collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ESPN Layoffs  (Read 95405 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: ESPN Layoffs
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2017, 02:31:14 PM »
Maybe you should apply at ESPN.  Seems like they have 0 employees now.

You kid, but I went straight to their employment website.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2017, 03:11:27 PM »
Can't tell if you're serious or not. Len Elmore is a terrible color guy. I'm not sure there's anyone worse (non Dick Vitale division).

Fun fact.  Len's wife was a co-worker of glow's when we lived out in Boston.  That was back when he was attending Harvard Law with Marc Marotta.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2017, 03:28:55 PM »
As part of the fun, they are moving their ESPNU studio operation from Charlotte to Bristol and laying off several Charlotte employees.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2017, 03:32:15 PM »
I could see some of these writers going back into major newspapers again but covering more stories from a national angle (like ESPN).

Major newspapers are cutting staff, not hiring. And they certainly aren't hiring top-dollar "content providers."

ESPN "talent" will have trouble finding similar jobs, period. Most who do will take large pay cuts.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2017, 04:10:01 PM »
I wonder when Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and other streaming services start bidding on live sports.  On air talent and production personnel would either freelance or be employed by the entity wanting their games broadcast, i.e. NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.

Amazon has a deal with the NFL for games next year.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2017, 04:32:44 PM »
Roger Cossack is out as ESPN legal analyst.  Hey ESPN i'm available  8-)
Fear makes you dumb.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2017, 05:35:22 PM »
Len Elmore gone as well too bad. FS1 should make a run for him
He did games for FS1 last year.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2017, 05:42:08 PM »
With nearly every ESPN name released today, you could think about 2-3 competitors that person had just within ESPN.  Heck Roger Cossack had to battle it out with Adrienne Lawrence.  Why do they need two legal analysts?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2017, 06:02:53 PM »
When ESPN stopped producing sports highlights and sports discussion, and instead focused on pushing political sports stories like making Michael Sam the new Jackie Robinson via Josina Anderson, Caitlyn Jenner as an American hero and Colin Kaepernick as the new Rosa Parks of the NFL, I turned off ESPN and have gone exclusively to Fox Sports.  Today's decisions, in keeping personalities like Stephen A. Smith and dismissing Jayson Stark, is indicative of the type of programming they wish to produce.  That's fine, but it's not for me (and evidently 15 million more viewers since 2011). 

I'm sticking with NFL Network for draft coverage this weekend.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2017, 06:44:23 PM »
When ESPN stopped producing sports highlights and sports discussion, and instead focused on pushing political sports stories like making Michael Sam the new Jackie Robinson via Josina Anderson, Caitlyn Jenner as an American hero and Colin Kaepernick as the new Rosa Parks of the NFL, I turned off ESPN and have gone exclusively to Fox Sports.  Today's decisions, in keeping personalities like Stephen A. Smith and dismissing Jayson Stark, is indicative of the type of programming they wish to produce.  That's fine, but it's not for me (and evidently 15 million more viewers since 2011). 

That's not your quote, I could have sworn I  saw that on twitter earlier today. You stole that one word for word from somewhere I just can't remember who said it. Or maybe I'm just having a terrible case of deja vu.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:07:47 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2017, 07:17:16 PM »
That's not your quote, I could have sworn I  saw that on twitter earlier today. You stole that one word for word from somewhere I just can't remember who said it. Or maybe I'm just having a terrible case of deja vu.

Who gives a shyt? It's a good point
Bring back FFP!!!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2017, 07:23:23 PM »

i'd call racism on this....probably the same mentality as those who bashed jackie robinson, rosa parks, etc... back in their day.  interestingly enough...little about roger ailes and bill o'reilly.  trump proved there are many people that still like to hate on religion, gender, sexual preference and skin color.  history says that mentality will continue to fade. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2017, 07:25:29 PM »
Who gives a shyt? It's a good point
yeah...taking credit for other's words is fine.  melania did it to michelle.  crowley tried. 

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »

It's become unwatchable unless they are broadcasting a game.  Sports used to be the one place you could go to avoid the echo chamber.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2017, 07:53:51 PM »
It's become unwatchable unless they are broadcasting a game.  Sports used to be the one place you could go to avoid the echo chamber.
a) in before the lock
b) if you consider ESPN 'political' your sensitivity to political topics is set too low or you are confusing the comments section with the content
c) ESPN became unwatchable because they fell for the tabloid/shock jock/clickbait/saturated fat mentality that most of their consumers love.........it makes the consumer feel good even though they know in the long run it is going to kill them (or make them angry at everyone)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:56:27 PM by naginiF »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2017, 07:54:42 PM »

You are pushing the false narrative that 15 million viewers dropped ESPN.

In reality, 15 million viewers dropped CABLE.

While the end result is the same, it is not an indictment of ESPN, but rather of the cable industry itself.

I dropped cable 2 months ago - it was NOT because of ESPN, but rather because cable is 100% unresponsive to user's needs.

1. I called the cable company and asked to drop their phone service. I was told that my bill would increase if I did not use their phone service.

2. With 2 TVs, I was paying $35 a month just to rent the modem and two receivers. When I mentioned this, they said "try and find a better deal elsewhere".

I did.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2017, 07:58:18 PM »
i'd call racism on this....probably the same mentality as those who bashed jackie robinson, rosa parks, etc... back in their day.  interestingly enough...little about roger ailes and bill o'reilly.  trump proved there are many people that still like to hate on religion, gender, sexual preference and skin color.  history says that mentality will continue to fade.
Racism. Good lord, I hope your joking.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2017, 08:00:23 PM »

Pretty darn close. I recognized it from Dan McLaughlin's article on National Review.

Generally agree that ESPN should get back to sports highlights though.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:01:55 PM by JerseyWarrior »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2017, 08:08:37 PM »
Pretty darn close. I recognized it from Dan McLaughlin's article on National Review.

We'd all like to remember the old days when ESPN really showed highlights that we wanted. But it ain't gonna happen again. Highlights can be accessed much easier and tailored more specifically by other platforms. Millennials aren't going to sit through an hour of highlights just to see the results of a couple games they are interested in.

While the number don't take into account the growing number of subscribers to skinny platforms, such as Dish Network's SlingTV and Sony's PlayStation Vue, etc., the fact is that ESPN's brass needs to move quicker to keep up with change. They remind me of the record companies 16-18 years ago who ignored change until it was too late.

People are NOT losing interest in sports - just in the antiquated methods of delivery.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »

And MTV needs to get back to music videos! 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2017, 08:18:14 PM »
And MTV needs to get back to music videos!

Hmm.  Hadn't thought of that.  That's a pretty good analogy.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2017, 09:11:58 PM »
Racism. Good lord, I hope your joking.
So they're saying 15 million stopped watching espn because espn tried to compare the first openly gay football player to the first black baseball player? 

It's such a stupid comment, given that everyone and their mom knows you can't pick individual channels, but hell...lets use it as evidence that people don't want to hear about gay athletes...which leads me to believe the mention of Steven A has to do with more than a big mouth as I'm sure they wouldn't say the same about rush Limbaugh or bill O'Reilly.  I think the comment sucks...and stands for everything MU doesn't.

Make ESPN great again...we all know what that means...no need to pretend.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2017, 09:24:10 PM »
New ESPN guidelines recognize connection between sports, politics
Jim Brady, ESPN Public Editor
April 4, 2017, 2:17 AM CT

http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/816/new-espn-guidelines-recognize-connection-between-sports-politics

We wanted to err on the side of transparency and trust with our reporting,” Stiegman said, “but also give our columnists and commentators the freedom to discuss topics relevant to those sports fans who visit our platforms, even if the issues are political or social in nature.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2017, 09:49:57 PM »
Did Beth Winans survive?

So far, looks like she did.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2017, 09:51:20 PM »
espn is an entertainment company. understand that.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.