[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Utah nurse arrested  (Read 16367 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Utah nurse arrested
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 12:13:33 PM »
I'm sure one of our attorney friends can say more but the imposition of a financial penalty on the department and the officer is intended to alter behavior going forward.  Isn't that the intended objective?  One could argue that the officer actually committed a crime and should face criminal prosecution. Not sure that's necessarily appropriate in the same way cops inb the field mitigate situations where no formal charge becomes necessary.

The bolded is the bottom line.  He did commit a crime.  Charge him.  Let the union work for him keeping his job, let the union pay for his attorney in defending him in criminal prosecution, if they so choose.  That is one of the purpose of unions.

But don't ignore the law.  They are not above the law.  Arrest him and charge him with assault and unlawful detention.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 12:54:22 PM »
Where does reasonable compensation for an injustice end and "winning lottery ticket" begin?

Very good question. For me, reasonable compensation would be in seeing that those who abused their authority/broke the law were properly punished. It appears as if the nurse in this case agrees with me. I wouldn't feel entitled to a check as a condition of "justice".

OTOH, I agree that sometimes "pain and suffering" is egregious enough to merit monetary compensation - I just feel that those cases should be the exception, not the rule. Maybe I'm uninformed and they already are, but that's not the impression I get.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 01:10:59 PM »
Very good question. For me, reasonable compensation would be in seeing that those who abused their authority/broke the law were properly punished. It appears as if the nurse in this case agrees with me. I wouldn't feel entitled to a check as a condition of "justice".

OTOH, I agree that sometimes "pain and suffering" is egregious enough to merit monetary compensation - I just feel that those cases should be the exception, not the rule. Maybe I'm uninformed and they already are, but that's not the impression I get.

I don't know. It wasn't a rhetorical question. But I do believe that in many cases -  more often than the exception, I suppose - victims of misdeeds deserve compensation beyond just seeing a perpetrator punished.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »
The guy in this case was a reserve policeman, who was struck in a DD accident (he was the victim), and the Idaho police are now thanking the nurse.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/state/idaho/article170972442.html

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »
Both are licensed by the state. If she violates the law, her license is lost for life. If he does, he is put on paid administrative leave. Nurses know to document everything. Every decision is life or death.

Don't ever eff with a nurse. She won't let go until arrests are made as they should be. Multiple laws broken.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »
Both are licensed by the state. If she violates the law, her license is lost for life. If he does, he is put on paid administrative leave. Nurses know to document everything. Every decision is life or death.

Don't ever eff with a nurse. She won't let go until arrests are made as they should be. Multiple laws broken.

Got that right brother!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »
I don't know. It wasn't a rhetorical question. But I do believe that in many cases -  more often than the exception, I suppose - victims of misdeeds deserve compensation beyond just seeing a perpetrator punished.

I agree that it's a case by case basis - and we'd probably agree most of the time. Maybe not on the margins, but most of the time.

Regarding this case, I think monetary compensation isn't warranted. To her credit (IMO) the nurse apparently agrees.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2017, 08:36:15 PM »
I'm curious what the response would be if a nurse grabbed a cop for no justifiable reason and held him hostage in her car.  Jail time?

Why should this be any different?  One could argue for leniency if he was doing his job appropriately...but in this case, he was so far out of bounds that any idiot could see that what he did was wrong.

So again, why not give him the same punishment they'd give a nurse for shoving a cop around and imprisoning him for 20 minutes?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2017, 10:08:23 PM »
Interesting piece of trivia about the nurse in question ...

https://everipedia.org/wiki/alexandra-shaffer-wubbels-nurse-alpine-skier/

Alexandra "Alex" Luise Shaffer Wubbels (b. January 23rd, 1976) is an American Head Nurse and former Alpine skier who competed in the 1998 Winter Olympics and the 2002 Winter Olympics. She was the subject of a video that went viral in September 2017 where she is arrested after refusing to give a Police officer blood vials of an unconscious patient.​

In the year 1990, she moved to Utah from Colorado to ski and be educated at the Rowmark Academy of Salt Lake City. She was later named to the U.S. Ski Team and competed in the 1998 and 2002 Winter Olympics​.

Her husband is Olympic skier Cory Wubbels.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:10:32 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2017, 02:36:42 AM »
I don't believe the "no interest in $"... time will tell. #CharacterRevealed?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2017, 08:25:24 AM »
I don't believe the "no interest in $"... time will tell. #CharacterRevealed?

Would it be of higher character to not go after the PD on this?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »
Would it be of higher character to not go after the PD on this?

a) Fine to "go after them" as in demanding they address the situation internally and bringing light to the mater (which she has done).

b) Fine to "go after them" as courts allow for civil damages.

c) Not fine to indicate you are not going to seek civil damages, get praise from folks for it, and then get a big payday.

We're through with a). Now it's a question of whether c) will occur.

Both are licensed by the state. If she violates the law, her license is lost for life.

Sounds like hyperbole. I think back to a hero of this board, Dr. Dao, the drug running, male prostitute hiring guy who fought with cops in a United airplane. He had lost his medical license... but later had it provisionally reinstated.

------------

In this case... I could see a cop being upset about not getting the blood... if he had reason to believe the person may have been under the influence and involved in a significant road accident. Now, he should have gone the proper route to obtain the blood, but I can understand a level of frustration he may have been feeling.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2017, 11:33:16 AM »

In this case... I could see a cop being upset about not getting the blood... if he had reason to believe the person may have been under the influence and involved in a significant road accident. Now, he should have gone the proper route to obtain the blood, but I can understand a level of frustration he may have been feeling.

You are saying that you understand the cop's frustration that he had to follow the law.

And, without knowing what the victim is going to do, you don't take her word for it.  Just because she is 1) not an abusive pig, and 2) she is a women, afterall - you question her motives.

Interesting take from such a law & order proponent.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2017, 12:01:05 PM »
You are saying that you understand the cop's frustration that he had to follow the law.

And, without knowing what the victim is going to do, you don't take her word for it.  Just because she is 1) not an abusive pig, and 2) she is a women, afterall - you question her motives.

Interesting take from such a law & order proponent.

Come on Jockey,  the pig comment is unnecessary
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2017, 12:25:28 PM »

Sort of. I can imagine someone being at the scene of an awful accident and perhaps having reason to believe one or more of the drivers involved were driving illegally... then, you get to the hospital and because the person isn't able to respond to your questions, you need a warrant.

Frustrated at red tape - albeit probably very important in THIS particular case - is understandable.

I'm not saying the cop isn't at fault or didn't act poorly -- just saying I can rationalize other reasons why he'd be frustrated / acting like a jagoff other than him just being "a devil pig" as you'd think of him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2017, 12:30:51 PM »
"Red tape?"  It's a Constitutional right.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2017, 12:39:09 PM »
There's no way I'm willing to just assume this is a passing instance for this guy or probably this department. Jockey's language is counterproductive, but an officer doesn't act that brazenly if he's used to following the law, respecting the 4th Amendment, or understanding his role as a public servant. This isn't just red tape here, its a complete disrespect for the constitutional rights of the people he is publicly funded to serve.

Not to get overly political, but with examples like these, I'd really like to see police and fire unions no longer exempted from legislation checking public sector unions.That would lead to a much more honest conversation about those unions and about the checks and balances on law enforcement.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2017, 12:44:42 PM »
"Red tape?"  It's a Constitutional right.

What is a constitutional right?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »
What is a constitutional right?

You need a warrant to collect blood without permission.  It's a violation of the 4th Amendment otherwise.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2017, 02:49:03 PM »
Come on Jockey,  the pig comment is unnecessary

I understand your point TAMU, but I was referring just to this cop - not police in general.

I think "pig" is a great word for men who abuse women.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2017, 02:51:24 PM »
Sort of. I can imagine someone being at the scene of an awful accident and perhaps having reason to believe one or more of the drivers involved were driving illegally... then, you get to the hospital and because the person isn't able to respond to your questions, you need a warrant.

Frustrated at red tape - albeit probably very important in THIS particular case - is understandable.

I'm not saying the cop isn't at fault or didn't act poorly -- just saying I can rationalize other reasons why he'd be frustrated / acting like a jagoff other than him just being "a devil pig" as you'd think of him.

We will just disagree then. I can rationalize NO reason why a cop should abuse a women out of frustration. Ever.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2017, 04:52:42 PM »
We will just disagree then. I can rationalize NO reason why a cop should abuse a women out of frustration. Ever.

Agree.  I'd extend it to there being no reason for a cop to abuse any person merely out of frustration. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2017, 06:24:19 PM »
Lots of broad brushes here. On all sides. Makes arguing easier.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2017, 07:03:42 PM »
Lots of broad brushes here. On all sides. Makes arguing easier.

ND sucks

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2017, 07:13:25 PM »
Agree.  I'd extend it to there being no reason for a cop to abuse any person merely out of frustration.

Abuse meaning...?

feedback