[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dr. Lovell does it again  (Read 19573 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Dr. Lovell does it again
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2017, 09:19:07 AM »
What the hell is 2040s?   And get off my lawn.

Are you serious topper?  You might consider getting just a tad more plugged in to your old stompin' grounds.  I also hear they're building a huge new dorm called Wild Hall and that McCormick is coming down!

Oh, btw, 2040 is now called the Marq.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
This will help recruiting.

It will also lower the acceptance rate.  I'd value a campus Sendik's as a 4-6 spot bump in USWNR ranking.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
Campus grocery store thread now at 4 pages.  Peak Scoop.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2017, 09:44:35 AM »
Hey, if you think that the people buying regular groceries have it tough, imagine how far you have to go if you need caviar and Dom Perignon.

Sendik's is a godsend, I tell ya.

And if you don't like the Sendik's, you can still take the bus to your grocer of choice.  Even if we go with the false assumption that Sendik's will be all expensive, high-end food, it's not like they are knocking down a Walmart to put it in.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2017, 09:45:15 AM »
I suppose it is a little unlike me, but I know how much work went into getting this store, including a lot of work by our non-university neighbors.  I believe that getting this store is one of the most important things to happen at Marquette in recent memory.  It could literally change the face of the neighborhood. 

It has been proven in studies that one of the biggest obstacles to having middle and upper-middle class folks move to the Near West Side is the lack of a grocery store.  And one of the biggest obstacles in attracting students to Marquette is the economic state of the neighborhood.  So you can understand when the reaction by some to this news is "Pffft...they should have gotten a different store", it sticks in my craw.

I know my better half got a little testy but the part I've bolded is the key. The goal here is to help facilitate a transformation for the entire near west side. The announcement yesterday has the potential to be revolutionary for Marquette.

One of the things that Mike is exceptionally good at is bringing various parties together to achieve a common goal.  In the last 2-3 years, two new privately owned multi-tenant residential properties kicked off, namely Ivy and the one currently under construction on 15th.  I'm betting that we'll see more construction cranes in the air within 24 months. There were those who believed that Marquette should simply buy up everything themselves to improve the 'buffer'. Mike's vision is to facilitate private capital investment by greasing the skids.  Moreover, he attacks the problem like any engineer.  Before this we need that.  If all goes right, the process becomes self sustaining.  The evidence of his initial success is unmistakable. And for that he earns our sincere appreciation. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2017, 10:33:21 AM »
I know my better half got a little testy but the part I've bolded is the key. The goal here is to help facilitate a transformation for the entire near west side. The announcement yesterday has the potential to be revolutionary for Marquette.

One of the things that Mike is exceptionally good at is bringing various parties together to achieve a common goal.  In the last 2-3 years, two new privately owned multi-tenant residential properties kicked off, namely Ivy and the one currently under construction on 15th.  I'm betting that we'll see more construction cranes in the air within 24 months. There were those who believed that Marquette should simply buy up everything themselves to improve the 'buffer'. Mike's vision is to facilitate private capital investment by greasing the skids.  Moreover, he attacks the problem like any engineer.  Before this we need that.  If all goes right, the process becomes self sustaining.  The evidence of his initial success is unmistakable. And for that he earns our sincere appreciation. 

Yeah but he communicates with the community via Twitter.  No good leader does that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2017, 12:10:14 PM »

Yeah but he communicates with the community via Twitter.  No good leader does that.

HA! Back to the minimum wage discussion for you!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »
Great news for Marquette, but I have to say some of our Pick N Save runs are great memories!

A case of Huber returnable bottles was something like $2.75

I still tell people about that in disbelief.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2017, 01:28:08 PM »
I still tell people about that in disbelief.

When I started homebrewing in 1993 I needed a source of bottles and buying them new at the Purple Foot would cost about $15/case. I ended up with about 25 cases of empty Huber Bock bottles by never returning the empties to Pick & Save. IIRC I paid about $5/case including deposit, I still use them today.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »
After decades of trying, Marquette is finally getting a real grocery store.  A Sendik's, no less:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/real-estate/commercial/2017/06/28/sendiks-food-markets-open-small-format-grocery-store-near-marquette-university-campus/435024001/

Back, way back, in the early 60's we had a supermarket across the street from Schroeder Hall.  We even had a shoe shine parlor in the basement, I think, of the laundromat next to the supermarket.

What goes around comes around. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2017, 04:47:41 PM »
Back, way back, in the early 60's we had a supermarket across the street from Schroeder Hall.  We even had a shoe shine parlor in the basement, I think, of the laundromat next to the supermarket.

What goes around comes around.

As in the lot north of abbotsford or are you talking about the AMU?
Maigh Eo for Sam

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »

I lived at the Abbot Crest Hotel for a year, but that's another story.
The supermarket, can't bring up the name, was north of the Abbotsford.
The store opened on W. Wells, between 13th and 14th, on the south side of Wells across from the dorm.

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2017, 05:01:36 PM »

And never without an accompanying picture of himself.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2017, 09:13:33 PM »
No one on campus with their own money can really truly afford Sendiks

Hey, it's 2017 and tuition is 40k/year. Nobody's on campus with their own money anyways...

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2017, 10:42:50 PM »

I don't think the AMU was there in the 60s.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2017, 02:03:46 AM »
No oneder hour fookin' endowment is so pathetic, hey?

Couldn't agree more, Doc. A grocery store is a major accomplishment? F#ck me. Who knew, hey?

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2017, 04:10:34 AM »
Very late at night, and not for very long. Its actually kind of a problem.

Ah, the Buzz Williams plan.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2017, 07:02:43 AM »
I don't think the AMU was there in the 60s.

Meant where the amu is not the actual building
Maigh Eo for Sam

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2017, 12:04:41 PM »
Meant where the amu is not the actual building

Correction, 12th and 13th.  Probably a parking lot now, not where the "new" union is. 
52 years is a long time, in those days Wells was nothing but dive bars and liquor stores. 

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2017, 12:03:42 PM »
A liitle brand marketing maybe?
Get future young profrssionala in the habit of going to Sendik's. Sounds like MU has given favourable terms to bring them in and it is a win,win.
#winning

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2017, 06:14:18 PM »
The 2040s is an apartment building at 2040 W Wisconsin.  Its name was changed in the past year or so to The Marq, although the oldtimers might remember it as the Bockl building.  It was the first of the upscale student apartment complexes that are being developed close to campus.
I was shocked to see my old partisan apartment there on a recent trip - and see that Michael's across the street was there but no longer open all night or at all on Mondays!
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2017, 03:05:41 PM »
That must be a recent change with Michael's. It was 24 hours and open on a Monday night not that long ago when I went to a Cubs - Brewers weekday series in September, wanna say like 2011. Still as entertaining as ever.
GO WARRIORS!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2017, 03:18:38 PM »
That must be a recent change with Michael's. It was 24 hours and open on a Monday night not that long ago when I went to a Cubs - Brewers weekday series in September, wanna say like 2011. Still as entertaining as ever.

It's been within the few years.  Per my LIMO driver kids, there had a been a shooting or two there.  Not sure if that is the reason they changed the hours or not.
Have some patience, FFS.

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2017, 12:34:43 PM »
Other than Kampus Foods, it was only Kohl's on 35th Street or whatever.  Not fun that far off campus, but great way to borrow a grocery cart to haul our QB to campus party in the mall.  Fr. Raynor liked that one a lot as we chatted crossing Wisc. Ave. on way to the grass by Lalumiere.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2017, 02:52:54 PM »
... in those days Wells was nothing but dive bars and liquor stores.

Wasn't life great?