Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What if Marquette is somehow implicated?  (Read 14458 times)

tower912

• All American
What if Marquette is somehow implicated?
« on: September 27, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
As I said in another thread, I fear that we are starting our gloating a little too soon.    Apparently, a Nike basketball shoe rep just got all of his records called for.   So, if MU is implicated in this ever spreading investigation, how will you react?    Will it change your opinion of Marquette basketball?    Will it change your perspective on the investigation?    I fear this will end up doing to NCAA Men's basketball what hurricanes do to Caribbean islands.  And MU will be damned lucky to miss out on the devastation.     

As an aside, I remember a few years ago when a Spartan fan was posting on the Bucky scout board that Buzz was willing to pay for Branden Dawson.    He clammed up when Dawson chose Sparty.     

Be careful about the bold proclamations until this crapstorm blows over. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
Re: What if Marquette is somehow implicated?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »
This possibly could be a time in our history that may not be on this list. Fairly certain that we may have landed on this list under a fairly large number of coaches in our history.

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 01:30:48 PM »
I am very confident Wojo being a 1st time coach would not risk his down the road goals.  He is at a point in his career where he cannot afford to get pinched.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 01:32:30 PM »
I will start worrying about Wojo, if there starts to be smoke around Duke. I think Wojo and Coach K are clean coaches.

I know I have spent 50 plus years putting too much emphasis on MU basketball. MU being involved would cure me of this imbalance in my life.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 01:38:35 PM »
The investigation seems more relevant for McDonalds AA types that are sure-fire NBA players, with the shoe companies trying to get in on them early and keep them loyal to a brand.  Henry was the only player like that at MU recently, and I highly doubt he would be involved in something like this.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »
All coaches cheat.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 01:42:41 PM »
As I said in another thread, I fear that we are starting our gloating a little too soon.    Apparently, a Nike basketball shoe rep just got all of his records called for.   So, if MU is implicated in this ever spreading investigation, how will you react?    Will it change your opinion of Marquette basketball?    Will it change your perspective on the investigation?    I fear this will end up doing to NCAA Men's basketball what hurricanes do to Caribbean islands.  And MU will be damned lucky to miss out on the devastation.     

As an aside, I remember a few years ago when a Spartan fan was posting on the Bucky scout board that Buzz was willing to pay for Branden Dawson.    He clammed up when Dawson chose Sparty.     

Be careful about the bold proclamations until this crapstorm blows over.

It would be very disappointing to me. I have strong, but realistic expectations for the program. I want MU to win and to be successful but not with bribes, kickbacks and player payments.

However, if something did occur, what regime?? If it is current one, I would expect appropriate measures to be taken, including termination. But, if it is from the past (say Buzz), I'm not sure what could be done. All the major players from that time period are gone. If anything, it would reinforce one of the strongest lessons from the Buzz era, that organizational fit matters.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »
I will start worrying about Wojo, if there starts to be smoke around Duke. I think Wojo and Coach K are clean coaches.

I haven't thought K was clean for long time now. Ever since the jewelry scandal.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 01:43:44 PM »
I said this in another thread - wher I also acknowledge I could be wrong about this - but I'd be surprised if this goes too much further at this point. It's not like the feds to bring cases like this piecemeal, if they can help it. If there are lots of others involved, yesterday's arrests would only serve to tip them off, allowing them to destroy evidence, get their stories straight and lawyer up. It's not the way the FBI likes to go about these things. If the FBI thought these guys would roll on others, they likely wouldn't have arrested and charged them in such a public way. They'd have brought them in quietly and squeezed them for all they were worth.

Again, I could be wrong, but experience tells me this may not be a tip of the iceberg situation.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 01:46:54 PM »
It's unlikely that MU gets caught up in THIS scandal. It's not that MU or Wojo or Duke or whatever aren't cheating it's that we aren't cheating this way (and so flagrantly). Word is that no one around the program is worried about this, even the Buzz era...might be some slime here and there but not at this level.

Now if this info is wrong, we need to burn the program to the ground and start over....i don't want to win this way, period and it's not something the university should be about
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »
From a functional standpoint, because this is a criminal investigation and not an NCAA investigation, if these activities took place under a previous coach, there is no impact on the MU basketball program, except for reputation.    If assistants under Crean or Buzz were bribing players, it has no impact on the current administration, other than reputation.    If one of the current assistants are implicated, that is a whole different kettle of fish. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 01:51:54 PM »
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 01:53:43 PM »
It would make me think we are the worst cheaters in sports

We cheated to have Juan Anderson log major minutes?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 01:53:59 PM »
4ever

You are right on all coaches cheat. It comes to the degree of cheating. My gut tells me Wojo is our cleanest coach since Hank. That said, Hank probably did not know a lot of what was going on behind the scenes. He truly could have claimed at being shocked if MU was caught while he was coach.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 01:54:03 PM »
If we are implicated, I'm very disappointed in the results. Louisville got a title out of it, we got three years of tourney free March.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 01:57:12 PM »
I said this in another thread - wher I also acknowledge I could be wrong about this - but I'd be surprised if this goes too much further at this point. It's not like the feds to bring cases like this piecemeal, if they can help it. If there are lots of others involved, yesterday's arrests would only serve to tip them off, allowing them to destroy evidence, get their stories straight and lawyer up. It's not the way the FBI likes to go about these things. If the FBI thought these guys would roll on others, they likely wouldn't have arrested and charged them in such a public way. They'd have brought them in quietly and squeezed them for all they were worth.

Again, I could be wrong, but experience tells me this may not be a tip of the iceberg situation.

I had that feeling too, but the FBI spokesperson made it pretty clear in his remarks that the investigation is ongoing.  He actually said those words, along with something to the effect of it being better for anyone involved to call the FBI than for the FBI to call them.

These coaches that got arrested are facing maximums of 80 years in federal prison for their crimes, of which they would have to serve no less than 68 if convicted.  Effectively the rest of their lives.  You'd think anyone that might be involved would be quite willing to cooperate with the investigation rather than get caught up in it.

That's what gives me pause about this whole thing going down a rabbit hole.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
All coaches cheat.
In a broad brush sense, this is probably true. I would say most coaches are not big time cheaters.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:14:14 PM by bilsu »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 02:02:41 PM »
Brew

Could not have said it better myself. Maybe, I would add pissed off and disappointed.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 02:06:25 PM »
As cliche as it sounds, where there's smoke, there's fire.  And the cloud of smoke tends to stay near the source.

I haven't scoured the Louisville boards (or anyone else's for that matter), but I'd be willing to bet that not every UL fan is surprised by the fact that Bowen may have been funneled some amount of cash in exchange for his commitment.

And while not every one of us here on Scoop is one of the handful of major donors, boosters or someone connected to the inner-workings of MUBB, I'm sure that a few of us are close enough that we'd get a hint of smoke if something was burning at the Al.  So until one of our regular Scoopers raises an alarm or I start seeing the Dookies get nervous, I think we can cautiously relax.

All coaches cheat.

Not so sure that means anything at all.   Heck, to an extent isn't it even frowned upon not to cheat?  For example, if a coach witnesses an obviously incorrect call by the referee in favor of his team, when have you ever seen the coach stand up and tell the ref to reverse the call?  The coach that sits on his hand and let's his team shoot free throws... how is that not cheating?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »
There is no doubt at all that Duke is sweating about Marvin Bagley right now.  Wojo was never involved in his recruitment, so that is of no concern.  I would be very surprised if there weren't recruits in the past that had received some sort of incentive to attend Duke.  Was it run through Nike?  Not sure.

I'm pretty confident MU will never be involved in this, but I'm also pretty confident there were some conversations going on in the athletic department yesterday.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 02:32:16 PM »
As cliche as it sounds, where there's smoke, there's fire.  And the cloud of smoke tends to stay near the source.

I haven't scoured the Louisville boards (or anyone else's for that matter), but I'd be willing to bet that not every UL fan is surprised by the fact that Bowen may have been funneled some amount of cash in exchange for his commitment.

And while not every one of us here on Scoop is one of the handful of major donors, boosters or someone connected to the inner-workings of MUBB, I'm sure that a few of us are close enough that we'd get a hint of smoke if something was burning at the Al.  So until one of our regular Scoopers raises an alarm or I start seeing the Dookies get nervous, I think we can cautiously relax.

Not so sure that means anything at all.   Heck, to an extent isn't it even frowned upon not to cheat?  For example, if a coach witnesses an obviously incorrect call by the referee in favor of his team, when have you ever seen the coach stand up and tell the ref to reverse the call?  The coach that sits on his hand and let's his team shoot free throws... how is that not cheating?

Dis isn’t golf. Givin’ a kid a tee shirt isn’t dat big of a deal to me. 6 figure handshakes and hookers, well, dat’s a horse of a different color. BTW, who paid da rent at Catholic Knights for #22 and #45’s apartment, anyway, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 02:35:29 PM »
4ever

Do you remember Bo driving the convertible Caddy Eldorado on campus during summer of '77?

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »
From a functional standpoint, because this is a criminal investigation and not an NCAA investigation, if these activities took place under a previous coach, there is no impact on the MU basketball program, except for reputation.    If assistants under Crean or Buzz were bribing players, it has no impact on the current administration, other than reputation.    If one of the current assistants are implicated, that is a whole different kettle of fish.

So you think the 10 years of Al McGuire, this was not happening at MU?  As Jerry Tarkanian said, in a conference of 10 teams, all 9 where cheating, there was 1 team that did not, what place did that team come in, last.  John Wooden and Rick Pitino sound like the same person, I had no idea this was happening, I am pretty sure both coaches new about it, just looked the other way.  When MU recruited Sam Bowie, he visited 2 schools, MU and Kentucky.  Kentucky out paid MU big time.  Life of big time
major programs.  I asked a friend who were the biggest cheaters in college, stated 2 schools, Duke and Kentucky.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »
DCHoopster

We were not top 5 for a decade by accident.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 02:46:27 PM »
based on Wojo's tweets since this broke I doubt he has any worries