collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: How Doris Burke Became The Best Damn Basketball Broadcaster There Is  (Read 5105 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Nice article.  I miss her calling BEast games.  I was not aware that she played for Providence.

It also has a hysterical clip of her subbed in for Derrick Rose in NBA 2K.

http://deadspin.com/how-doris-burke-became-the-best-damn-basketball-broadca-1797546866
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: How Doris Burke Became The Best Damn Basketball Broadcaster There Is
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 09:28:51 PM »
I thought it was her thong.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 09:50:10 PM »
Adding to her versatility, the fact she can do play by play or be an analyst separates her.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 04:56:22 AM »
she is one of the few who got her job based on talent alone, een'na?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 06:03:53 AM »
Nice article.  I miss her calling BEast games.  I was not aware that she played for Providence.

It also has a hysterical clip of her subbed in for Derrick Rose in NBA 2K.

http://deadspin.com/how-doris-burke-became-the-best-damn-basketball-broadca-1797546866

Surprising that you wouldn't know about her playing at Providence. I feel like it was mentioned every time she called a game. She was/is great though and I'd be happy to have her call Marquette games anytime.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 07:16:49 AM »
she is one of the few who got her job based on talent alone, een'na?

Um, no. I would say that is the case for nearly all of the folks that do play by play and/or analysis.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 10:06:14 AM »
Been a Doris Burke fan from the first time I heard her as an analyst. A real student of the game and an effective communicator.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »
Um, no. I would say that is the case for nearly all of the folks that do play by play and/or analysis.

Of course, it helps if one's last name is Buck, Brennaman, Caray or Kalas.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 10:52:24 AM »
Of course, it helps if one's last name is Buck, Brennaman, Caray or Kalas.

It helps sure.  But Buck is better than his reputation, except you gotta keep him away from the golf course.  Brennaman isn't bad either.  And Chip Caray is better than both his dad and grandpa.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6UWRNzAwSPM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6UWRNzAwSPM</a>

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 01:08:12 PM »
It helps sure.  But Buck is better than his reputation, except you gotta keep him away from the golf course.  Brennaman isn't bad either.  And Chip Caray is better than both his dad and grandpa.

+1

I never quite understood the Joe Buck hatred.  Many, many people from various, indpendent social circles have lamented Joe Buck's announcing (all facets of it).  And I've never understood why.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 02:11:03 PM »
+1

I never quite understood the Joe Buck hatred.  Many, many people from various, indpendent social circles have lamented Joe Buck's announcing (all facets of it).  And I've never understood why.

Joe Buck is actually pretty funny too. He did a cameo on Brockmire on IFC that was hilarious. He also was on the Dan Lebatard show a few weeks ago and told a story about being in the Caribbean and eating too many pot laced brownies that was awesome.

Lebatard Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQuj_dE43hg&app=desktop

Brockmire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=JzTIs0i-Vt8

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 02:39:07 PM »

Your opinion, of course. I find Chip almost impossible to listen to, although I do think he has gotten slightly better since he left Cubbieland. His father was easily the best of the three, IMHO. His grandpa was fun to make fun of.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 03:56:38 PM »

I'm not knocking any of their abilities, but clearly sports broadcasting isn't a pure meritocracy.
Joe Buck, to his credit, has no problem admitting he was given opportunities in the business that others without his famous last name would never have received.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 07:29:15 PM »

i was thinkin more along the lines of an erin andrews type

yes, i realize erin andrews ain't a play by play person, but work with me on this one.  hint-i don't think doris has to worry bout any "peeping toms"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 07:31:14 PM »

yes, i realize erin andrews ain't a play by play person, but work with me on this one.  hint-i don't think doris has to worry bout any "peeping toms"

Brother...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 08:25:43 PM »

Yeah, no, I am not going to work with you on this one.

I don't think Chris Berman has to work about any "peeping toms", but no one ever feels the need to mention it.

And if you think the whole Erin Andrews incident is funny, I invite you watch this interview about it and tell me if you would think it was funny if she was a loved one of yours.

http://www.nbcnews.com/megyn-kelly/video/erin-andrews-the-fight-of-her-life-part-1-964291139557
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:33:17 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 09:04:20 PM »
Rocket surgeon, stop digging.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 09:30:55 PM »
I never quite understood the Joe Buck hatred.
It's because he obviously hates my favorite sports team and loves the team they are playing in the game he's broadcasting

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 10:16:34 PM »
Yeah, no, I am not going to work with you on this one.

I don't think Chris Berman has to work about any "peeping toms", but no one ever feels the need to mention it.

And if you think the whole Erin Andrews incident is funny, I invite you watch this interview about it and tell me if you would think it was funny if she was a loved one of yours.

http://www.nbcnews.com/megyn-kelly/video/erin-andrews-the-fight-of-her-life-part-1-964291139557

chick-don't go working this for more than it is.  you know darn well i wasn't making light of erin andrews privacy being violated.   tower-no need for the "free advice" 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 01:28:04 AM »
  chick-don't go working this for more than it is.  you know darn well i wasn't making light of erin andrews privacy being violated.   tower-no need for the "free advice"

If you like Doris then why go out of your way to mention that you think she's unattractive? Why not just leave it at she's a damn fine reporter?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 07:25:30 AM »
If you like Doris then why go out of your way to mention that you think she's unattractive? Why not just leave it at she's a damn fine reporter?

at least i didn't post a vulgar gif of some women doing an air ...job conveying a message that could have  been stated simply by other means or by not commenting at all eyyyn'a?  the faux outrage thing can be worked in a lot of ways. 

i guess some attempts at levity are either taken for what they are and get it or depending on the source, attacked and turned in to something they are not.  some are misunderstood, purposely or not, and personalized.   no need for the attacks and/or personalization.  doris, if you are out there, i apologize-you are very good at what you do.  erin?  i'd rather apologize in person to ;D

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 07:42:31 AM »

Because how a woman makes his peen feel is a very important factor in determining her worth, obviously.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 08:04:28 AM »

at least i didn't post a vulgar gif of some women doing an air ...job conveying a message that could have  been stated simply by other means or by not commenting at all eyyyn'a?  the faux outrage thing can be worked in a lot of ways. 

i guess some attempts at levity are either taken for what they are and get it or depending on the source, attacked and turned in to something they are not.  some are misunderstood, purposely or not, and personalized.   no need for the attacks and/or personalization.  doris, if you are out there, i apologize-you are very good at what you do.  erin?  i'd rather apologize in person to ;D

How about you just admit your comments weren't particularly appropriate and leave it at that?
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 08:38:56 AM »

No one was outraged.  Your comment was simply dumb.