[June 10, 2024, 10:30:14 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lindenwood take-aways  (Read 18429 times)

skianth16

• All American
Lindenwood take-aways
« on: November 04, 2017, 03:04:28 PM »
1. We're still a bad defensive team. Way too many open looks, not fighting enough for rebounds, too many bad fouls
2. We're still going to live and die by the 3. We have good shooters but a pretty limited  post game
3. Sam Hauser is gonna be good, but only in the right lineups. If he has to play down low a lot, his upside will be limited
4. Markus Howard will be be very good, period. (as long as he's patient with his game)
5. Contributions from freshmen will be limited. Elliott looks comfortable at times but still seems a bit skiddish. Others will need to pick it up.
6. Cheatham shoots this year! Good to see him back to his old self.

Kinda negative overall, but this was not a great showing today. Makes me a little worried about the Maui tournament, TBH.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
Re: Lindenwood take-aways
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 03:11:20 PM »
Rowsey might be the most important player on the team

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 03:12:26 PM »
Nobody got more hurt than they were coming into the game.

Markus isn’t a point guard.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 03:14:40 PM »
  • Most teams wouldn't shoot in an empty gym as well as Lindenwood did in the first half. That said, close-outs need to be better. How many times can you give up the wide-open corner three before realizing you need someone defending that?
  • Cheatham can go to his right, but can only finish with his left. I guess progress is progress.
  • When the shots weren't falling, Anim, Cheatham, and Elliott all showed they could step up.
  • Markus is not a point guard. He was absolutely terrible with the ball in his hands. How many times did he recognize the double too late and turn it over? By the end of the game, Cheatham and Elliott were bringing it up because Markus was a turnover machine. Based on today, we may need to start the #M2NBAGL hashtag instead.
  • Heldt had a few nice moves in the low post. Nothing fancy, but efficient. I think he can be better offensively than many suspect.
  • Teams with multiple shooters will give us problems, especially early before the frosh get acclimated and Froling is eligible. Lack of size on the perimeter hurts. Purdue looks like an even worse matchup early after this.
  • Really liked Anim today. He probably made the most positive contributions.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
So.... time to start recruiting a 2018 PG in earnest?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 03:37:16 PM »
Did John/Eke play at all?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 03:38:49 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »
Any box score?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »

WindyCityGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 03:51:52 PM »
Didn't watch but heard we often went ultra small with Sam at the 5 to deal with their 0 in, 5 out offense. Exhibition or not, allowing a d2 team to dictate style of play is less than ideal.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »
Didn't watch but heard we often went ultra small with Sam at the 5 to deal with their 0 in, 5 out offense. Exhibition or not, allowing a d2 team to dictate style of play is less than ideal.

We were without Rowsey and (pretty much) Theo, one who will definitely start and the other who I personally think will get the most minutes of any player on the team at the 5.

Let’s keep in mind that Syracuse lost an exhibition game to a D2 school in 2009 and ended up with a 1 seed and in the 2010 Final Four.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WindyCityGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 04:02:39 PM »
We were without Rowsey and (pretty much) Theo, one who will definitely start and the other who I personally think will get the most minutes of any player on the team at the 5.

Let’s keep in mind that Syracuse lost an exhibition game to a D2 school in 2009 and ended up with a 1 seed and in the 2010 Final Four.

Agree with everything you say here. I don't look too much into exhibitions or secret scrimmages. But to let a d2 team dictate style of play (even if we're short on personnel) is not something that should happen, even in an exhibition game.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »
We played primarily zone for the first 25 minutes. Lindenwood scored 54 points.

We played primarily man to man the last 15 minutes. Lindenwood scored 25 points the rest of the game and we forced a lot of turnovers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 04:08:18 PM »
We played primarily zone for the first 25 minutes. Lindenwood scored 54 points.

We played primarily man to man the last 15 minutes. Lindenwood scored 25 points the rest of the game and we forced a lot of turnovers.

Huh? I don’t think we played a single possession of zone?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 04:10:17 PM »
Huh? I don’t think we played a single possession of zone?

It was more of a hybrid but it was a lot of zone at the top. It wasn't a typical 2-3 but it wasn't our base man to man either.

I was also drinking so maybe my viewing was a little distorted. But it looked like zone from where I was sitting.

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 04:13:10 PM »
UWM shoots 48%, Lindenwood 56% not a good trend. I don't see any change from last year at all.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 04:14:01 PM »
Horrid defense, bad rototations, beat off the ball.  What has the team been practicing?

I hope Howard was hung over.

Lindenwood well coached.  Great exhibition opponent.

Rowsey will play a lot of minutes at PG. You can see why we were recruiting Grimes.

I suspect there will be sprints later tonight.

Haani and Anim studs of game.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:22:59 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 04:18:46 PM »
Wojo should apologize to everybody for that last inbounds play with 1 second left. Throw done to the oppisite free throw line, good grief.

Mu didn't play zone, they rotated with help defense and Lundenwood made the extra pass and made 10 3's in the 1st half.

Defense much much better in the second half. MU should never set a pick out top for Markus, he is a TO machine if the other team doubles him.

Staff MUST find a point for 2018. Mission critical

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 04:23:18 PM »
Wojo should apologize to everybody for that last inbounds play with 1 second left. Throw done to the oppisite free throw line, good grief.

100% agree. A 3/4 court pass ends the game, regardless of who recovers it. There should have been at least one player beyond half court on that inbound.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 04:26:19 PM »
I wonder if sometimes Wojo overthinks some of the easy stuff, you know, like an inbound play with 1 second left. All he needed to tell the guys was to make sure the ball gets past half court. That's it. How did we screw that one up?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 04:27:26 PM »
Sam had a nice game, but why did he not just toss the in bound pass down court with only 1 second to go.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 05:11:22 PM »
It is one game.  Theo is injured.  MU was playing without  Rowsey.  But there aren't a lot of positives.  It appears that our freshmen are not going to be instant impact players.  No disgrace in that.  It is rare that freshman outside the top 100 provide instant production.  Must keep expectations realistic.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 05:21:20 PM »

Mu didn't play zone, they rotated with help defense and Lundenwood made the extra pass and made 10 3's in the 1st half.

Defense much much better in the second half. MU should never set a pick out top for Markus, he is a TO machine if the other team doubles him.

Staff MUST find a point for 2018. Mission critical

Artie Green baby.

Markus played his worst game in college.

Here's what I hope.  I know that coaches have limited time with the kids.  I hope Rowsey walked in the locker room after the game and said, 'Nobody shower.  Get your arse on the bus now.  We're heading to Kasten so cancel whatever evening plans you have.'

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 05:29:07 PM »
My takeaways:

We didn't lose. 

We learned a lot about areas we need to improve. 

win-win.

burger

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 06:06:36 PM »
Did not see a second.....

But with these comments.....

We lose to Purdue.....

And bet the house that Vermont kicks our bütt too.....

This is exactly how they play.....and they are not a middle of the road D3 team......