[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Open Practice  (Read 13765 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Open Practice
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2017, 10:08:20 AM »
I focused on the Freshman , Sacar and Harry; as they are the new elements . I was pleased with the progress of all .

We are clearly getting a major upgrade in rebounding and defense with these freshman .  Ike “looks “ the worst of the freshman  , but I think what he brings to the table may actually be the easiest to convert into a game situation . There are lots of ball screens in our league and I think his combination of footwork and strength allows him to work through those. He will be a limited minutes high intensity guy .

The coaches were working Theo hard as he is going to play a lot and they want him to be prepared . They are riding him on the little things which is good . So I took their heavy practice focus on him positively.

Cain and Elliot are future stars and outright pogo sticks. Cain clearly upped his boarding skills.  Just give them time to grow their bodies . It was easy to see their length is a difference maker in so many ways. I also think we are a perfect program for both of these kids. We can give them plenty of minutes against the cupcakes and then work them in at a measured pace in conference play.

I was ok with Froling , I think he is right about where I thought he would be. I think Wojo will figure out a way to utilize the offensive tools he has ,but minimize his physical shortcomings which everyone at the practice saw.  It is too bad he is coming in a little later because I think he could have built some momentum against the cupcakes.  The Big East is going to present challenges which will take him some time to adjust to.

Sacar appears to be Big East ready, which was the best news of the practice. He is one of our few down hill players, which will come in handy if defenses over play our shooters. We definitely need his defense especially when the two small guards are playing together.  From what I saw I would not be surprised if he splits the 3 minutes with Haanif.

Overall I really liked where are team is. Wojo and Company are doing a good job with this group of kids.

Ps Marotta is having a great time. The kid brings a lot of positive energy to the the group.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »
It's a great thing, please have it every year! Only problem was my two year old was pissed he couldn't go down and shoot hoops (dude is obsessed with basketball, shoots on his Fischer Price hoop for at least 15 minutes after he wakes up and at least 15 minutes after he gets home from daycare)
I have a meeting tomorrow. I'll pass it on.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »
So, what did the fine Dr. say when Markus returned in less than 10 minutes?

It was apparently not a sprained ankle.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2017, 10:37:04 AM »
Love going but both times I've gone I've worried it's trick and someone is going to come out and tell us we all have a problem; and that we need to reevaluate our lives and how much we care about #mubb.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2017, 10:40:24 AM »
I am so psyched to hear all this about Sacar. I think I had kind of written him off, thinking he'd be another Chief.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2017, 10:42:48 AM »
Assuming this was at the Al, for those that were there, did the entrance get fixed?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2017, 10:43:56 AM »
Assuming this was at the Al, for those that were there, did the entrance get fixed?

It was at the BC.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2017, 10:44:48 AM »
It was at BMO Bradley.  First time the boys were on that floor. Wojo described it as an important step. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2017, 10:47:24 AM »
One other observation.  In Wojo's mind this is ALL about defense this year.  He's committed to teaching these kids the right way to play D up to the best of their ability.  Most of his ire last night was directed at defensive effort, positioning, 'ready position', etc.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2017, 10:50:50 AM »
One other observation.  In Wojo's mind this is ALL about defense this year.  He's committed to teaching these kids the right way to play D up to the best of their ability.  Most of his ire last night was directed at defensive effort, positioning, 'ready position', etc.

I am happy to hear this, but I cant help but read this and think this should not be a revelation....

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »
It was at the BC.
I drove by the AL and the entrance wasn't fixed. They put a Marquette ad over the entrance. looks decent

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2017, 10:53:17 AM »
I am happy to hear this, but I cant help but read this and think this should not be a revelation....

No one said it was.  He said they were focusing on defense, not that it was a new idea.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2017, 10:58:39 AM »

True dat.  But remember that he's got returning players who were all less than adequate last year on the defensive end.  Wojo's not going to say a damn thing when Howard's open 3 doesn't fall (like last night).  But he's going to get in his grill if he misses a defensive assignment.  The only time I remember coaches being upset with the offense last night was an ill advised shot by Rowsey.  They blew their whistle 20 times for defensive mistakes forcing guys to run

Oh, one more thing.  Wojo has a new defensive 'rule' that he discussed, especially in the last 6 minutes.  No layups, no open look 3s, and no fouls.  That's how guys are being graded and they know it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »
Oh, one more thing.  Wojo has a new defensive 'rule' that he discussed, especially in the last 6 minutes.  No layups, no open look 3s, and no fouls.  That's how guys are being graded and they know it.

I think we should call it the Villanova rule.....HEY OH
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2017, 12:03:31 PM »
I think we should call it the Villanova rule.....HEY OH

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2017, 08:32:41 PM »
No one said it was.  He said they were focusing on defense, not that it was a new idea.

Thanks for the clarification. Very helpful

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2017, 08:36:17 PM »
True dat.  But remember that he's got returning players who were all less than adequate last year on the defensive end.  Wojo's not going to say a damn thing when Howard's open 3 doesn't fall (like last night).  But he's going to get in his grill if he misses a defensive assignment.  The only time I remember coaches being upset with the offense last night was an ill advised shot by Rowsey.  They blew their whistle 20 times for defensive mistakes forcing guys to run

I would love us to get back to a lock down mindset on defense.  That was a really fun part about some of the best Crean/Buzz teams.  I miss it. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2017, 11:34:33 AM »
For those who saw the practice, did Sacar ever kick out to an open wing after he started to drive?  Having a player with size who can drive, draw, and dish will certainly aid the shooters trying to get open looks.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2017, 02:30:53 PM »
For those who saw the practice, did Sacar ever kick out to an open wing after he started to drive?  Having a player with size who can drive, draw, and dish will certainly aid the shooters trying to get open looks.

Yeah he kicked to an open Hauser on the wing once that I recall
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2017, 03:42:23 PM »
Given the accolades on Sacar, it seems the redshirt was a great idea.  How much was the redshirt his idea, and how much was it the coaching staff.  Who initiates that conversation?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »
Foxconn showed up and gave everyone in the crowd a 100-inch 4K TV and a six-figure job.

They also presented Scott Walker with a giant check made out to the Great Citizens of Wisconsin for 110% of the amount of total state incentives they were originally given.

Wow! Two 100 inch TVs in the Glow house.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2017, 09:25:04 PM »
Given the accolades on Sacar, it seems the redshirt was a great idea.  How much was the redshirt his idea, and how much was it the coaching staff.  Who initiates that conversation?
The coaches initiated it and Sacar and his family went along with the idea. Credit to both parties for making this happen.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2017, 10:24:32 PM »
The coaches initiated it and Sacar and his family went along with the idea. Credit to both parties for making this happen.

He would have had a hard time getting any minutes last year with Katin and JJJ in front of him, wise choice.  I really like kids that take a year off to work on there craft.
Just see how many kids at Wisconsin that red-shirted, they have taken that year off to improve.  They grow up.  He has a chance to be very good, he schooled Jamil
Cain all night in that practice.  You could see his strength and just took Cain off the dribble.  In 2 years, that will be the opposite as Cain will probably get bigger and
improve as much if not more as he is the most athletic player on the team.  I really liked Elliott as well.  He could get 20-25 minutes just because the pigmys are not
good defenders.  MU is a different team this year but next year there going to have NBA size upfront, and on the bench.  Joey will give them a different look as I can
see the Hausers starting with Morrow at center at times.   Froling, John will be enforcers off the bench, and you can not forget about Matt.  Hope Grimes feels the same way.  Visiting those other schools are just different then MU, one and done type players, not sure how united they are together.  I do give Calapari credit for getting those kids to play together.   One last point,  lets say Grimes commits,  Bailey comes as a walk-on for one year, anything is possible.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2017, 11:05:47 PM »
He would have had a hard time getting any minutes last year with Katin and JJJ in front of him, wise choice.  I really like kids that take a year off to work on there craft.
Just see how many kids at Wisconsin that red-shirted, they have taken that year off to improve.  They grow up.  He has a chance to be very good, he schooled Jamil
Cain all night in that practice.  You could see his strength and just took Cain off the dribble.  In 2 years, that will be the opposite as Cain will probably get bigger and
improve as much if not more as he is the most athletic player on the team.  I really liked Elliott as well.  He could get 20-25 minutes just because the pigmys are not
good defenders.  MU is a different team this year but next year there going to have NBA size upfront, and on the bench.  Joey will give them a different look as I can
see the Hausers starting with Morrow at center at times.   Froling, John will be enforcers off the bench, and you can not forget about Matt.  Hope Grimes feels the same way.  Visiting those other schools are just different then MU, one and done type players, not sure how united they are together.  I do give Calapari credit for getting those kids to play together.   One last point,  lets say Grimes commits,  Bailey comes as a walk-on for one year, anything is possible.

Froling an enforcer off the bench?  Did you read this thread?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:08:20 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2017, 11:08:07 PM »

I know you like Eke now, but I think that he's a great candidate for the Sacar plan, a sophomore redshirt.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.