collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things to do in San Francisco?  (Read 3025 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Things to do in San Francisco?
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »
My hurling team is going to San Fran for the North American Hurling championships. Any suggestions for off the beaten path food? Bars? Sights? Etc
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:40:41 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Things to do in San Francisco?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »
The Alcatraz tour is worth it.  Cool views of the city from on the island.  Bike over the Golden Gate Bridge.  AT&T Park is worth getting to.  Lombard Street.  Chinatown for some food.  Fisherman's Wharf.  Ghirardelli for a sundae and you can keep walking in and out of the store and getting a free piece of chocolate each time.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:31:12 AM by QuentinsWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 11:27:53 AM »
My hurling team is going to San Fran for the North American Hurling championships. Any suggestions for off the beaten path food? Bars? Sights? Etc

Mission Chinese
Tartine Bakery

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:36:59 AM »

Trouble Coffee for cinnamon toast. And coffee.

Nopalito near Golden Gate Park is a good Mexican spot.

Golden Boy Pizza and Molinari Deli in North Beach.

Tartine Bakery in the Mission.

4505 BBQ on Divisadero is ok, too. Not Texas or KC-level, but still decent.

Hiking is good around Twin Peaks or the Presidio if you're not too worn out from hurling. And cosign on the Alcatraz tour--the audio companion is a must. Incredibly well-designed and fascinating. The botanical garden at Golden Gate Park is pleasant to stroll through.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:40:03 AM by Cooby Snacks »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 02:06:08 PM »
May want to check out this thread from a few months ago.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=54312

Here's what I said then:
My favorite thing in SF was doing an all-day electric bike tour through a company called Streets of San Francisco. We hit a ton of areas that are great for passing through with a guide giving you a rundown, but would have been impossible to do on our own. Electric bikes means you don't have to worry about hills or getting tired. Highly recommend. Also gets you plenty of views of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Fisherman's Wharf may be touristy, but it's not as bad as Navy Pier, and they still have great chowder at a lot of places. Grab some at a stand and find a bench or picnic table.

Maybe the best burrito of my life at La Taqueria in the Mission District. Be sure to get it grilled.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 06:17:22 PM »

Who can barf the farthest? 

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 06:27:11 PM »
You're going with a hurling team so I assume you boys are looking for great off-the-beaten-path drinkin' holes. Luckily for you, there are a handful all within a few blocks of each other in North Beach:

*Vesuvio Cafe (Kerouac used to drink here, very old school San Francisco)
*Specs' Twelve Adler (super cool bar with lots of old museum-like crap)
*Mr. Bing's (an excellent true dive)
*The Saloon (divey old jazz club)

Cheers.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
Don't stand in any buffet lines, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 09:08:37 PM »
Don't stand in any buffet lines, hey?

I laughed out loud....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 09:30:40 PM »
I highly recommend leaving your heart there.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 10:41:35 PM »
I was there a couple of months ago

I recommend spending a lot of time in the mission district for a good authentic SF feel and good bars/food.
Here are a few places I hit

-zeitgeist - cool bar with a good beer list and huge outdoor beer garden. Cash only (mission)

I went to a couple of other bars in the mission but can't remember them... but there are tons of good options there.

-taqueria la cumbre- good late night burritos (mission)

-La Taqueria- really well known burrito place that lives up to the hype. Expect to wait a while in line (mission)

-Hi Dive Bar- good locals place on the water in the (south beach) neighborhood. Good simple place for grub and drinks.

-Elsy's - right next door to La Taqueria. Unbelievably good papusa's (Salvadoran food) (mission)

-Chinatown is interesting and pretty big and I'd recommend it if you've never seen anything like that. I'm spoiled with really good authentic Chinese food where I live so I was underwhelmed with the meal I had in SF Chinatown, nothing special.

-Alcatraz is worth the trip

- the giants suck this year but AT&T park is a great take. Sit in the top deck down the 1st baseline for cheap tix a good view of the game and a great view of the city/bay

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 01:34:28 AM »

Where you staying, Mate?  Budget?  The tournament is out on Treasure Island, which may be the best view of the city. Funky and deserted out there, but there are some winery collectives and a brewery on the waterfront in old warehouses.

The Marquette bar is Kezar's Pub by Golden Gate Park.  The Niners used to play in Kezar Stadium there. The park is a gem.

Lots of good, expensive restaurants. North Beach is a classic Italian restaurant. If it's your first time, do the free walking tour by City Guides.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kezar-Pub/123025617777295

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »
Where you staying, Mate?  Budget?  The tournament is out on Treasure Island, which may be the best view of the city. Funky and deserted out there, but there are some winery collectives and a brewery on the waterfront in old warehouses.

The Marquette bar is Kezar's Pub by Golden Gate Park.  The Niners used to play in Kezar Stadium there. The park is a gem.

Lots of good, expensive restaurants. North Beach is a classic Italian restaurant. If it's your first time, do the free walking tour by City Guides.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kezar-Pub/123025617777295

We're staying at the Marriott Marquis. Surprised you knew where the tournament was. A brewery in a warehouse in a funky area sounds right up my alley
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 12:50:52 PM »
Ideally, what's the best location to stay in San Francisco?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »
Ideally, what's the best location to stay in San Francisco?

We stayed around Nob Hill/Union Square and liked it. Our immediate vicinity wasn't super neighborhoody, but about as centrally located as you can get for the mainstay tourist spots. Right by Chinatown, walkable to Embarcadero/Lombard/Fisherman's Wharf, solid BART access.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 03:17:38 PM »
We're staying at the Marriott Marquis. Surprised you knew where the tournament was. A brewery in a warehouse in a funky area sounds right up my alley

There is a nice dive bar about a mile walk toward the Transamerica building:  Cafe Prague.  Czech beer and women.  Tall pours.  Down an alley essentially.

http://www.cafepraguesf.com

Here is a link to Woods Island Club Brewery on TI.  Many of the wine coops are next door.  Good luck!  Gives us a report.  It is a hot one this weekend. Drink plenty of cold beverages.

http://www.woodsbeer.com/islandclub/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:19:03 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 12:36:49 PM »
There is a nice dive bar about a mile walk toward the Transamerica building:  Cafe Prague.  Czech beer and women.  Tall pours.  Down an alley essentially.

http://www.cafepraguesf.com

Here is a link to Woods Island Club Brewery on TI.  Many of the wine coops are next door.  Good luck!  Gives us a report.  It is a hot one this weekend. Drink plenty of cold beverages.

http://www.woodsbeer.com/islandclub/

Thanks for the info I was pretty drunk by the time I got to the brewery but the view was awesome. Little pricey but fun.  Wish I had made it to that cafe Prague it looked awesome.

The alcatraz tour was a pretty cool as well. Liked that it wasn't a guided thing, you got to be in your own world with the audio
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 12:36:58 AM »
Glad you had fun. It is a great city.