[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Seattle recommendations?  (Read 6761 times)

drewm88

• All American
Seattle recommendations?
« on: July 29, 2017, 02:52:25 PM »
Heading to Seattle in a couple weeks for work and sticking around for a long weekend. Any specific recommendations? Obviously looking especially to Keefe.

We're likely spending a day kayaking off the San Juan Islands. Beyond that, Chihuly Garden, and a Mariners game are definitely on the list, but not much else so far.

Are the museums (flight, pop culture, Pacific Science Center) worthwhile? The fish ladder at the locks? Bainbridge? I hear the Space Needle is nothing special.

I've been to the city once before, but had almost no time to see anything, so any insights are much appreciated.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Seattle recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 03:37:46 PM »
My wife and I went to Seattle about 6 years ago.  We did air bnb and found an apartment on the bus line.  It was a pretty short bus ride to downtown, like 10-15 minutes.

Definitely hit the public market. Lots of samples, including some great salmon.  We bought a lot of fresh seafood and made most of our own meals.  That was a big reason we did air bnb in the first place.  We had Dungeness crab, scallops, and salmon.  All excellent, though we wish we would have paid the extra money for the better salmon.

The original Starbucks is also in the public market neighborhood.  It's small and you will have to wait in line.  But it's fun chatting with the other tourists.  The people in front of us in line also happened to be from Wisconsin and they were even from a small town near where my wife grew up.

Our trip to see Mt. Rainier was a bit of a bust due to heavy fog. Bainbridge Island didn't have much, although we did like one of the wineries on the island.  Plenty of wineries, brewpubs, and local coffee shops to take in as well.  I'll have to research where went since I don't remember the names off hand.

The Space Needle had a nice view but not much else.  We also rode the monorail and checked out some other things at the World's Fair grounds.  Nothing spectacular but not bad either.

We also rode the South Lake Union Streetcar.  It was originally named the South Lake Union Trolley, which had a most unfortunate acronym.  We even heard a rumor about someone making T-shirts: Something about riding the...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 05:00:30 PM »
The Columbia Tower has a great view. Better than the Space Needle but not as much of a touristy place.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 06:58:17 PM »
Agree on the Public Market.  Bainbridge is kinda quiet, but the ferry ride gives you great views of Seattle.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »
My wife and I are headed to Seattle the first week of Sept and we look forward to having some fun. Our daughter and future son-in-law live there, so we have tour guides!

After 4-5 days there, we're going to fly to Chicago for a couple days with our son and future daughter-in-law.

The impending marriages make for busy times!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »
My wife and I are headed to Seattle the first week of Sept and we look forward to having some fun. Our daughter and future son-in-law live there, so we have tour guides!

After 4-5 days there, we're going to fly to Chicago for a couple days with our son and future daughter-in-law.

Early September is a great time to visit Seattle - you'll likely get good weather.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 09:29:41 PM »
The Columbia Tower has a great view. Better than the Space Needle but not as much of a touristy place.

I agree with this. I would also recommend eating in (or just visiting) West Seattle. We ate at salty's and it was an awesome view of Seattle.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 10:35:11 PM »
Agree on the Public Market.  Bainbridge is kinda quiet, but the ferry ride gives you great views of Seattle.

Agreed, the ferry ride does have great views from interesting viewpoints.  We really liked Eleven Winery on Bainbridge Island.

Other places we visited:

Cherry St Coffee House
The Pike Brewing Company (located at Pike's Place aka the Public Market)

I'm blanking on the other brewery we visited.  It was near the stadiums and the beer was good.  I'll post the name if I can think of it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 11:32:29 PM »
Early September is a great time to visit Seattle - you'll likely get good weather.

It was either then or late-Oct. And my momma didn't raise any stupid kids! (Except for a couple of my brothers, but I digress ... )

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 11:56:12 PM »
Seattle is incredible. I do quite a bit of work there and love it.

A couple of ideas:

1) Consider the Marriott waterfront. A block up the stairs and then over to the public market. But if you stay there, make sure you reserve a room on the NW side, facing the Olympic Peninsula. Sun comes over the Sound and mountains in the afternoon. Beautiful. If you have money to burn, get a room at the Four Seasons facing the Sound!

2) Columbia Tower is nice. Been to quite a few meetings there but I am not sure there is anything for tourists.

3) If you are into airplanes, you have to do the tour of the Boeing jumbo plant in Everett. Interstate 5 north about three exists past the 205 bypass. They build 747s, 777s and 787 there. Fascinating and the museum nearby is great. Also, go up on the hill and watch the flightlines with new planes for the world's airlines.

4) The Museum of Flight down by BFI (just south of the stadiums) also is really cool.

5) Take a ferry across the sound. If you're going to the San Juan Islands, consider the Muketieo Ferry to Whidbey Island. Whidbey Island is beautiful and I love the sign beside the naval air station ("Pardon our noise... It's the Sound of Freedom! I just love the sound of freedom from  night flying drills at 2:00 a.m. when I'm trying to sleep about the time an afterburner kicks in).

6) Mt. Rainer National park is about 1:20 from Seattle and a beautiful Alpine Valley.

7) If you're into driving, the eco-diversity at Olympic National Park is like few other places on earth.

8) Restaurants -- Wild Ginger has gone a little commercial but is really good Asian fusion. Pricey but not outrageous. I also like the Brooklyn Steak and Seafood House downtown, Dahlia Grill is good. There's also a neighborhood on the east side of Seattle U that's full of fun and casual restaurants. Food wise, you can't go wrong here and I don't particularly like most seafood!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »
Keefe's hometown.  Where's his rec's?  In haiku form too!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 10:44:13 AM »
I was out there last year. I've seen some good suggestions here, but here are a couple more:

If you like coffee the Starbucks Roastery is pretty cool. Even if you don't really, it's pretty cool to look at.

We went to the Ballard Pizza Company and it was some awesome chill eating.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »
I was out there last year. I've seen some good suggestions here, but here are a couple more:

If you like coffee the Starbucks Roastery is pretty cool. Even if you don't really, it's pretty cool to look at.

We went to the Ballard Pizza Company and it was some awesome chill eating.

Good call on the Starbucks Roastery. I've never drank coffee and very rarely go to Starbucks but it was worth stopping at.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »
If it's a nice day, hit this combo (either order)...

Duke's Chowder House, Alki Beach, rooftop deck.
A block away is the West Seattle Brewing tap shack.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 12:27:57 AM »
Lived here for a few years now. Echo a lot of the above.

Some other nice spots: There are a ton of small breweries' taprooms in Ballard. My personal favorite is Reuben's, but it's tough to go wrong with any of them.

Westland Distillery south of the stadiums might be worth a look if you're into whiskey.

Before the Mariners game, Elysian and Pyramid are popular (Pyramid has a beer garden), but if you want something quieter, Casco Antiguo in Pioneer Square is a good choice.

If you want outdoor time beyond the San Juans trip, check out the WA Trails Association website--lots of hiking trails in the area. City parks like Discovery, Carkeek, and Lincoln have great mountain and sound views.

These are my go-tos for restaurants:
Sandwiches: Honey Hole
Fish & chips: Spud's on Alki
Tacos: Tacos Chukis
Chinese: Judy Fu's
Sushi: Momiji
Thai: Araya's (even though it's vegan)
Burgers: Uneeda Burger
Seafood: Walrus and the Carpenter
Brunch: Tallulah's
Steak: Metropolitan Grill (sadly closed for renovations)
Caribbean: Bongo's
Pizza: Italian Family or Delancey
Italian: Machiavelli
Fried chicken: Ezell's
Wild cards: No Anchor & Volunteer Park Cafe
Coffee: The Moore & Victrola
Cocktail bars: Liberty & Rob Roy
Beer bar: Chuck's Hop Shop
Bar-bars: Linda's, Leny's, Eastlake Zoo, Redwood, Revolver

Also you can buy weed here.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 08:12:30 AM »
[...]
[...]

I'm all in on a Machiavellian Italian restaurant.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »
Wife is there right now.  Went to Anthony's last night.  She said great seafood and wonderful view....despite the forest fires.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 09:00:48 PM »

Never been to Moore...but LOVE Victrola.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 10:38:34 PM »
Lived here for a few years now. Echo a lot of the above.

Some other nice spots: There are a ton of small breweries' taprooms in Ballard. My personal favorite is Reuben's, but it's tough to go wrong with any of them.

Westland Distillery south of the stadiums might be worth a look if you're into whiskey.

Before the Mariners game, Elysian and Pyramid are popular (Pyramid has a beer garden), but if you want something quieter, Casco Antiguo in Pioneer Square is a good choice.

If you want outdoor time beyond the San Juans trip, check out the WA Trails Association website--lots of hiking trails in the area. City parks like Discovery, Carkeek, and Lincoln have great mountain and sound views.

These are my go-tos for restaurants:
Sandwiches: Honey Hole
Fish & chips: Spud's on Alki
Tacos: Tacos Chukis
Chinese: Judy Fu's
Sushi: Momiji
Thai: Araya's (even though it's vegan)
Burgers: Uneeda Burger
Seafood: Walrus and the Carpenter
Brunch: Tallulah's
Steak: Metropolitan Grill (sadly closed for renovations)
Caribbean: Bongo's
Pizza: Italian Family or Delancey
Fried chicken: Ezell's
Wild cards: No Anchor & Volunteer Park Cafe
Cocktail bars: Liberty & Rob Roy
Beer bar: Chuck's Hop Shop
Bar-bars: Linda's, Leny's, Eastlake Zoo, Redwood, Revolver

Also you can buy weed here.

Great list, cooby. Thanks. I'll bring a few of those up to my daughter and future SIL and see if they want to go to 'em.

And hey ... I plum forgot about the weed. It's been awhile for me but, ya know, maybe I should do like the Romans do!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 06:06:05 PM »
Lots of great comments here. How best to frame this...

Eating

Pike Place Market is worth seeing to check the box. If you go there the best eatery is a little place called Le Pichet. 

http://lepichetseattle.com/home/

They make their own charcuterie which is sublime. Get a sampler, a couple of their baguettes and their eggs with ham and gruyere.

Having spent most of my life in Asia, and having developed an affinity for its many cuisines, I will say that Seattle is better than the Bay Area and LA in terms of great Asian fare.

Dim Sum - Jade Garden in the International District. Astounding variety with exceptional quality. As a gweilo you will be in decided minority. Late morning dim sum at Jade Garden is like being back in Hong Kong.

http://jadegardenseattle.com/

Sushi - Seattle has many good ones but I believe the very best is Nishino in Madison Park. I have a rule with sushi - if I am not in Japan I expect the owners to be Japanese. Nishino and Shiro's are two sushi shops owned and operated by Japanese. Both are excellent but we have always preferred Nishino.

http://www.nishinorestaurant.com/

Izakaya - Seattle has a large Japanese community and therefore has that uniquely Japanese dining experience of the Izakaya. My favorite is Maneki which has been in operation for a century (except for the years in which the owner and family was tossed into Manzanar.)

http://www.manekirestaurant.com/

Another great Izakaya is Bar Maekawa. It is really Japanese, however. The menu will need to be explained to you by the Japanese staff. But the food is definitely authentic and worth it.

http://fortstgeorgeseattle.com/

Chinese - Best on the west coast is Din Tai Fung. No question.

http://dintaifungusa.com/

Steak - Daniel's Broiler. Go to the one in Leschi which right on Lake Washington. Also, Daniel's has the best late happy hour (2100 onward) in Seattle.

Fish and Chips - Chinook's at the Fisherman's Terminal. The fish and chips shack is at the end in its own little nook. I have lived in UK and Chinook's is the best by far.

https://www.anthonys.com/restaurants/detail/chinook-at-salmon-bay

Tapas - Harvest Vine in Madison Park. Stellar. Absolutely have dinner here.

https://www.harvestvine.com/

Outdoors

The greatness of Seattle is that the mountains and water are close and accessible.

Hiking - Hike up Mt Si. It is 30 minutes to the trailhead from downtown and a relatively easy hike. The views are fabulous.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/washington/mount-si-trail

Another trail near Mt Si is Rattlesnake Ledge. Somewhat easier but still offering incredible vistas.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/washington/rattlesnake-ledge

If you need gear do visit the REI flagship store in Seattle. An orgy of gear for the outdoors.

https://www.rei.com/stores/seattle.html

Kayaking - if you can spare the time the San Juans are worth visiting. If you just want to paddle around there is a rental place on Lake Union which is convenient.

Whidbey Island - Drive around with a stop in La Connor. Deception Pass is one of America's finest natural treasures.

I did some flight training at NAS Whidbey and a great fighter pilot bar is Toby's in Coupeville. There will be USN and USAF fighter pilots swilling beer there but the real gem is the mussels. They are done in a white wine and garlic and served in a big bucket. These are Penn Cove mussels which is on Whidbey.

Give me a call when you in town and let's meet for a beer.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 06:08:45 PM »

Mike

I'll be around in early Sep. Give me a shout an we can have that beer.

Crash

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 11:31:44 PM »
Mike

I'll be around in early Sep. Give me a shout an we can have that beer.

Crash

Thanks for the recommendations, Crash. I have PMed you.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 01:06:19 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations, Crash. I have PMed you.

Mike

Red Hook Brewery. Pick the night.

Crash

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 01:26:35 AM »
Anyone visiting Seattle should check out the winery tasting rooms in Woodinville. Washington state wines are world class. Viticulture is on the eastern side of the Cascades but the wineries have established tasting rooms in Woodinville. All of these tasting rooms are within crawling distance of each other (save for FST which is less than a mile away.)

Start with the Columbia Winery and end with the Chateau Ste Michelle.

http://www.columbiawinery.com/

https://www.ste-michelle.com/

In between I would highly recommend:

Januik   http://www.noveltyhilljanuik.com/

Mark Ryan    http://www.markryanwinery.com/

Isenhower   http://www.isenhowercellars.com/

DeLille    http://www.delillecellars.com/

Col Solare    World class cab    https://www.colsolare.com/

Efeste    Big bold reds    https://efeste.com/

Goose Ridge  http://www.gooseridge.com/

Next door to Columbia is the Red Hook Brewery. Stop in for a pint of their ESB.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 01:35:12 AM »
Keefe's hometown.  Where's his rec's?  In haiku form too!

high tech west coast chic
give the mariners a miss
mountains are calling

Death on call

feedback