[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: EwingTown  (Read 24683 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: EwingTown
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2017, 08:58:15 AM »
Regardless of what you think of the hire...this is pretty rich of G'Town

@dcsportsbog
Patrick Ewing tells @JunksRadio that Georgetown has a nepotism clause and his son won't be allowed to stay on his staff

Now that's funny.  On the other hand, I suppose that if anyone knows the dangers of nepotism, it's Georgetown.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2017, 09:20:36 AM »

@dcsportsbog
Patrick Ewing tells @JunksRadio that Georgetown has a nepotism clause and his son won't be allowed to stay on his staff

I can't even...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2017, 09:39:32 AM »

@dcsportsbog

No way.  They've got to be trolling Gtown.  Funny though

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2017, 01:05:07 PM »

@dcsportsbog
They forgot to use teal
Goal is National Championship

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2017, 01:12:45 PM »

@dcsportsbog
Patrick Ewing tells @JunksRadio that Georgetown has a nepotism clause and his son won't be allowed will be required to stay on his staff

FIFY

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2017, 01:00:46 AM »
You got me on Taylor, although what happened there was Tyshawn had a better than expected senior year and had some better options in the Spring (like Kansas) than he had in the fall, if he could get out of his committment.  Still he was more of a Crean guy, making him an exception.  If you don't know that Buzz's appearance at MU resulted in a resurgence in MU's recruiting, then you either weren't there or weren't paying attention.  Why do you think he got the HC job?

That's some nice revisionist history there. Of that class, Crean already had Williams, landed Taylor and took Otule over Buzz's fierce objections. Buzz got Fulce, a JUCO with an injury history.

As for your final question, the answer is because Tony Bennett and Sean Miller each turned down the job first.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2017, 08:26:40 PM »
They aimed high and got shot down by Mike Brey, Shaka Smart, Ed Cooley, and Chris Mack. Hard to justify you "got your guy" when options 1, 2, 3, and 4 all said no.

Only Shaka and Brey were offered the job. Cooley and Mack were never contacted.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2017, 08:41:16 PM »

As a GT fan what are your early feelings about the situation, if you care to share.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2017, 06:49:26 AM »

What are the general thoughts about the Ewing hire over in Hoyaland?  Great hire?  Stupid hire?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »

It is true Mack was never contacted. It's also true Mack turned down their interest.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2017, 10:06:58 AM »
That is my recollection also. I thought I read something about Kansas being his dream school and they didn't have a spot in the fall. Then someone turned pro, Crean went to I4, and Buzz used the open spot on Jimmy Butler.

We came out ahead the way this played out.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »
It is true Mack was never contacted. It's also true Mack turned down their interest.

Yep. It's in everyone's interest to come out the winner. "I'll offer you a contract if you'll accept it"

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2017, 02:21:53 PM »
As a GT fan what are your early feelings about the situation, if you care to share.

It was not my first choice to go with Ewing. I was and of the opinion if the Hoyas wanted to make a clean break and get a high major coach they could have done that. That's not the direction the program chose to go.

That being said I think I underestimated the impact the Ewing hire would have nationally. The media response has been great. I think if he gets some good assistant coaches under him it could be a home run hire. I do believe he'll be good at the x's and o's aspect of the job and once he gets his feet wet and a good team around him he'll do well recruiting. People underestimate his determination. He's a grinder. He'll put in the work necessary to succeed.

Most fans have embraced his hiring even if it wasn't their first choice. There are always going to be a few naysayers after every coaching search, but overall the mood is positive and hopeful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2017, 02:45:05 PM »
It was not my first choice to go with Ewing. I was and of the opinion if the Hoyas wanted to make a clean break and get a high major coach they could have done that. That's not the direction the program chose to go.

That being said I think I underestimated the impact the Ewing hire would have nationally. The media response has been great. I think if he gets some good assistant coaches under him it could be a home run hire. I do believe he'll be good at the x's and o's aspect of the job and once he gets his feet wet and a good team around him he'll do well recruiting. People underestimate his determination. He's a grinder. He'll put in the work necessary to succeed.

Most fans have embraced his hiring even if it wasn't their first choice. There are always going to be a few naysayers after every coaching search, but overall the mood is positive and hopeful.

Thanks, hope things work out for the Best for GT and we all Win..  Stay positive, enjoy every sandwich.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2017, 03:01:40 PM »
Great start!

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/04/06/patrick-ewing-went-on-the-dan-patrick-show-and-proposed-committing-a-recruiting-violation/

Glow and I have wondered whether or not Wojo could ask Jimmy or Dwyane  to call a particular recruit to put in a good word for Marquette.  I guess the answer is "no".
Have some patience, FFS.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2017, 03:15:40 PM »
I believe when Shumpert visited for Madness, D-Wade couldn't talk to him. Wes could talk to Vander since they had a prior relationship.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »

This.  Front page of ESPN.com, The "A" block of PTI, leading SportsCenter.  I doubt many candidates would have gotten that attention.  Perhaps Brey & Shaka.  Cooley & Mack would have been a blip.  Winning the press conference is overrated and dangerous but this was nice to see.  I'm of the opinion he's solid hire. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2017, 04:12:55 PM »
That's some nice revisionist history there. Of that class, Crean already had Williams, landed Taylor and took Otule over Buzz's fierce objections. Buzz got Fulce, a JUCO with an injury history.

As for your final question, the answer is because Tony Bennett and Sean Miller each turned down the job first.

That is dead nuts wrong.  Buzz on numerous occasions spoke about him recruiting otule and that crean did not want him and that buzz begged n begged crean to offer him and that he went to bat for otule until crean finally obliged buzz.  Buzz also stated crean never knew otule only had 1 eye until he was signed, sealed n delivered on campus.  Otule was a houston kid and buzz hit houston hard
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »
That is dead nuts wrong.  Buzz on numerous occasions spoke about him recruiting otule and that crean did not want him and that buzz begged n begged crean to offer him and that he went to bat for otule until crean finally obliged buzz.  Buzz also stated crean never knew otule only had 1 eye until he was signed, sealed n delivered on campus.  Otule was a houston kid and buzz hit houston hard

Yep.  Here is PT's story on how Otule was recruited by Buzz.

https://painttouches.com/2013/02/26/in-buzz-he-trusts-chris-otule/

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »

Yep.  Here is PT's story on how Otule was recruited by Buzz.

https://painttouches.com/2013/02/26/in-buzz-he-trusts-chris-otule/

Did Buzz really want him? His assessment of Chris was rather harsh.

Or was it the case that Crean missed on his big-man targets, Buzz had his contact in Texas and Otule was a big. So, it came together.

But, Buzz begging Crean to take him. I don't know about. And, according to that article Buzz didn't even know about Chris' eye until the first days of practice.

Honestly, I have no idea where Mr. Sand-Knit comes up with his ideas.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 04:30:10 PM by RJax55 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2017, 04:40:23 PM »
That's some nice revisionist history there. Of that class, Crean took Otule over Buzz's fierce objections.

LOL. Now there's some major revisionist history - total BS.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2017, 06:32:19 PM »

Glow and I have wondered whether or not Wojo could ask Jimmy or Dwyane  to call a particular recruit to put in a good word for Marquette.  I guess the answer is "no".

We've had Jimmy and Wade and Jabari around the program before. I wonder if it's about semantics...Oh Jimmy is here today VS he's here to pitch you on Marquette.

At some point, the existence of those players as alumni are their own selling point.  Weird that AI would be a selling point for Georgetown