Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Potential of Crean Getting The Louisville Job  (Read 11373 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The Potential of Crean Getting The Louisville Job
« on: September 27, 2017, 08:14:03 PM »
There are a lot of rumors and speculation about Coach Crean stepping in as interim coach at Louisville. I would be delighted if he got the job. I always want to see our alumni do well, as I believe it is positive for the program to be associated with successful individuals.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/louisville-expert-says-tom-crean-a-serious-candidate-to-replace-rick-pitino/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
Re: The Potential of Crean Getting The Louisville Job
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 08:21:52 PM »
Louisville fans are excited about the move.....

https://mobile.twitter.com/jdemling/status/913175088391966720

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:24:50 PM »
I’d bee delighted if Crean contracted a severe case of terminal head lice, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 08:28:53 PM »
It doesn't make sense for TC right now.  Taking the job affects the buyout.  Also, why take over now when there is going to be nothing but chaos this season?  The job will probably be available in the spring after a season with an interim coach.   Obviously, he COULD do it.   I just don't think it is the best move for him right now.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 08:30:12 PM »
Louisville fans are excited about the move.....

https://mobile.twitter.com/jdemling/status/913175088391966720

Of course they're not going to be excited about it.  But what other choice do they have?  Maybe Matta, but no good candidate is going to leave their job now. 

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 08:43:10 PM »
We will find out in 48 hours or so what options they have.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 08:47:18 PM »

Of course they're not going to be excited about it.  But what other choice do they have?  Maybe Matta, but no good candidate is going to leave their job now.

That's how I look at it.  I get why they're not thrilled, but the season is right around the corner and they need someone with high-major experience.  At least he'd keep the program on the rails.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 08:52:42 PM »
I don't have the article or the interview, but I recall Crean saying - in his next job opportunity - that he would like to stay in the Midwest, with a prestigious basketball-first program, and a program that can compete for a national championship.

Obviously, jobs like aren't exactly flowing with availability - but Louisville certainly matches those criteria.  The only thing that he needs to think about is - to what extent - these penalties will have on the long-term competitiveness on the Louisville job.  If its another IU situation, one that next several years to rebuild, I would guess that he would pass.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 08:56:41 PM »
I don't have the article or the interview, but I recall Crean saying - in his next job opportunity - that he would like to stay in the Midwest, with a prestigious basketball-first program, and a program that can compete for a national championship.

Obviously, jobs like aren't exactly flowing with availability - but Louisville certainly matches those criteria.  The only thing that he needs to think about is - to what extent - these penalties will have on the long-term competitiveness on the Louisville job.  If its another IU situation, one that next several years to rebuild, I would guess that he would pass.

If they hire him it would only be on an interim basis so the long term stuff won't really matter for him. They aren't going to make a commitment to him without trying for a big name next summer.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 09:04:49 PM »
If they hire him it would only be on an interim basis so the long term stuff won't really matter for him. They aren't going to make a commitment to him without trying for a big name next summer.

Yep - that's what I figure.  If he somehow pulls off a miracle, maybe they keep him...but in all likelihood they would upfront with him about it being short-term.

As for his buyout, I can see some of these Type A+++++ coaching types wanting to be in the spotlight so badly that they'd forego buyout money in favor of a big check and big spotlight at UL.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 09:23:18 PM »
Larry Brown seems like their type for interim, then Crean

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 09:29:48 PM »
Ah idk, would seem unlikely to me given the need to clean the program up, I think everyone and their momma knows Brown is dirty

mug644

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 09:42:24 PM »
Ah idk, would seem unlikely to me given the need to clean the program up, I think everyone and their momma knows Brown is dirty

Though not a huge Crean fan, I'll at least acknowledge that he has the credentials to not be hired as an interim coach, who are normally guys who need to prove their chops, but are taken on during the 'non-hiring' season.

If Crean goes to Louisville, it will be with the full title of Head Coach and a real contract, even at this awkward time.

But I don't see that happening, not with so much uncertainty around the program right now and this season.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:30:10 PM by mug644 »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 09:43:45 PM »
My guess is Louisville gets the death penalty.  Why coach their one year?  They will most likely self impose a tourney ban this year, as well.  Seems like a dead end situation to me
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 11:00:57 PM »

Brown would make sense to me.  He'd be one of a handful of people willing to take on the 1-year opportunity. 

If they want the squeaky clean hire.  John Thompson III. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 11:45:06 PM »

I think you are right. Mack would be the obvious choice, but why leave a good job for the insecurity that now surrounds UL?

Has to be a guy who needs a job.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 11:54:33 PM »
Mack would be out of his mind to take this job- more likely a scoop poster gets the gig.

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 05:07:04 AM »
That 1980 Louisville team is what first made me fall in love with basketball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »
Scott Davenport of Bellarmine is strongly in the mix...

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/913251604098437120
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 07:20:47 AM »
I think you are right. Mack would be the obvious choice, but why leave a good job for the insecurity that now surrounds UL?

Has to be a guy who needs a job.

Mack would be the obvious choice if Pitino were retiring. Under these circumstances - no way.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 07:58:19 AM »
That 1980 Louisville team is what first made me fall in love with basketball.

Slow clap
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 08:07:52 AM »
Mack would be the obvious choice if Pitino were retiring. Under these circumstances - no way.

Agreed. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »
Why is Mack the "obvious" choice for Louisville?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 09:23:46 AM »
LV would be smart to hire an interim and see how everything gets settled while conducting a thorough search. Then, if they don't get the death penalty, they can hire their new coach as soon as their season ends (which almost surely will be without an NCAA tourney bid), beating the firing-and-hiring frenzy that takes place every year. If they don't get the death penalty or too bad a postseason ban, LV is still a marquee job.

Meanwhile, proven coaches who might be interested in this marquee job would be smart to wait to see where all the chips fall.

All IMHO, of course.

As for Larry Brown, I first thought maybe it was meant to be in teal. It was, right?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:17:25 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 09:35:09 AM »
Hire Darrell Griffith! It doesn't matter if he can coach, Dr. Dunkenstein will bring a bit of nostalgia and good feelings back to the program. He's already employed at the university! It's a slam dunk hire. (Horrible pun intended)

feedback