Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 7000 fans a game?  (Read 21392 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: 7000 fans a game?
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2017, 01:02:40 PM »
Amongst the millenials you maybe right.

Those 40 and over its Oneil and not even close. 

The millenials see a team two years removed from the NCAA tourney and listened to Crean self market as to how terrible the place was.

Those over 40 saw a team in the MCC with anthony Candelino bringing the ball up that hadnt seen a tourney in 10 yrs n 3 coaches. 

Its not even a comparison if you have the perspective of having been around.  Oneil had the team rolling when he left arguably better than any Crean team sans 2003.  With 3 future NBA players his final yr.  Went from a low major league to a high major league too.  Won a reg season title and all the above.

O'Neil had two good seasons and should get credit for at least Deane's first season so there is not doubting he was a critical coach and I'm dismissing O'Neil as a coach. However Crean had a bigger impact on the program overall than O'Neil did, especially given that O'Neil's legacy wasn't sustained
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2017, 01:03:58 PM »
This cannot be said enough.  When KO / Deane got back to the NCAAs we knew we were more than just the Al era.  There was a modern blueprint for winning at MU. 

What always bothered me about TC was he acted like we shutdown basketball in 1977, let Glen River attend school as some foreign exchange student in the 80's and then TC started the program anew in 1999. 

Did we honor the 1994 S16 team in 2004?  Nope. 
Did we honor the 1997 CUSA title team in 2007?  Nope. 

TC knew that highlighting even the modest glory from the 90's would detract from his narrative.  I'm not trying to be petty, that's just how I see it.  The funny thing, the guy accomplished enough in 9 years that he didn't need to constantly remind of his bad it was before him (we won a conf tourney 25 months before he was hired) but he kept doing it.  That's what made him so loathsome to so many.

Correct, but no one is making the argument that he's not loathsome (spoiler alert, he definitely is). The argument is whether or not he had significant impact on the program, more so than another coach since Al.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »
O'Neill saved the program from dropping to D3. Crean pushed Marquette to the BE.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2017, 01:31:04 PM »

Ditto.  Booing him at this event would be the height of pettiness.
Well, it's not going to happen, with folks paying $125 per plate.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »

Ditto.  Booing him at this event would be the height of pettiness.

I agree although in the JS interview he did mention that he feels getting booed is a sign of respect (or something to that effect).

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2017, 03:59:35 PM »
O'Neill saved the program from dropping to D3. Crean pushed Marquette to the BE.

That's ridiculous.  The program was never dropping to D3.  What he did save it from was becoming Loyola.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2017, 04:20:30 PM »
This cannot be said enough.  When KO / Deane got back to the NCAAs we knew we were more than just the Al era.  There was a modern blueprint for winning at MU. 

What always bothered me about TC was he acted like we shutdown basketball in 1977, let Glen River attend school as some foreign exchange student in the 80's and then TC started the program anew in 1999. 

Did we honor the 1994 S16 team in 2004?  Nope. 
Did we honor the 1997 CUSA title team in 2007?  Nope. 

TC knew that highlighting even the modest glory from the 90's would detract from his narrative.  I'm not trying to be petty, that's just how I see it.  The funny thing, the guy accomplished enough in 9 years that he didn't need to constantly remind of his bad it was before him (we won a conf tourney 25 months before he was hired) but he kept doing it.  That's what made him so loathsome to so many.

True but it appears some believed him
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2017, 04:43:38 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/MarquetteHardin/status/877982913903702017/video/1

Wojo and company thanking their lucky stars that Tommy Naismith revolutionized the game.

There is a reason that fellow coaches mockingly called him Tommy Naismith.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:46:31 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2017, 04:59:59 PM »
That's ridiculous.  The program was never dropping to D3.  What he did save it from was becoming Loyola.

AKA dropping to D3.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2017, 05:24:22 PM »
He also gave away a lot of free tickets all his years...great showman...great snake oils man.

It got fans engaged? No?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2017, 05:40:33 PM »
Look at the players he recruited to Marquette -- Diener, Wade, Novak, James, Matthews, McNeal, Hayward ... why would you boo a guy like that? Do you still hate all your ex-girlfriends?

You can have ex-girlfriend who was great to you while you were together, but if the way you found out that she dumped you was by seeing her on TV talking about her richer, better-looking, and more popular new boyfriend, and that of course he's gonna dump you for him, that's going to sting for awhile.
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2017, 05:50:23 PM »
AKA dropping to D3.

I had no idea Loyola-Chicago was in Division 3. I know the MVC has taken a hit lately but it is obviously much worse than we all knew.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »
I agree although in the JS interview he did mention that he feels getting booed is a sign of respect (or something to that effect).

Crean gets announced
Crowd boos
Crean says "respect" ala Ali G

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2017, 07:10:29 PM »

One more quote that proves to even a casual observer just what a tool the guy is. Boos for an opponent can include a certain level of respect. Boos for a former coach (who's not even an opponent) signal nothing but disdain and antipathy. Even a dense, coach speak simpleton should know that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »
One more quote that proves to even a casual observer just what a tool the guy is. Boos for an opponent can include a certain level of respect. Boos for a former coach (who's not even an opponent) signal nothing but disdain and antipathy. Even a dense, coach speak simpleton should know that.

What exactly is he supposed to say when a reporter asks him a question like that?  "Yeah,  Marquette fans are dicks"?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2017, 07:45:52 PM »
You can have ex-girlfriend who was great to you while you were together, but if the way you found out that she dumped you was by seeing her on TV talking about her richer, better-looking, and more popular new boyfriend, and that of course he's gonna dump you for him, that's going to sting for awhile.

Not if you're an adult who has their priorities in order.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2017, 08:43:22 PM »
What exactly is he supposed to say when a reporter asks him a question like that?  "Yeah,  Marquette fans are dicks"?

How about, "I realize I have my share of detractors but it still hurts a little. I gave Marquette everything I had and it would be nice if more people appreciated that. But it is what it is." I could write 500 more responses that would make at least a little sense and show an iota of humility, humanity and self awareness. Saying "They boo me because they respect me" fails on all accounts.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2017, 08:52:53 PM »
High school rankings within a state are meaningless.  He was a top 100 recruit who had 2 offers from "high major" teams, both from the same conference.  Hmm.  His 3rd best offer was Illinois State.  Hmm.  Pretty rare for a top 100 recruit to have that little interest.  I wonder why...

Top 100 recruit?  Can you provide some sources for that.

Here's the RSCI ratings for that year, he wasn't top 100. 

https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2000-final

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2017, 08:58:39 PM »
Dude had a solid week to prep for Kansas and didn't have an answer for their fast break. Not only peed down his leg, but also chitted his Haggars, big league, on college basketball's largest and most visible stage. Dat's all anyone needs ta know 'bout Thomas Crean, ai na?

Lon Kruger had a week to prepare for Villanova and lost by 44 points.  Coach Gibbs had two weeks to prepare for the Raiders and lost by 29.  Anything can happen in any game.  What did we shoot that game, 30% or something?  That won't get it done.  We beat the #1 team earlier in the week.  Enjoyed the ride.  I've enjoyed several Final Fours with MU, only one in the last 25 years.  The other two Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter were President.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2017, 09:04:49 PM »
Amongst the millenials you maybe right.

Those 40 and over its Oneil and not even close. 

The millenials see a team two years removed from the NCAA tourney and listened to Crean self market as to how terrible the place was.

Those over 40 saw a team in the MCC with anthony Candelino bringing the ball up that hadnt seen a tourney in 10 yrs n 3 coaches. 

Its not even a comparison if you have the perspective of having been around.  Oneil had the team rolling when he left arguably better than any Crean team sans 2003.  With 3 future NBA players his final yr.  Went from a low major league to a high major league too.  Won a reg season title and all the above.

I'm over 40 (by a lot) and it isn't close for me.

O'Neill coached when MU was an independent and in the MCC. Terrible competition.  Wisconsin was in the middle of a 54 year NCAA drought and of little worry in our own state.  KO did a great job, and to his credit played a tough out of conference schedule because the conference schedule was so bad.

If you loved defense, he was your guy. If you wanted offense, not a very good offensive coach and terribly boring to watch.   He was the right guy for that era, but proved over and over again at every stop that he is a short term answer.

MU has been blessed to have very good coaches over the years, each doing some things that should be applauded.  Some were program savers.  Some made us household name again and proved we could play at the highest levels in the land.  Doesn't make one better or worse than the other, they each made important contributions to Marquette basketball.

mufvr

• Walk-On
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2017, 09:07:25 PM »
Cream did a good job when he was here and left for a higher profile job.  Unfortunately, too many scoopers are thin skinned and are offended by that.  He's a good man and is going out of his way to come back to pay honors to an institution he respects.   Nobody should boo him for that.  I'll be there tomorrow and will give him a strong applause when he's announced.  I am confident others there will show some class and do the same.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2017, 09:10:30 PM »
Cream did a good job when he was here and left for a higher profile job.  Unfortunately, too many scoopers are thin skinned and are offended by that.  He's a good man and is going out of his way to come back to pay honors to an institution he respects.   Nobody should boo him for that.  I'll be there tomorrow and will give him a strong applause when he's announced.  I am confident others there will show some class and do the same.

Thanks for stopping by, Tom. Best of luck in the job search.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2017, 10:02:54 PM »
"I think Marquette at that time was really close to kind of calling it a day on Division I basketball,” said McIlvaine, who owns the program record for blocked shots (399) and is now a radio analyst for Marquette games.
“This was kind of a ‘we're going to give this one more shot’ kind of deal. I think they brought the right guy at the right time."

Jim McIlvaine on kevin Oneil

Conversely, 

Tom Crean came in to rebuild a program that had won 100 games, went to a NIT final, went to two NCaas, and won a confernece title in the previous 5 years, and had gone to 4 ncaas in the previous 7 yrs.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2017, 10:04:43 PM »
Thanks for stopping by, Tom. Best of luck in the job search.

I understand the standard issue snarky response must be posted but the quoted wasn't wrong with the main issue: Crean did a good job at MU, left for a higher profile job, and many Scoopers are thin skinned jilted toddlers in response to that. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2017, 10:43:28 PM »
Some people here seem to think we have to choose between appreciating KO or TC.  I choose to appreciate both, because they both left the program much better than they found it.

KO took us from a very dark place, and brought us back to relevance and a Sweet 16.

TC started in a better place, but then brought us Wade, a Final Four, the Al and the Big East.