[Today at 03:28:57 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by Jay Bee
[Today at 03:22:56 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 02:58:47 PM]

And The New...... by 94Warrior
[Today at 12:16:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lindenwood take-aways  (Read 18427 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Lindenwood take-aways
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2017, 05:24:52 AM »
I think we were lucky yesterday, because Lindenwood was so hot. Had they had an off shooting night, we would be thinking our defense was good. Now the coaches can really hammer down on this.

We were so terrible defensively last year with much of the same players.  If they need a crummy performance against a d2 to convince the players they need to play d - it will be a long year.  I am sure next week will be better. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2017, 05:36:39 AM »
A good first game opponent (even if only an exhibition).  Goes to show you that very good former HS players with very good coaching having an exceptionally good game can give a team with superior talent a run for their money especially at the beginning of the season before assignments and weak spots are worked on.  Relax, a lot of new players with learning to obtain and experience to gain.  Good things on the horizon.  Do we the fans have the patience?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2017, 07:20:29 AM »
One of the things that really bothered Markus on the offensive end was ball pressure.  He'd look for the screen at the top of the key and instead of switching it or fighting over the screen on D Lindenwood would immediately aggressively double.  Markus had no handle for that.  Multiple turnovers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2017, 07:35:59 AM »
In 2012-13, Miami lost an exhibition game to St. Leo's, coached by the same guy who now coaches Lindenwood. Miami went on to win the ACC regular season and tournament.  Eventually they lost in the S16 to some school from Milwaukee.  In other words, don't read too much into the result.

I guess I don't know what people expected.  They were a poor defensive team last year.  Playing largely the same players, they were poor yesterday.  Get John healthy, and get Froling eligible, and there will be improvement.  But really the key is the other personnel getting experience and Morrow joining next year.

I expect a lot of games like last year. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2017, 07:54:25 AM »
One of the things that crossed my mind was that Wojo should have offered the Lindenwood coach a job literally in the handshake line.  Those boys were prepared.  Now admittedly I suspect that we didn't game-plan for them.  But our adjustment to their having aggressively game-planned for us was mediocre at best.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2017, 09:24:14 AM »
In 2012-13, Miami lost an exhibition game to St. Leo's, coached by the same guy who now coaches Lindenwood. Miami went on to win the ACC regular season and tournament.  Eventually they lost in the S16 to some school from Milwaukee.  In other words, don't read too much into the result.

I guess I don't know what people expected.  They were a poor defensive team last year.  Playing largely the same players, they were poor yesterday.  Get John healthy, and get Froling eligible, and there will be improvement.  But really the key is the other personnel getting experience and Morrow joining next year.

I expect a lot of games like last year.

Even with many of the same players, shouldn't the defense improve from year-to-year?

I know someone who was at all the practices last year and the problems on defense that were evident on day one were the same during the final practice.  Wojo truly believed it was a lack of effort that caused the problems.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2017, 09:28:31 AM »
Even with many of the same players, shouldn't the defense improve from year-to-year?

Why?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2017, 09:35:34 AM »
A few more observations...

STH stopped by to pick-up his award on the way to his wedding...with his groomsmen.

Many Scoopers are repopulating based on the pictures submitted during the game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2017, 10:56:39 AM »
Why?

Experience in the system coupled with the reports that they spent the entire off-season working on defense seem to be indicators that we could reasonably expect improvement.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2017, 11:17:06 AM »

I know someone who was at all the practices last year and the problems on defense that were evident on day one were the same during the final practice.  Wojo truly believed it was a lack of effort that caused the problems.

I hope he is right. If not it is going to be a long season.

burger

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2017, 11:17:16 AM »
Also did not see a second.....

And I don't know a thing about the opponent (or how to use ellipses).....

And we were missing a starter and another key player.....

But bet the house that Vermont kicks our butt.....

As will every other team on our schedule.....

Yes, hard to believe we will go 0-31.....

But it's true. It's already set in stone.....

That's not an opinion at all, it's a fact.....

Fire Wojo today.

I think we makes the NCAA's if we get things straightened out......But Vermont will be a very tough win for us given what we do poorly on defense....They do incredibly well.....

I think they were 24-0 in league last year.....Sure a Kentucky or Big 10 school can lay the wood to them.....We certainly can't.....

Very efficient.....Take care of the ball.....will present a myriad of problems given our sub 300 defensive prowess.....

Talk to you guys after the game.....For the "told you so".....One way or the other.....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2017, 11:40:33 AM »
I think we makes the NCAA's if we get things straightened out......But Vermont will be a very tough win for us given what we do poorly on defense....They do incredibly well.....

I think they were 24-0 in league last year.....Sure a Kentucky or Big 10 school can lay the wood to them.....We certainly can't.....

Very efficient.....Take care of the ball.....will present a myriad of problems given our sub 300 defensive prowess.....

Talk to you guys after the game.....For the "told you so".....One way or the other.....

Again, I will take you up on a Vermont bet...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2017, 11:56:33 AM »
Is Lindenwood a "very very good d2"? Are they even a good D2? I thought I saw a graphic that had them one game over .500 last year. Maybe I misread it.

Butler squeaked by a D2 school today. Back in 2009, Syracuse lost to D2 Le Moyne, then won the Big East with a 15-3 conference record, a #1 ranking along the way, and a Sweet 16 appearance.

This isn't the end, but it certainly isn't an auspicious beginning. The entire game long, it felt like if we just strung a few stops and shots together, we'd be able to run away and get a comfortable 10-point win. But it never came. We'd string a few stops and shots, then they'd come right back, either rebuilding the lead or later keeping it close. The final shot just as easily could have fallen as bounced out.

I'm left hoping that Rowsey is the key to this team, but while Markus is a great shooting guard, I'm worried about him as a point guard. I think AR will need to play 35+ a night if this is the point play we see from Markus. And not just the defense or the shooting. Markus struggled to initiate offense for others. He turned it over far too often. He was credited with 5 turnovers and that feels like it wasn't enough. I can clearly remember 4 times he turned it over in a double-team trap, and I'm sure they doubled him like that more than 4 times. Picked up the dribble too early, saw the double too late, he looked like an 18-year-old freshman out there.

My brother said that Lindenwood was #2 when they played them last year

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »

I'm left hoping that Rowsey is the key to this team, but while Markus is a great shooting guard, I'm worried about him as a point guard. I think AR will need to play 35+ a night if this is the point play we see from Markus. And not just the defense or the shooting. Markus struggled to initiate offense for others. He turned it over far too often. He was credited with 5 turnovers and that feels like it wasn't enough. I can clearly remember 4 times he turned it over in a double-team trap, and I'm sure they doubled him like that more than 4 times. Picked up the dribble too early, saw the double too late, he looked like an 18-year-old freshman out there.

Word.  I was longing some Traci as the game went along.

Look, Markus is a wonderful player and a great kid.  But he was ill suited for that role, at least for yesterday, and it was obvious to all 500 of us in the arena.  (I jest.  The students actually came out wonderfully for an exhibition nearly filling the lower bowl corner in all areas except directly behind the band.  Kudos kids.)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2017, 12:20:30 PM »
Word.  I was longing some Traci as the game went along.

I was just discussing this the other day. I think Traci would've carved out 15-20 minutes for himself last year. This year, I think he would play a significant role similar to how Duane did. Maybe he never would've been the star, but he could've been a huge contributor here. And defensively, he would improve us.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2017, 12:22:46 PM »
I was just discussing this the other day. I think Traci would've carved out 15-20 minutes for himself last year. This year, I think he would play a significant role similar to how Duane did. Maybe he never would've been the star, but he could've been a huge contributor here. And defensively, he would improve us.

And how 'bout those effing beer prices brew?  Crime.  But I needed to drink.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »

I was at work yesterday...off for every other gameday the rest of the calendar year. Though 2018 starts with 8 straight games on days I work  :-[

I have a feeling any price hikes this year will be bracing us for next year. Just talked to Joe True the other day and he said they're finalizing prices. I'm guessing we'll see something to get an idea of what it looks like before too long.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »

$9.50, ai-na? Will be spending more time at Turners pre-gaming it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »
I was at work yesterday...off for every other gameday the rest of the calendar year. Though 2018 starts with 8 straight games on days I work  :-[

I have a feeling any price hikes this year will be bracing us for next year. Just talked to Joe True the other day and he said they're finalizing prices. I'm guessing we'll see something to get an idea of what it looks like before too long.

In all fairness this wasn't an MU thing but we sure as hell noticed, both for all menu items in the Club and a nice craft up on our upper deck corner.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »
Ike didn't play which means he is probably redshirting or he is hurt

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2017, 03:24:25 PM »
Also, what I saw from the game is that we are going to be a fun team to watch when the team is clicking but if our defense can't hold teams under 80 its going to be rough. Up and down season

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2017, 04:28:57 PM »

Was hoping they would go the way of Atlanta =(

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2017, 04:55:54 PM »
Was hoping they would go the way of Atlanta =(

With these owners? No chance in hell. These guys will squeeze every single penny out of everything they can.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2017, 05:29:49 PM »
Ike didn't play which means he is probably redshirting or he is hurt

Or that the game was always close so we needed to play our best players.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

burger

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2017, 06:56:48 PM »
How is security.....

BYOB?????

$40 is pretty steep considering the average MU intake.....

feedback