[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: History of #thething  (Read 16418 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

skianth16

• All American
Re: History of #thething
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 04:36:23 PM »
This is great. And now it's getting national attention from guys like Bilas. I love it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 04:40:28 PM »
J Mac just calls it a "rowsey".

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 05:06:38 PM »
Does #TheThing count for 2 point attempts as well or just 3's?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 05:24:18 PM »
Does #TheThing count for 2 point attempts as well or just 3's?

It has to be behind the arc.  Although I have just trademarked #minithing for a 2-point attempt.
Have some patience, FFS.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 07:18:29 PM »
I hate it. It's garbage basketball. Thankfully the NBA has fixed the rule. About a 1/3 of the fouls called are actually created by the defender.  2/3 are simply bad calls, Rowsey jumps into the player. That's not a foul.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 07:20:58 PM »
I hate it. It's garbage basketball. Thankfully the NBA has fixed the rule. About a 1/3 of the fouls called are actually created by the defender.  2/3 are simply bad calls, Rowsey jumps into the player. That's not a foul.

Disagreed. The only time Rowsey jumped into the defender the refs left it as a no call (which should’ve been considered a turnover but was a missed field goal instead). Most of the time the defender jumps forward on the Rowsey pump and Rowsey then jumps into the shot. That’s on the defender.

The NBA fixed the swipe through by an offensive player who isn’t even trying to shoot the ball. They just see the defender with their arm reached out into them, swing their arms sideways, and flop for a foul call. Now at least it’s a side out of bounds.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 07:21:50 PM »

Its a foul every time and thats the reason its called that way.  If he didnt shoot and pivoted n the defender landed on him u dont think that would be a foul either?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 07:39:54 PM »
Its a foul every time and thats the reason its called that way.  If he didnt shoot and pivoted n the defender landed on him u dont think that would be a foul either?

That's my point, defender wouldn't land on him if he pivoted. He steps back, pump fakes and leaps into him. It's garbage basketball, there's a reason NBA players don't do it, they changed the ridiculous swipe through and the "rowsey". You obviously don't watch the NBA, he wouldn't get that call.

Now god bless him for taking advantage of the rule but doesn't mean I have to like it. If he played for Wisconsin you guys would be 100% in agreement.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 07:47:42 PM »
That's my point, defender wouldn't land on him if he pivoted. He steps back, pump fakes and leaps into him. It's garbage basketball, there's a reason NBA players don't do it, they changed the ridiculous swipe through and the "rowsey". You obviously don't watch the NBA, he wouldn't get that call.

Now god bless him for taking advantage of the rule but doesn't mean I have to like it. If he played for Wisconsin you guys would be 100% in agreement.

What about the 3-4 times he's made the shot and multiple other times he's caught rim on it? Granted, it's not every time, but the kid does have a knack for sometimes getting #TheThing in the vicinity of the hoop.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 08:25:54 PM »
What about the 3-4 times he's made the shot and multiple other times he's caught rim on it? Granted, it's not every time, but the kid does have a knack for sometimes getting #TheThing in the vicinity of the hoop.

He almost hit another lefty the other night.  That's my favorite.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 08:55:25 PM »
It has to be behind the arc.  Although I have just trademarked #minithing for a 2-point attempt.

A 3 attempt gets #TheThing

A 2 attempt gets #thething
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 08:56:19 PM »
He needs to teach Markus the thing.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 08:58:34 PM »

Sorry eng.  Now you get tremendous credit for being early in the game last year but this idea don't fly.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 09:08:42 PM »

That's a TwitterFail. Click either of them and both hashtags go to the same place.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 09:12:32 PM »

If the defender jumps vertically and Rowsey makes contact its not a foul. If the defender is also traveling horizontally and Rowsey jumps into him it is a foul in both the NBA and college.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »
That's a TwitterFail. Click either of them and both hashtags go to the same place.

Then I withdraw my position and side with the used on 3pt shots only
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 10:04:25 PM »
Then I withdraw my position and side with the used on 3pt shots only

Glad I don't do twitter.  Scoop is bad enough.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 10:25:46 PM »
SMH at the "garbage basketball" comment.  Rowsey has mastered a skill completely within the rules. Not easy to do, hence why you don't see many other people doing what Rowsey does.  I'll choose to give credit where credit is due.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 09:02:25 AM »
Glad I don't do twitter.  Scoop is bad enough.
You made scoop takes  ;D
Goal is National Championship

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 09:29:05 AM »

I'm closer to your way of thinking on this than it would seem a lot of people are.  I am extremely tired of seeing fouls called on defenders who wouldn't contact the shooter if the shooter didn't lean in after the defender leaves the ground.  I'm not saying it's every time, but it seems to be increasingly frequent.  If the defender leaves his feet and contacts the shooter who is trying to get off a shot, it should be (and is) a foul.  If the defender leaves his feet and contacts the shooter only because the shooter contorts his body and leans in to draw the contact -- sometimes abandoning any semblance of a normal shooting motion -- then it shouldn't be a foul.  Compare the body position and motion of Rowsey when he has a wide-open three with the contortions he goes through when he does the thing.  If he has to contort himself like that to draw the contact, I don't think it should be a foul.

Obviously, mileage may vary.

That said, I'm glad Rowsey is one of ours and don't fault him at all for taking full advantage of the rule as it is called.  I'd just like to see them change how they call the rule.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 09:51:14 AM »
If the defender jumps vertically and Rowsey makes contact its not a foul. If the defender is also traveling horizontally and Rowsey jumps into him it is a foul in both the NBA and college.

Word.

Marquette2022

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 04:31:40 PM »
When Waters tried to do "the thing" you could see the expression on Rowsey's face like "why the hell is this bastard stealing my thing?"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2017, 05:02:48 PM »

sorry man-that's cute, but i gotta go with chick's.  i have to stop there as my next comment would certainly draw the ban hammer from glow :D
don't...don't don't don't don't

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 07:40:04 PM »
Its bullcrap ball, its like you have no other way to score so you take the free throws

feedback