collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Defibrillators  (Read 4341 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Defibrillators
« on: April 26, 2017, 11:04:51 PM »
Amazing machines.  If someone collapses and one is available get the patches on and power it up.  It will tell you exactly what needs to happen.  If it's heart related it will tell you if/when you need to shock, when compressions are needed, etc.  If it is not heart related it will tell you not to shock.

Most importantly call 911 but getting it up and running cannot hurt.  At the very least YouTube how to use one.  Taking a CPR class can't hurt.

One of the guys we were playing basketball with went into cardiac arrest tonight.  Had I had to deal with it on my own I might not have thought to get it up and running because it seemed almost like a seizure and I wouldn't have been sure how it would've worked/if it could've actually hurt the situation.  It turned out to possibly have saved this person's life and took an unbelievable response by everyone who was there.  Incredible.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Defibrillators
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 07:11:37 AM »
Props kin. I'm a huge proponent of AED placement in public areas. Unfortunately, they cost money and are not always budgeted for and therefore are absent. Always aware in an airport, arena, mall, etc. if the universal sign is present, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 07:25:26 AM »
Good for you, wades.  Timely defibrillation is the best tool during a cardiac arrest.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 08:15:24 AM »
Can't say I did much in terms of the AED use or anything.  I called 911 immediately and was on the phone and then waiving down the ambulance and squad (entrance was in the back of the building off of the road that you take to get there).

More just want to get the word out that they are incredible devices that should be used if someone you are around collapses even if you don't think it's related to the heart at all.  If I were left to make the call on what it was I would've guessed seizure (he seemed to be choking a little bit and while some of the guys were moving him to try to keep his airways clear he seemed to be convulsing a bit, but turns out it was probably just that he was dead weight and they were moving him is my guess).  It has been a few years since I had to take a CPR course so I didn't really even remember that AEDs tell you if a shock needs to be used and if you should be doing compressions.  Basically no harm in patching someone up and turning the power on from what I can tell.

Props kin. I'm a huge proponent of AED placement in public areas. Unfortunately, they cost money and are not always budgeted for and therefore are absent. Always aware in an airport, arena, mall, etc. if the universal sign is present, hey?

I will definitely be much more aware of that as well now.  You never think it's going to be needed around you (or on you) until it is.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:19:42 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 09:05:13 AM »
Well done, wades!

PulsePoint is an excellent app to have on your phone. It shows you where AEDs are located in public areas and allows users to register device locations and even upload a pic of the device so it's easier to locate.

Recent studies have shown that getting the heart going is more important than doing mouth-to-mouth or clearing the airways to get oxygen moving again. A person likely has 8-10 minutes of oxygen in their blood that will keep them alive. Compressions and a defib to bring back a heartbeat are much more important.

One other piece of advice that has stuck with me is calling out for a specific person to call 911. Too often, a person yells out "Call 911!" before starting compressions and the people around, many of whom are in shock, assume that someone else will call. If you know someone nearby, point to that person directly, call out his/her name and tell them to call 911. If you don't know anyone's name, point to a person, make eye contact and say, "You! Call 911!" Some people may take action on their own but it's better to have 6 people calling than 6 people thinking someone else will.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »
Well done, Wades. Those are the kind of non ball threads I like to read.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
Well done, wades.

Tower, have you ever used a Lucas device?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 11:08:36 AM »
We messed around with an early version of it 20-25 years ago.     I have not used that specific device.    We have not adopted it on my department.    One of the things our department has done that WAS considered cutting edge but in hindsight is common sense is to send a second crew to any reported cardiac arrests.    We have private ambulance companies who transport as well as give the drugs.    Sending a second crew allows us to do 2 minutes of really aggressive compressions and then tag out for the next one.    After a couple of minutes, no matter how hard you try, your compression depth gets worse.    Fatigue.    We have had a ridiculously high rate of getting patients,  who didn't have a heartbeat when we arrived, to the hospital with a heartbeat.     
   I can definitely see the virtues of a Lucas device if you are in a place that lacks manpower or is a long way from the hospital.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 01:01:42 PM »
good on ya wades-one is never sure how we are going to react in situations as you were in.  fortunately, i haven't had to find out myself, but we still keep our CPR certification up to date including the AED.   this is what guys like tower and brew(right?) do every day-thank you!  hope i never need the real test. knock on wood, but the only thing i've needed my emergency kit was for glucose and benadryl

don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 02:24:07 PM »
Could have used one during a couple of games last year. Glad for the outcome. Marc could have used one to help save his life if he was still in the gym as he was just a minute before.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 03:33:32 PM »
We messed around with an early version of it 20-25 years ago.     I have not used that specific device.    We have not adopted it on my department.    One of the things our department has done that WAS considered cutting edge but in hindsight is common sense is to send a second crew to any reported cardiac arrests.    We have private ambulance companies who transport as well as give the drugs.    Sending a second crew allows us to do 2 minutes of really aggressive compressions and then tag out for the next one.    After a couple of minutes, no matter how hard you try, your compression depth gets worse.    Fatigue.    We have had a ridiculously high rate of getting patients,  who didn't have a heartbeat when we arrived, to the hospital with a heartbeat.     
   I can definitely see the virtues of a Lucas device if you are in a place that lacks manpower or is a long way from the hospital.

The private ambulance company I worked for was starting to add them to every truck a couple years ago, but I left around then and never got to use one. I did a couple training sessions on them though, and they seem pretty legit.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 03:48:03 PM »
My friend had a mild attack few years ago, but did not require any device, cpr, etc.  went to hospital and had a blockage that was fixed with stent.  Doctors told him he was lucky, but scared the crap out of him.

Based on his cardiac event, and researching how the devices work, he bought a device and has it in his home.  Believe he spent $1,500 and he trained his wife how to utilize it. 

Maybe these things will be common device each family has at their residences in years to come. 

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 04:08:45 PM »
Well done, Wades.

Nearly 10 years ago, I lost a high school student due to a lack of knowledge on how to operate an AED.  Her tragedy led to the passing of an Illinois law.
http://www.kcchronicle.com/2013/12/16/former-st-charles-north-student-inspires-bill-to-require-aed-cpr-training/anofdo5/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:11:20 PM by WI inferiority Complexes »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 04:10:22 PM »
It's standard to use these in every emt and cpr class now. I can't remember the last public building I was in that didnt have an AED.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 05:12:07 PM »
AED's are fairly straightforward to use.    However, having the presence of mind to remember them, get them, and follow the directions while under great stress is the challenge. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 05:32:04 PM »
AED's are fairly straightforward to use.    However, having the presence of mind to remember them, get them, and follow the directions while under great stress is the challenge. 

Here I go away from Scoop for a few weeks, and God must hate me that this is the 1st topic I come back to on the Superbar.

I took it upon myself to learn how to use an AED a couple years ago, and I suggest everyone else do the same.  All of the units today are self-operating with pictograms showing how to use - most even have voice prompts in multiple languages.  I honestly believe that a chimpanzee could be trained to set one of these things up if tragedy struck.  Nevertheless, it's unequivocally true that when an emergency strikes, it's not that easy to follow the directions and voices no matter how intelligent or grounded you are (or think you are)... in fact, it might not be a bad idea to train chimpanzees since they'd have more presence of mind than most humans in that situation.

At the very least, everyone should watch a YouTube video or some sort of online demonstration of how these things work.  Like right now.  Grab a friend, spouse, co-worker, or even a random stranger, just type "AED Demonstration" or "AED Training" into YouTube and take a few minutes of your time because Wades probably won't be there next time.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 07:10:52 PM »
Here I go away from Scoop for a few weeks, and God must hate me that this is the 1st topic I come back to on the Superbar.

I took it upon myself to learn how to use an AED a couple years ago, and I suggest everyone else do the same.  All of the units today are self-operating with pictograms showing how to use - most even have voice prompts in multiple languages.  I honestly believe that a chimpanzee could be trained to set one of these things up if tragedy struck.  Nevertheless, it's unequivocally true that when an emergency strikes, it's not that easy to follow the directions and voices no matter how intelligent or grounded you are (or think you are)... in fact, it might not be a bad idea to train chimpanzees since they'd have more presence of mind than most humans in that situation.

At the very least, everyone should watch a YouTube video or some sort of online demonstration of how these things work.  Like right now.  Grab a friend, spouse, co-worker, or even a random stranger, just type "AED Demonstration" or "AED Training" into YouTube and take a few minutes of your time because Wades probably won't be there next time.

100% agree, but quite literally, the problem is you can't teach or prepare someone for how to react when the deal is real.  yes, preparedness should alleviate much of that, but once again, just as tower stated, when the heat is on...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 06:47:21 AM »
Quadruple bypass surgery today for the guy so prayers up for him.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 09:50:36 AM »
My friend had a mild attack few years ago, but did not require any device, cpr, etc.  went to hospital and had a blockage that was fixed with stent.  Doctors told him he was lucky, but scared the crap out of him.

Based on his cardiac event, and researching how the devices work, he bought a device and has it in his home.  Believe he spent $1,500 and he trained his wife how to utilize it. 

Maybe these things will be common device each family has at their residences in years to come.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/137-2279816-6110539?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=philips+heartstart

Only $1,200 now @ Amazon.  Costco sells them, too... won't save you any money, but lifetime guarantee.

Seems that AED's are also FSA/HSA eligible w/o Rx (but don't quote me on that).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »
Plenty of good discussion in this topic.

1 of the road captains in our HOG chapter carries an AED on every ride we take and to be honest, our chapter is chock full of old timers potential candidates.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:43:59 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 12:18:28 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/137-2279816-6110539?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=philips+heartstart

Only $1,200 now @ Amazon.  Costco sells them, too... won't save you any money, but lifetime guarantee.

Seems that AED's are also FSA/HSA eligible w/o Rx (but don't quote me on that).

One nice thing is that it won't "zap" you unless it has determined that you are actually having cardiac disrhythmia.  Therefore, no one has to be afraid of hooking someone up because they aren't sure and they are worried they might do more harm than good.

Also, I could imagine the hijinks that would occur in a dorm with one of these if it didn't have that safeguard.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »
Yeah, don't wanna hook up while chittin' yo Haggards, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 06:47:54 PM »
i heard they could be effective remedies for constipation too...clear!  ehh ehhhh ehhhhhn'aaaaahhhhhhhhh

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 07:27:22 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:39:25 PM by tower912 »

feedback