[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: title IX in our backyard  (Read 1194 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
title IX in our backyard
« on: August 25, 2017, 10:28:18 PM »
  calling on tamu- first of all, i hope your dry and safe.  just noticed they upgraded harvey to a cat 4-prayers are with all of texas

just wondering what your opinion is on this-

looks like MU has a little title IX issue of their own-actually seems contrary to most of the cases we've had discussions about here where the guy SEEMS to be getting the benefit of the doubt.  i've been following this case for a few years now and i will bet you MU will be settling this quickly, move along, nothing to see here

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2017/08/25/former-student-sues-marquette-university-over-handling-sexual-assault/599764001/
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: title IX in our backyard
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 11:16:34 PM »
"The suit claims Marquette retaliated against the woman for pursuing KW's prosecution, tried to force her withdrawal over a low grade in a prerequisite course for her nursing program, put her on probation and refused to accept results of a drug test administered by her doctor.

In 2017, the woman transferred to a community college. Her suit seeks unspecified compensatory and punitive damages. "

First of all. NEVER EVER EVER go to the "campus safety officers" over sexual assault. ALWAYS go to the police. They are equipped, trained, and legally able to help. The campus safety officers are not.

Second. (not knowing the full story) It seems she is trying to deflect a bad grade that kicked her out of a competitive nursing program. She transferred to a community college, so her grades weren't to great eh?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 12:22:14 AM »
Honestly without knowing the details I can't give an opinion either way. Though if Marquette did discourage her from going to the police that is a huge no no under Title IX, but I have seen suits claim all sorts of things that ended up not being true. You are correct Marquette will settle out of court, that's how 99% of these end. It doesn't seem like she filed a complaint with the Department of Education, more interested in the payout.

First of all. NEVER EVER EVER go to the "campus safety officers" over sexual assault. ALWAYS go to the police. They are equipped, trained, and legally able to help. The campus safety officers are not.

Victims should go to whoever they like. I personally always advocate for them to go to both. There are strengths and weaknesses to both the university and judicial process. Though I can promise you that both are "equipped, trained and legally able to help." I would say the police are more equipped and the university is more legally able to help. As for training...well I can't speak for Marquette, but down here in Texas, the police are trained on this by the university investigators! They weren't even required to, they came to us for training!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 08:32:02 AM »
"The suit claims Marquette retaliated against the woman for pursuing KW's prosecution, tried to force her withdrawal over a low grade in a prerequisite course for her nursing program, put her on probation and refused to accept results of a drug test administered by her doctor.

In 2017, the woman transferred to a community college. Her suit seeks unspecified compensatory and punitive damages. "

Second. (not knowing the full story) It seems she is trying to deflect a bad grade that kicked her out of a competitive nursing program. She transferred to a community college, so her grades weren't to great eh?

Or maybe the alleged assault left her with emotional problems that made school hard for her.

Seriously, why would you speculate on the motivations of the alleged victim when you admit you don't know the whole story?  In fact, you don't really know any of the story whatsoever.

Honestly I trust that Marquette handled this well.  (Unless the basketball coach was involved.)  So I think MU is likely to prevail here.  But I have no idea what happened so no basis to speculate on anyone's motivations.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:43:07 AM by Sultan of Slap O' Fivin' »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 09:49:18 AM »

Or maybe the alleged assault left her with emotional problems that made school hard for her.

Seriously, why would you speculate on the motivations of the alleged victim when you admit you don't know the whole story?  In fact, you don't really know any of the story whatsoever.

Honestly I trust that Marquette handled this well.  (Unless the basketball coach was involved.)  So I think MU is likely to prevail here.  But I have no idea what happened so no basis to speculate on anyone's motivations.

i can agree with this up to MU handling this well.  i could understand the girl being emotionally messed up such as to distract from her studies and it's affect on her grades.  however, i do have a bias in that i have followed this story almost from it's beginning as i know one of her friends very well.  i understand there still may be 2 sides here, but it will be interesting to see how MU does handle this going forward. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 03:52:10 PM »

Also don't go to the on campus counseling center else the university could decide to use your medical records to defend itself against a lawsuit like Oregon did - http://www.chronicle.com/article/Raped-on-Campus-Don-t-Trust/228093/

I would expect this kind of behavior from an upstanding Christian school like Baylor, but from a public institution #smh

feedback