[Today at 12:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting Day Ahead...  (Read 122883 times)

ZMovieman

• Walk-On
Re: Interesting Day Ahead...
« Reply #250 on: September 27, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »
Hold on to your butts everyone...

https://twitter.com/DarrenHeitner/status/913095940134903815

Sources: Employees of Nike's EYBL grassroots division, along with documents, have been subpoenaed by FBI in furtherance of investigation

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #251 on: September 27, 2017, 12:52:41 PM »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #252 on: September 27, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »
Hold on to your butts everyone...

https://twitter.com/DarrenHeitner/status/913095940134903815

This one is going to be very intriguing. Following the money trail on this one will be a heck of a storyline to follow.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #253 on: September 27, 2017, 12:55:01 PM »
This one is going to be very intriguing. Following the money trail on this one will be a heck of a storyline to follow.

I'm guessing a lot of basketball coaches called their lawyers yesterday.  And didn't sleep too well.  I really hope that none of them are wearing (or have worn) Marquette colors.  But this is going to take a while to play out.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #254 on: September 27, 2017, 01:01:55 PM »
A writer on Twitter mentioned Crean for Louisville saying he was squeaky clean. Doesn't mean a ton, but I'd guess there'd be an inkling from writers if someone was dirty.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #255 on: September 27, 2017, 01:10:13 PM »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #256 on: September 27, 2017, 01:24:37 PM »
There's a great SI article by Michael McCann that offers more detail about the charges and potential impact of the investigation. A few excerpts:

For one, the alleged bribe took place across state lines, meaning the persons travelled to different states or communicated across state lines. Such "interstate" activity triggered the possibility of federal charges for conspiracy, bribery, fraud and other crimes.

Brian Bowen went to high school in Indiana. U of L is in Kentucky. Adidas USA corporate headquarters is in Oregon. So any communication or meetings between Louisville coaches, Adidas representatives and Brian put a payoff in the federal realm.

In addition, the federal government financially supports both public and private universities, including through financial student aid, grants and tax breaks...the Justice Department charges that the coaches and financial advisors conspired to commit bribery through educational programs that receive federal funds.

In essence, bribing Brian Bowen to attend Louisville equates to theft. The coaches (possibly including Pitino) don't have to offer the bribe themselves — but if they're involved in any discussions or meetings, they're part of the conspiracy. They're also charged with wire fraud for using a cell phone in interstate commerce to engage in fraudulent acts.

The defendants allegedly "concealed bribe payments to high school student-athletes and/or their families" in exchange for matriculating to particular universities. By accepting those bribes...the players became ineligible to compete in the NCAA.

Throw in money laundering charges for efforts to make illegal payments seem legitimate. All told, you're talking about maximum sentences ranging from 50 to 80 years in prison. And a recruited player who loses his eligibility as a result could sue the recruiting school.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/26/fbi-corruption-college-basketball-fraud-louisville-bribe
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:28:22 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #257 on: September 27, 2017, 01:26:11 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #258 on: September 27, 2017, 01:34:30 PM »
There's a great SI article by Michael McCann that offers more detail about the charges and potential impact of the investigation. A few excerpts:

For one, the alleged bribe took place across state lines, meaning the persons travelled to different states or communicated across state lines. Such "interstate" activity triggered the possibility of federal charges for conspiracy, bribery, fraud and other crimes.

Brian Bowen went to high school in Indiana. U of L is in Kentucky. Adidas USA corporate headquarters is in Oregon. So any communication or meetings between Louisville coaches, Adidas representatives and Brian put a payoff in the federal realm.

In addition, the federal government financially supports both public and private universities, including through financial student aid, grants and tax breaks...the Justice Department charges that the coaches and financial advisors conspired to commit bribery through educational programs that receive federal funds.

In essence, bribing Brian Bowen to attend Louisville equates to theft. The coaches (possibly including Pitino) don't have to offer the bribe themselves — but if they're involved in any discussions or meetings, they're part of the conspiracy. They're also charged with wire fraud for using a cell phone in interstate commerce to engage in fraudulent acts.

The defendants allegedly "concealed bribe payments to high school student-athletes and/or their families" in exchange for matriculating to particular universities. By accepting those bribes...the players became ineligible to compete in the NCAA.

Throw in money laundering charges for efforts to make illegal payments seem legitimate. All told, you're talking about maximum sentences ranging from 50 to 80 years in prison. And a recruited player who loses his eligibility as a result could sue the recruiting school.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/26/fbi-corruption-college-basketball-fraud-louisville-bribe

Thanks for the link.  That is really the first article I've seen that laid things out that clearly.

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #259 on: September 27, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »
Can't see how anyone but Crean isn't named interim coach. Louisville can't name an interim coach from the current staff.

Ah yes, the bewildering and rare triple negative.  Impressive.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #260 on: September 27, 2017, 01:48:36 PM »
But there are two things going on here:  obvious and blatant NCAA violations and violations of the law.  I'm merely asking questions.  Even if they gave the kid a t-shirt, they'd tell him to "keep in on the DL."  Because they were already on probation and they don't want more trouble with the NCAA. 

But is it illegal?  That's what I'm asking?  If Adidas paid this kid money, did Pitino break the law?  One of the main reasons I'm asking is that based on my understanding of what happened yesterday (which may be wrong---that's why I'm asking) the people who got arrested were involved in taking bribes to steer NBA-bound college players; not for paying recruits (even though at least one did both).  I find myself wondering why the Louisville coach who apparently is on video making these arrangements and asking that they be kept "on the DL" was not arrested.  He seemed concerned about the NCAA and the probation, not the FBI.

Again, I'm only asking.

Edited to add:  I am aware that if Adidas broke the law and Pitino was aware of and/or involved in it, he is probably screwed on conspiracy.  But he might have plausible deniability.  That might not be good enough under his contract depending upon how language quoted up-thread is interpreted.  But it might keep him out of the FBI's net...for now.

A person in a position of authority who orchestrates a payment of $100,000 to an impressionable teenager (or his family) and then tells them not to include it on their tax return (or do anything else that would raise suspicion), you better believe that's illegal.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #261 on: September 27, 2017, 02:26:08 PM »
A person in a position of authority who orchestrates a payment of $100,000 to an impressionable teenager (or his family) and then tells them not to include it on their tax return (or do anything else that would raise suspicion), you better believe that's illegal.

Yeah, I suspect you're right.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #262 on: September 27, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »
A writer on Twitter mentioned Crean for Louisville saying he was squeaky clean. Doesn't mean a ton, but I'd guess there'd be an inkling from writers if someone was dirty.

This one from Crean's IU days was very squirmy...

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6587669

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #263 on: September 27, 2017, 03:08:20 PM »
Maybe if you were an employed American in the United States with a real career these types of comments would not come out?

PS- Myles Turner... 2013 http://latenighthoops.com/ny2la-spring-2013-mn/#.WcsR_VtSzIU

You are our resident law & order guy and you are close to the AAU basketball scene.

How much did you know of these crooked dealings? What rumblings did you hear? Did you report anything that didn't sound like it was on the up and up?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #264 on: September 27, 2017, 03:09:07 PM »
Crean was never squeaky clean, no matter what Chico's said.  Lots of squirmy there. Crean  to Louisville is interesting.  On the one hand, does he want to jump back in the game this soon to a program that potentially could face the death penalty?  If so, will he have an 'interim' next to his name?  Or does he want to take the year off, let the dust settle, and swoop in late next spring?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #265 on: September 27, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »
Don't know if it was posted here yet, but ESPN 100 prospects Anfernee Simons and Courtney Ramey both decommitted from Louisville today.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #266 on: September 27, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
Would Crean want the job now?  Does he forego Indiana buyout dollars if he gets another job this quickly?

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #267 on: September 27, 2017, 03:26:05 PM »
Haven't seen his name posted, but Thad Matta is another possibility.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #268 on: September 27, 2017, 03:26:23 PM »
A couple things:

Perhaps people are very generous...they were understood to be gifts.
I believe the greatest ability that humans have is self justification.
These are gifts, so they would not be income would fall into this category.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #269 on: September 27, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »
Crean sucks
Even more, if he becomes coach of Louisville.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #270 on: September 27, 2017, 03:36:08 PM »

Honest question:  Did Reggie Bush -- just the most prominent example I can think of -- get in trouble for tax issues?  Did he pay taxes?  Did he claim that those were gifts?  I honestly don't know, and haven't been able to quickly find the answer.  Wondering if anyone else knows.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #271 on: September 27, 2017, 03:47:46 PM »

Except there is a limit to how much you can receive as a gift.  $100,000 is well over the yearly limit.

"Totally separate from the lifetime gift exemption amount is the annual gift tax exclusion amount. It’s $14,000 for 2017, stuck at that level since 2013. You can give away $14,000 to as many individuals as you’d like. A husband and wife can each make $14,000 gifts. So a couple could make $14,000 gifts to each of their four grandchildren, for a total of $112,000. The annual exclusion gifts don’t count towards the lifetime gift exemption. Stuffing 529 college savings accounts or funding a gift trust are two ways to prepare your heirs for college."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaebeling/2016/10/25/irs-announces-2017-estate-and-gift-tax-limits-the-11-million-tax-break/#3a76e8443b70

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #272 on: September 27, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »
Except there is a limit to how much you can receive as a gift.  $100,000 is well over the yearly limit.

"Totally separate from the lifetime gift exemption amount is the annual gift tax exclusion amount. It’s $14,000 for 2017, stuck at that level since 2013. You can give away $14,000 to as many individuals as you’d like. A husband and wife can each make $14,000 gifts. So a couple could make $14,000 gifts to each of their four grandchildren, for a total of $112,000. The annual exclusion gifts don’t count towards the lifetime gift exemption. Stuffing 529 college savings accounts or funding a gift trust are two ways to prepare your heirs for college."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaebeling/2016/10/25/irs-announces-2017-estate-and-gift-tax-limits-the-11-million-tax-break/#3a76e8443b70

I don't think you are correct.  The gift giver pays the tax, not the recipient.  The limit you're citing is the limit that the giver can gift without paying taxes.  I believe that there is no limit to the amount that can be received.  So, this would be an issue for the people who payed the athlete's family, and not necessarily for the family.  At least that's the potential argument.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #273 on: September 27, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »
Surprise, surprise, hey?

1 hour ago – via USA Today Sports
As the college basketball world was shaken by the FBI indictments and Rick Pitino’s ousting at Louisville, Beasley spoke out on the corrupt culture in college basketball. Beasley was a top-5 recruit out of high school who chose to go to college in Manhattan, Kan., without ever visiting the school during his recruitment. This was what he had to say on Wednesday, even adding that he’s personally responsible for the population growth in Manhattan, Kan. He said via Mike Vorkunov: “Man, you guys are just catching on. And that’s all I gotta say.
 Coaching, FIBA, High School, Law, Louisville, NCAA, Rick Pitino, Michael Beasley, New York Knicks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #274 on: September 27, 2017, 04:08:43 PM »
Surprise, surprise, hey?

1 hour ago – via USA Today Sports
As the college basketball world was shaken by the FBI indictments and Rick Pitino’s ousting at Louisville, Beasley spoke out on the corrupt culture in college basketball. Beasley was a top-5 recruit out of high school who chose to go to college in Manhattan, Kan., without ever visiting the school during his recruitment. This was what he had to say on Wednesday, even adding that he’s personally responsible for the population growth in Manhattan, Kan. He said via Mike Vorkunov: “Man, you guys are just catching on. And that’s all I gotta say.
 Coaching, FIBA, High School, Law, Louisville, NCAA, Rick Pitino, Michael Beasley, New York Knicks

Any way to retroactively bump us up a seed line?

feedback