Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:25:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul hires head coach of La Lumiere  (Read 25624 times)

Pakuni

• All American
DePaul hires head coach of La Lumiere
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:42:38 PM »
Hmmm. Savvy recruiting move, I suppose.

FWIW, he is a Chicago-area guy. Went to Marian Central in Woodstock.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:07:54 PM by Pakuni »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: DePaul hires head coach of La Lumiere
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »
Squirmy

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »
The La Lumiere coach must think he can walk on water ... because it will probably take that type of miracle to get one of their stud recruits to follow him to Depaul.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 02:04:42 PM »
It's desperation..they can't get recruits the old fashioned way..so bring in a coach that so happens to have coached Brian Bowen and Tyger Campbell. Whatever makes you feel better about yourselves DePaul.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 02:05:56 PM »
It's desperation..they can't get recruits the old fashioned way..so bring in a coach that so happens to have coached Brian Bowen and Tyger Campbell. Whatever makes you feel better about yourselves DePaul.
Worked with Garrett!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 02:38:59 PM »

How is hiring Heirman fundamentally different than Wojo hiring Stan Johnson?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 03:20:06 PM »
Character revealed

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 03:44:53 PM »
Not to go all chico's and name drop on everyone, but I've met Shane a couple of times through a mutual friend. Nice guy, really young still, only 28. Was very complimentary of Wojo and Marquette's program. Think it's a good hire for Depaul, he brought in a lot of talent to a prep school in the middle of nowhere Indiana.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 03:47:33 PM »
Not to go all chico's and name drop on everyone, but I've met Shane a couple of times through a mutual friend. Nice guy, really young still, only 28. Was very complimentary of Wojo and Marquette's program. Think it's a good hire for Depaul, he brought in a lot of talent to a prep school in the middle of nowhere Indiana.

Shane was a Marquette student for one semester before transferring to Tulsa where I think he walked-on to the program.  McHenry, IL native.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:49:11 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 04:25:28 PM »
Just wait until Bowen's other coach is hired. McD can't compete with that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 04:34:22 PM »
I will laugh my ass off if they hired Heirman, and will hire Bowen's AAU Coach and he still goes someplace else.  ;D

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 04:39:52 PM »

How is hiring Heirman fundamentally different than Wojo hiring Stan Johnson?

C'mon man...you are smarter than this...Heriman just so happens to Coach Tyger Cambell and Brian Bowen, two recruits DePaul is targeting..It was done for that reason and that reason alone...to try to land those two. Stan was never a HS Coach or AAU Coach of a recruit MU was trying to land. I hate this practice by ANY school...you can't land a guy(s) on your own, so bring in their HS coaches to make it happen. It's the same thing Missou did with Michael Porter Sr., same thing Memphis did with Old man Lawson. Same thing other schools do to land top talent. It's a practice non blue bloods partake in frequently..and I wouldn't like it one bit if MU did it, and I'm pretty leniant with most things as far as bringing in talent(like bringing in someone better, forcing a transfer of lessor player). I want MU to become elite on their own merits, not some shady way like this.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 04:56:03 PM »
C'mon man...you are smarter than this...Heriman just so happens to Coach Tyger Cambell and Brian Bowen, two recruits DePaul is targeting..It was done for that reason and that reason alone...to try to land those two. Stan was never a HS Coach or AAU Coach of a recruit MU was trying to land. I hate this practice by ANY school...you can't land a guy(s) on your own, so bring in their HS coaches to make it happen. It's the same thing Missou did with Michael Porter Sr., same thing Memphis did with Old man Lawson. Same thing other schools do to land top talent. It's a practice non blue bloods partake in frequently..and I wouldn't like it one bit if MU did it, and I'm pretty leniant with most things as far as bringing in talent(like bringing in someone better, forcing a transfer of lessor player). I want MU to become elite on their own merits, not some shady way like this.

No, but Stan was a close family friend of Markus Howard when Wojo hired him.

Look, DePaul did nothing wrong here. Even without the connections to Bowen, the guy has built a very impressive resume at a young age. He's easily qualified for the gig.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 04:58:23 PM »
Don't blame DePaul one bit. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 05:03:29 PM »
No, but Stan was a close family friend of Markus Howard when Wojo hired him.

Look, DePaul did nothing wrong here. Even without the connections to Bowen, the guy has built a very impressive resume at a young age. He's easily qualified for the gig.

You could even make the case that what Marquette did was worse because Stan built a relationship with Markus and Brendan Bailey while he was emplyed by a competitor of Marquette's, Arizona State.

Also, there is no guarantee that Bowen goes to DePaul, I'll be kind of surprised, if he does.  What DePaul will get is a young coach from the area who has shown a recruiting touch when going after great HS players.

I think that DePaul is thinking longer term with Heirman then they were with Billy's Garrett's dad.  Personally, I'm glad to see DePaul making a solid effort to become competitive in the Big East which I think is good for everyone in the league.  (No need to reargue whether a strong DePaul is good for Marquette or not, but if you've got nothing else going on today.....)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:08:54 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »
Shane was a Marquette student for one semester before transferring to Tulsa where I think he walked-on to the program.  McHenry, IL native.

Wojo successor?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 08:17:54 PM »
If DePaul can come up with consecutive years of good recruiting classes they may be able to move out of the Big East cellar. If hiring this young man is going to help them do that then it i is a good hire.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 10:44:16 PM »
Heriman just so happens to Coach Tyger Cambell and Brian Bowen, two recruits DePaul is targeting.

http://247sports.com/Player/Tyger-Campbell-75700

Michigan State Warm
Alabama Cool
Creighton Cool
DePaul Cool
Illinois Cool

http://247sports.com/Player/Brian-Bowen-37000

Arizona Warmer
Creighton Warmer
Michigan State Warmer
N.C. State Warm
Texas Warm

If Heriman is using Cambell and Bowen to help him move to the next step, why the dumpster fire that is Depaul?  If these players are getting offers from the likes of Michigan State, AZ and Creighton seems like "better programs" would consider Heriman.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting Heriman get hired by MSU, AZ or CU, just that he could do better than Depaul.

Is he bullish on Depaul's new stadium by McCormick Place?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:47:14 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 10:56:25 PM »
It's a practice non blue bloods partake in frequently.

Like when that non blue blood Kansas, led by no-name Larry Brown, hired Ed Manning?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 11:01:55 PM »
Like when that non blue blood Kansas, led by no-name Larry Brown, hired Ed Manning?

34 years ago ... nothing new under the sun

WANTED: COACH AND SON
Published: September 30, 1983

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/09/30/sports/wanted-coach-and-son.html

Brown said he discussed the son's basketball prowess with Ed Manning when he offered the job. ''I was up front and honest with him right from the start,'' said Brown. ''I'm not embarrassed by what I've done in the least.''

Brown pointed out that it is not unusual for colleges to hire high school coaches in order to land top players. Kansas has a tradition of such conduct. Under Brown's predecessor, Ted Owens, the high school coaches of recruits Darnell Valentine and Norm Cook were given jobs.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 11:09:52 PM »
Candid Coaches: It's OK to hire a prospect's father if it will help land a recruit
Four out of five college coaches believe hiring a person to get a player is no longer frowned upon
Gary Parrish   
@GaryParrishCBS
Aug 12, 2016

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-its-ok-to-hire-a-prospects-father-if-it-will-help-land-a-recruit/

Larry Brown once hired Danny Manning's father, which was widely frowned upon but incredibly successful. And John Calipari hired Dajuan Wagner's dad. And, later, Tyreke Evans' trainer. And, yes, Bill Self used to employ Ronnie Chalmers, whose son hit this shot in the championship game of the 2008 NCAA Tournament ... In other words, package deals have been happening forever. Some of the biggest names in college basketball have participated. And they were brought back into the national headlines this summer when Washington's Lorenzo Romar added Michael Porter Sr. to his staff in a move that ensured a subsequent commitment from a consensus top-five prospect from the Class of 2017 -- his son, Michael Porter Jr.

Is this type of thing still frowned upon in the profession?

To find out, we asked more than 100 coaches the following question:

Do you have an issue with coaches doing package deals?
Yes   16 percent
No   84 percent

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
http://247sports.com/Player/Tyger-Campbell-75700

Michigan State Warm
Alabama Cool
Creighton Cool
DePaul Cool
Illinois Cool

http://247sports.com/Player/Brian-Bowen-37000

Arizona Warmer
Creighton Warmer
Michigan State Warmer
N.C. State Warm
Texas Warm

If Heriman is using Cambell and Bowen to help him move to the next step, why the dumpster fire that is Depaul?  If these players are getting offers from the likes of Michigan State, AZ and Creighton seems like "better programs" would consider Heriman.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting Heriman get hired by MSU, AZ or CU, just that he could do better than Depaul.

Is he bullish on Depaul's new stadium by McCormick Place?
He is a young guy. Getting paid good money and living in Lincoln Park has to be very attractive. Also there is no downside given DePauls present dumpster fire status . If anything even marginally positive happens it is enough to help propel him.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:52:51 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 07:59:25 PM »
He is a young guy. Getting paid good money and living in Lincoln Park has to be very attractive. Also there is no downside given DePauls Dumpster present dumpster fire status . If anything even marginally positive happens it is enough to help propel him.

I get this and you're probably correct. 

So, it is wrong of me to think ... another slacker millennial that does not want to work too hard, live in a hip area with cool bars, Wrigley Field, and hot girls.  It sounds like he values having a good time more than success in his career/job.  So, he is perfect for the dumpster fire that is Depaul.

You also wrote this, which again is probably true ...

no downside given DePauls Dumpster present dumpster fire status. If anything even marginally positive happens it is enough to help propel him.

So he does not really believe in his abilities/skills and has to "game" the system. 

If he really believed in himself, why doesn't he "kick in the door" of a Izzo, Archie Miller (now IU) or some program of that stature and tell them that he was able to get Bowen and Campbell to come to the middle of nowhere Indiana, help them progress as a player, so he can help you do the same.  (FYI - I've been to La Lumiere many times and it truly is in the middle of nowhere)

If he has that much confidence, couldn't he find a better place to start than the dumpster fire that is Depaul? 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:06:40 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 08:15:50 PM »
What leads you to believe he doesn't want to work hard?  On the contrary, he seems to have worked very hard to get where he is now.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 09:06:51 PM »
What leads you to believe he doesn't want to work hard?  On the contrary, he seems to have worked very hard to get where he is now.

Until Depaul changes, it seems like a place that careers go to die.  Don't understand why one thinks it a place to start.

feedback