[Today at 12:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting Day Ahead...  (Read 122885 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Interesting Day Ahead...
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2017, 07:02:11 PM »
it is really tempting to have some schadenfreude with this announcement . However, in general I don't believe it is good for college basketball over all.  I am hoping that after the initial burst of negative publicity the sport can get focused on what is happening on the court.

Having spent a fair amount of family time being involved in college athletics and seeing the making of the recruiting sausage up close and personal , I can't say I am surprised.  In some respects , MU may be better able to compete in the future as some of the competition is disarmed. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2017, 07:04:48 PM »
I love Pitino's statement, pure gold. For comedy's sake, I hope he coaches this season, and more stuff pops up, and he just keeps denying, absolutely hilarious.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2017, 07:05:19 PM »
This one smells really, really bad. It has the potential when the investigation is done to bring down most of the major college basketball powers in the United States. The problem is that college basketball went from a winter diversion for universities to a "make-or-break" sport that fueled university relevance.

I indeed hope some of the game's biggest names, UK, Villanova, Kansas, Texas, Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Syracuse, Florida, UCLA, Duke even us., are clean. The ramifications if they aren't are too bad to think of.

God, I hope this does not  touch us but I am legitimately worried about the Hillbilly years. There was some well-known monkey business that was cleaned up behind the scenes.  As bad as that was, only God knows what would happen if the same problems Loserville had somehow found their way to our corner of the world.

Look for some major changes in college basketball in the coming years. It has to be. Not sure what they will be yet, but something has to change or the game will go down the tubes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2017, 07:09:18 PM »
Herman my man...I kinda agree with you here.

I see that UK guys are already creating t-shirts about Pitino, but I'm not sure spiking the ball here is a good idea.  I have a feeling this **could** be the beginning of the end of college sponsored, amateur sports as we know it.  This is what happens when the money gets too big and one of the parties responsible for the bigness of the money doesn't get adequate compensation.

This may open the door for Congressional action as well.  Athletic income is now taxable?  Perhaps.

I mean, if this takes down multiple blue bloods, I'm not sure the sport can recover to where it was before.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2017, 07:21:18 PM »
Herman my man...I kinda agree with you here.

I see that UK guys are already creating t-shirts about Pitino, but I'm not sure spiking the ball here is a good idea.  I have a feeling this **could** be the beginning of the end of college sponsored, amateur sports as we know it.  This is what happens when the money gets too big and one of the parties responsible for the bigness of the money doesn't get adequate compensation.

This may open the door for Congressional action as well.  Athletic income is now taxable?  Perhaps.

I mean, if this takes down multiple blue bloods, I'm not sure the sport can recover to where it was before.

If it means MU wins multiple national Championships because of it...I'm okay with that.  :)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2017, 07:24:10 PM »
This is not even scratching the surface of the problem. There are probably a lot of coaches, AD's and university presidents sweating things that it at the moment. That said, this far from a new issue. The NCAA has allowed a great of under the table actions to occur for decades. At this point, I hope that the investigation is complete and no further programs are outed.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2017, 07:32:30 PM »
I bet recruiting is squeaky clean now short term, possibly helps Wojo with Grimes

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2017, 08:03:55 PM »
https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2017/9/26/16371360/fbi-sting-operation-assistant-coach-arrests-scandal

You beat me by about 2 minutes to post this. It pretty much sums up my feelings on this whole thing, especially since it looks like the storm clouds should miss MU.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewnewsman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2017, 08:08:49 PM »
Interesting tweet from CBS radio host @BrandonTierney:

"When #BigEast expanded to 16 tms in '05-'06, I remember handing a coach a pen/asked him to circle teams that did NOT cheat: he circled 3."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2017, 08:31:25 PM »
This is not even scratching the surface of the problem. There are probably a lot of coaches, AD's and university presidents sweating things that it at the moment. That said, this far from a new issue. The NCAA has allowed a great of under the table actions to occur for decades. At this point, I hope that the investigation is complete and no further programs are outed.

Totally agree, and my fear is many of the sealed cases relate to NCAA program investigations. Not good for college bball unless it ends here/soon and maybe deters things in the future. #BitCoin
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2017, 09:00:47 PM »
Maybe, if they would allow athletes to be paid from the getgo, this wouldn't be an issue... :-X

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2017, 09:27:08 PM »
Can anybody say World Wide Wes? Isn't this the definition of what he has been doing for two decades strong?
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »
Maybe, if they would allow athletes to be paid from the getgo, this wouldn't be an issue... :-X

You honestly think a "stipend" would stop 6 figure bribes to high school kids? Got knows how much the 5* get AFTER they get to campus. Get real.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2017, 09:36:20 PM »
There is a way to regulate this ... the NCAA.  Where is the NCAA on this?  If they cannot handle this, why have NCAA investigations?

Resource constraints, so subpoena power, many other reasons. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2017, 09:39:10 PM »
You honestly think a "stipend" would stop 6 figure bribes to high school kids? Got knows how much the 5* get AFTER they get to campus. Get real.

That's why they should let them profit off their likeness...no measly sum there
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2017, 09:49:07 PM »
The plot thickens:

Darren Heitner @DarrenHeitner
Sources: Basketball agency ASM Sports was raided today. FBI had warrant, took Andy Miller's computer.

Miller is an agent whose client list includes Kyle Lowry, Serge Ibaka, Dwight Howard, Kristaps Porzingis and Myles Turner.

Myles Turner went to Texas. Nice!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2017, 09:50:56 PM »

Maybe if you were an employed American in the United States with a real career these types of comments would not come out?

PS- Myles Turner... 2013 http://latenighthoops.com/ny2la-spring-2013-mn/#.WcsR_VtSzIU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2017, 09:57:01 PM »
Dan Wolken‏Verified account @DanWolken  4h4 hours ago
Rick Pitino is the most successful person in history who never knows anything important

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2017, 10:02:37 PM »
https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2017/9/26/16371360/fbi-sting-operation-assistant-coach-arrests-scandal

Yeah this pretty much nails it.  With this much money involved, and a significant number of people aren't getting their fair share (as determined by the marketplace), this is going to happen. 

Let them profit off their own likeness.  If you can cap it then cap it.  If you want to run it through the schools, then do that.  If you want to place the money in escrow and limit withdrawls until they leave the school, then try that too.

But complete amateurism is dead.  And probably has been for awhile.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2017, 10:04:59 PM »

Yeah this pretty much nails it.  With this much money involved, and a significant number of people aren't getting their fair share (as determined by the marketplace), this is going to happen. 

Let them profit off their own likeness.  If you can cap it then cap it.  If you want to run it through the schools, then do that.  If you want to place the money in escrow and limit withdrawls until they leave the school, then try that too.

That will fix it 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2017, 10:05:10 PM »
Maybe if you were an employed American in the United States with a real career these types of comments would not come out?

PS- Myles Turner... 2013 http://latenighthoops.com/ny2la-spring-2013-mn/#.WcsR_VtSzIU

We get it, you're soooooo important and gods gift to earth, and "kids these days" should just shut up, take their licks, and not question authority because they're not worthy of receiving appropriate compensation.

Even those here who agree with you, and don't think players should be paid, think they should be able to profit off their own likeness.

Or something like that.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:10:37 PM by ChitownGrimes »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2017, 10:05:22 PM »

Completely disagree.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2017, 10:10:11 PM »
We get it, you're soooooo important and gods gift to earth, and "kids these days" should just shut up, take their licks, and not question authority because they're not worthy of receiving appropriate compensation.

Or something like that.

Why are you talking about me being important and gods gift to earth? I just pointed out that you, by your own admission, were living in a foreign country and were having trouble finding low paying jobs. Stop making it into more than it is. The topic is minimal (you).

Prospective student athletes should only agree to contracts they wish to engage in, just like any other adult. Simple. If they don't like it, don't do it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2017, 10:12:40 PM »
That will fix it 

It doesn't deserve to be fixed.  It's a sham.