[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ESPN Layoffs  (Read 94453 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: ESPN Layoffs
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 10:31:48 PM »
If it results in FS1 bringing over an ESPNer who will replace Dickey, I'm all for it.

Just as long as FS1 doesn't replace Dickey with Dookie V.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 10:58:21 PM »
ND sucks

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 01:22:03 AM »
I'd be interested in a list of all the stupid sh*t that will "help MU/help recruiting/help the Big East."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 07:17:24 AM »
ESPN on-air talent reportedly offering to take pay cuts to keep jobs at network
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/espn-talent-reportedly-offering-pay-cuts-jobs-article-1.3098244

In March, Jim Miller, who wrote the 2011 book “Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN,” told the Sports Illustrated Media podcast that 40 to 50 employees could lose their jobs. This includes well-known TV personalities.

Miller believes that personalities like Mike Greenberg, “SportsCenter” anchors Neil Everett, Scott Van Pelt, Jemele Hill, Michael Smith and Stan Verrett are safe, along with “First Take’s” Stephen A. Smith.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 07:18:56 AM »
ND sucks

Seriously man, get some help.

This is really unhealthy

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 07:56:53 AM »
As I see it, the issue isn't that the live sports aren't drawing enough eyeballs, but the "personality based" programming such as SportsCenter and the various debate shows aren't.  The live sports are the most valuable asset that ESPN has.

So will they pay as much?  We will see.  But it will be their predominant programming well into the future.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 08:10:45 AM »
I'd be interested in a list of all the stupid sh*t that will "help MU/help recruiting/help the Big East."

There is none.  No recruit is coming to Marquette because Fox Sports might pick up some dropped ESPN personality.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »
... Get back to the highlights and less drama. ...

0 chance of this. Want to see Brewers highlights? They're available on demand with no waiting through NASCAR. Ditto for every highlight for fans of every team. Everything you want with nothing you don't.

The highlights show as appointment tv is dead because streaming lets me cut right to the two minutes I care about and cut out the 58 I don't.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 08:26:20 AM »
I wonder when Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and other streaming services start bidding on live sports.  On air talent and production personnel would either freelance or be employed by the entity wanting their games broadcast, i.e. NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.

An $8 per month sports pack available a la carte, maybe a slight discount if bundled with nonsports streaming.  The cost of internet plus streaming services would replace cable TV bills in the family budget.  But there will be more choices and flexibility in the new model versus cables historically all or nothing model.  Cable a la carte and streaming TV will be the competition of internet streaming companies like Netflix.  It will be interesting to see how the paradigm shift plays out.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 08:30:16 AM »
You're not going to see a lot of high priced talent leaving.   What you're going to see is them trimming down their news infrastructure where they may have over-expanded.   The days of every NFL team having multiple ESPN beat reporters is probably over. 

And its hard to say that ESPN overpaid for rights, those rights are what drives their carriage fees.  What they need to do now is balance their expenses.  With 100 million subs they could afford to be bloated, with 80-85 million they have to be more responsible.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 08:42:58 AM »
LOL, a good reporter like Ed Werder was just canned and the disastrous SC6, which symbolizes everything wrong with ESPN now, remains.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 08:49:11 AM »
You're not going to see a lot of high priced talent leaving.   What you're going to see is them trimming down their news infrastructure where they may have over-expanded.   The days of every NFL team having multiple ESPN beat reporters is probably over. 

And its hard to say that ESPN overpaid for rights, those rights are what drives their carriage fees.  What they need to do now is balance their expenses.  With 100 million subs they could afford to be bloated, with 80-85 million they have to be more responsible.

Highlighted is correct but ....

100 million subscribers was 2013 (when Pitt and Cuse bailed on the Big East for the ACC thinking the money in sports rights was infinite so they jumped to get it.  Instead they marked the peak in the sports bubble)

85ish million subscribers today.

If subscribers fall to 70 to 75 million by 2022 (5 years), what will ESPN and broadcasting right look like?  They will have lost a quarter of their 2013 revenue base.   No reason to believe the loss of subscribers is about to stop ... unless ESPN drastically cuts its carriage fees, which also causes them severe costs problems.

They are in a vicious spiral ... either they need to dramatically cut fees or watch subscribers dramatically leave.  Either way, they  get squeezed badly and eventually squeeze sports broadcasting rights.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 08:55:04 AM »
ND sucks

This is really unhealthy

Well, maybe. But ND does suck!

I mean, that's science!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 09:04:28 AM »
Well, maybe. But ND does suck!

I mean, that's science!!

You don't hate science, do you?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 09:22:35 AM »
LOL, a good reporter like Ed Werder was just canned and the disastrous SC6, which symbolizes everything wrong with ESPN now, remains.
LOL, ESPN knows who carries the ratings and who to cut. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2017, 10:19:06 AM »

This is really unhealthy

says the man who believes breitbart is not at all neo-nazi propaganda

i'm an ND football fan and i can confidently say ND does suck
Fear makes you dumb.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2017, 10:26:50 AM »

This is really unhealthy
This is one of the dumbest posts you've ever had Heisy.  ND does suck.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2017, 10:40:43 AM »
Dana O'Neil is a real shame -- great writer.
I always thought she was fair to Marquette and also she projected an understated sex appeal with that photo in the white turtle neck.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2017, 10:43:30 AM »
Get rid of the dreadful SC6 debacle and that will be a good start.
I hope they keep it and die! ;D

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
Here's the thing with ESPN, no matter how in danger they may be they're still gonna get a ton of people who want to work there. Lay off the expensive talent and hire a bunch of newbies who will work for a lot less.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2017, 10:47:19 AM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2017, 10:48:47 AM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2017, 10:52:54 AM »
I hope Chick's friend isn't on the list.