290.  4.99% increase

What’s the net tuition per student?  (They won’t tell you that.)

feedback