collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 100 degrees in LA for game 1 of the WS  (Read 5654 times)

tower912

• All American
100 degrees in LA for game 1 of the WS
« on: October 24, 2017, 11:05:23 AM »
It may be 100 degrees when the teams take the field in LA tonight for game 1 of the WS.   Probably will feel even hotter on the field.  Do you think the players would rather be in that kind of heat, or the cold, wet conditions that permeate the upper Midwest right now.   Yes, they are glad to be there.  And they don't care about the weather because they are in the WS.   But all other things being equal, too hot, or cold and damp?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: 100 degrees in LA for game 1 of the WS
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
It may be 100 degrees when the teams take the field in LA tonight for game 1 of the WS.   Probably will feel even hotter on the field.  Do you think the players would rather be in that kind of heat, or the cold, wet conditions that permeate the upper Midwest right now.   Yes, they are glad to be there.  And they don't care about the weather because they are in the WS.   But all other things being equal, too hot, or cold and damp?

Depends on if your a hitter or pitcher....hitters will love it and pitchers will hate. Ball will carry and breaking stuff won't break nearly as much. #NoHumidity
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 11:24:57 AM »
As your tag line notes Real Warriors dont whine. lol

Neither team in WS is from the upper midwest and neither of them could relate to your cold weather.

My guess is neither LA or Hou has any problem with 100 deg....and both are happy to not be playing a team in northern cold... this time of year.

This weekend...In Houston ....we will close the roof and play at about room temperature
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 12:53:54 PM »
Yeah, but it's a dry heat..........

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »

Yes, the games should be played at Yankee Stadium, the home of the World Series.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 04:42:40 PM »
It also depends where the individual players grew up.  Lots of those guys grew up near the equator.  They're at home in the 100 degree weather.  If it was me, a Milwaukee native, I'd rather play in 50 degrees than 100.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 07:18:44 PM »
Chris Taylor has been unreal.  Just a steal of a find by the Dodgers. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 08:26:41 PM »
It also depends where the individual players grew up.  Lots of those guys grew up near the equator.  They're at home in the 100 degree weather.  If it was me, a Milwaukee native, I'd rather play in 50 degrees than 100.

I think it depends mostly on where you've been for the past few years than on where you grew up.

I was born and raised in Milwaukee, then lived in Nashville and Richmond for 4 years before moving back north.  The first couple of summers in Nashville were unbearable, but then I got used to them.  And when I moved back north, the first couple of winters back were unbearable.

My guess is that these guys are fine after spending most of the summer playing baseball in SoCal/Houston.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 10:32:03 PM »
Is 100 degrees or cold/rainy the only choices? If so, I'm guessing the vast majority of players would rather be where it is hot and dry.

They should have split the difference and played the WS in Charlotte!

BTW, I find myself rooting for Kershaw, and therefore the Dodgers. I don't like it when an athlete as dominant as Kershaw gets stuck with the "but he hasn't won the big one" label. Yes, in a couple of cases it was Kershaw's own fault that he didn't advance to give himself a chance to avoid the label, but still, I'd like to see him shed it.

He's off to a very nice start.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:25:50 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 08:29:21 AM »
I also am rooting for the Dodgers.  Since I have had MLB.tv, I started watching a lot of Kershaw games, then got sucked in by Vin Scully and have watched more than a few Dodger games the last 3-4 years. 

It was great to see Kershaw put some of the demons away last night and just completely dominate in a WS game. 

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 12:07:41 PM »
After the record heat in LA for the first two games, the WS shifts back to Houston...and the gods must be aware we are playing ball in late Oct. ...Houston is looking to a record cold snap outside...we are going down to 40s at night.

But...As they like the crowd noise, the Minute Maid roof will be closed and ambient heat will still have the WS playing area at a very comfortable level ...about room temperature
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 01:51:48 PM »
After the record heat in LA for the first two games, the WS shifts back to Houston...and the gods must be aware we are playing ball in late Oct. ...Houston is looking to a record cold snap outside...we are going down to 40s at night.

But...As they like the crowd noise, the Minute Maid roof will be closed and ambient heat will still have the WS playing area at a very comfortable level ...about room temperature

kinda like Miller Park for the final 4, ai'na?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 02:43:53 PM »
As your tag line notes Real Warriors dont whine. lol

Speaking of taglines, that quote is from Evelyn Beatrice Hall's book The Friends of Voltaire. It's not actually a quote from Voltaire himself.

For the record, Evelyn Beatrice Hall never met Chicos either.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 02:52:30 PM »
Speaking of taglines, that quote is from Evelyn Beatrice Hall's book The Friends of Voltaire. It's not actually a quote from Voltaire himself.

Thanks for correcting this

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »

:)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 06:41:24 PM »
Ratings for game 1 were awful.  It must be all those players protesting that's driving viewers away...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 06:44:41 PM »
Ratings for game 1 were awful.  It must be all those players protesting that's driving viewers away...

Baseball is evolving into a local sport.  Less and less interest when your team is not involved.  I watched, but last night was a boring game if you didn't have a real rooting interest.  Not lots of baserunners and action.

Too few balls in play in the modern game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 06:50:34 PM »
last night was a boring game if you didn't have a real rooting interest.  Not lots of baserunners and action.

Too few balls in play in the modern game.

I know I am in the minority when it comes to baseball, but gosh I couldn't disagree more.  That was a masterfully pitched game on both sides.  And from the Dodgers side, and a baseball history side, it was one of the best pitchers in the history of the game completely dominating and displaying the stuff which makes him so great.  I enjoyed the hell out of that game. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 06:52:31 PM »
Oh, and I am expecting a similar style game tonight.  Verlander will be himself and I would bet Hill will be pretty dang good for 6 or so innings. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 06:59:24 PM »
I know I am in the minority when it comes to baseball, but gosh I couldn't disagree more.  That was a masterfully pitched game on both sides.  And from the Dodgers side, and a baseball history side, it was one of the best pitchers in the history of the game completely dominating and displaying the stuff which makes him so great.  I enjoyed the hell out of that game.

Agreed.  Baseball is my least favorite of the 3 main sports but I think their postseason is my favorite postseason of them all (at least when looking at just the pros...nothing beats March Madness).  The crowd going nuts the whole game, the intensity of every pitch, typically in cold weather.  Nothing better.  The Postseason is the only time I watch baseball other than Brewers games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 07:00:36 PM »

+1

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 08:28:16 PM »

Not the entire reason, but the game being so quick caused a hit. Usually more people watch at the end, and that helps the average rating. Learned that on Twitter today.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 11:02:05 PM »

Except they weren't awful. In fact, the second highest game 1 World Series in the last 7 years.  Only last year in a historic matchup with the Cubs playing for their first World Series in decades was better since 2010.   All the markets viewership numbers aren't even in yet and it already is 2nd best since 2010.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 12:31:42 AM »
Wow.  What a great, fun game.  That was awesome.  I'm hoping for 5 more like it.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 05:37:31 AM »
Wow.  What a great, fun game.  That was awesome.  I'm hoping for 5 more like it.

Yeah, that was more like it.  What a fun game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.