Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What if Marquette is somehow implicated?  (Read 14457 times)

mug644

• All American
Re: What if Marquette is somehow implicated?
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »
College basketball recruiting has always been dirty and we haven’t been immune from it. From what I remember hearing back in the day, Al paid a hefty price for Dean meminger, probably far more than 100k when you factor in inflation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_RYIylWEp4

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »
Anyone who think only the sure-fire lottery, one and done recruits have benefited from shoe brand affiliation on the AAU circuit might want to take a look at the bridge I have up for sale. I don’t know that any of our former or current players or recruits have received cash “gifts” or had trip expenses or gear paid for, but those who say, “well all our guys are 4 stars so we don’t have anything to worry about,” while maybe true for this specific case, being a 4 star instead of 5 means very little.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2017, 10:34:09 PM »
Didn't Buzz do some alumni event in LA where he basically said that you have to cut corners to win?  Or am I just imaging it?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2017, 10:36:20 PM »
Didn't Buzz do some alumni event in LA where he basically said that you have to cut corners to win?  Or am I just imaging it?

No.  He said that you need to sweep corners in order to win.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2017, 06:57:42 AM »
If Marquette is "implicated" (caught, for lack of a better word) reactions will range from denial to people renouncing their fandom. In between those reactions will range from "meh, everybody does it, let's get better at it", to "who do we bring in to clean up this mess?".

If we're not "implicated", reactions will range from holier than thou, "we're better than the rest" to "whew, we dodged that bullet".

And until this blows over, lots of people will pretend to know what Al, Hank, Rick, Dukiet, KO, Deane, Crean, Buzz and Wojo did or didn't do.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2017, 07:08:02 AM »
If Marquette is "implicated" (caught, for lack of a better word) reactions will range from denial to people renouncing their fandom. In between those reactions will range from "meh, everybody does it, let's get better at it", to "who do we bring in to clean up this mess?".

If we're not "implicated", reactions will range from holier than thou, "we're better than the rest" to "whew, we dodged that bullet".

And until this blows over, lots of people will pretend to know what Al, Hank, Rick, Dukiet, KO, Deane, Crean, Buzz and Wojo did or didn't do.

And everyone within all ranges of that spectrum will return to their normally scheduled fandom the second we start winning games.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2017, 07:12:01 AM »

So you’re saying that Hickey and Nagle are clean? That counts for something!
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »
It would make me think we are the worst cheaters in sports

We cheated to have Juan Anderson log major minutes?

He did get free Brewer tickets.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »
When you're close to something where there's some foul play there are always people who know and it's very possible for things to happen for a long time and even on a large scale before the whistle is blown.  Look at some of the corporate corruption scandals.  The folks who lost business knew they lost to dirty play, but it's just not worth it to do something... but they know who and what and how. 

I'd be reasonably confident it's the same in the world of basketball.  Those on the inside know who and what and how.  If I'm recruiting a new head coach, I know to make sure either
a) he knows how it works if I don't care and want a national championship
b) he's clean as a whistle. 

I'm reasonably certain the current administration of MU would have done deep deep background on Wojo and all of his assistants and went for option b.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »

I'd be reasonably confident it's the same in the world of basketball.  Those on the inside know who and what and how.  If I'm recruiting a new head coach, I know to make sure either

I'm reasonably certain the current administration of MU would have done deep deep background on Wojo and all of his assistants and went for option b.

I think you're making a false assumption when you opine that a coach is either a) willing to do whatever it takes - buy players, AAU coaches, etc., to win a championship or b) "clean as a whistle".

I'm reasonably certain that relatively few D1 coaches dive into the swamp but it's suicide to avoid it altogether because it's where most of the good players are.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2017, 10:02:03 AM »
When you're close to something where there's some foul play there are always people who know and it's very possible for things to happen for a long time and even on a large scale before the whistle is blown.  Look at some of the corporate corruption scandals.  The folks who lost business knew they lost to dirty play, but it's just not worth it to do something... but they know who and what and how. 

You are selling Wojo short - 0% chance he didn't have this covered in the power point

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2017, 07:11:09 PM »
He did get free Brewer tickets.

His friend's father invited Juan and his son to join him at a game where he had an extra suite ticket for a playoff game. That ranks up there with cream cheese on a free bagel equaling an impermissible (at the time) meal.

The three game ban was a joke.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2017, 10:52:40 PM »
We paid up for Henry by paying tuition, room and board for Wally.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2017, 11:02:44 PM »
Only thing Wojo would need to be concerned about is assistants doing things without his knowledge. Kind of like the Hank era, as previously noted.

To be blunt, Doc's recruitment was "dirty"?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2017, 03:17:50 AM »

How come MU is capable of “deep deep background” on cheating by the NCAA is not?

Maybe MU’s administration should run the NCAA investigative division?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2017, 07:58:17 AM »
We paid up for Henry by paying tuition, room and board for Wally.

Legit LOL

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2017, 08:07:58 AM »
His friend's father invited Juan and his son to join him at a game where he had an extra suite ticket for a playoff game. That ranks up there with cream cheese on a free bagel equaling an impermissible (at the time) meal.

The three game ban was a joke.

My comment was a joke as well. My freshman year '65 there were a lot of free Brave tickets available as that was their final season in Milwaukee. Damn I wish they would have gotten into the World Series that year, probably could have gotten tickets right behind the dugout.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2017, 08:21:17 AM »
Look, only Chicos can judge.  Everything else is just speculation.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
Look, only Chicos can judge.  Everything else is just speculation.

Yes, until 4or5years have gone by.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2017, 12:09:51 PM »
How come MU is capable of “deep deep background” on cheating by the NCAA is not?

Because MU's administration's "investigators" or whatever answer to only one organization: Marquette University.  The NCAA answers to the University of North Carolina, amongst others.

[Damn, we're on fire with the tar heel hate here, yo.  Wojo must be turning us into the Duke of the Midwest.]
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2017, 12:16:13 PM »

Wojo went through "extreme vetting." 

I probably shouldn't reveal this on a message board, but my friends inside the Al (Vander's tutor being one of them) said that Wojo was waterboarded in the Old Gym.  On multiple occasions.  The dude is clean.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »
"A clear conscience is a great pillow"
-- Wojo, 2017

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »

I probably shouldn't reveal this on a message board, but my friends inside the Al (Vander's tutor being one of them) said that Wojo was waterboarded in the Old Gym.  On multiple occasions.  The dude is clean.

Probably part the the ROTC training program.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2017, 09:46:16 AM »

Heard he was also forced to march to Jimmy John’s in a full metal walking boot

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »
To be blunt, Doc's recruitment was "dirty"?
Heard there was a towel involved.
Goal is National Championship

feedback