[Today at 09:48:00 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by NCMUFan
[Today at 09:02:10 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:33:32 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 08:02:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Could you eat $1000 worth of McDonald's in 36 hours?  (Read 4945 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Could you eat $1000 worth of McDonald's in 36 hours?
« on: May 02, 2017, 11:20:59 PM »
Interesting Twitter debate where a guy bet another guy he could eat $1000 worth of McDonald's in 36 hours, no drinks allowed, only $200 in salad.

I didn't think it could be done, but customizing the menu could get you there. Also buying at the airport would easily get you there.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Could you eat $1000 worth of McDonald's in 36 hours?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 06:59:40 AM »
I would say no. That would be a Big Mac every 8 minutes or so. The salads are more expensive but also take longer to eat.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 07:51:57 AM »
Nah, grain-free, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:09:34 AM »
Interesting Twitter debate where a guy bet another guy he could eat $1000 worth of McDonald's in 36 hours, no drinks allowed, only $200 in salad.

I didn't think it could be done, but customizing the menu could get you there. Also buying at the airport would easily get you there.

How much was the wager, and did it include the cost of the inevitable trip to the emergency room?
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 08:25:34 AM »
Nah, grain-free, hey?

"All McFlurries, All the Time", ai-na?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:32:03 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 08:33:28 AM »

Bragging about your own stupidity is NOT a virtue.

Why would this guy want to be known?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 09:41:57 AM »
Might be a fool's bet.  The automated ordering systems that were being piloted had (maybe still have) a glitch... not sure if it was everything or just certain items, but evidently you could select an "extra" options (e.g. extra mayo) an unlimited number of times even though when the kitchen saw the order, it only had "extra..." once.  Since McD's charges every time you customize (usually 10c or 20c, depending on the extra), you could theoretically order extra cheese 15,000 times on a Big Mac and end up with one Big Mac with three slices of cheese and a $3000 bill.

That said, I don't know if these kiosks are around anymore, let alone if the software is the same.  So maybe there's another angle.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »
Impossible

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »
I say no way.

Because I only use my time in the best way, I did a little research. Apparently it's $4.49 for a 10 piece nugget. $1000 at $.45/nugget is 2,222 nuggets. That's about 62 nuggets per hour, or a nugget a minute for a day and half straight.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 12:14:23 PM »
I say no way.

Because I only use my time in the best way, I did a little research. Apparently it's $4.49 for a 10 piece nugget. $1000 at $.45/nugget is 2,222 nuggets. That's about 62 nuggets per hour, or a nugget a minute for a day and half straight.

10 piece McNugget is 470 calories or 47 calories per McNugget

http://fastfoodnutrition.org/mcdonalds/chicken-nuggets-strips/chicken-mcnuggets/10-piece

2,222 McNuggets X 47 calories = 104,434 calories

If you assume 2,500 calories per day is normal, that works out to 41.78 days of calories in 36 hours.

Trip to the emergency ward will not be necessary ... going straight to the morgue.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 12:15:32 PM »
I say no way.

Order the six-piece.  It's more expensive per nugget and therefore, you would have fewer to eat.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »
No drinks? The guy will die from choking before the crappy food gets him!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 12:24:17 PM »
Confession time:  I love Big Macs.  I find myself ordering the "#1 meal" at least every other week. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »
How much was the wager, and did it include the cost of the inevitable trip to the emergency room?

It was never revealed what the actual wager was, maybe it wasn't even real, but thought it was interesting.

Joey Chestnut weighed in, and said he didn't think it was possible, and if it was, you'd at least have to probably be at a McD in NYC, that was also open 24 hours.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »
It was never revealed what the actual wager was, maybe it wasn't even real, but thought it was interesting.

Joey Chestnut weighed in, and said he didn't think it was possible, and if it was, you'd at least have to probably be at a McD in NYC, that was also open 24 hours.

Or do it in Zurich where Big Macs, when converting dollars to Swiss Francs can be as much as $10 a piece.  More if you do it at the Zurich airport where everything is a premium.

90 to 100 big macs in 36 hours.  3.6 hour

Total calories (500 per mac) is 50,000 or 20 days of calories (assuming 2500/day).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:33:08 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »
Do you have to keep it down?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 04:49:52 PM »
Or do it in Zurich where Big Macs, when converting dollars to Swiss Francs can be as much as $10 a piece.  More if you do it at the Zurich airport where everything is a premium.

90 to 100 big macs in 36 hours.  3.6 hour

Total calories (500 per mac) is 50,000 or 20 days of calories (assuming 2500/day).

You could easily get to $3,000 by overnighting a dozen Big Macs from Zurich and exchanging your money through a few currencies first.

Honestly, you'd have to channel Monty Brewster in order to pull off this feat.  It's impossible otherwise.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »
You could easily get to $3,000 by overnighting a dozen Big Macs from Zurich and exchanging your money through a few currencies first.

Honestly, you'd have to channel Monty Brewster in order to pull off this feat.  It's impossible otherwise.

None of the above

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 10:11:25 PM »
I'd have trouble eating $36 of Mickey D food in 1,000 hours!

(Actually, that's not true. Although I haven't been in awhile, I don't mind quite a few of their offerings. Plus, MCD is one of my largest stock holdings. I just liked that line.)

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »
I say no way.

Interesting calculation...for reasons explained below.

The closest I ever got (i.e., not close) was as a sophomore in high school.  The parents of one of the kids on the swim team owned the local McDonald's.  After the season, they let us have a party at the McD, and we could have as much of anything as we wanted.  The only rule was that we had to order one item at a time from the kid's mom (plus fries, if we wanted).  She did it this way because she didn't want us ordering a bunch of things and then not finishing it.  There was a little variety at first with different sandwiches and fries, but it pretty quickly became a chicken mcnugget eating contest -- they were a pretty new menu item at the time.  People didn't bother too much with fries after the first round or two, because they were just taking up valuable mcnugget real estate.  I don't remember exact numbers, but some of us definitely got into the 100-120 range over a couple hours - in the neighborhood of one nugget per minute.  Oh to be young and with a fast metabolism again (and swimming 10k+ yards a day).

Long winded way of saying:  based on personal sorta-related experience, it's not possible.  There's no way someone could keep up that pace for an entire 36 hours.  Not.  Possible.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 09:01:20 AM »
Interesting calculation...for reasons explained below.

The closest I ever got (i.e., not close) was as a sophomore in high school.  The parents of one of the kids on the swim team owned the local McDonald's.  After the season, they let us have a party at the McD, and we could have as much of anything as we wanted.  The only rule was that we had to order one item at a time from the kid's mom (plus fries, if we wanted).  She did it this way because she didn't want us ordering a bunch of things and then not finishing it.  There was a little variety at first with different sandwiches and fries, but it pretty quickly became a chicken mcnugget eating contest -- they were a pretty new menu item at the time.  People didn't bother too much with fries after the first round or two, because they were just taking up valuable mcnugget real estate.  I don't remember exact numbers, but some of us definitely got into the 100-120 range over a couple hours - in the neighborhood of one nugget per minute.  Oh to be young and with a fast metabolism again (and swimming 10k+ yards a day).

Long winded way of saying:  based on personal sorta-related experience, it's not possible.  There's no way someone could keep up that pace for an entire 36 hours.  Not.  Possible.

That's a great story, SAW.

We had a Mickey D's an easy walk from my high school. It also was right off an I-95 exit, so it was a very busy, popular one.

When I was on the swim team, we had to practice at one of the city's other HS, as it was the only one with a pool. It was a 20-30 minute bus ride each way. We'd finish our 2-hour practice, which as you know usually includes miles and miles of swimming. Then would come that bus ride. And I would be voraciously hungry by the time I got back to my school. I'd walk up to that Mickey D's and order a bunch of crud and snarf it down while waiting for my parents to pick me up.

My swimming coach always wondered why I didn't lose weight with all the swimming we did!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 09:23:17 AM »
All this talk reminded me of a story I read about Michael Phelps. He eats something like 10,000 calories a day. Could he potentially handle the challenge?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 10:13:50 AM »
All this talk reminded me of a story I read about Michael Phelps. He eats something like 10,000 calories a day. Could he potentially handle the challenge?

Phelps, the Rock, etc. Even some of the competitive eaters put down a ton of food - search "Matt Stonie" on youtube for some of his crazy/daily eatings.

I still don't think they could do it.

BTW, this all started with that d-bag Dan Bilzerian

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »

Back when the U.S. Olympic Festival was a thing in the early '90s, it was in the Twin Cities when I was a sportswriter there. I did a story on a racquetball player who consumed at least 10K calories a day. Despite that intake, he ate only healthy foods. I remember that a staple of his diet was banana sandwiches on whole-grain bread - he'd eat something like 10 a day. He also said he treated himself to one or two Big Macs a year, IIRC.

But yeah, of course Phelps consumes a lot of calories. The guy is famous for an activity that tends to give a dude the munchies!