collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ESPN Get Worse  (Read 24073 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: ESPN Get Worse
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 11:10:27 PM »
China considers three-year jail terms for disrespecting national anthem, flag
OCTOBER 30, 2017 / 9:22 PM / 2 DAYS AGO
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-law-anthem/china-considers-three-year-jail-terms-for-disrespecting-national-anthem-flag-idUSKBN1D0075

China passed a new law in September mandating up to 15 days in police detention for those who mock the “March of the Volunteers” national anthem, a law that also covers the Chinese territories of Hong Kong and Macau.

Parliament is now looking at whether to amend China’s Criminal Law to include criminal penalties for disrespect of the national anthem, including intentionally distorting the lyrics or tune, Xinhua said.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 11:19:05 PM »
Darren Rovell is the Sports Business Reporter for ESPN

@darrenrovell
Papa John’s says it has been pulling advertising associated with the NFL. The league, it says, has given some future spots in return.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 11:40:43 PM »

Netflix is more responsible than any other single factor.

That made me laugh. 

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 11:43:12 PM »
Papa John is a douche nozzle and his pizza is crapty.

MAYBE that's the problem.

This is the season people found this out? 

It's pure coincidence that ratings are tanking, sponsors are being hit, CBS and FOX stocks warned of under performance, NFL related merchandise and subscriptions down all in the same year.  The next thing someone will say they are not eating pizza because of the founder's politics. Of course that founder used to be one of those underdog guys that started the franchise in a broom closet. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 12:14:55 AM »
That made me laugh.

True, though.

I meant the availability of all of the streaming channels, but used Netflix as an example as they were the first mainstream one to make a dent.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 07:13:23 AM »

It's pure coincidence that ratings are tanking, sponsors are being hit, CBS and FOX stocks warned of under performance, NFL related merchandise and subscriptions down all in the same year.  The next thing someone will say they are not eating pizza because of the founder's politics. Of course that founder used to be one of those underdog guys that started the franchise in a broom closet.

All very fair points.  I think that injuries, suspensions, and CTE problems are probably more to blame than the National Anthem issue.

Personally, now that Rodgers is out, I have a much smaller interest in football.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »

Please cease with points that are cogent and logical. People aren't interested in the truth when it conflicts with their politics/biases.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 08:13:39 AM »
Please cease with points that are cogent and logical. People aren't interested in the truth when it conflicts with their politics/biases.

I don't think it is illogical to assume that ratings are down for a multitude of reasons.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 08:35:09 AM »
I don't think it is illogical to assume that ratings are down for a multitude of reasons.

OK, but let's at least be honest. Injuries? There are injuries every year. Fans who don't watch because their "fave" is hurt (like Hards) are anomalies. Netflix and other "choices"? You can watch those shows/movies anytime. People aren't giving up watching live sports for that. CTE? I'll grant this has some effect, but it's not exactly a new issue. The new, big issue fans have with the NFL is on the job political protests by its players. Whether you agree  with the majority of NFL fans or the players involved in the protests is beside the point - they are the biggest (by miles) reason for fan dissatisfaction with the NFL.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 08:56:30 AM »
OK, but let's at least be honest. Injuries? There are injuries every year. Fans who don't watch because their "fave" is hurt (like Hards) are anomalies. Netflix and other "choices"? You can watch those shows/movies anytime. People aren't giving up watching live sports for that. CTE? I'll grant this has some effect, but it's not exactly a new issue. The new, big issue fans have with the NFL is on the job political protests by its players. Whether you agree  with the majority of NFL fans or the players involved in the protests is beside the point - they are the biggest (by miles) reason for fan dissatisfaction with the NFL.

Meh.  Ratings have been declining for years.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 09:05:23 AM »

I think they are down mostly because the product is mediocre.  And ratings are down most everywhere so there are macro events at play. 

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 09:42:07 AM »
I should add that I actually hope these player protests are screwing with the owners bottom line.  They've treated the players like trash since the last CBA, have pretty much black-listed a player because he is standing up for what he believes in, and now the old, white men are suffering for it.  That is like my wet dream.

But unfortunately that is only part of the reason for the decline in ratings.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 09:42:28 AM »

Another chicos name?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2017, 09:44:24 AM »
Ok, back to the original topic at hand-ESPN is struggling to say the least.  The numbers are the numbers.  That being said, if you were to be hired as the new CEO of espn to bring it back, what would you do? 

I expect to see some tongue in cheek responses and maybe even some real fixes that may roll some eyes, but here’s what I would do-

go back to what made it great:
         I vaguely remember when ESPN first came out, but all I know is that whether part of it had to do with my age at the time, But i was a big sports geek and they did SPORTS. 

Reduce the subscription fee

Get rid of the politics

It’s weird that as many companies start up, they become successful within themselves.  They start doing well, grow, become a player and then like a drug, politics comes in and they play their audience like a bunch of suckers.  The drug reference?  How does politics within any business make it any better than it was starting out?  If that were the case, hell, just start out political and then mix your business into that? 

Business 101-do not entertain sex, religion and politics mix into business, unless you want to divide and limit your business along those genres. 

Stay with what you know.  I’ve noticed some dental offices offering all kinds of extra “WOW” factors.  Massage chairs, foot massages, coffee, cookies(healthy, non sugar of course) popcorn, video games, hot towels and many more.  Get a bad massage or cup of coffee, I’m not going back...wait, I went their for a cleaning and a filling and the smell of popcorn in a dental office didn’t agree with me and my son is allergic to peanuts-you didn’t use peanut oil to make the popcorn did you?  But is it gluten free?  No ma’am but it is antibiotic free black angus, and on and on-

Do what you do well AND keep doing it well.  All the other stuff is just noise
don't...don't don't don't don't

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2017, 09:48:21 AM »
Meh.  Ratings have been declining for years.

Ratings peaked in 2013. 2014 and 2015 showed moderate dips. In 2016 (Kaps 1st protest year, the pig/cop socks, etc.) they fell hard. As many joined the protests in 2017 the ratings continue to fall hard. Occam's Razor.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
Ok, back to the original topic at hand-ESPN is struggling to say the least.  The numbers are the numbers.  That being said, if you were to be hired as the new CEO of espn to bring it back, what would you do? 

I expect to see some tongue in cheek responses and maybe even some real fixes that may roll some eyes, but here’s what I would do-

go back to what made it great:
         I vaguely remember when ESPN first came out, but all I know is that whether part of it had to do with my age at the time, But i was a big sports geek and they did SPORTS. 

Reduce the subscription fee

Get rid of the politics

It’s weird that as many companies start up, they become successful within themselves.  They start doing well, grow, become a player and then like a drug, politics comes in and they play their audience like a bunch of suckers.  The drug reference?  How does politics within any business make it any better than it was starting out?  If that were the case, hell, just start out political and then mix your business into that? 

Business 101-do not entertain sex, religion and politics mix into business, unless you want to divide and limit your business along those genres. 

Stay with what you know.  I’ve noticed some dental offices offering all kinds of extra “WOW” factors.  Massage chairs, foot massages, coffee, cookies(healthy, non sugar of course) popcorn, video games, hot towels and many more.  Get a bad massage or cup of coffee, I’m not going back...wait, I went their for a cleaning and a filling and the smell of popcorn in a dental office didn’t agree with me and my son is allergic to peanuts-you didn’t use peanut oil to make the popcorn did you?  But is it gluten free?  No ma’am but it is antibiotic free black angus, and on and on-

Do what you do well AND keep doing it well.  All the other stuff is just noise

At the end of the day, I think ESPN (and others) are getting screwed because of contracts they've made to host sports/leagues/conferences. We see those numbers all the time. Like how much fox paid for big east bball. We we're probably all happy that mu was getting a big chunk.

The problem is, as it is with a TON of areas of society, is people want the quick buck and the short term fix. The financial model was not sustainable. ESPN and others are on the hook for payments. It's gonna be a bubble like others. And who will hurt the most? Not the ones at the top, that's for sure.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2017, 09:51:08 AM »

The NFL ratings decline is part of an overall decline in television viewership. In fact, NFL ratings have actually declined less than most programming.
This is a simple, indisputable fact.
It's driven by the protests, or the length of commercial breaks, or injuries, or quality of play. It's driven by changes in the way access their entertainment.
People who truly believe that television ratings overall are down for one reason, but NFL ratings are down for another, separate reason are dim.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »

I think they are down mostly because the product is mediocre.  And ratings are down most everywhere so there are macro events at play.

not baseball, not the nba

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:45 AM »
Ratings peaked in 2013. 2014 and 2015 showed moderate dips. In 2016 (Kaps 1st protest year, the pig/cop socks, etc.) they fell hard. As many joined the protests in 2017 the ratings continue to fall hard. Occam's Razor.

Even if true, it's outrageous. ESPN, papa John's, other advertiser, etc getting mad at people protesting against racism. Because of their financial situation. Think about that. $$$ > addressing/working against racism. What a sad commentary about our society

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2017, 09:57:46 AM »
The NFL ratings decline is part of an overall decline in television viewership. In fact, NFL ratings have actually declined less than most programming.
This is a simple, indisputable fact.
It's driven by the protests, or the length of commercial breaks, or injuries, or quality of play. It's driven by changes in the way access their entertainment.
People who truly believe that television ratings overall are down for one reason, but NFL ratings are down for another, separate reason are dim.

this tortured logic with incorrect facts (the NFL is crashing the last 2 to 3 years while most other sports are rising. ... even freaking Tennis is rising in the last 2 to 3 years).

The problem is too many in the NFL thinks this actually passes as the rationalization which is why they cannot/will not the obvious elephant in the room as to the real problem.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
not baseball, not the nba

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2017/10/10/here-are-the-2017-mlb-prime-time-television-ratings-for-each-team/#12fcd29d3799

Overall, league ratings in prime time were down -6% compared to last season with the Detroit Tigers (down -38%) leading the way in ratings drag from the year prior.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/nba-regular-season-ratings-1202031083/

ABC, ESPN, and TNT saw NBA viewership decline slightly in the 2016-17 regular season, the first covered under a multi-billion-dollar contract extension between the league and its television partners that reaches through 2024-25.

National NBA telecasts across the three channels and cable network NBA TV averaged 1.19 million total viewers for the season ending on Wednesday — down 6% from the 2015-16 season, but even with the average from 2014-15. Under a new television deal, the three networks combined to broadcast 19 more games than last season.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2017, 09:59:57 AM »
Even if true, it's outrageous. ESPN, papa John's, other advertiser, etc getting mad at people protesting against racism. Because of their financial situation. Think about that. $$$ > addressing/working against racism. What a sad commentary about our society

Is that what they are protesting against?  Becuase every week every player has a different reason for taking a knee.  In the end, it all just looks like disrespecting the country.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2017, 10:00:52 AM »
Another chicos name?

Boy oh boy...they do have help for some of these derangements.  So anything you may have a disagreement with becomes “Chico’s”??    Focus Jesmu  focus
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »
Boy oh boy...they do have help for some of these derangements.  So anything you may have a disagreement with becomes “Chico’s”??    Focus Jesmu  focus

I apologize. I just assumed it was a new account for our friend chicos/4or5. I was kind of correct. Seems he renamed 4or5 to this new "McPherson".
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:06:07 AM by jesmu84 »

feedback