[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by swoopem
[Today at 11:59:16 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting Day Ahead...  (Read 122874 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Interesting Day Ahead...
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2017, 09:39:50 AM »

Reading on other boards that Pitino currently has an $18 million buyout that can only be negated by an NCAA violation, which this would not be. The rumor mill says his lawyer is not going to give up easy, Rick will walk but wants to be paid the entire buyout.

Posturing, obviously.  And everyone on both sides of the negotiation knows it.  Pitino will accept something less, and Louisville will gladly pay it.  But it wouldn't be to surprising if it was in the eight-figure range.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2017, 09:41:58 AM »
The Louisville board is a trip.  Someone posted the FBI tip line number and encouraged people to call in:  "I know several who have called just to complain about the ‘other programs’ like UK and Kansas along with Nike. Maybe if they get enough calls about Anthony Davis, they won’t be able to ignore it."

A more level headed poster is trying to explain that calling the FBI's tip line to report vague accusations about rivals is probably not the smartest idea.  But some of them don't seem to understand that logic.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2017, 09:50:22 AM »

Reading on other boards that Pitino currently has an $18 million buyout that can only be negated by an NCAA violation, which this would not be. The rumor mill says his lawyer is not going to give up easy, Rick will walk but wants to be paid the entire buyout.

It is not one yet, because the NCAA has yet to take action on any of this.  What they are accused of though is most definitely an NCAA violation.  Pitino's negotiating leverage here is poor.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:13:33 AM by forgetful »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2017, 09:56:50 AM »
Wouldn't there be a 'firing for cause' clause in any contract?  I mean seriously if Rick committed a crime where he was going to jail eventually trump (no pun intended) some NCAA T-shirt violation?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »
And I actually think Crean just might get a call.  He's actually good at rebuilds and UL is going to be in tatters when this is done.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2017, 09:59:45 AM »
It is to one yet, because the NCAA has yet to take action on any of this.  What they are accused of though is most definitely an NCAA violation.  Pitino's negotiating leverage here is poor.

It depends entirely on the language of the agreement.  I'd be surprised if the language allowed Louisville off the hook for a rumored violation that has not even been cited by the NCAA yet (no matter how strong the alleged evidence behind the rumor might be).  I'd think that a decent buyout provision in a contract would require at the very least an formal charge by NCAA, if not an actual finding.  Louisville wants to get rid of him now without waiting for that process to even begin, much less run its course.  While I agree that Pitino's negotiating leverage would be poor in the long run, I suspect the urgency that Louisville is feeling today has significantly increased his leverage.  He's going to get paid.  Louisville looked the other way in the past, which greatly increases the urgency of their situation now.  They made a mess, and now it's going to cost them.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »

So this is good news for Rick.  He goes from making several million a year to recruit and coach tempermental teenagers and young adults in a hyper competitive environment to taking 18 million (less lawyer's fees) to go shopping for throughbreds for his horse farm.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:54:34 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »
Wouldn't there be a 'firing for cause' clause in any contract?  I mean seriously if Rick committed a crime where he was going to jail eventually trump (no pun intended) some NCAA T-shirt violation?

My guess is that Pitino absolutely has plausible deniability that will prevent him from ever facing jail time (unless someone flips on him -- a distinct possibility).  While lack of institutional control might be a big deal to the NCAA, it probably doesn't get you charged with crimes.  Unless Pitino's contract is a total piece of crap, a just cause provision probably wouldn't apply to things that might happen in the future.  They want to fire him today.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
My guess is that Pitino absolutely has plausible deniability that will prevent him from ever facing jail time (unless someone flips on him -- a distinct possibility).  While lack of institutional control might be a big deal to the NCAA, it probably doesn't get you charged with crimes.  Unless Pitino's contract is a total piece of crap, a just cause provision probably wouldn't apply to things that might happen in the future.  They want to fire him today.

You make a good point about the 'right now' part of this. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #184 on: September 27, 2017, 10:05:34 AM »
According to Pat Forde, Pitino just arrived to a meeting at the administration building.  The SUV he arrived in is idling outside.  In other words, like the ADs meeting earlier this morning, Pitino apparently doesn't expect it to be a long meeting.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #185 on: September 27, 2017, 10:06:58 AM »
According to Pat Forde, Pitino just arrived to a meeting at the administration building.  The SUV he arrived in is idling outside.  In other words, like the ADs meeting earlier this morning, Pitino apparently doesn't expect it to be a long meeting.

And, apparently it was another five-minute meeting.  Gotta think Pitino just got the axe.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2017, 10:09:51 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Pitino faces a lawsuit from Louisville challenging the buyout and asking for damages due to the hit the university will take (in both revenue and reputation). I don't see the administration just cutting him a check if he's involved in the player payoff.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Goose

• All American
« Reply #187 on: September 27, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »
Again, I am not going to relish or gloat over the NCAA findings. I hope this all goes away ASAP. IMO, you would be very hard pressed to not find many, many programs that are breaking the rules. Granted, there are degrees of cheating, but cheating is cheating. NCAA has turned their back on way too much for decades. There are a lot of nervous folks out there today.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #188 on: September 27, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Pitino faces a lawsuit from Louisville challenging the buyout and asking for damages due to the hit the university will take (in both revenue and reputation). I don't see the administration just cutting him a check if he's involved in the player payoff.

I wouldn't be surprised either.  But, then again, I'd characterize that in the same way:  posturing.  Both sides are going to pound the table, threaten (and maybe even file) lawsuits...and then announce that they've resolved their differences.  In other words, they'll negotiate a payment that is lower than whatever the contractual buyout is and quietly slink of into the night.  And a couple law firms will be very, very pleased about how things played out.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #189 on: September 27, 2017, 10:14:46 AM »
Both Jurich and Pitino have been fired. Presser at noon.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #190 on: September 27, 2017, 10:15:21 AM »
... and here comes the other shoe to drop for the named schools.

ESPN 100 recruit E.J. Montgomery decommits from Auburn
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/20835897/auburn-tigers-recruit-ej-montgomery-decommits

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #191 on: September 27, 2017, 10:15:42 AM »
It depends entirely on the language of the agreement.  I'd be surprised if the language allowed Louisville off the hook for a rumored violation that has not even been cited by the NCAA yet (no matter how strong the alleged evidence behind the rumor might be).  I'd think that a decent buyout provision in a contract would require at the very least an formal charge by NCAA, if not an actual finding.  Louisville wants to get rid of him now without waiting for that process to even begin, much less run its course.  While I agree that Pitino's negotiating leverage would be poor in the long run, I suspect the urgency that Louisville is feeling today has significantly increased his leverage.  He's going to get paid.  Louisville looked the other way in the past, which greatly increases the urgency of their situation now.  They made a mess, and now it's going to cost them.

Legally, I think they can fire him for cause with this FBI investigation, citing pending NCAA charges.  With that language, if they do give him a buyout now, the moment the NCAA files a formal charge, they could sue and win back any buyout. 

I'm sure when they are negotiating a buyout, Louisville attorneys make clear that if he doesn't accept a small buyout, that anything he gets they will get back with a lawsuit when this all falls down.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #192 on: September 27, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
So, what schools are going to be tourney banned by the time the season starts sensing that what we've seen so far is the tip of the iceberg?

Maybe we need a new recruiting style thread with a hit list!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2017, 10:18:06 AM »
jsglow

There will be a recruiting hit list needed. Going to be a lot of action in upcoming days/weeks.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2017, 10:20:43 AM »
You don't get a moniker like "Slick" without reason.  Was he looking ahead to a day like yesterday when he made that tweet about how lucky he was with the Bowen commitment?  If he can make the argument that Addidas gave Bowen's family the cash without his knowledge to get Bowen started on the Adidas train then maybe he's in the clear.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2017, 10:24:01 AM »
Is it possible that Louisville could avoid the buyout by citing the NCAA violation over the hookers - which just came down this summer? 

Hmm, I imagine we will be seeing Slick Rick often in the stands at Williams Arena this winter...
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2017, 10:26:45 AM »
Legally, I think they can fire him for cause with this FBI investigation, citing pending NCAA charges.  With that language, if they do give him a buyout now, the moment the NCAA files a formal charge, they could sue and win back any buyout.

I'm sure when they are negotiating a buyout, Louisville attorneys make clear that if he doesn't accept a small buyout, that anything he gets they will get back with a lawsuit when this all falls down.

All of that depends on the language of the contract.  It may be publicly available; I have no idea.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2017, 10:28:56 AM »
This is only the beginning. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #198 on: September 27, 2017, 10:29:36 AM »
jsglow

There will be a recruiting hit list needed. Going to be a lot of action in upcoming days/weeks.
I wonder how many recruits will be declared ineligible?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #199 on: September 27, 2017, 10:29:40 AM »
The Louisville Courier-Journal states that firing him for "just cause" has now become a more plausible option. Pitino's contract language reportedly includes:

"Employee is presumed to be responsible for the actions of all assistant coaches and administrators who report, directly or indirectly, to him. Employee shall promote an atmosphere of compliance, academic integrity, and ethical conduct within his program and shall monitor the activities of all assistant coaches and administrators involved with the program who report, directly or indirectly, to him."

He's not talking his way out of this one. Dealing with the FBI and federal charges is a big step up from dealing with NCAA guidelines. Slick Rick could see prison time.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2017/09/26/louisville-basketball-coach-rick-pitino-adidas-scandal-college-basketball/704604001/
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

feedback