[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting Day Ahead...  (Read 122725 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Interesting Day Ahead...
« Reply #300 on: September 29, 2017, 09:56:44 AM »
Pitino, and probably some other big names are going to be headed to jail.....   Lots of people are going to sing as self preservation.   I don't think too many coaches are sleeping real well right now.   I follow Buzz on twitter and he hasn't even mentioned any of it.   Interesting.

Pitino has not been charged with anything.

Here is the thing that strikes me.    I don't think that anybody ever believed that it rose to being a criminal offense.    Yes, it was dirty, but it was widespread and pervasive.    Now it turns out it is a criminal offense.    And, while it is true that there are far bigger fish to fry out there and far more destructive crimes, the federales have turned their attention toward it.   And the prospect of 20 years in prison is going to cause a lot of these coaches, shoe reps, agents to sing.   So, I am not going to rest easy about MU's involvement, current or past, for probably a year.   Because this is just the first boulder coming down that snow covered mountain.   

No one is going to jail for 20 years.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #301 on: September 29, 2017, 10:09:25 AM »

Congress is already asking for briefings from the NCAA on the topic of the scandal.  You don't think there is investigative pressure from the FBI coming up the other side?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-congress-college-basketball-20170928-story.html

“The federal government’s investigation into sports companies and basketball coaches at numerous colleges across the nation is extremely troubling and puts into serious question the NCAA’s ability to oversee its own institutions,” Rep. Greg Walden (R-Ore.) and Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. (D-N.J.) said in a joint statement Thursday.

“In addition to any criminal activities, these allegations raise concerns about the effects of these predatory schemes on youth athletes and how hidden financial connections between advertisers and endorsers influence young consumers.”
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #302 on: September 29, 2017, 10:13:11 AM »
This group of 10 who have been arrested are going to be used/interviewed to go after big fish, if there are any. In exchange they won't be going for to jail for 20 years. You can bet these guys are all asking for immunity if they roll.

This is going to get pretty wild, and how far back will this go. Would a Kansas or North Carolina get in trouble for something that happened 10 years ago. Crazy times
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:43:53 AM by blikemike2 »

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #303 on: September 29, 2017, 10:28:26 AM »
Congress is already asking for briefings from the NCAA on the topic of the scandal.  You don't think there is investigative pressure from the FBI coming up the other side?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-congress-college-basketball-20170928-story.html

“The federal government’s investigation into sports companies and basketball coaches at numerous colleges across the nation is extremely troubling and puts into serious question the NCAA’s ability to oversee its own institutions,” Rep. Greg Walden (R-Ore.) and Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. (D-N.J.) said in a joint statement Thursday.

“In addition to any criminal activities, these allegations raise concerns about the effects of these predatory schemes on youth athletes and how hidden financial connections between advertisers and endorsers influence young consumers.”

This is a typical knee-jerk response by Congress.  However it may have an influence on the direction taken in an investigation where, due to the depth and scope, the trail of shoe money may lead to Indianapolis.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #304 on: September 29, 2017, 11:23:03 AM »
Try and hold back your tears when reading this touching story about pain and suffering.

Rock Bottom: The Pain and Shame of a Louisville Basketball Fan
A diehard fan of an iconic basketball program reckons with a devastating scandal
https://www.wsj.com/articles/rock-bottom-the-pain-and-shame-of-a-louisville-basketball-fan-1506606948?mod=trending_now_

So this is what rock bottom feels like.

Shame, betrayal, anger. Like a metal bat whacked to the shin while stepping on a Lego while naked in your boss’s office.

This is the fate of Louisville men’s basketball. And this is the fate of my own sports fandom. The team that I have followed my entire life—for which I was even a sweat-mopping ballboy—has been revealed by federal wiretaps to allegedly be heinously crooked and incompetent.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #305 on: September 29, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »
Do you have an alternative explanation for the numerous examples of investigative and enforcement inequities by NCAA over the years?

Yes.  The NCAA is made up of members who set the own rules for enforcement.  Furthermore its own membership doesn't provide it with the resources it needs to do an adequate job.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #306 on: September 29, 2017, 11:43:22 AM »
Another interesting angle to the story:

College basketball’s corrupt culture is going up against perhaps the most prestigious U.S. Attorney’s office in the country, the Southern District of New York. And this could end up as mismatched as a No. 1 vs. No. 16 seed in the NCAA tournament. Alums of that office include former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani, former FBI director James Comey and recent Donald Trump nemesis, Preet Bharara. Former FBI director Louis Freeh also worked in that office, and he just got hired by USC to investigate what happened with assistant coach Tony Bland’s arrest. A New York Times story from 2009 called the office “A Stepping Stone for Law’s Best and Brightest.” One of the lead characters in the television show “Billions” is the U.S. Attorney of the Southern District of New York.

The article points out that there could be some especially go-getting attorney in that office who wants this scandal to be as wide as it can in order to generate publicity.  A rejoinder to anyone claiming that the Feds won't push this case hard because there are bigger fish to fry. 

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #307 on: September 29, 2017, 12:10:15 PM »
Yes.  The NCAA is made up of members who set the own rules for enforcement.  Furthermore its own membership doesn't provide it with the resources it needs to do an adequate job.

Well that's been their mantra for as long as I can remember.  It doesn't discount the possibility that their inability to do the job even in the most extreme and flagrant cases may be due to "resources" that vested interests may provide.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #308 on: September 29, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »

Here's an honest question that I'm not sure about.  Where does the responsibility for enforcing the rules to the point of prevention of systemic and persistent commission of federal crimes lie?  I don't know if that is explicitly within the NCAA enforcement mandate, but doesn't the responsibility to prevent federal crimes from occurring through activities falling within the governance of an organization have to be implicit?

For example, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act exists to prevent any person or business in the US from even attempting to offer illicit payments to "foreign officials" to secure business outside the US.  Companies subject to the FCPA typically develop internal policies to enforce compliance, and strict reporting requirements for everyone in the business are established to facilitate self regulation.

The consequences for violating the FCPA are ENORMOUS, and ignorance of the activity within an organization for any reason (specifically lack of enforcement resources) is not an acceptable defense.

Wouldn't this be a similar situation?
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #309 on: September 29, 2017, 12:20:23 PM »

College basketball’s corrupt culture is going up against perhaps the most prestigious U.S. Attorney’s office in the country, the Southern District of New York. And this could end up as mismatched as a No. 1 vs. No. 16 seed in the NCAA tournament. Alums of that office include former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani, former FBI director James Comey and recent Donald Trump nemesis, Preet Bharara. Former FBI director Louis Freeh also worked in that office, and he just got hired by USC to investigate what happened with assistant coach Tony Bland’s arrest. A New York Times story from 2009 called the office “A Stepping Stone for Law’s Best and Brightest.” One of the lead characters in the television show “Billions” is the U.S. Attorney of the Southern District of New York.

The article points out that there could be some especially go-getting attorney in that office who wants this scandal to be as wide as it can in order to generate publicity.  A rejoinder to anyone claiming that the Feds won't push this case hard because there are bigger fish to fry.

Another way to say the same thing is the Southern District of Manhattan is full of self-absorbed scumbags with political ambition and took on a case of marginal importance because it will generate huge publicly that they can use to launch a political career.  Becuase increasing the favorability and name recognition of the District Attorney is the first, and most important, reason for taking on a case.  Weighing the department's limited resources against which crimes hurt society the most is not the calculus in this office.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #310 on: September 29, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
Do you have an alternative explanation for the numerous examples of investigative and enforcement inequities by NCAA over the years?

My fault, I'm sure, but I totaly missed the post where you enumerated and proved these "inequities".

1.  Stating one's own opinion as fact, and
   2.  assuming guilt of a party (NCAA) without a scintilla of evidence -
two components of any tin hat theory.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #311 on: September 29, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »
Another way to say the same thing is the Southern District of Manhattan is full of self-absorbed scumbags with political ambition and took on a case of marginal importance because it will generate huge publicly that they can use to launch a political career.  Becuase increasing the favorability and name recognition of the District Attorney is the first, and most important, reason for taking on a case.  Weighing the department's limited resources against which crimes hurt society the most is not the calculus in this office.

No matter the motives this was LONG overdue and the blue bloods and other schools who cheat are finally getting their privileges checked. Its Ok if the blue blood moniker changes to other schools, college basketball from a fan perspective isn't great just because Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and Louisville are in the Final Four every year or so.  Its great because of things like Butler making the Final game two years in a row. Gonzaga finally making the final game and Wisconsin (only an example) playing in the championship game, etc.....   Thats what makes this game great, now lets CLEAN IT UP once and for all (or at least for the foreseeable future).

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #312 on: September 29, 2017, 12:46:55 PM »

Questioning the NCAA's competence and accusing members of its enforcement arm of criminal activity are worlds apart. 

The NCAA is a voluntary organization without the investigative tools that law enforcement has at its disposal.  While they may hold leverage over the employees and student athletes of its members it has none over AAU ball coaches, street agents, professional players, agents who represent them.

I can't prove the negative that no NCAA enforcement staff engaged in criminal activity, but I can and do choose to not go there until some report somewhere from any credible source makes that accusation.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #313 on: September 29, 2017, 12:53:01 PM »

The article - at least the part that you quoted - makes no such point.

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #314 on: September 29, 2017, 12:56:21 PM »
Also interesting that apparently Quinerly was paid to commit to Arizona.  Things do not look good in the desert.

Time to increase our face time with the Ginger Ninja.  As one practiced scumbag famously said, “never let a serious crisis go to waste.”
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #315 on: September 29, 2017, 01:01:51 PM »
Here's an honest question that I'm not sure about.  Where does the responsibility for enforcing the rules to the point of prevention of systemic and persistent commission of federal crimes lie?  I don't know if that is explicitly within the NCAA enforcement mandate, but doesn't the responsibility to prevent federal crimes from occurring through activities falling within the governance of an organization have to be implicit?

For example, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act exists to prevent any person or business in the US from even attempting to offer illicit payments to "foreign officials" to secure business outside the US.  Companies subject to the FCPA typically develop internal policies to enforce compliance, and strict reporting requirements for everyone in the business are established to facilitate self regulation.

The consequences for violating the FCPA are ENORMOUS, and ignorance of the activity within an organization for any reason (specifically lack of enforcement resources) is not an acceptable defense.

What's similar about a situation where things had gotten so bad that Congress needed to pass a law specifically to address with - as you noted - ENORMOUS consequences for those who violate it and, on the other hand, a situation where no such law has been passed and prosecutors have to use novel theories of federal fraud in order to bring any charges?

Again, the NCAA is a membership organization and any responsibilites for enforcement that it has are only those that it establishes for itself.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:03:37 PM by 4everCrean »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #316 on: September 29, 2017, 01:05:55 PM »
Here's an honest question that I'm not sure about.  Where does the responsibility for enforcing the rules to the point of prevention of systemic and persistent commission of federal crimes lie?

Well first, this isn't the FCPA.

Second, since most of the members are not committing these types of crimes, it is hard for me to blame the NCAA for this.

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #317 on: September 29, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »
Pitino has not been charged with anything.

I realize that, but the birds haven't started signing yet.   He is coach-2, I've read a bit of the FBI report.  From what I see, phone records show he called Gatto 3 times from the day of the asst coach talked about Ricks dick at Adidas til Bowen committed.   That was like 3-4 days.  It looks really bad for him, I'm betting he'll fall far and hard.   I think he winds up with some jail time.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #318 on: September 29, 2017, 01:39:20 PM »
My fault, I'm sure, but I totaly missed the post where you enumerated and proved these "inequities".

1.  Stating one's own opinion as fact, and
   2.  assuming guilt of a party (NCAA) without a scintilla of evidence -
two components of any tin hat theory.

Read my response again.  I think what you're missing is that I did not theorize anything and have not judged NCAA guilty of any wrongdoing.   If NCAA enforcement has been inequitable or inconsistent I suggest that it may be relevant that NCAA committees involved in investigation and enforcement include representatives of member institutions.  Does this not suggest inherent conflicts of interests where certain members can approach investigations differently or inflict varying degrees of punishment depending potential alliances or rivalry?  Could committee members with existing or past member affiliations be somehow entangled in the ongoing and expanding FBI probe? 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:54:03 PM by Sheriff »

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #319 on: September 29, 2017, 02:07:52 PM »
Well first, this isn't the FCPA.

Second, since most of the members are not committing these types of crimes, it is hard for me to blame the NCAA for this.

I'm fully aware that this isn't FCPA, and am also not assigning blame to the NCAA for this. 

I'm honestly simply wondering if there is any sort of requirement for the NCAA to report any instances of potential commission of crimes that they become aware of that occur within their governed activities.

The FCPA was cited an example of a regulation which sets reporting requirements for potential commission of crimes in an unrelated industry.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #320 on: September 29, 2017, 02:24:18 PM »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #321 on: September 29, 2017, 03:04:02 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20859328/why-coach-why-not-sign-the-next-head-basketball-coach-louisville-cardinals

Seems like Goodman interviewed Buzz exclusively for those "what coaches are saying" quotes.

Except for the quote about "If you're a clean guy, why would you want to follow a cheater at a place with a passionate fan base? If you aren't cheating, you won't win as much."

That was probably Wojo's response.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #322 on: September 29, 2017, 04:37:11 PM »
I can't believe that no one has stated the obvious, so let me. This entire situation was orchestrated by the Power 5 Illuminati as a way of discrediting the NCAA. That way the P5 can really run football the way they want so as to maximize$. Please don't come back at me with logic based arguments why this is ridiculous. This is a great diversion until the season starts, that is until MU is implicated in some way. Until then this shyte storm is immensely entertaining. Darn Rothschilds.......

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #323 on: September 29, 2017, 05:15:42 PM »
Questioning the NCAA's competence and accusing members of its enforcement arm of criminal activity are worlds apart. 

The NCAA is a voluntary organization without the investigative tools that law enforcement has at its disposal.  While they may hold leverage over the employees and student athletes of its members it has none over AAU ball coaches, street agents, professional players, agents who represent them.

I can't prove the negative that no NCAA enforcement staff engaged in criminal activity, but I can and do choose to not go there until some report somewhere from any credible source makes that accusation.

One of those arrested previously served with the NCAA as assistant director of enforcement for basketball development.

Hard to think he is crooked now but was a straight arrow when working for NCAA enforcement.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #324 on: September 30, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »
I expect to see Hennesy Auriental eventually implicated.... the same Auriental who was thrown out of an MU practice with Tim Maymon.  The same Auriental who is currently the legal guardian for the number one ranked recruit for 2019, a Nigerian big man. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/high_school_basketball/amp/St-Anthony-coach-Hennssy-Auriantal-dismissed-11342319.php
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire