collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another shooting  (Read 22451 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Another shooting
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:31:50 PM »
California elementary school.

I'd say "thoughts and prayers" are in order, but I think we've tried that after the last few shootings and it doesn't appear to have had much of an effect
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:35:11 PM by jesmu84 »

tower912

• All American
Re: Another shooting
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:38:49 PM »
Unlikely this is going to be the one to actually create change.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:05:00 PM »
Unlikely this is going to be the one to actually create change.   

We're going to need to get to at least 150-200 dead from one guy before that's not true.

Who am I kidding .. 250, at least.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:42:07 PM »
Could have done just as much damage with a knife or a ball-peen hammer or a Duncan yo-yo.

That'll be the stance of the NRA. And, of course, Banny.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 05:34:45 AM »
California elementary school.

I'd say "thoughts and prayers" are in order, but I think we've tried that after the last few shootings and it doesn't appear to have had much of an effect

thoughts and prayers are always appropriate if you are sincere.  if one believes that it is their own "thoughts and prayers" or in combination with others is going to absolutely stop everything bad from happening, they should find another outlet.  "thoughts and prayers" is not only an appropriate response to a tragic development, but it should be a unifying message, again, if they truly believe. 

today, the  "thoughts and prayers phrase seems to be taking on a more political tone and some are using it as a way to protest something.  it's like the 2 year old not getting what he wants from santa claus, so he says "F" the man cuz he never comes thru.

thoughts and prayers are (in my mind) a prayer for those involved to have peace and strength to help them get through the "ordeal".  prayers aren't like morse code being sent to God's command and control. all the incoming "thoughts and prayers" don't go thru God and then He decides which ones to honor or not.  this ain't a sigfried and roy show going on here.   believers are meant to be God personified here on earth.  it is through our thoughts and actions onto our fellow man that God wishes for us to carry out-"thy will" /His will, not ours.   

now just because things may or may not work out to the betterment for all every time, do we just chit-can the phrase or for those who truly mean it?  the thoughts?  or is it for some, their way to take a passive/aggressively position.  if the latter is the case, then i believe they are missing the point.  we can review many many instances of tragedy or atrocies that have occurred time after time after...  yet continue to occur-terrorism of any kind, vehicle accidents, drug over doses, crime in general...do we abandon our thoughts and prayers because people in syria or north korea continue to get slaughtered?  not me.  it's just one way we can keep our spirituality alive, wishing/praying for those involved to be strong and maybe even seek out peace through the Lord.  one can never go wrong with a few thoughts and prayers throughout the day
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 05:41:47 AM »
In before the lock.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:11:22 AM »
James 2:17

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »
thoughts and prayers are always appropriate if you are sincere.  if one believes that it is their own "thoughts and prayers" or in combination with others is going to absolutely stop everything bad from happening, they should find another outlet.  "thoughts and prayers" is not only an appropriate response to a tragic development, but it should be a unifying message, again, if they truly believe. 

today, the  "thoughts and prayers phrase seems to be taking on a more political tone and some are using it as a way to protest something.  it's like the 2 year old not getting what he wants from santa claus, so he says "F" the man cuz he never comes thru.

thoughts and prayers are (in my mind) a prayer for those involved to have peace and strength to help them get through the "ordeal".  prayers aren't like morse code being sent to God's command and control. all the incoming "thoughts and prayers" don't go thru God and then He decides which ones to honor or not.  this ain't a sigfried and roy show going on here.   believers are meant to be God personified here on earth.  it is through our thoughts and actions onto our fellow man that God wishes for us to carry out-"thy will" /His will, not ours.   

now just because things may or may not work out to the betterment for all every time, do we just chit-can the phrase or for those who truly mean it?  the thoughts?  or is it for some, their way to take a passive/aggressively position.  if the latter is the case, then i believe they are missing the point.  we can review many many instances of tragedy or atrocies that have occurred time after time after...  yet continue to occur-terrorism of any kind, vehicle accidents, drug over doses, crime in general...do we abandon our thoughts and prayers because people in syria or north korea continue to get slaughtered?  not me.  it's just one way we can keep our spirituality alive, wishing/praying for those involved to be strong and maybe even seek out peace through the Lord.  one can never go wrong with a few thoughts and prayers throughout the day

Do you get why some may be a little tired of politicians sending thoughts and prayers but never taking any substantive actions that may prevent some of these deaths?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 09:28:28 AM »
If he was not out on bail this would have never happened.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 09:50:45 AM »
Do you get why some may be a little tired of politicians sending thoughts and prayers but never taking any substantive actions that may prevent some of these deaths?

That's what happens when you are financially beholden to a domestic terrorism organization.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 10:04:33 AM »
If there were a mystery virus killing 5+ people at the same frequency, with local/federal governments refused to acknowledge there was an issue and/or refuse to do anything to help, the citizens would either force them to act or find a solution (and almost every aspect of our lives would immediately change).**

It's been said here before....we either don't care about the deaths/don't want change or are not angry enough to force change. 

**not my original analogy but i can't remember where it was from

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 10:05:16 AM »
If there were a mystery virus killing 5+ people at the same frequency, with local/federal governments refused to acknowledge there was an issue and/or refuse to do anything to help, the citizens would either force them to act or find a solution (and almost every aspect of our lives would immediately change).**

It's been said here before....we either don't care about the deaths/don't want change or are not angry enough to force change. 

Not to mention if we didn't allow the CDC or NIH to study the virus

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »

yes, but i was trying to leave politics out of it and focus just on why "thoughts and prayers" is always appropriate if one sincerely means it and tries to live them.  i am a firm believer in prayer.  if one has to tell everyone, they aren't going to say that anymore and those who do are phonies or whatever, that is not in their place to state that as they do not know what is in their heart(s).  i understand the point-then why aren't they doing anything, etc etc-that is still not a reason for anyone else to judge another person on.  it is a separate issue 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 11:08:24 AM »
yes, but i was trying to leave politics out of it and focus just on why "thoughts and prayers" is always appropriate if one sincerely means it and tries to live them.  i am a firm believer in prayer.  if one has to tell everyone, they aren't going to say that anymore and those who do are phonies or whatever, that is not in their place to state that as they do not know what is in their heart(s).  i understand the point-then why aren't they doing anything, etc etc-that is still not a reason for anyone else to judge another person on.  it is a separate issue

I don't think most people have an issue with most sending thoughts and prayers when something like this happens, whether it be just the general public, entertainers, etc. 

But at this point when it comes via Twitter from those in politics that refuse to do anything at all about these issues it feels completely disingenuous.   

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »
James 2:17

Another of my favorite bible verses
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 11:30:59 AM »

This did happen. In the 80s with AIDS. Reagan refused to acknowledge it or even mention the name - until someone he knew died.

It was only when the gay community and Libs got out into the streets that anything was done.

We need mass demonstrations weekly throughout the country. We need Lib candidates making gun control their #1 concern.

Despite the NRAs delight, most people favor something being done.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 11:49:24 AM »
I don't think most people have an issue with most sending thoughts and prayers when something like this happens, whether it be just the general public, entertainers, etc.

Count me in the minority that finds sending thoughts and prayers to be offensive. Anyone that thinks prayer works to stop mass shootings, newsflash, they are still happening on a weekly basis, so your thoughts and prayers aren't doing anything. And anyone that sends thoughts and prayers without taking action to implement change it just a hypocrite.

Anyone that professes to live their faith understands that God helps those that help themselves. Thoughts and prayers without conscious follow-through is just a hollow excuse for inaction.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 12:45:12 PM »
Do Something  Do Anything

Yeah, that always works.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 12:51:27 PM »

Yeah, that always works.

Good call.   Do nothing but pray is going gangbusters right now. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 12:55:32 PM »

Yeah, that always works.

It has a far higher rate of success than doing nothing.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 01:10:37 PM »
Count me in the minority that finds sending thoughts and prayers to be offensive. Anyone that thinks prayer works to stop mass shootings, newsflash, they are still happening on a weekly basis, so your thoughts and prayers aren't doing anything. And anyone that sends thoughts and prayers without taking action to implement change it just a hypocrite.

Anyone that professes to live their faith understands that God helps those that help themselves. Thoughts and prayers without conscious follow-through is just a hollow excuse for inaction.

ok, but what are they supposed to say?  sucks for them?

yes it is a platitude, but we don't know everything that goes on in conversations in washington.  yes, i realize they are always very quick to tell you everything you want to hear.  but if the pols don't say anything, then they get criticized for that too.  unless someone can come up with another appropriate phrase, it's better than ahhh, blah blah blah blah, umm, what? 

many of them are trying to do something, but at the same time they are walking a fine line between their "puppet masters" and the 2nd amendment.  yes, politics suck.  the reason i believe it's got even sucky'er is all about $$$=power

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 01:40:33 PM »
Say nothing unless you have something worthwhile to say.

Hiding behind "thoughts and prayers" is cowardly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 01:50:43 PM »
Say nothing unless you have something worthwhile to say.

Hiding behind "thoughts and prayers" is cowardly.

easy for you to say.  if this were about anything else, this wouldn't be an issue.  tragic car accident?  would it be ok to say thoughts and prayers?  or because one isn't "doing anything" to stop them, it's hypocritical?   when an acquaintance passes on, i always try to avoid saying "thoughts and prayers" because it does sound recycled and/or disingenuous, kind of like "at the end of the day, etc etc

today-everything is under a microscope.  if it's sunny, it's not sunny enough. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »

Completely agree. "Thought & prayers" is a handy excuse to make it seem like one cares while doing nothing to remedy the problem.

Caring requires action.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 03:16:13 PM »
I think sending thoughts and prayers is perfectly acceptable.

I think only sending thoughts and prayers when you have the power and privilege to help make meaningful change to ensure that less thoughts and prayers are needed in the future is unacceptable.

Check the signature. This is one of those topics where we need a little more courage and wisdom and a little less serenity.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback