[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting Day Ahead...  (Read 122325 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Interesting Day Ahead...
« Reply #350 on: October 06, 2017, 10:35:06 AM »
That Jurich / Pitino story is ridiculous.  I've read a lot about how great an AD that guy is, but if he is so good and worth so much money, how come his program can't make money without University support?

But this is a chronic problem at Louisville, who seems to feel it's appropriate to overpay for everyone.  Their President, for instance, was making 2 1/2 times the average of all other ACC presidents.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/education/2015/07/10/ramseys-pay-dwarfs-others-acc/29974859/

Terrible lack of oversight by the University's governing board.  *That* is ultimately where the problem lies.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #351 on: October 06, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
Slick Rick was set up to pocket Adidas $$? ....the UL situation sounds more and more like a criminal enterprise.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20927320/report-says-rick-pitino-got-98-percent-cash-louisville-current-adidas-deal

https://deadspin.com/rick-pitino-and-tom-jurich-made-ungodly-amounts-of-mone-1819196199

Give Rick a break!  Do you know how hard it was to make ends meet on the crappy salary Louisville was paying him?
Have some patience, FFS.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #352 on: October 06, 2017, 11:44:11 AM »
Give Rick a break!  Do you know how hard it was to make ends meet on the crappy salary Louisville was paying him?
Sounds like Drose when he went to the Knicks for more money because he needed to "provide for his family". Must be a tough life

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #353 on: October 06, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »
Bruce Feldman‏Verified account
@BruceFeldmanCFB
Follow
More
Hearing more indictments are coming in college hoops. Expected to happen within the next two weeks, I'm told.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #354 on: October 06, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »
Reading some locally that UConn is pissed because because Louisville got into the ACC based on fraud.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #355 on: October 06, 2017, 12:23:50 PM »
Reading some locally that UConn is pissed because because Louisville got into the ACC based on fraud.

That's not really accurate though.  Louisville got in because their athletic program as a whole, especially their football team, is better than UConn's.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #356 on: October 06, 2017, 12:39:15 PM »

That's not really accurate though.  Louisville got in because their athletic program as a whole, especially their football team, is better than UConn's.

Also ,at the time that choice was being made, Louisville  was shrewd enough to get their US senators to applied pressure on the ACC to favor Louisville.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

mug644

• All American
« Reply #357 on: October 06, 2017, 12:40:07 PM »

I'm not particularly opinionated about UConn, but I can imagine that there would be a lot of people who might respond to such whining with a comment like, "Mr. Kettle, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Pot."

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #358 on: October 06, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »
I'm not particularly opinionated about UConn, but I can imagine that there would be a lot of people who might respond to such whining with a comment like, "Mr. Kettle, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Pot."

Nailed it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #359 on: October 06, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »
Also ,at the time that choice was being made, Louisville  was shrewd enough to get their US senators to applied pressure on the ACC to favor Louisville.

I think the underlying issue is that UConn fans have an inflated sense of how their program is perceived.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #362 on: October 07, 2017, 07:49:48 AM »
One week out, I'm amazed that we haven't seen more press on the Sean Millers, Bruce Pearls, Etc.   I mean, slick Rick is getting killed in the press, has already been fired and Zona and the rest are out of the lions eye.   I don't get it.  How are these guys keeping jobs.   Why haven't their recruits decommitted?   Why aren't they getting bad press.   Their response  " I'm Shocked" has been the same as Ricks.   I'm calling BS on all of them.   I'm confused??

You're confused by expecting that big changes would happen in one week.  The first round of arrests needs to be worked for a while before the plea deals that net more actors get negotiated.  Assuming, of course, that buying recruits via shoe companies is as prevalent as many suppose.  Does Calipari need to buy players?  He's got that awesome dorm and a great history of getting his guys into the NBA after one year.  Isn't that more important then 100k up front?  Many schools have boosters that are experienced and quite good at funneling lower but still significant amounts of cash to recruits particularly in football.  Those type of payments are pretty much impossible to catch.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #363 on: October 07, 2017, 09:22:55 AM »
One week out, I'm amazed that we haven't seen more press on the Sean Millers, Bruce Pearls, Etc.   I mean, slick Rick is getting killed in the press, has already been fired and Zona and the rest are out of the lions eye.   I don't get it.  How are these guys keeping jobs.   Why haven't their recruits decommitted?   Why aren't they getting bad press.   Their response  " I'm Shocked" has been the same as Ricks.   I'm calling BS on all of them.   I'm confused??

Not to be picky but Pitino has not been fired, at least not yet.  He is not indefinite suspension and I believe he is still being paid. 

So their is a chance Rick does what Rick does best ... slimes through and remains ‘villes head coach (or should I say crime boss).

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #364 on: October 07, 2017, 10:05:24 AM »
Not to be picky but Pitino has not been fired, at least not yet.  He is not indefinite suspension and I believe he is still being paid. 

So their is a chance Rick does what Rick does best ... slimes through and remains ‘villes head coach (or should I say crime boss).

He is on unpaid administrative leave.  Under his contract they couldn't fire him immediately.  They had to have a vote to fire him, which they did.  It was unanimous.  He will never coach another day at Louisville.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #365 on: October 07, 2017, 10:08:40 AM »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #366 on: October 07, 2017, 10:21:49 AM »
He's gone, was sent a letter of termination yesterday..

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2017/10/6/16439002/rick-pitino-louisville-president-greg-postel-letter-termination

Did not see that, thanks.

What are the chances he gets another head coaching job?  I think its above 0% but less than 50% (so I'm saying there is a chance!)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #367 on: October 07, 2017, 10:27:35 AM »

What are the chances he gets another head coaching job?  I think its above 0% but less than 50% (so I'm saying there is a chance!)

In Division 1 college? I think he's done. Maybe he could become an NBA assistant and eventually a head coach again, but I doubt it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #368 on: October 07, 2017, 11:39:33 AM »
That Jurich / Pitino story is ridiculous.  I've read a lot about how great an AD that guy is, but if he is so good and worth so much money, how come his program can't make money without University support?

But this is a chronic problem at Louisville, who seems to feel it's appropriate to overpay for everyone.  Their President, for instance, was making 2 1/2 times the average of all other ACC presidents.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/education/2015/07/10/ramseys-pay-dwarfs-others-acc/29974859/

Terrible lack of oversight by the University's governing board.  *That* is ultimately where the problem lies.

The argument Louisville has made is they aren't really an ACC school academically (true) and even athletically (semi-true) and required higher pay to lure the type of people to the campus to get them to an ACC level.  They've made this argument prior to joining the ACC, but it isn't wholly without some merit.  Louisville was not a well regarded academic institution a 10 to 15 years ago.  They poured considerable resources into athletics and high level positions in an attempt over the long haul to close that gap by making a big splash, recruit nationally, shore up academics and all boats would rise as a result.  That required over payment, at least that has been their argument internally.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #369 on: October 07, 2017, 11:59:28 AM »
The argument Louisville has made is they aren't really an ACC school academically (true) and even athletically (semi-true) and required higher pay to lure the type of people to the campus to get them to an ACC level.  They've made this argument prior to joining the ACC, but it isn't wholly without some merit.  Louisville was not a well regarded academic institution a 10 to 15 years ago.  They poured considerable resources into athletics and high level positions in an attempt over the long haul to close that gap by making a big splash, recruit nationally, shore up academics and all boats would rise as a result.  That required over payment, at least that has been their argument internally.

Did they make similar efforts to improve academics?  No!  Even though they have lower quality faculty and faculty salaries, they froze faculty raise pools to a maximum of 2%. 

The "required over payment" is BS.  It was simply a way to try to justify pouring tons of cash into athletics and to make the power brokers more powerful.  It had nothing to do with performance or academics, indeed it hurt academics.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #370 on: October 08, 2017, 10:14:40 AM »

What are the chances he gets another head coaching job? I think its above 0% but less than 50% (so I'm saying there is a chance!)

0%

Assuming he gets hit with NCAA violations, the NCAA show-cause penalty would essentially make him unhireable.  Even if he didn't have that problem, I doubt he'd need the money bad enough to start over - particularly at his age - at the level of school that would be desparate enough to hire him.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:16:28 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Jay Bee

• All American
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #372 on: October 08, 2017, 12:13:50 PM »
Did they make similar efforts to improve academics?  No!  Even though they have lower quality faculty and faculty salaries, they froze faculty raise pools to a maximum of 2%. 

The "required over payment" is BS.  It was simply a way to try to justify pouring tons of cash into athletics and to make the power brokers more powerful.  It had nothing to do with performance or academics, indeed it hurt academics.

We are in agreement that what they say and what they did are two different things.  They have tried to use athletics to drive the school's brand.  It has worked from a nationally recognized school perspective.  Football has taken an enormous step up in the last 15 years.  Their goal was to have that drive academic progress, too.  That hasn't happened, at least not yet.  In terms of the freeze, how long has that been in effect?  My company also has 2% max freezes that have been going on for at least the last 5 years.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #373 on: October 08, 2017, 12:14:36 PM »
Kenny Johnson was Crean's direct report at I4... hmmmm

Buzz Williams was Crean's direct report at MU.  Pattern?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #374 on: October 08, 2017, 12:16:55 PM »
We are in agreement that what they say and what they did are two different things.  They have tried to use athletics to drive the school's brand.  It has worked from a nationally recognized school perspective.  Football has taken an enormous step up in the last 15 years.  Their goal was to have that drive academic progress, too.  That hasn't happened, at least not yet.  In terms of the freeze, how long has that been in effect?  My company also has 2% max freezes that have been going on for at least the last 5 years.

It has also been going on for 5-years.  I wouldn't have a problem with it if it also applied to administrators/coaches/athletic staff. 

But it doesn't, all those groups are exempt from the salary freezes and have been seeing in some cases double digit gains.

feedback