collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Grammar  (Read 6155 times)

IAmMarquette

• All American
Grammar
« on: January 09, 2008, 09:53:51 PM »
pretend like your paralyzed

My paralyzed? I think you mean "you're paralyzed"
Sorry Harveys, pet peeve.

mviale

• All American
Grammar
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:51:43 PM »
a spelling teacher on a blog site.  dude, this is 2008
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

IAmMarquette

• All American
Grammar
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:12:32 PM »

Not so much spelling as proper use of the English language. Just a pet peeve. But thanks for the critique.
And not so much a blog as a message board. But, again, thanks for your $0.02.

mufan924

• Starter
  • we are marquette
Grammar
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:18:41 AM »

Not so much spelling as proper use of the English language. Just a pet peeve. But thanks for the critique.

Seriously? let's discuss your starting a sentence with "But"...or do you go by "modern" grammatical standards?

give me a break.

i hate your vs. you're with the rest of 'em, but come on, take a mental note and don't write about it.

pointless.

thanks for you're two cents as well.
"it's over...it's been over" -George Carlin

IAmMarquette

• All American
Grammar
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:20:44 AM »

Seriously? let's discuss your starting a sentence with "But"...or do you go by "modern" grammatical standards?

give me a break.

i hate your vs. you're with the rest of 'em, but come on, take a mental note and don't write about it.

pointless.

thanks for you're two cents as well.

Whether you're using "modern" or "traditional" standards, your vs. you're still applies.
I can keep this up as long as you want  ;D

muwarrior87

• All American
Grammar
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 10:36:07 AM »
our and are also...just saying, i tend to bite my tongue on this stuff but it is really annoying to read. I mean seriously, the majority of ppl on this board are college grads. you would think our grammar could be better

mufan924

• Starter
  • we are marquette
Grammar
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 11:24:42 AM »
Your not understanding me...i was referring to beginning a sentence with "but"
"it's over...it's been over" -George Carlin

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: Grammar
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 12:10:47 PM »
our and are also...just saying, i tend to bite my tongue on this stuff but it is really annoying to read. I mean seriously, the majority of ppl on this board are college grads. you would think our grammar could be better

This is exactly my point. Most of us are college grads or Marquette students. I think we should all know the difference between conjunctions and possessives. I wasn't trying to spark a debate on grammar/spelling/punctuation, but simply pointing out a pet peeve. If it doesn't bother you, don't comment on it. It bothers me. Most of the time I let it slide. Once in a while, however, I can't help but point it out.

It's funny that the person whose post I initially critiqued didn't feel the need to make a comment while others did.

I apologize for sparking the hijacking of this thread, and I hope this is grammatically correct enough to satisfy everyone involved.

DonCornholeone

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »
I guarantee you that 99.9% of the people that use "your" instead of "you're" in a post on this board know the difference.  So you've never punched out a quick post and made the same mistake (even if you went back and corrected it)?  Everybody does it.  It's a message board, not a freaking dissertation.  Commenting on it makes you look like more of a jackass than the person who made the "error".  And me commenting on your comment makes me an even bigger jackass than either of you.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 12:52:40 PM »
I guarantee you that 99.9% of the people that use "your" instead of "you're" in a post on this board know the difference.  So you've never punched out a quick post and made the same mistake (even if you went back and corrected it)?  Everybody does it.  It's a message board, not a freaking dissertation.  Commenting on it makes you look like more of a jackass than the person who made the "error".  And me commenting on your comment makes me an even bigger jackass than either of you.

I agree with you. It still annoys me. If it makes me a jackass, so be it.

benfrankly

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 12:59:29 PM »
if your going to take time out of your day each time someone screws up tense, misuses or misspells a word on this site (or the other mu board, or, virtually any other forum on the internet that you may read)... well, you're not going to have time for much else.

this thread, however, isn't quite as bad as the person that posted in the last month or so (maybe it was on the other board, but i'm pretty sure i read it here...) that "hates" the phrase "i could care less." i felt compelled to tell him that the phrase is perfectly fine as its generally said sarcastically -- i could care less... really, believe me. complaints about conveying sarcasm on the internet notwithstanding, the spirit of the phrase should be understood from its colloquial usage when spoken.

here are some others that are painful to read, but don't need to be commented on each time you see them: seperate/separate, using "then" for a comparison, affect/effect and let's not get started on the text-speak (u know??).

benfrankly

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 01:02:13 PM »
i missed an apostrophe, too. find it and jump on me!

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 01:12:51 PM »
I don't point out every spelling/grammar/punctuation mistake. The you're/your thing just bugs me. I stated as much in my original post. Doesn't bother you? Good. Don't point it out, and don't contribute to the thread.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 01:45:49 PM »

I agree, but people are typing quickly and not really paying attention to that stuff. I'll admit, thought, that I've been embarassed a couple of times to think that MU grads are writing some of this stuff.

PS: While we're (not were) on the subject "its" is the possessive and "it's" is the conjunction for "it is" and "they're", "there" and "their" all have different meanings. 
We Are Marquette

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
For the record, it is not grammatically improper to start a sentence with a conjunction such as "but." While it is generally not considered acceptable in "professional" writing, there is no definitive rule prohibiting it. In fact, in Merriam-Webster's dictionary, you will find a conjunction defined as "an uninflected linguistic form that joins together sentences, clauses, phrases, or words." (Emphasis added).

P.S. I also find that the grammar on these boards tends to be atrocious. It ain't even funny how bad the grammer be up in this joint, yo!